Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2019, 18:25   #4381
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Outside of decathlon, this was a very well respected bicycle back in 2010-11 when I was an active cyclist. Except for price / performance vs decathlon, I would buy this in a heartbeat if I was in the market again.
Thanks a lot for your feedback bud ! Its costing the same as the RC 520, will go and check it out tomorrow.
Old 13th October 2019, 18:46   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
back in 2010-11 when I was an active cyclist.
Have you stopped cycling now? I vaguely remember your posts on bikeszone (H******u, right? )
Old 13th October 2019, 18:48   #4383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Has anyone here owned or owns a Bianchi ? Planning to pick a good endurance bike with a budget of about 70/80k. Was initially thinking of getting the Triban RC 520, but Track and Trials have a good offer going on a Bianchi Via Nirone 7. Just thought would post in here and check for any suggestions or recommendations regarding the Bianchi.
At a brand level, Bianchi any day over Triban. But first I'll suggest doing a TD on both bikes to figure out fit and comfort level. Then evaluate from the components perspective and then take the monetary based call.
Old 14th October 2019, 08:39   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
At a brand level, Bianchi any day over Triban. But first I'll suggest doing a TD on both bikes to figure out fit and comfort level. Then evaluate from the components perspective and then take the monetary based call.
Appreciate your feedback
Will take a TD of the Bianchi tomorrow
Old 14th October 2019, 10:33   #4385
BHPian

Please allow me a full throated rant against the motorcycles and scooters who are a mortal danger to the poor, puny cyclist.

I am a strictly amateurish beginner and a recent addition to the cycling fraternity, preferring to ride solo. I do not cycle on crowded roads and ride only with the full paraphrenalia of protective equipment. Living in the distant suburbs of Bangalore, I can get away on to clear roads. And yet I am constantly having skirmishes with three types of neanderthals who unfortunately get on to a motorcycle

- The one who comes on the wrong side of the road
- The one who clips my rear wheel
- The one who overtakes me from nowhere and immediately turns left

The wrongside goon is a major problem for me. This is a widely prevalent disease in Bangalore, but the norms for motorised transport are clear - the wrongsider will pass by your left. But what is completely unclear is when you are in a bicycle riding the right way on the extreme left, how is the wrongsider to pass. Of the 100 odd wrongsiding motorcylists I encounter in a 50 KM ride, 75% follow the norm of passing on your left (never mind that you are forced to swerve in to fast moving traffic). The other 25% are confused how to pass and a game of kabaddi starts. Even more fun when the wrongsider emerges suddenly from behind a parked bus.

The rear wheel clipper is another major danger. Here I am pedalling peacefully on level roads and suddenly I have vaulted right over the handlebar and sprawled on the tarmac. Courtesy the motorcycle from the back kissing my rear wheel as the kid riding it cannot judge relative speeds. Of course he has sped away leaving me sprawled on the ground.

And what about the left turner. It's a complete insult to his manhood to not pass a puny cyclist. The moment has to come when he is about to turn left. Accelerating, performing a Valentino Rossiesque turn and giving a side swipe to my handlebar in the process is considered mandatory behaviour.

I have now become a comical figure while riding my bicycle. Furiously waving my hands at the wrongsider, turning back and yelling at the biker behind not to kiss my backside etc etc occupies more time and energy than pedalling.

This rant has been triggered by 6 chipped teeth, fractured fingers, bruised ribs and innumerable visits to the doctor in the last one year. This thread is full of advice on new bikes. I wish it had even more advice on good orthos, dentists etc - I have spent more money on doctors than on my bicycle thus far !

Incidentally the bicycle helmet is only half useful. No protection to the chin at all, as I have learnt to my misery. Have to wear a chin guard and teeth guards too.

This rant is to get some steam off, but is also a plea to gurus in this thread for guidance on how to combat the menace of a Pithecanthropus Erectus (the forerunner to Homo Sapiens) riding a Motorcycle.
Secretariat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 11:47   #4386
BHPian

Hello BHP'ians,
Planning to buy a Hybrid Bicycle for a daily commute to the Gym (3 Kms one way). The Bicycle would not be used for any other purpose.
  • Can I get a few suggestions on the Models I can look at? My budget being Rs.30-35K
  • And also the places that I can buy from? I live in Western Suburbs of Mumbai.

I am going through the thread as well but considering that the festive season is around the corner, I wanted to check if you'll are aware of any deals/clearances that are going on?

Last edited by curiosity : 14th October 2019 at 11:53.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:53   #4387
BHPian

Are there any better electric cycles (better than the ones sold by the likes of Hero Cycles with their Lectra branding) sold by the biggies like Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Yamaha, etc. in India anywhere? I checked online and couldn't get any information regarding this.
Old 14th October 2019, 15:08   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Are there any better electric cycles sold by the biggies.
I guess TREK has it in India on made to order basis. I spoke to their main dealer in Bangalore but, it starts at 1.75 Lakhs.

There is a separate thread for electric cycles on Team Bhp. You may get some info there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...e-guide-4.html
Old 14th October 2019, 16:25   #4389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Hello BHP'ians,
Planning to buy a Hybrid Bicycle for a daily commute to the Gym (3 Kms one way). The Bicycle would not be used for any other purpose.
If it is just 3 kms, I would suggest you run or jog to the gym, it will also act as warm up.

If you still think you should buy one, buy a basic costing around 10-15k or lesser.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:36   #4390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
If it is just 3 kms, I would suggest you run or jog to the gym, it will also act as warm up.

If you still think you should buy one, buy a basic costing around 10-15k or lesser.
Hey LoneRidder, Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried jogging/running and I tend to skip it more often than doing it. Hence thinking of cycling. With the 10-15K budget, can you suggest some good models pls?
Old 14th October 2019, 16:38   #4391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
- The one who comes on the wrong side of the road
- The one who clips my rear wheel
- The one who overtakes me from nowhere and immediately turns left
Oh, my! I feel for you.

Though I am new to cycling I can relate. I have come across this quick left turners quite often. These buggers simply assume a cycle goes by an ants pace and they have whole worlds time to cut corners.

Last weekend a similar incident happened. A biker along with his girl friend (assuming) on one of the airport road inclines cut me off with a sharp left and continued. As it was incline I gained reasonable speed and overtook him. Being with his girlfriend, definitely it hit his ego, the rest became history in seconds as he zoomed passed me again.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:14   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
Hey LoneRidder, Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried jogging/running and I tend to skip it more often than doing it. Hence thinking of cycling. With the 10-15K budget, can you suggest some good models pls?
Honestly I am not an expert to suggest. But I think you should visit Decathlon, they have good once with reasonable cost.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:28   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post

+1. For a 3 km one way ride, you don't need to spend 30k. Buy any decent hybrid around 10-15k, geared or otherwise, from Decathlon or Montra/Hercules and you are good to ride.
Old 14th October 2019, 22:20   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
This rant is to get some steam off, but is also a plea to gurus in this thread for guidance on how to combat the menace of a Pithecanthropus Erectus (the forerunner to Homo Sapiens) riding a Motorcycle.
Why do I get the feeling that you live somewhere close to Sarjapur Road?
I'm no guru but I'm going to assume that all those accidents are despite your bike handling skills (like braking hard without going over the bars, falling off a bike safely etc.) during emergency situations. I have found that riding fully kitted gets you some level of respect on the roads. I'm not talking about going 'all lycra all the time' but powerful front and rear blinking lights and a pair of gaudy sunglasses underneath that helmet of yours definitely helps. It is unfortunate but motorists do seem to hesitate, even if only a bit, before doing something stupid like rear ending or cutting you off if the cyclist *looks* expensive. You also need to appear confident. Not sure if others agree. In any case, ride safe!
Old 15th October 2019, 12:01   #4395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For about 12k, you would get a Mach City Munich with 21 gears. Two of my friends have this, and even for 40-50 km weekend rides, this performs rather well. IMHO, anything above 15k is certainly an overkill for your requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
I have found that riding fully kitted gets you some level of respect on the roads. I'm not talking about going 'all lycra all the time' but powerful front and rear blinking lights and a pair of gaudy sunglasses underneath that helmet of yours definitely helps.
Yes, I do agree to this. Many motorists respect proper cyclists, but there are few morons who don't mind what comes their way - even if it is a speeding SUV. Leaving such exceptions out, many seem to be decently respectful of safe cyclists with helmet, goggles and shoes, at least that is what I have experienced till now.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 15th October 2019 at 12:06.

Most Viewed