Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 17:03   #4261
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Davangere
Posts: 22
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Can anyone help me with this. Looking to buy it tomorrow, so any inputs will be appreciated.
Hi rdst_1, I'm using this at home, is simple, robust and easy to use. I'm able to mount and remove my Triban 100 fairly easily everyday. Feels like riding in the road if you fiddle a bit with the air pressure of your rear tyre (if the air pressure is high it tends to
slip against the flywheel and give a jittery effect). However, there is no real time feedback whatsoever regarding cadence and power... I feel it is good only with a cadence and power meter attached to your bike. If you are good at judging perceived effort, it's a good buy by itself. Hope this helps!
mr.kaybee is offline  
Old 10th July 2019, 21:07   #4262
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vizag/All Over
Posts: 67
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Hello everyone.

Been a hectic couple of days scouting for a road bike for myself and the office load taking a toll. What has increased my headache is the number of options in terms of bikes that keep increasing with each passing day. And the easiest way to bounce the ideas or options obviously is this forum. So here goes.

1. New Scott Speedster 10 with Shimano 105 groupset and mix components (2018) ~ 73,000. It is a steal price, undoubtedly.
2. Trek Damone AL 4 with Tiagra groupset at 80,000(best price apparently).
3. Felt VR50/FR50 with Sora groupset and disc brakes ~ 55,000 (Yes, Sora!)
4. Fuji Sportif 2.1 ~ 58,000 (Again Sora!)
And a pre-owned Ridley Fenix A10 105 mix (2017) at 50,000. This one has been ridden for approx 2500 km and in a good condition and the seller seemed to be a genuine guy to me.

So that's where I find myself in, after some eventful days of searching for my first road bike. Appreciate if veteran cyclists can pitch in with their suggestions.

Yes, the spectrum of bikes, the specifications and the price range is quite wide, but that is how it has panned out.
Thanks and cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:12. Reason: Spacing, typos. "ridden"
Hunter3077 is offline  
Old 10th July 2019, 21:16   #4263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,959
Thanked: 6,486 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
1. New Scott Speedster 10 with Shimano 105 groupset and mix components (2018) ~ 73,000. It is a steal price, undoubtedly.
2. Trek Damone AL 4 with Tiagra groupset at 80,000(best price apparently).
3. Felt VR50/FR50 with Sora groupset and disc brakes ~ 55,000 (Yes, Sora!)
4. Fuji Sportif 2.1 ~ 58,000 (Again Sora!)
And a Pre owned Ridley Fenix A10 105 mix (2017) at 50,000. This one has been Riden for approx 2500 km and in a good condition and the seller seemed to be a genuine guy to me.
Scott Speedster would be my pick. Scott Speedster 20 was my first roadbike (from Trek 4300D). I rode this bike for about 7000 kilometers and did a few brevets and Triathlons. Was a fantastic bike and never gave me any trouble. I would greatly recommend.
graaja is online now  
Old 10th July 2019, 22:02   #4264
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

The Scott Speedster is my choice too. In the UK this bike costs north of Rs. 1,20,000, so yes the price is exquisite. Fork is carbon fibre I suppose. So go for it. Do post some pics for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Scott Speedster 10
Sebring is online now  
Old 11th July 2019, 22:20   #4265
BHPian
 
bugatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
So that's where I find myself in, after some eventful days of searching for my first road bike. Appreciate if veteran cyclists can pitch in with their suggestions.
Yes, the spectrum of bikes, the specifications and the price range is quite wide, but that is how it has panned out.
Get a quote from the same dealer for the Scott Speedster SE (ultegra) 2018. It was 94k. If you can get it for 80k, that's a really good bike.

Trek Domane AL 4 2019 has a really good endurance geometry body. Try with some dealers if they have this on discount. Even the 2018 model might work.

The Felt is good, has a good frame and all. Go for this if you want discs (these are mechanical).

Fuji Sportif- nice bike but 11-32 cassette. If you change that, all else good.

Fenix A10 - really good bike. This Ridley is a good bike. Just make sure you are sure of the 1) physical condition and the 2) usage (chain, RD, cassette etc) and price accordingly, 3) correct frame size for your height.

I would stick with the Felt. Just try to bargain it to 48-50k.

I have a road bike with Sora which, new, is available for 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I have an offer for Triban 520 (not the disk brakes) for 37k.
If the frame size is correct, BUY it. 37k is a good deal. Braking is easily resolved by changing the brake pads to Alligators/Ashima/Koolstop..

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Quote trimmed. Posts merged.
bugatti is offline  
Old 11th July 2019, 23:54   #4266
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,943
Thanked: 3,215 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Fuji Sportif- nice bike but 11-32 cassette. If you change that, all else good.
Why is 11-32 an issue? Most roadies with endurance frames and compact cranksets actually come with that so am interested.

My CAAD came with 50-34 and a 12-25 Sunrace cassette which now has been replaced with a 11-32 SRAM PG-830.

11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32.

The Bicycles thread-img_20190630_121552.jpg

I'm not yet sure I need the 32 (not till I do Bhor and Lavasa at least) or if a 11 (or 12)-28 wouldn't be better.

Also, unless I'm descending a ghat, I've never found myself in 11 or even 12. So was wondering if I could change the last two cogs to 12 and 13 instead of the current 11 and 12 ... IF I can find individual SRAM Hyper Glide cogs to match.

Still coming to grips with the roadie gearing after my triple crank hybrid with a 11-34 freewheel.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th July 2019 at 00:16.
ebonho is offline  
Old 12th July 2019, 08:05   #4267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bir-Billing, HP
Posts: 363
Thanked: 598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kaybee View Post
Hi rdst_1, I'm using this at home, is simple, robust and easy to use. If you are good at judging perceived effort, it's a good buy by itself. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the feedback mate. I bought it yesterday. The guys were first not letting mw buy it because internet was throwing wrong info about my rims. But I was able to convince him finally that mine was 28 inches as the tyres were 700x32c. I also ended up buying the trainer tyre. For now, I am content with the data from my cyclocomputer as I am not that hardcore of a cyclist and needed this to utilize my cycle for exercising which was lying neglected ever since I moved from Chandigarh to the hills.
rdst_1 is offline  
Old 12th July 2019, 10:14   #4268
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I had a Sigma long back. Would be nice if forum members put up pics of bike accessories. Which is the best (in terms of value) cyclo-computer that I can buy in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
cyclocomputer

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Spacing.
Sebring is online now  
Old 12th July 2019, 14:58   #4269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,959
Thanked: 6,486 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I had a Sigma long back. Would be nice if forum members put up pics of bike accessories. Which is the best (in terms of value) cyclo-computer that I can buy in USA?
Do you have a budget in mind? Also what features are you looking for? GPS tracking to upload to Strava or just speed, cadence and distance?

I would suggest to get either Garmin or Wahoo bike computers with GPS.
graaja is online now  
Old 12th July 2019, 20:53   #4270
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Just speed, cadence, distance and a big display with huge fonts. I have seen this WestBiking display, its great! Cateye caught my eye as well. Garmin is very expensive. I'll check out Wahoo, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
GPS tracking to upload to Strava or just speed, cadence and distance? I would suggest to get either Garmin or Wahoo bike computers with GPS.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Spacing.
Sebring is online now  
Old 12th July 2019, 21:14   #4271
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,959
Thanked: 6,486 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just speed, cadence, distance and a big display with huge fonts. I have seen this WestBiking display, its great! Cateye caught my eye as well. Garmin is very expensive. I'll check out Wahoo, thank you.
If you do not want GPS tracking and uploading to third party sites like Strava, then Cateye has very good models. The Cateye strada computer that I bought almost 10 years back is still functional.

If you plan to start tracking your activities with Strava, then spend a little more and go for a GPS computer. IGPSport computers have good reviews in Amazon. Check these as well. These are quite inexpensive compared to Garmin or Wahoo models, but get all the basic work done.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Func...-2-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FB26M3S...4-193e09023ad2
graaja is online now  
Old 12th July 2019, 21:20   #4272
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Wow, youre a wealth of info. I am restricting my budget to under $25 as people just snatch these cyclo-computers and walk away these days. Cateye is in this range, and I have liked the round face. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Cateye has very good models

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:15. Reason: Spacing.
Sebring is online now  
Old 12th July 2019, 22:12   #4273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bir-Billing, HP
Posts: 363
Thanked: 598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Wow, youre a wealth of info. I am restricting my budget to under $25 as people just snatch these cyclo-computers and walk away these days. Cateye is in this range, and I have liked the round face. Thank you.
Most of these would come with a mount from which you can detach the device and take it with you. I have a basic one and that feature is even there. So unless you are talking about people snatching it while you are still riding, this issue shouldn't bother you as much you think it would.
rdst_1 is offline  
Old 13th July 2019, 05:15   #4274
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

How do you think I lost the Sigma. It was held on its mount by a rubber O ring, which is adequate safety outside the country. On Mysore road I took a pee break, and it was gone from the stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
this issue shouldn't bother you as much you think it would.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:15. Reason: Spacing.
Sebring is online now  
Old 13th July 2019, 06:19   #4275
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vizag/All Over
Posts: 67
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Get a quote from the same dealer for the Scott Speedster SE (ultegra) 2018. It was 94k. If you can get it for 80k, that's a really good bike.
Tried, it was a dead end. Finally gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti
Trek Domane AL 4 2019 has a really good endurance geometry body. Try with some dealers if they have this on discount. Even the 2018 model might work.
The best I was getting this was at 77,000. All dealers parrot the same line that there are no discounts on Trek. Overpriced, if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti
The Felt is good, has a good frame and all. Go for this if you want discs (these are mechanical).

Fuji Sportif- nice bike but 11-32 cassette. If you change that, all else good.

Fenix A10 - really good bike. This Ridley is a good bike. Just make sure you are sure of the 1) physical condition and the 2) usage (chain, RD, cassette etc) and price accordingly, 3) correct frame size for your height.
Discussed with my local dealer and the seller. There is a minimum requirement of spending 10k on the bike after the purchase. Which makes it a 60k buy. Halted the process to ponder over it.

I would stick with the Felt. Just try to bargain it to 48-50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugati
I have a road bike with Sora which, new, is available for 40k.
You mean for sale?

Cannondale CAAD Optimo 105 came into the picture these last couple of days. Again getting a fair deal wherein the bike that retails for over 90k is available for about 75k. There were questions in my mind about the inclination of the bike towards a racier geometry but figures suggested that synapse and CAAD optimo were sounding similar in the Stack/Reach ratio for my size.
Have made up my mind (99% probably) to go for the bike. It comes with a 105 groupset

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:17. Reason: NO replies within quotes please. Thanks!
Hunter3077 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks