Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 16:59   #4216
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,852
Thanked: 2,423 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Planning on upgrading to a road bike. My present ride is a Scott Sub Cross 40. Budget <60k. Preferably Carbon fork and Sora groupset(or better! I know very ambitious).
Any suggestions please?
Cheers.
Welcome to the fascinating world of roadies
Spend just a little over your current budget and go for 105. What a smooth groupset. Trust me you will love it.

Check out BTwin Ultra 700AF. I have done 800km on it and it's F A S T . "It's a cracker out of the box" as mentioned in one of the reviews.
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 24th June 2019, 17:58   #4217
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Noida
Posts: 5
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I have been following this thread for long now. Lots of information for a newbie like me. Been born and brought up in hills so never got the opportunity to learn how to ride a bicycle. I know it sounds silly but that is how it was for me.

After coming to Delhi, have been working from home for almost a decade now. It nice to have some spare time by myself but it also meant all day sitting around with no physical exercise. I gained almost 15 Kg but still was too lazy to work out.

Four years back we move to Noida and got introduced to a running group. I have not heard of such groups before and just like that, picked up running. Initially I only wanted to lose some weight but then I started enjoying my runs. Mostly with group which included weekend long runs at Jahanpanah forest, Okhla Bird Sanctuary and Sanjay van. Soon enough, other runners started recommending some cross training like bicycling but problem was I didn't know how to ride one. I wanted to learn but was also scared of injuries due to fall.

Running in summers in NCR is gets difficult and monotonous too. Took the plunge and got myself Montra Trance D 2018. Was not sure if I would enjoy or how often I will go cycling so didn't go for a very expensive one though I had my eyes set on Merida which was much lighter. Learning was not that hard but I did have a very bad fall. Thankfully, nothing major.

Attaching the picture from India Gate ride last weekend! Was fun but my back side is getting very sore. Is it always going to be like this or will get better with time? I am using padded shorts but I don't see them helping much over long runs. Any tips are welcome!
The Bicycles thread-montratranced.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:49. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
summerisland is offline  
Old 24th June 2019, 19:29   #4218
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,852
Thanked: 2,423 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerisland View Post

Four years back we move to Noida and got introduced to a running group. I have not heard of such groups before and just like that, picked up running. Initially I only wanted to lose some weight but then I started enjoying my runs. Mostly with group which included weekend long runs at Jahanpanah forest, Okhla Bird Sanctuary and Sanjay van. Soon enough, other runners started recommending some cross training like bicycling but problem was I didn't know how to ride one. I wanted to learn but was also scared of injuries due to fall.
Running is also my first love, cycling is 2nd. Now that you have taken up cycling as cross-training for your primary sport of running , you can take up stretching and strength training to survive the abnormal strain cycling puts on the lower back

Here are a few:
- Naukasan (superman) wherein you sleep on your belly with chest, arms, thighs and legs all stretched out and up - is one very good one.
- Taadasan (standing stretch where you lift yourself from your waist keep feet flat on the ground)
- Single leg bridge
- Planks
- Swimming
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 24th June 2019, 20:49   #4219
BHPian
 
sanjbmw2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerisland View Post
Attaching the picture from India Gate ride last weekend! Was fun but my back side is getting very sore. Is it always going to be like this or will get better with time? I am using padded shorts but I don't see them helping much over long runs. Any tips are welcome!
Try a bike fit, in the meantime try these..
  1. Check saddle height
  2. Check saddle set back
  3. Furnish your height and bike size details for better advise
  4. I think I posted something on the same lines for bike fit in this thread, have a looksee at it
  5. Build core strength
  6. For more pointers please reach out

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:51. Reason: Quote trimmed. LIST added. Post fixed.
sanjbmw2001 is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 05:56   #4220
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 4,226 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Was at BOTS (Bums On The Saddle) to pick up a 20 inch Kenda tube and spotted this Specialized Diverge (Rs.1.5 Lakhs) ready for delivery. It's a road version of your modern trail bike. Suspension travel is in the head tube, so you can cruise the well-beaten road and explore one that's less traveled as well.

The Bicycles thread-img_9516.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:53. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Sebring is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 06:39   #4221
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vizag/All Over
Posts: 71
Thanked: 721 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Try triban rc500 with Sora or a little higher it's the rc520 with 105 for INR 75000.
Thinking on the same lines. Was in Delhi yesterday and checked out both at Decathlon Pacific mall. Personally I felt that both these are very tempting with the specifications and the corresponding cost against each. Will most probably finalise one if I succeed in warding off the pressure of going for a Bergamont or Scott (as my first seller keeps egging me on for either of these since he's the dealer in my near vicinity!).
Thanks.
Hunter3077 is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 06:43   #4222
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 4,226 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Bergamont is having few complaints as per a source at BOTS. Of the two, I'd choose Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Bergamont or Scott?
Sebring is offline  
Old 26th June 2019, 19:41   #4223
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vizag/All Over
Posts: 71
Thanked: 721 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Taking all the inputs into consideration, my search is prodding along at a slow pace. Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate. Mine is a Renault Lodgy.
Secondly, I have sent a request for joining the Team Bhp Strava Club. I was out of Strava for a while and am making a comeback. Request the admin to do the needful.
Thanks and Cheers.
Hunter3077 is offline  
Old 26th June 2019, 21:32   #4224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,001
Thanked: 7,072 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Taking all the inputs into consideration, my search is prodding along at a slow pace. Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate. Mine is a Renault Lodgy.
When it comes to bike carriers, Thule is the best. The carriers are designed in such a way that fitting and removing the bike is a breeze. They are a little expensive, but totally worth the cost. For Lodgy, you can check out the following models.

Thule Freeway 968

Thule Clipon 9104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Secondly, I have sent a request for joining the Team Bhp Strava Club. I was out of Strava for a while and am making a comeback. Request the admin to do the needful.
Done. Welcome to the club. Looking forward to seeing your rides
graaja is offline  
Old 27th June 2019, 10:04   #4225
BHPian
 
sanjbmw2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Taking all the inputs into consideration, my search is prodding along at a slow pace. Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate. Mine is a Renault Lodgy.
There are many options on the market, Thule has been mentioned, other to consider is Saris Bone.
While these two options are in the premium section, I would seriously consider the Decathlon product, comes a three bike capacity, slightly fiddly to mount and unmount but offers great VFM.
sanjbmw2001 is offline  
Old 28th June 2019, 18:30   #4226
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,014
Thanked: 1,742 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Was at BOTS (Bums On The Saddle) to pick up a 20 inch Kenda tube and spotted this Specialized Diverge (Rs.1.5 Lakhs) ready for delivery. It's a road version of your modern trail bike. Suspension travel is in the head tube, so you can cruise the well-beaten road and explore one that's less travelled as well.
That's the bike I have.
There was a recall issued by Specialized for that steering tube collar. Make sure that has been taken care of before putting any money down on the bike!
amitoj is offline  
Old 28th June 2019, 18:40   #4227
BHPian
 
SCORPION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 1,839 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate.
You can try the Saris tail mounted single bike carrier. I have been using it for a few years now.

Here is a link to my review of the same:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3120780 (Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers)
SCORPION is offline  
Old 28th June 2019, 23:26   #4228
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 988
Thanked: 478 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
...
Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate.
Mine is a Renault Lodgy.
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
You can try the Saris tail mounted single bike carrier.
I have been using it for a few years now.
...
Yes, the Saris 1-bike carrier is a nice, cheap, carrier.
I have the very same one (I think there's a picture of my road-bike on the Saris carrier in my Team-BHP Garage).

However, there are a couple of issues you might have to thing about:

A) The Saris 1-bike carrier is built for bikes with horizontal top tubes (or mostly horizontal), if you have an MTB with an angled top tube, it might get awkward mounting it on the Saris 1-bike. I have a Scott Spark MTB & I was not able to use the Saris 1-bike for it, I had to get a separate accessory called a "bike beam" (also available from Saris) for it to work. That said, I wasn't comfortable using the bike beam because it transfers the load on to the steerer head, I felt safer by simply moving the bike within my car after removing both wheels.

B) If your car had a trunk (like in a sedan) or an angled hatch (like in a small hatch), it's easier & safer to use the Saris 1-bike because you can "perch" the carrier on to something firm. On a Renault Lodgy, with its large, vertical rear hatch, the carrier would mostly be situated using the straps (which are vertical, there are none for horizontal stability). When cornering, with a heavy bike, the carrier will tend to sway sidewards. You could try to attempt to stabilize the carrier by situating it on the rear bumper though, but it's best to get a carrier that's suited to the vehicle you have.
im_srini is offline  
Old 1st July 2019, 22:03   #4229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 234 Times
Default

I had purchased a Btwin Riverside 900 hybrid bicycle about 3 months back. I have given the bike to Decathlon as the brakes (hydraulic) are low on pressure (complaint of poor brakes since I bought). I understand from them they will be replacing the brakes with Tektro, once they receive the package from France on recall basis. I have been using this bike for upto 70kms ride. I also have an option to change bike of my choosing due to my dissatisfaction on component quality of various items like brakes, crank, high speed stability, etc. I am thinking of moving to Triban RC 520 considering it to be a Gravel bicycle. The roads I ride on are village roads with poor road quality and potholes. Will the move to RC520 be good or should I stick to the existing hybrid?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:55. Reason: Spacing.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline  
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:31   #4230
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,074
Thanked: 3,750 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I had purchased a Btwin Riverside 900 hybrid bicycle about 3 months back. I have given the bike to Decathlon as the brakes (hydraulic) are low on pressure (complaint of poor brakes since I bought). I understand from them they will be replacing the brakes with Tektro, once they receive the package from France on recall basis. I have been using this bike for upto 70kms ride. I also have an option to change bike of my choosing due to my dissatisfaction on component quality of various items like brakes, crank, high speed stability, etc. I am thinking of moving to Triban RC 520 considering it to be a Gravel bicycle. The roads I ride on are village roads with poor road quality and potholes. Will the move to RC520 be good or should I stick to the existing hybrid?
The RC520 with 105 7000 and hydro mechay discs with touring geometry and clearance for tyres up to as fat as 35c like a hybrid is a great buy at 75k.

The RC500 is the same, looks better in my opinion, and comes with Sora and mechanical discs for 55k. Not as good bang for buck.

The RC120 is sweet. 8 speeder, MicroShift admittedly, normal caliper brakes, for a staggering 35k. That bike is amazing value.

Tribans of this latest generation have definitely upped the game in terms of geometry, build quality, features versus price, compared to the pretty insipid offerings if the past couple of years.

Bike Radar has glowing reviews for the first two.

All are a planet apart from your hybrid. Any hybrid.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:55. Reason: Quoted post edited.
ebonho is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks