Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 12:57   #4591

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hey guys,

Got accepted as a member 4 days back, after reading numerous threads for about 7 years.
I want to show you guys what I picked up a few weeks ago through a used bikes portal.

Hercules ACT 110.
Yes, it is old and has been discontinued.
But, it looks really classy and elegant (subjective).
Yes, I paid about a grand more and it has issues.
But, any bike close to that was way more expensive for what I consider to be an impulsive buy. I did not want to spend north of even 10k and not cycle for more than a month.
This bike looks so good, I could hang it my garage and it could make the garage look good.

I have read posts from fellow Bhpians, @ninjatalli, @ebonho and @bugatti. Beautiful rides.
Also,
The front wheel seems to be bent a little, can anybody please tell me if the bend can be removed or the wheel has to be replaced?
Thank you.

Would want to attach a few pictures,

The Bicycles thread-img_1837.jpg

The Bicycles thread-fb1b5b6358f14ee28146fb8df2ee2a8a.jpeg

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th July 2020 at 17:48. Reason: Aligning pics.
Samarth parames is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:56   #4592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth parames View Post
Hey guys,
...Also,
The front wheel seems to be bent a little, can anybody please tell me if the bend can be removed or the wheel has to be replaced? ...
Are you referring to the wheel being out of true? Unless it has taken a hard knock, it should be possible to rectify it by truing- adjusting the spoke tension.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 16:50   #4593

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Are you referring to the wheel being out of true? Unless it has taken a hard knock, it should be possible to rectify it by truing- adjusting the spoke tension.
Right sir, it indeed is out of true, did not know the terminology.
Thank you very much, I've read about it enough about it now to the shop and ask for what need to be done.
Old 11th July 2020, 23:52   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
This is mine; A Merida Reacto 400. Just started back after a 2 year hiatus! So far 215 kms in 7 days

Attachment 2020405

Still long way from Peak fitness, hoping to get there soon
Good luck with your rides Mi10. I almost bought the Reacto 400 some time back and later dropped the idea. Now I am hunting for a road bike and I see your post. I felt we had similar taste with the JTP, although I changed my mind and bought the Nissan Kicks . I might get the Reacto, will update
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:40   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, Strava showed 192W which is my highest so far. And because my Garmin can't record wind speeds and air density, actual watts must be more than this. What will be a good instrument to measure wind speed and air density so that I can see real watts?
You need to get power-meter. I would suggest the vector3 or powertap pedals, so that you can swap them between the two. Only problem, then you will need to ride with cleated shoes. I am certain you are generating way more power than what strava guesses, because we cannot really hold that aero position for long.
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:53   #4596
BHPian

Completed my first 100KM this weekend.
The last time i tried(about 3 years back), i couldn't go over 70KM. My legs gave up and I had to call for help.

This time, i planned it well. Cycling daily for the past 3 weeks helped me gain the required strength and stamina.
At an unfit 99Kg and on a 7 Speed MyBike MTB, it wasn't easy, but I knew it, and took it slow.

The Bicycles thread-11072020.jpg

The Bicycles thread-23062020_2.jpg
aneezan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:20   #4597
BHPian

Smart Indoor Trainers

Hi All,

I've been a regular cyclist for last 4 years and started off with a Fuji Absolute 2.1 which I rode for a long time. Recently, upgraded to a road bike, the Scott Speedster 20 with a Tiagra groupset, carbon forks and steerer. I was keen to know about some indoor training options here and had quite a few questions. I will try and outline some of them in the hope that some of the gurus out there will be able to help out.

1. Cheapest smart indoor trainer available currently. What is everyone using?
2. What are the connectivity options with apps like Zwift
3. How does one modulate the resistance on a smart trainer? Is it done via the software app itself?
4. Does one need to change the rear tire to a trainer tire and does one also need to change the cassette.
5. Can i buy a basic indoor trainer, add speed, cadence sensors to make it smart? How does one manage the power out since power sensors seem to be expensive.

My main goal is to do outdoor rides summing up to around 170 kms per week over 4 days (25x2 for weekdays and 60x2 for weekends). Rest of the days, wanted to do around 25-30 kms of indoor training post work in the evenings.

Please excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere, but my search didnt yield any results.
Old 20th July 2020, 13:59   #4598
kat
BHPian

Re: Smart Indoor Trainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
3. How does one modulate the resistance on a smart trainer? Is it done via the software app itself?
4. Does one need to change the rear tire to a trainer tire and does one also need to change the cassette.
5. Can i buy a basic indoor trainer, add speed, cadence sensors to make it smart? How does one manage the power out since power sensors seem to be expensive.
1. As on date, the Elite Suito should be the cheapest smart direct drive trainer in India (around 65k now, used to be 55k before lockdown). All smart trainers are in great demand and you need to pre-order one now. Roll-on smart trainers are cheaper, but I have not researched on the same.
2. Smart trainers are usually ANT+/Bluetooth compatible. You will need ANT+ dongle to connect to a laptop or you should be able to connect to smartphone app directly using BT.
3. Zwift/other similar apps do it automatically based on the route you are riding in. There are also training workouts which vary resistance dynamically. Zwift is quite costly, otherwise it is the gold standard as on date.
4. Tire change is not necessary for a smart trainer (direct drive based). For a roll-on trainer, yes, you need to buy a separate trainer tire. Cassette, again you need one for a smart trainer but not for a roll-on trainer. If you get Suito, it comes with a 105 cassette, but since your bike has a tiagra groupset, you should buy a tiagra cassette (10 speed) additionally.
5. Very much possible, but then basic trainers do not vary resistance dynamically and that very much takes the fun out of cycling. If no dedicated power meter is used, power will be estimated based on your speed and cadence, I guess.

My suggestion - Go for a proper direct drive trainer if budget is not a constraint since riding on them gives near road like feel. Go for a cheap trainer otherwise, but then it will be pretty much boring. Still better than not being able to ride at all.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:12   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
1. As on date, the Elite Suito should be the cheapest smart direct drive trainer in India (around 65k now, used to be 55k before lockdown). All smart trainers are in great demand and you need to pre-order one now. Roll-on smart trainers are cheaper, but I have not researched on the same.
2. Smart trainers are usually ANT+/Bluetooth compatible. You will need ANT+ dongle to connect to a laptop or you should be able to connect to smartphone app directly using BT.
3. Zwift/other similar apps do it automatically based on the route you are riding in. There are also training workouts which vary resistance dynamically. Zwift is quite costly, otherwise it is the gold standard as on date.
4. Tire change is not necessary for a smart trainer (direct drive based). For a roll-on trainer, yes, you need to buy a separate trainer tire. Cassette, again you need one for a smart trainer but not for a roll-on trainer. If you get Suito, it comes with a 105 cassette, but since your bike has a tiagra groupset, you should buy a tiagra cassette (10 speed) additionally.
5. Very much possible, but then basic trainers do not vary resistance dynamically and that very much takes the fun out of cycling. If no dedicated power meter is used, power will be estimated based on your speed and cadence, I guess.

My suggestion - Go for a proper direct drive trainer if budget is not a constraint since riding on them gives near road like feel. Go for a cheap trainer otherwise, but then it will be pretty much boring. Still better than not being able to ride at all.
Hi Kat,

Many thanks for your inputs here. I did some R&D on the trainers and I felt that Direct drive trainers seem to be quite expensive for my budget. I was more keen on a Roll on smart trainer since my indoor training needs will be quite limited, say 25-30 kms per ride. Would you be able to advise on the indicative pricing of these Roll on trainers?

I agree with your point on basic trainers which will not provide the inputs and variation that is needed and hence was keen on these middle range trainers.

Regards
Premjit
Old 20th July 2020, 15:29   #4600
kat
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with your point on basic trainers which will not provide the inputs and variation that is needed and hence was keen on these middle range trainers.
When it comes to wheel-on smart trainers, cost should be between 25k to 50k. Do understand that smart trainers are those which vary resistance dynamically and not just transmit power data over ANT+.
Options are as follows:
1. Elite Qubo
2. Wahoo kickr snap
3. Saris M2 (Cyclops)
4. Minoura Mag Ride
5. Tacx also has one, don't remember the model.

Wahoo kickr snap has very good reviews but a bit costly at 50k or so. Elite Qubo should be good enough as well for around 30k.
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:17   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
When it comes to wheel-on smart trainers, cost should be between 25k to 50k. Do understand that smart trainers are those which vary resistance dynamically and not just transmit power data over ANT+.
Options are as follows:
1. Elite Qubo
2. Wahoo kickr snap
3. Saris M2 (Cyclops)
4. Minoura Mag Ride
5. Tacx also has one, don't remember the model.

Wahoo kickr snap has very good reviews but a bit costly at 50k or so. Elite Qubo should be good enough as well for around 30k.
Thanks a ton. I like the Elite Qubo, which seems a decent bet, though the technology is slightly different.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:03   #4602
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton. I like the Elite Qubo, which seems a decent bet, though the technology is slightly different.
Yes, it should be good enough for your occasional 25 kms training. Do post a review of it once you purchase the same
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:08   #4603
BHPian

Quote:

My main goal is to do outdoor rides summing up to around 170 kms per week over 4 days (25x2 for weekdays and 60x2 for weekends). Rest of the days, wanted to do around 25-30 kms of indoor training post work in the evenings.
1. Cheapest option I suggest is Decathlon InRide 500, its a fluid trainer, and I have heard decent usage reviews on it and its not that expensive like others. I will also suggest you to consider Kinetic Road Machine trainer, even though its not really cheap like decathlon models.
2. If you just add a speed sensor to your wheel and use any DUMP indoor trainer, you can do Zwift rides, other sensors are optional and gives additional ride parameters, that is all. Definitely, an interactive smart trainer will replicate road feels based on the elevation.
3. in the lower end trainers, magnetic trainers can be adjusted manually using a cable/lever and fluid based trainers change resistance automatically based on speed. More speed, more the resistance.
4. Better to use trainer tires on trainer, otherwise the normal tires will be wearing out and will cause flats often while riding out. If possible try to get a spare wheelset+casette+trainer tire, then swapping wheels for indoor and outdoor rides will not be difficult. Otherwise you will realise that changing tires from trainer to normal tiers often, will be time consuming and tiring.
5. If budget is a constraint, buy any dump trainer, add a speed sensor to the wheel and you are good to go. However for long term plan and usage, invest in a medium range trainer which has some good reviews, durability and service/support availability.

I will suggest you either go for Decathlon Inride 500, Kinetic Road Machine or Wahoo Kickr snap.

Note - I have been riding on trainers for last 4 years, and in the last 10 months I have clocked some 2800 kms on my Kinetic Road Machine indoor trainer itself. My indoor riding distance is more than outdoor riding these days, of course due to the current COVID scenario. Also my indoor riding is almost similar to your requirement, I ride for 1 hour and try to cover 25 kms approx, and try to ride 4-5 days of a week these days.
Old 21st July 2020, 15:35   #4604
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support: Please see the following link on how to insert pictures into posts: (*NEW*: Improved attachment uploading on Team-BHP!)*NEW*: Improved attachment uploading on Team-BHP!

I saw this U stand at a store and ordered one from Giant. Looks neat. It's embarrassing, but I had to figure out how to use it though (there was no instruction manual), LOL.

The Bicycles thread-img_3748.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th July 2020 at 08:29. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 21st July 2020, 18:18   #4605
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Note - I have been riding on trainers for last 4 years, and in the last 10 months I have clocked some 2800 kms on my Kinetic Road Machine indoor trainer itself. My indoor riding distance is more than outdoor riding these days, of course due to the current COVID scenario. Also my indoor riding is almost similar to your requirement, I ride for 1 hour and try to cover 25 kms approx, and try to ride 4-5 days of a week these days.
Just for my understanding, can you please inform what is the tire life of trainer tires? I assume it should be about 5000 kms or so. And what happens if you ride with trainer tires on roads, do they wear out much faster?

Most Viewed