Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2019, 00:03   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Managed to source something identical from the nearby cycle store for Rs.1890/-
I don't get the rationale behind these oversized saddles to be honest.

A saddle is supposed to support your sit bones at its widest point.

Not squash your privates.

And have just the right amount of meat in front without impeding the reciprocating movement of your inner thighs.

Just because a person is big, it does not mean his pelvis is.

The extra width does nothing in my opinion, besides propping up the extra flesh, which does nothing for the anchoring support base needed for effective pedaling.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:21. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 9th March 2019, 01:01   #4157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I don't get the rationale behind these oversized saddles to be honest.
Guess its cause they feel good.

Circa 2017 the repercussion of a wager gone bad was that I had to get myself a BSA Ladybird to commute to work instead of a city bike.

Though not expected I got really comfortable with the Ladybird(For those who've not ridden one, it has one of the widest seats out there on indigenous cycles) and clocked my best daily mileage on it, which though is not much by what the veterans clock here, is still something for me.

Now when I had gone for the Schwinn the only gripe I had with the cycle was its seating(it was way too narrow to be comfortable for me), hence swapped at the first opportunity I came to know that wide seats were available for upmarket cycles as well.

Quote:
Not squash your privates.
Not sure that is the case with the seat I got, as its shorter than the stock seat and set at an angle, hence the gonads are not in contact when riding the cycle, I know for certain as that is what I was trying to avoid while setting up the seat.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 9th March 2019 at 01:03.
Old 10th March 2019, 10:06   #4158
BHPian

What is the general consensus regarding the safety of the sport especially in Indian conditions? Recently I have been hearing a couple of cases in Chennai where a rider was involved in a fatal accident and another one where a couple of thugs in a motorcycle tried to steal a solo rider's mobile phone and pushed him off his saddle causing severe injuries.

I know that statistically this could be a very small number compared to the number of ever growing people who want to take up this hobby. But considering our sad state of laws and negligence to cyclists, I was wondering whether is it really worth it or am I over-reacting?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:21. Reason: Spacing.
Old 10th March 2019, 10:44   #4159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
am I over-reacting?
Yes, you are.

On the contrary, Indian drivers are much more aware of cyclists, due to the large population that uses it as their daily drive, including 2, 4 and 6 wheelers.

But idiots are always there on the road (drivers and cyclists both) so incidents will always occur.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th March 2019 at 10:59.
Old 14th March 2019, 15:50   #4160

This should answer your question!

The Bicycles thread-accident-data.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:22. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 17th March 2019, 12:42   #4161
BHPian

Thanks for the thoughts. Let's hope it goes down even further.
Old 20th March 2019, 08:18   #4162
BHPian

Hello Cyclists,

Need your help. I am now thinking of getting started with cycling (am 35 now, 5 ft 8 in. & weigh 86 kgs) and quite not sure how to select the perfect cycle for me at a budget, can't go beyond 10k and I am also not averse to getting a good conditioned pre-owned cycle. Need inputs -

- Right method of choosing the right sized cycle for my height and weight, I know I can ride and check but I am not sure if I can select the perfect sized cycle just with a round of trial.

- Any suggested brand/models to look at, I don't want to Google it and get 100 choices which may leave me more confused.

- Any other thing I have missed

KK
Old 20th March 2019, 09:39   #4163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Need your help. I am now thinking of getting started with cycling (am 35 now, 5 ft 8 in. & weigh 86 kgs) and quite not sure how to select the perfect cycle for me at a budget, can't go beyond 10k and I am also not averse to getting a good conditioned pre-owned cycle.
You need a fairly light bike. Since your budget is limited, it would be better to pick one up on olx (although I'm not sure if your total cost can remain below 10k).

Choices-
  • Btwin Riverside model
  • Btwin Rockrider 520 (or 540)
  • Hercules ACT 110 (if available).
  • Montra Blues
  • Montra tTmba
  • Firefox Rapide
Let's say, you get the Hercules ACT 110 (some months back, 2-3 were available on olx), you pick it up for 4-5k. And go to a good bike mech (DM me if you need help here) and get it completely fixed. Might cost 3-5k. You'll have a good bike at 10k.

Alternative- Up your budget to 20-24k and pick up a new bike in the models mentioned above.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:24. Reason: Quote trimmed. LIST added. Post fixed.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:53   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
You need a fairly light bike. Since your budget is limited, it would be better to pick one up on olx (although I'm not sure if your total cost can remain below 10k).
Thanks bugatti.

Any pointers on height bike I have to look at. One of my friend has a 2 or 3 yr old Kross K10 (I have not seen the bike, he told me the model), which he is not using. Is it good enough?

I will also search on classifieds for used bikes.

KK

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:43   #4165
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Your height/age/weight all fall into 'average' category, so I doubt there is any special precaution you need to take. For most brands, you will want to look at L size cycles. If that friend's offer is open, try his cycle for a few days, and you will realize your needs from the cycle, whether you have a particular preference for height/riding position etc.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:22   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bugatti.

Any pointers on height bike I have to look at. One of my friend has a 2 or 3 yr old Kross K10 (I have not seen the bike, he told me the model), which he is not using. Is it good enough?

I will also search on classifieds for used bikes.

KK
You can try the Kross 10 for a few days (as ani_meher suggests) and see if it suits you.

Checking photos, this is a MTB like bike. It is a steel frame with front shocks, hence is likely to be heavy.

What you should be looking for, is a light bike. An aluminium frame only. Size, you should look for a L size bike (hybrid). Most bikes on olx are M.

You should also try the facebook group- cyclop. You'll probably find a better cycle for a decent price there. Just my two cents.
Old 20th March 2019, 16:20   #4167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ Your height/age/weight all fall into 'average' category, so I doubt there is any special precaution you need to take. For most brands, you will want to look at L size cycles. If that friend's offer is open, try his cycle for a few days, and you will realize your needs from the cycle, whether you have a particular preference for height/riding position etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
You can try the Kross 10 for a few days (as ani_meher suggests) and see if it suits you.

Checking photos, this is a MTB like bike. It is a steel frame with front shocks, hence is likely to be heavy.

What you should be looking for, is a light bike. An aluminium frame only. Size, you should look for a L size bike (hybrid). Most bikes on olx are M.

You should also try the facebook group- cyclop. You'll probably find a better cycle for a decent price there. Just my two cents.
As you both have mentioned I have asked my friend to lend the bike to me for few days to decide to buy or not, thanks for this suggestion.

He says its frame size is 18.5" and that's tad less than than the L size which is 19" as per the choosemybicycle website.

What would be the ideal weight of bike for road use, this K10 weighs around 18 kgs I guess. Also can MTB bike be used as road bike efficiently, or may be with tires replaced with road tires?

KK

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 20th March 2019, 18:17   #4168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you both have mentioned I have asked my friend to lend the bike to me for few days to decide to buy or not, thanks for this suggestion.

He says its frame size is 18.5" and that's tad less than than the L size which is 19" as per the choosemybicycle website.

What would be the ideal weight of bike for road use, this K10 weighs around 18 kgs I guess. Also can MTB bike be used as road bike efficiently, or may be with tires replaced with road tires?

KK
Buy a brand new Montra Downtown.

It's alloy and a much better bike all around.

Even the Decathlon Riverside bikes are good quality and speedy.Even though steel, they are very light (under 15 kilos).

A bit higher and a bit more moolah gets you the Firefox Rapide and the Montra Trance Pro and Helicon.

Cheers, Doc
Old 20th March 2019, 20:16   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Cyclists,

how to select the perfect cycle for me at a budget, can't go beyond 10k
Hi KK

Its quite normal for people ( Starting to cycle ) to think in same manner as you do.

I would suggest you to increase your budget to 15k and buy a brand new bike. Once you buy a new bike you will slowly develop interest to ride it. Do not go for second hand bikes ( unless you find a sparingly used well maintained one )

Cheap bikes are heavy and rough to use and also use inferior components all round, its better to buy a bike with aluminum frame as minimum since they are lighter and easier to pedal and lift.Cheap bikes may get you dis-interested, and you may eventually give it up.

Try to join a local cycling club, as it will make cycling fun and before you realize you will take a liking to cycling as a sport.
If you are still in doubt, rent a good quality bike from bike rental shop for long duration ( Usually they allow to change bikes during rental period ) and then take a decision.

Last edited by silverado : 20th March 2019 at 20:26.
Old 21st March 2019, 18:55   #4170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Its quite normal for people ( Starting to cycle ) to think in same manner as you do.
100 % agree with every word.

Borrow the Kross bike, ride it and then rent a good quality bike. You'll see the difference. I was of the same mindset as you when I bought my hybrid (3rd hand, mind you, because I didn't even want to spend 10k) but a good bike is very nice and enjoyable. And you won't mind spending a bit more for that experience.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks