Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Hey another fellow ACT 110 owner!

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Cheers, Doc
Fellow ACT 110 owners, finally found a 2nd hand offer for an ACT 110
Been on the lookout for ages!

I think you guys have posted (or talked about) the upgrades that you did to your bikes; if not a problem, could you please share me the post links (or send me a PM)

P.s. Sorry for the bad images, I'll get more pics once I meet the owner in an hour.

The Bicycles thread-1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 15th January 2019, 17:25   #4067
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Fellow ACT 110 owners, finally found a 2nd hand offer for an ACT 110
Been on the lookout for ages!
Looks beautiful! Love this steel grey colour too. The other one being the dark green.

This one is the middle model I think between the green and the last blue (mine).

Alloy colored V brake arms, mine are black.

The saddle looks different too. Everything else is the same.

I'll look for my post or repeat it (no problems talking about my bike lol). Don't let her go.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Here it is .... pasting it below.

Lots of knowledgeable riders concur. It's arguably the best Indian made hybrid, period (though to be fair, both the alloy frame and wheels are Chinese).

The Trance Pro of Montra is the same frame, different fork. The curved steel one on the ACT is beautiful for touring and rough terrain.

I've upgraded the seat post to a double bolt more adjustable and secure one. ProMax (same brand as tgevIE adjustable stem). Put on padded bar-ends (at 20 degrees) that are great on a flat bar. Help while driving as well as climbing.

The rear wheel kept breaking spokes, so upgraded the whole wheel to much better and deeper aero Montra ones. Better rolling hub bearings. Thicker flange that does not transmit too much load to the spoke elbows (where they were breaking). Trying to convert the solid axle to a hollow one with a QR skewer. The front wheel already comes with the same. P.S. Tried a QR. Disaster. Changed back to my solid axle inside 2 days. Very happy.

Replaced all spoke nipples with heavy duty brass ones.Jagwire competition brake pads on both wheels, Jagwire cables (brake n gear), and replaced the stock 14-28 freewheel with a more hill friendly 14-34 MegaRange freewheel. Big difference. Bike take 270 mm spokes, in case anyone wants to know (could not find this info anywhere on the net).

Upgraded zefal rim liners, and GRL Edge Standard 700x35c export semi slicks with reflective sidewall sipes. Brilliant tyres. Though max inflate pressure is 60 psi. Keep the rear at 62, front 55-56.

A BTwin frame pump/bracket and a neon yellow bottle holder to replace the crappy alloy oe one that kept losing the bottle and had a wrap crimp that meant it used to auto-disintegrate on rough roads!, a generic Chinese cycle computer (SunDing speed, clock, time elapsed, distance - with backlight - within half a km of Strava!), a frame bag, ViaTerra Cycliste saddlebag, and a small handlebar bag up front for my Powerbank to charge the main front headlight - with maybe a top tube bag n cellphone holder, complete my brevet rig.

She weighs 13.5 kilos bone stock naked (removed the adjustable alloy kickstand that fits near the BB and fouls with the pedals), on the Giant scale. With full tour trim above, and BTwin plastic mudguards (with jugaad extensions and rubber flaps for the back tyre overhang and front derailleur exposed mechanism, she's around 15 kilos.

Not light, but not unmanageable.

Just took a photo ...

The Bicycles thread-img_20190115_174927.jpg

I've also put on 3M reflective tape front and rear and on the crank arms for night riding.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2019 at 17:53.
Old 15th January 2019, 18:49   #4068
Senior - BHPian

@ninjatalli

Can't edit my post anymore due to the time window, but check these out as well ...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4435448

And

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4503324

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th January 2019, 18:50   #4069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks beautiful! Love this steel grey colour too. The other one being the dark green.
Awesome! Thanks doc!

So the bike is in a okiesh condition (no surprises there); the original owner had kept it locked in a garage; current owner (of ~2 months) has been using it to move around locally
- the gear shifters are functioning (not very well) but the wires need to be changed
- the rear gear shifter is in a skeleton mode (plastic cover broken)
- all brake pads are bone dry
- will have to search for a new saddle
- the bike hasn't been serviced for months if not years, but the chain seems to have been oiled once in a while
- rusting at several places but the frame is in a decent condition
- tires are in a decent condition but will probably have to replace both tubes and tires to be on the safer side

These are the basic changes that I will have to do; later upgrades as time progresses

Overall price asked - 4K; I'm guessing the above upgrades will easily cross that amount

The question to be answered is what to do with the other vehicles at home. If I get this we then have
- An Italian road bike (need to get it from Bombay)
- A Btwin rockrider mtb (my brother uses it sparingly)
- A BSA Ladies cycle (my mom uses it daily)
- A old Hercules MTB cycle (that my brother refuses to dispose off)
- and this!

My family are probably going to push me out of the house to make space for the cycle if I get it. The other "issue" I had was I am not sure if this was a large size; the frame had no mention of the size and it felt like a medium.

P.s. Sorry forgot to take pics

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th January 2019 at 18:52.
Old 15th January 2019, 18:56   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The question to be answered is what to do with the other vehicles at home. If I get this we then have
- An Italian road bike (need to get it from Bombay)
- A Btwin rockrider mtb (my brother uses it sparingly)
- A BSA Ladies cycle (my mom uses it daily)
- A old Hercules MTB cycle (that my brother refuses to dispose off)
- and this!
Sounds good buddy. The photos look good.

This was how mine looked when I first saw her ... maybe that might help you compare.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4430195

I'd keep the roadie and the ACT (nothing comes close to her as a rough use all season all-rounder that is also quick ... and cheap ... and faster and lighter than many bikes twice her price).

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I am 180 cm tall with a 33" inseam. The ACT came in a single frame size only. Which TI boffins call Medium, but is a 19" frame (center of BB to top of frame seat tube). Hope that helps.

The rest is playing around with saddle height, fore and aft, and the adjustable handlebar stem to make her comfortable.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2019 at 19:17.
Old 15th January 2019, 21:33   #4071
BHPian

Some lowlife stole the saddle, saddle post and quick release clamp off my bike while it was parked at its regular place. Can anyone tell me from where I can order these for a montra helicon disk. I've searched the product site and didn't find these listed. Also what would be the estimated price for the same?

Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 22:05   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Some lowlife stole the saddle, saddle post and quick release clamp off my bike while it was parked at its regular place. Can anyone tell me from where I can order these for a montra helicon disk. I've searched the product site and didn't find these listed. Also what would be the estimated price for the same?

Thanks
About a thousand bucks for a seat post, 500-750 for a saddle, and another 500 for a clamp. Best to buy one with an Allen bolt and not a quick release one. You should be able to buy all of these from a Track n Trail outlet or a Decathlon. You only need to know the diameter of your seatpost.

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th January 2019, 22:16   #4073
BHPian

Quote:
About a thousand bucks for a seat post, 500-750 for a saddle, and another 500 for a clamp. Best to buy one with an Allen bolt and not a quick release one. You should be able to buy all of these from a Track n Trail outlet or a Decathlon. You only need to know the diameter of your seatpost.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks. Will check at the track n trail store tomorrow. Not at all thrilled about the 2k worth of damage

Edit: Below are the original specs
SADDLE
MONTRA COMMUTER SADDLE

SEAT POST
ZOOM, ALLOY, L: 300MM, D: 27.2MM

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8350483_2...-mm-black.html

https://www.decathlon.in/p/3640200_2...mp-collar.html

Are these the right replacement? Asking as the one of the review for the clamp suggests going for a 31.8mm incase of 27.2mm seat post

Last edited by kedar3223 : 15th January 2019 at 22:37.
Old 15th January 2019, 22:53   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Are these the right replacement? Asking as the one of the review for the clamp suggests going for a 31.8mm incase of 27.2mm seat post
Yup these are the correct ones.

The adaptors for the seatpost refers to shims for frames that take wider seatposts.

The clamp diameter refers to the outer diameter of the seat tube of the frame. Into which the seatpost goes.

I'd still suggest you get an Allen bolt clamp instead of this quick release one.

That would reduce the chances of you spending another 2k...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 18th January 2019, 05:35   #4075
Distinguished - BHPian

@Aravind,
Sorry but you have disabled to receive PMs so putting it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
Hello Ninjatalli,

I was looking to buy a bicycle through OLX, and chanced upon the same ACT 110 that you had posted about on the forum 2 days ago. I was planning to visit the seller over the weekend, and was very surprised to see your posts. Strange coincidence

I also noticed the love and enthusiasm that you show towards that particular model, so if you are willing to buy this one, I would not be visiting the seller - you definitely deserve it much more than I do. But do let me know if you are giving this one up - because of an already full garage, I shall schedule an appointment with the seller.

Thanks,
Aravind A
We'll Aravind, I have a proposition for you. I was planning on getting this bike but duty called and I'm writing this from Mumbai airport heading to a land far far away..........

... Actually just around the corner. For a few days.

So I really wanted to get the bike. It's in a ok condition, and with another 10k cash thrown, should be great for ownership. But I doubt it will be there till I come back to chennai next week.

So I present two options for you
1. You buy the bike for yourself. I and others on the forum would be happy to help you on the rework required. Happy ending.

2. (can) you buy the bike on my behalf. I come next week and buy you a drink of your choice (filter coffee, tea, or.....) as a vote of thanks and I spend the 10k to restore it. You have an open offer to use the bike for eternity (and as Danereys as very well explained to Jon Snow, by eternity we mean for ever )

Let me know. But please, let's not lose the bike.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th January 2019 at 05:36.
Old 18th January 2019, 09:22   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. (can) you buy the bike on my behalf. I come next week and buy you a drink of your choice (filter coffee, tea, or.....) as a vote of thanks and I spend the 10k to restore it. You have an open offer to use the bike for eternity (and as Danereys as very well explained to Jon Snow, by eternity we mean for ever )

Let me know. But please, let's not lose the bike.

Sounds like a Tamil potboiler!!!!

10k sounds way more than what I spent ... but I got the wheel and seatpost free as replacement by TI (very nice of them). I reached out to them with grouses about the spokes and the seatpost just not being able to adjust the saddle level. They did not have spare spokes, so sent me a whole assembled wheel (of superior quality). Ditto for the much better double bolt ProMax seatpost. You guys would have no doubt read about the horror stories of the early ACT seatposts breaking at the single bolt .... so was a relief.

If you are not going to be putting on very expensive rubber, and even if you replace all the running bits like brake shoes, cables, brake noodles, etc. Even a new rear shifter (300-400 bucks you get a decent Shimano or similarly indexed SRAM one). Rest of the wheels are good, you may just need new bearings and grease and proper truing. Some spokes maybe. I actually replaced all nipples and rebuilt both wheels. They were totally rusted (cheap Chinese OE ... replaced by good quality ones from Giant).

If the transmission and gears and chain are serviceable, then just a thorough diesel clean, sandpaper and WD40 TLC, and lots of lube, and she's good to go.

I even cleaned and replaced all the small pedal ball bearings and repacked with new grease. Made a world of difference. I like these old school alloy serviceable pedals compared to the new age sealed ones.

Replaced all the reflectors (wheels, pedals, frame front and rear).

You might want to replace the bearings on the bottom bracket as well. Huge difference. Hardly 300-350 bucks compared to 800-1500 for a new BB. I also spent 750 on a new freewheel for the rear to help with the steeper climbs. 7 speed has its limitations. With the MegaRange you are effectively converting the bike to a 6 speed. But it's not something you need for Chennai. Lol

A new saddle is 500-1000 from Decathlon (on sale). New grips maybe for the handlebars.

Do write in with the breakdown of your 10k. I'd like to hear your ideas for the bike.

Cheers, Doc
Old 21st January 2019, 02:32   #4077
BANNED

Hey Guys,

I currently own a Ladybird and Fatso(6 Speed, Fat Bike) and I'm of the heavier build.

I currently commute 50 kms a day on roads with gradual inclines on my motorcycle, I'm considering taking the greener route, the practical option would be to commute on the Ladybird but after a 60km ride not so long ago I felt half dead and it took me more than half a day to cover the distance.

Hence I'm contemplating going for another cycle I.e if that is more practical than using the ladybird, I have my eye out for the Mach City which is priced at around 7k for the base variant, seems to be made from alloy so rusting would not be an issue as it's a bugger on the Ladybird.

Do share your thoughts and suggestions.

P.S. Budget is an issue, hence I keep a 10k ceiling for now, though it can be stretched if absolutely required.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 21st January 2019 at 02:34.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:49   #4078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, this might have been discussed earlier. When it comes to dry lubes, I hear only imported lube names like finishline, muc off etc. Are these the only ones available? Don't we have any Indian product available? It would be cheaper since no customs would be applicable.
Hi,

You can try Looplube. An Indian product based out of Mysore, I believe. I am using the degreaser which is quite good. Have not tried the lube though.
Secondly - the lube is all weather with no distinction on wet or dry. Give it a try.
Available on Amazon...
Old 21st January 2019, 10:52   #4079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I currently commute 50 kms a day on roads with gradual inclines on my motorcycle, I'm considering taking the greener route, the practical option would be to commute on the Ladybird but after a 60km ride not so long ago I felt half dead and it took me more than half a day to cover the distance.
For a 50km commute , a geared bicycle would be preferable keeping comfort in mind. I do an occasional 40km commute to my office in Bangalore and my Triban 100 suits me well .There are some Decathlon models around a 10K budget , but you'll get very basic gearing and a steel body. Try increasing your budget to buy a proper hybrid .

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:39. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 21st January 2019, 21:14   #4080
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
For a 50km commute , a geared bicycle would be preferable keeping comfort in mind. I do an occasional 40km commute to my office in Bangalore and my Triban 100 suits me well .There are some Decathlon models around a 10K budget , but you'll get very basic gearing and a steel body. Try increasing your budget to buy a proper hybrid .
I'm a noob when it comes to models and types, so by proper hybrid I'm presuming the Triban 100 is one, seems to be available at Decathlon which is about 250 km's from where I stay, the asking price is 20k.

If this is the cheapest cycle suiting the needs then I'm fine with arranging the difference.

Also thanks for the speedy reply.

Regards,
A.P.

Most Viewed