Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 11:50   #421
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
The cycling bug is starting to bite, and would love to own a bike pretty soon.
The intended purpose would be to anf fro from the gym, and perhaps some weekend riding.

Considering all this I don't want to spend too much as well (other expenses beckon :(), have seen the firefox viper and like it but its out of my reach.
Came across Hercules cycles website and they do seem to have some decent bikes.
Like the ACT109, 110 and 107. Has anyone used any of these bikes? What is your opinion?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers
Old 11th February 2010, 14:14   #422
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hey,
The cycling bug is starting to bite, and would love to own a bike pretty soon.
The intended purpose would be to anf fro from the gym, and perhaps some weekend riding.

Considering all this I don't want to spend too much as well (other expenses beckon :(), have seen the firefox viper and like it but its out of my reach.
Came across Hercules cycles website and they do seem to have some decent bikes.
Like the ACT109, 110 and 107. Has anyone used any of these bikes? What is your opinion?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers
I got bitten again a month ago after my bike got lost. No fancy imported / costly bike for me though. Ended up buying BSA Mach straight handle which comes with 6 gears. Was intially scared if the thin tyres would handle my weight. Frame of this new version bike looks more like MTB and sturdier. The mud guards are also uniquely designed. All for 3800 INR. Am loving it

Vijay
Old 11th February 2010, 14:54   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
I got bitten again a month ago after my bike got lost. No fancy imported / costly bike for me though. Ended up buying BSA Mach straight handle which comes with 6 gears. Was intially scared if the thin tyres would handle my weight. Frame of this new version bike looks more like MTB and sturdier. The mud guards are also uniquely designed. All for 3800 INR. Am loving it

Vijay
Excellent! I don't want to spend anything more than 10-12K and the Hercules bikes are priced in this range.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:11   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post

Vijay
I too ordered the same bike yesterday. Come to think of it, the main reason of me ordering this bike was that it was the only one coming with street tyres, all other bikes had those knobby off road tyres.

I used to own full Al japanese bike in my schoold years till HSC. Those days it was a dream bike. It was manufactured at Yokohama, it had 5 gears (Stick shift installed on the frame between the seat and handles), had liner brakes at the rear (can you believe that!!). The sad part is when I was out for my studies in college my Dad gave it off to one of his poor office peon as it was lying totally idle. Yeah we had a good fight when I came to know.

4 Months back bought Hero DTB F-1 series for travelling to Gym and back. No good. Didn't suit my body, was put off by the broad knobby tyres which really are not required in street use. Don't give good dynamic stability. The manufacturers are just cashing on the visual appeal of those tyres. Since the shop didn't had the bike I wanted they tried fully to put me off saying Mach is not reliable and thin tyres would be very problematic etc. but I stuck to my decision.

So am waiting for the Mach 6 Speed now. Paid Rs.3400/-, delivery promised in a week.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:55   #425
BHPian

So good to see so many bhpians cycling as a means of commute and exercise! I got bitten by the cycling bug after watching New World Disorder 9. I started off by borrowing a friend's racer. Then I went ahead and bought a Firefox Dart 2.6. I though it would be a good buy but boy was I wrong! Patheic quality of these Firefoxes! After a few months I bought a Btwin Rockrider 5.2. Brilliant bike! Absolutely good VFM. Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-18062009048.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-18062009036.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-18062009047.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-18062009042.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-18062009044.jpg  

Old 13th February 2010, 22:18   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
So good to see so many bhpians cycling as a means of commute and exercise! I got bitten by the cycling bug after watching New World Disorder 9. I started off by borrowing a friend's racer. Then I went ahead and bought a Firefox Dart 2.6. I though it would be a good buy but boy was I wrong! Patheic quality of these Firefoxes! After a few months I bought a Btwin Rockrider 5.2. Brilliant bike! Absolutely good VFM. Here are a few pics:
Beautiful bike that! Congrats! How much did it cost? And hows your experience been on it so far?
One more thing, do the disc brakes on bi-cycles matter? I am fascinated by them and was wondering how necessary they are?

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 13th February 2010 at 22:28.
Old 14th February 2010, 12:02   #427
BHPian

Disc brakes matter on mountain bikes as they can function properly even if the rim is full of muck or extremely wet. They dont have any benefit on the road though.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:24   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Disc brakes matter on mountain bikes as they can function properly even if the rim is full of muck or extremely wet. They dont have any benefit on the road though.
Ah thanks! The only dirt my bike will see is of rubble due to construction work in my building . So chalk another option off.

Thanks
Old 15th February 2010, 10:14   #429
BHPian

"Pune Folks"

not sure if this information is covered, nevertheless, we have a very strong group of cycle enthusiasts who set out every 1st and 3rd weekend of the month for one short (15-20km) and 1 long (40-60km) expedition with a group of 30-100 cyclists along with a mechanic, backup truck, doctor and even a pilot car, the cyclists range from Doctors to teenage students, IT professionals like me and sometimes even grandfathers and grandmothers. the long exepedition usually sets out early morning and moves to some scenic farmhouse on the scenic hilly outskirts of Pune for a hearty breakfast followed by the return thereafter, usually one is home by midday

those in and around Pune, must join
Old 15th February 2010, 16:05   #430
BHPian

Thumb shifter gear set

Dear Friends;

Almost all the cycles availaible in India are with Revo gears. Somehow I am not comfortable with them. I have planned to buy a single speed cycle (BSA Mach-1 19") and then install thumb shifter gear set on it.

Need help from the experts here regarding this. Would like to know from where, which brand and for how much would I get decent thumb shifters in India. Also need some help on procedure of installation.

Regards;
-Rohit
Old 16th February 2010, 11:06   #431
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There - my new TOY

La sovereign - spectrum
21 gears , disc breaks , hard tail
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_2165.jpg  

Old 16th February 2010, 11:57   #432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Dear Friends;

Almost all the cycles availaible in India are with Revo gears. Somehow I am not comfortable with them. I have planned to buy a single speed cycle (BSA Mach-1 19") and then install thumb shifter gear set on it.

Need help from the experts here regarding this. Would like to know from where, which brand and for how much would I get decent thumb shifters in India. Also need some help on procedure of installation.

Regards;
-Rohit
Rohit,

I bought the newer version of Mach-1 which comes with straight handle and 6 gears from machimo. I remember seeing this in many other brands I evaluated before zeroing on BSA Mach-1.

cheers,
Vijay
Old 16th February 2010, 14:43   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLET View Post
La sovereign - spectrum
21 gears , disc breaks , hard tail
Its a beaut! More details and price please.

I quite like the Hercules Ryders ACT110 and so far whatever reviews I could read have all been good.

It also fits in my budget of around 15K MAX, any other cycles that I should consider folks?
Old 17th February 2010, 09:50   #434
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I quite like the Hercules Ryders ACT110 and so far whatever reviews I could read have all been good.

It also fits in my budget of around 15K MAX, any other cycles that I should consider folks?
i bought it for around 14k , with upgraded tyres and seat
it comes with front and rear discs and 21gears as standard fitting

you could also look at aDIDAS hard tail which is around 16k here in bangalore

this cycle takes me 10 min for 2 km in the mornings and 15-20min for 3km to work in traffic

but its fun to ride , great form of exercise
Old 17th February 2010, 10:18   #435
Senior - BHPian

Well, I own an old model, ACT104;18 gears;front & rear suspension; small carrier - got all my requirements that I was looking in a bicycle. I enjoy cycling though I'm not a hardcore cycle fan. I like to use them in the mornings & go around places. Since I live in the suburbs, it gives me a pleasure riding along the countryside.

One thing I hate about this cycle for that matter all the ACT models is the absence of full size mudguard. Sometimes it throws all the mud on your back.

The shimano gears were little problemistic on the very first day, but the service engineer from TI cycles came down to my house to fix the issue & didn't charge anything. Basically he tightened the gear cables.

Here's how it looks - https://www.ticyclesindia.com/produc...es.asp?pid=26#

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks