Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th June 2019, 12:12   #4216
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

If sales and service are important, head directly to any Track & Trail outlet. They're good in Bangalore. Choose between Cannondale and Schwinn. Sometimes they have clearance prices on a few models, that's the time to strike. I'd recommend Decathlon highly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
I'm open to any brand except btwin/rockrider and firefox.
Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:45   #4217
BHPian

Quote:
I currently have a 2013 Firefox Target D 21S.........

Firefox: After sales in Bangalore is really bad.Sometimes the mechanic is on leave,no spare parts available whenever you call them up.This wasn't the case when I used to live in Gurgaon where the service was really good.

Budget:30-50k.
Any suggestions?
I would still recommend you stick with Decathlon, they have some pretty decent bikes and service would never be an issue and they offer lifetime warranty on their frames. Look at the ST100, great bike. They have a new range of bikes the RC500 and RC520 - these are like go anywhere bikes, the RC500 maybe just above your 50K budget. Else Decathlon have quite a few options in MTBs

Cycling Boutique, Bums on The Saddle, Jayant Cycles, RR cycles are the other well known places for branded MTBs - Trek, Cannondale, Montra, Giant etc.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 16:21   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget:30-50k.
Any suggestions?
Cannondale Trail

Trek 3500 / 4300

Marin Bolinas Ridge (27.5) or San Rafael / San Anselmo (700c)

Orbea MX (not sure if they fit in your budget though)

Specialized Pitch (27.5) or Cross Trail (700c)

GT Karakoram or Zaskar (depending on what wheel size you prefer)

Merida Big Nine or Seven (wheel size preference) / Scott Aspect / Bergamont Vitox / Fuji Nevada / Giant Roam or Talon (wheel size preference)

Cheers, Doc

P.S. These are all in order of my preference were I to be in the market for an MTB/Dual Sport.
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 05:51   #4219
BHPian

Time to trade in your old bikes. Get 20% off on a new Firefox.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_90601.jpg  

Old 19th June 2019, 11:34   #4220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Presenting to you *drum roll* - Isabel (Triban 500).
Not much to post, except that got into the clipless bandwagon which makes for a sight whenever I walk with those shoes.

New place to hang cycle (out of way of others in the home):
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20190619-11.18.32-am-1.jpeg

Went to meet some friends and surprised them by coming on cycle:
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20190619-11.18.32-am.jpeg

Another friend snapped me in my attire:
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20190619-11.18.34-am.jpeg

One of the Palm beach early morning rides:
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20190619-11.18.33-am.jpeg
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 14:38   #4221
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
New place to hang cycle (out of way of others in the home):
Hi blackwasp, that hanger looks minimalist and cool. Is it custom-made or did you order it online? I am looking for a similar one as well.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 12:28   #4222
BHPian

Planning on upgrading to a road bike. My present ride is a Scott Sub Cross 40. Budget <60k. Preferably Carbon fork and Sora groupset(or better! I know very ambitious).
Any suggestions please?
Cheers.
Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 14:00   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Planning on upgrading to a road bike. My present ride is a Scott Sub Cross 40. Budget <60k. Preferably Carbon fork and Sora groupset(or better! I know very ambitious).
Any suggestions please?
Cheers.
Try triban rc500 with Sora or a little higher it's the rc520 with 105 for INR 75000.
Old 24th June 2019, 16:59   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions please?
Cheers.
Welcome to the fascinating world of roadies
Spend just a little over your current budget and go for 105. What a smooth groupset. Trust me you will love it.

Check out BTwin Ultra 700AF. I have done 800km on it and it's F A S T . "It's a cracker out of the box" as mentioned in one of the reviews.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 17:58   #4225

I have been following this thread for long now. Lots of information for a newbie like me. Been born and brought up in hills so never got the opportunity to learn how to ride a bicycle. I know it sounds silly but that is how it was for me.

After coming to Delhi, have been working from home for almost a decade now. It nice to have some spare time by myself but it also meant all day sitting around with no physical exercise. I gained almost 15 Kg but still was too lazy to work out.

Four years back we move to Noida and got introduced to a running group. I have not heard of such groups before and just like that, picked up running. Initially I only wanted to lose some weight but then I started enjoying my runs. Mostly with group which included weekend long runs at Jahanpanah forest, Okhla Bird Sanctuary and Sanjay van. Soon enough, other runners started recommending some cross training like bicycling but problem was I didn't know how to ride one. I wanted to learn but was also scared of injuries due to fall.

Running in summers in NCR is gets difficult and monotonous too. Took the plunge and got myself Montra Trance D 2018. Was not sure if I would enjoy or how often I will go cycling so didn't go for a very expensive one though I had my eyes set on Merida which was much lighter. Learning was not that hard but I did have a very bad fall. Thankfully, nothing major.

Attaching the picture from India Gate ride last weekend! Was fun but my back side is getting very sore. Is it always going to be like this or will get better with time? I am using padded shorts but I don't see them helping much over long runs. Any tips are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-montratranced.jpeg  

summerisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 19:29   #4226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerisland View Post

Four years back we move to Noida and got introduced to a running group. I have not heard of such groups before and just like that, picked up running. Initially I only wanted to lose some weight but then I started enjoying my runs. Mostly with group which included weekend long runs at Jahanpanah forest, Okhla Bird Sanctuary and Sanjay van. Soon enough, other runners started recommending some cross training like bicycling but problem was I didn't know how to ride one. I wanted to learn but was also scared of injuries due to fall.
Running is also my first love, cycling is 2nd. Now that you have taken up cycling as cross-training for your primary sport of running , you can take up stretching and strength training to survive the abnormal strain cycling puts on the lower back

Here are a few:
- Naukasan (superman) wherein you sleep on your belly with chest, arms, thighs and legs all stretched out and up - is one very good one.
- Taadasan (standing stretch where you lift yourself from your waist keep feet flat on the ground)
- Single leg bridge
- Planks
- Swimming
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 20:49   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerisland View Post
I

Attaching the picture from India Gate ride last weekend! Was fun but my back side is getting very sore. Is it always going to be like this or will get better with time? I am using padded shorts but I don't see them helping much over long runs. Any tips are welcome!
Try a bike fit, in the meantime try these..
1. Check saddle height
2. Check saddle set back
3. Furnish your height and bike size details for better advise
4. I think I posted something on the same lines for bike fit in this thread, have a looksee at it
5 build core strength
6 for more pointers please reach out.
Old 25th June 2019, 05:56   #4228
BHPian

Was at BOTS (Bums On The Saddle) to pick up a 20 inch Kenda tube and spotted this Specialized Diverge (Rs.1.5 Lakhs) ready for delivery. It's a road version of your modern trail bike. Suspension travel is in the head tube, so you can cruise the well-beaten road and explore one that's less travelled as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_9516.jpg  

Old 25th June 2019, 06:39   #4229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Try triban rc500 with Sora or a little higher it's the rc520 with 105 for INR 75000.
Thinking on the same lines. Was in Delhi yesterday and checked out both at Decathlon Pacific mall. Personally I felt that both these are very tempting with the specifications and the corresponding cost against each. Will most probably finalise one if I succeed in warding off the pressure of going for a Bergamont or Scott (as my first seller keeps egging me on for either of these since he's the dealer in my near vicinity!).
Thanks.
Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 06:43   #4230
BHPian

Bergamont is having few complaints as per a source at BOTS. Of the two, I'd choose Scott.
Quote:
Bergamont or Scott?