Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 11:48   #4636
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Thanks tbppjpr. Any recommendations (Brand + Model) on what I can get in a decent budget?

Thanks ninjatalli! What size of Maxxis Detonator are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
No idea - that was 6 years ago. The bike isn't with me any more. Not aware of any other site.
I am in same boat as yours Jaspreet. i have a Montra Rock 1.0 26inch and i also am looking for change from my current 26*2.1 MTB tyres. Maxxis detonator is not available on Bumsonsaddle, however Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 1.75 looks good to me.
Cost is 1.9k per tyre.

I had issues with my Zoom suspension as well, got it replaced free from Montra and the current one ( Just 50mm travel ) is doing ok, it bottoms out on big bumps ofcourse.

I have given up on suspension upgrade since chances of getting a genuine fork are as good as getting stellar service from Skoda.

I may lookout for second hand Suntour suspension ,will get it thoroughly serviced if it looks good.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 12:30   #4637
Senior - BHPian

News about Boris Johnson riding Hero cycle. Although its by Insyc, owned by Hero and designed in UK but manufactured in India. I think we dont get this here

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/bori...-lateststories
Old 30th July 2020, 13:48   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I am in same boat as yours Jaspreet. i have a Montra Rock 1.0 26inch and i also am looking for change from my current 26*2.1 MTB tyres. Maxxis detonator is not available on Bumsonsaddle, however Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 1.75 looks good to me.
Cost is 1.9k per tyre.

I may lookout for second hand Suntour suspension ,will get it thoroughly serviced if it looks good.
Almost all models from Vittoria, Schwalbe, etc. are out of stock on all sites.
Except for the Schwalbe Marathon that you have mentioned above, the other option is Michelin Protek on Amazon.in.

Any idea how good Michelin is?

I'm a bit reluctant to put up tyres worth 4k on a bike that costed me around 6.5k in total!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 15:54   #4639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post

Any idea how good Michelin is?

I'm a bit reluctant to put up tyres worth 4k on a bike that costed me around 6.5k in total!
Not worth then, its better you change your bike,since all other components of that bike will be of inferior quality.

Mine is a 17k bike, so maybe i guess i can
Actually i also have plans to change my Crankset since current one is Prowheel brand and has 42-32-24 teeth, looking to upgrade to Shimano one if its affordable.

Since my frame is already good( 6061 aluminium alloy ), i can think of going the upgrade route slow and steady, rather than spending on a brand new bike ( since due to covid i will not run the bike as much as i would have usually )

One of the better cycling shops here in Pune will open on 2nd Aug, looking forward to visiting it.
Old 30th July 2020, 16:24   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Not worth then, its better you change your bike,since all other components of that bike will be of inferior quality.
Exactly my thoughts!

The tyre upgrade is in the plan only because it's relatively cheaper and also that even otherwise, I have to change the tyres as they have developed cracks.

I don't want to upgrade right now, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to sustain cycling for long run and don't want to spend 30-40k on a bike and then again leave it unused!

So, the current plan is to change tyres, get a used fork (if I get it at all) and put on a couple thousand kms. If I'm able to be consistent, then I'll go the Hybrid/Road bike way.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 30th July 2020, 21:40   #4641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Guy's , Do you any of you have any experience with Omobikes which is an Indian brand. It seems pretty cheap for what all it offers but how is it's reliability and quality in the long term ?

Is it worth buying or better to buy a slightly expensive Montra in that price range ?
Really need some help in this as I am new to cycling and want to have it only for leisure rides with my kid. Don't want to spend more than 14k. Need a reliable bike that won't fall apart often. I think Hybrid bikes are more suitable for me. I have seen bikes from Omo and Frog as it falls under this budget. Are these brands good and offer service support in case something fails.
Old 30th July 2020, 21:47   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
Can I please get some advice from all the experts here? I am looking to buy a hybrid bike, and am considering whether to buy from Decathlon, or buy an imported bike (Trek Fx1 looks very good- any thoughts?). One question I would lime advice on is servicing. The shops that sell foreign bikes- do they do a good job of servicing them? Do they have the expertise to service them? I'm asking because (I think) at least in Decathlon there will be good service. Please do share any experiences.
https://ad.admitad.com/g/0pgslvb2vvb...-100-road-bike

The Triban RC bikes have a more upright and comfortable riding posture than traditional road bikes but are still as light despite being strong enough for gravel riding. This one also comes with wide hybrid tires.

If you'd like something that's even lighter and with more gearing options:-
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8544693/h...ring-road-bike
This has the same upright frame and support for wider tires.

Way better than most other stuff in this price range. Decathlon delivery and service is a plus.

Last edited by Amien : 30th July 2020 at 21:53.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:04   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
want to have it only for leisure rides with my kid. Are these brands good and offer service support in case something fails.
You can go for Hero Sprint range of single speed bikes, i would stay away from new brands when you already have established brands in market. Go to a good cycle shop and get yourself a bike, you will have peace of mind and no service hassles.

Decathlon also has Riverside 50/100/120 which fall well under your budget. You can order one online and it gets shipped to you home.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 10:10   #4644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can go for Hero Sprint range of single speed bikes, i would stay away from new brands when you already have established brands in market. Go to a good cycle shop and get yourself a bike, you will have peace of mind and no service hassles.

Decathlon also has Riverside 50/100/120 which fall well under your budget. You can order one online and it gets shipped to you home.
I wanted to know about Disc brakes, are they reliable ? I read some reviews where the discs break suddenly in even newer bikes. Is this the case with all brands of bikes or only the cheaper ones like Hero Sprint etc.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:26   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem with Decathlon is they charge 1000 Rupees for delivery. I am looking for entry level bike for occasional use and shortlisted Btwin mybike. It costs 4999. Including basic accessories and shipping it comes around 7300 Rupees. Mach City ibike single speed available in local store costs around the same.

Bit confused which one to buy.

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st August 2020 at 10:51.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 10:56   #4646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know about Disc brakes, are they reliable ? .
Very reliable, cheaper bikes come with Mechanical disc brakes and they are safe to use. In fact disc brakes bikes are easy to handle in case of wheel removal.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 12:08   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Problem with Decathlon is they charge 1000 Rupees for delivery. I am looking for entry level bike for occasional use and shortlisted Btwin mybike. It costs 4999. Including basic accessories and shipping it comes around 7300 Rupees. Mach City ibike single speed available in local store costs around the same.

Bit confused which one to buy.
Quote:
Go to a good cycle shop and get yourself a bike, you will have peace of mind and no service hassles.

I usually prefer buying locally to support local business but due to this pandemic I am afraid to go offline shopping. So this time I will be purchasing online only but most of the affordable bikes in Decathalon are showing as out of stock.
Old 1st August 2020, 12:40   #4648
BHPian

So, I got back into bicycling a fortnight ago. It’s been an absolute delight. It has been very uplifting in these times .Weather has been great. Am cycling regularly – will be achieving my 150 km / week target for the second consecutive week. In the initial days I rode alone a few times covering 20-25 kms at a time to get into the rhythm. After 2-3 solo rides, I started cycling with an enthusiastic morning group, and literally hit the ground running – forced to improve and become a 35 km / day kind of rider. Have been able to maintain ~20 km / hr average. Best rides have been in and around the Aravalis, as well as Gurgaon – Qutub Minar rides.

It’s frustrating to play catch up to the two hybrids in the group. Was quite fed up of hustling the MTB to keep up along with the extreme effort to climb slopes which there are plenty of on the routes around me. Was toying with the idea of changing the tires to a hybrid type. (you don’t need to change the rim). Another friend has made this change and is much happier, although he had a bad puncture a few evenings back.

While I do cycle for fitness, I was partly divided on the switch to hybrid tires. More calories burn vs going faster. The decision was made when I went on some trails (last pictures). Am definitely retaining the current set up.

ps - If you live around phase 1 and want to connect, let me know. I ride in the evenings too on some days.

The Bicycles thread-1.-img_20200723_072020.jpg

The Bicycles thread-2.-img_20200723_073327.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3.-img_20200728_075052.jpg

The Bicycles thread-4.jpg

The Bicycles thread-5.-img_20200730_075344.jpg

The Bicycles thread-6.-img_20200730_075519.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20200730_080733__01.jpg
promit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 12:45   #4649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I usually prefer buying locally to support local business but due to this pandemic I am afraid to go offline shopping. So this time I will be purchasing online only but most of the affordable bikes in Decathalon are showing as out of stock.
Based on your TBHP location I checked PIN code 629165 in Track&Trail website. They deliver to this PIN code. Looks like nearest showroom for you is in Nagarcoil, have a look, and talk to the local (Track&Trail) store.

Edit:
This is their address from the website:
Valli Enterprises.
(Thiruvananthapuram Road), Joshua Road, Opp Csi Higher Secondary School, Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu 629163

Mr.S Nainar / Ramakrishnan
valli.fitness@yahoo.com

9443842427 / 9443844909

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st August 2020 at 13:06.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 13:07   #4650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Based on your TBHP location I checked PIN code 629165 in Track&Trail website. They deliver to this PIN code. Looks like nearest showroom for you is in Nagarcoil, have a look, and talk to the local Track&Trail store.

Edit:
This is their address from the website:
Valli Enterprises.
(Thiruvananthapuram Road), Joshua Road, Opp Csi Higher Secondary School, Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu 629163

Mr.S Nainar / Ramakrishnan
valli.fitness@yahoo.com

9443842427 / 9443844909
Thanks a lot for this. This showroom is still 30 Kms away from where I live but I will just give them a call and check for availability.

Most Viewed