Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 13:23   #4651
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kannur
Posts: 3,551
Thanked: 5,495 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks a lot for this. This showroom is still 30 Kms away from where I live but I will just give them a call and check for availability.
Above address I mentioned is the local Track&Trail store. You should be able to place order online and get it delivered to you. Most probably delivery is done by the local store. Please talk to them first.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 14:50   #4652
BHPian
 
ast.ggn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 165
Thanked: 814 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
It’s frustrating to play catch up to the two hybrids in the group. Was quite fed up of hustling the MTB to keep up along with the extreme effort to climb slopes which there are plenty of on the routes around me. Was toying with the idea of changing the tires to a hybrid type. (you don’t need to change the rim). Another friend has made this change and is much happier, although he had a bad puncture a few evenings back.

While I do cycle for fitness, I was partly divided on the switch to hybrid tires. More calories burn vs going faster. The decision was made when I went on some trails (last pictures). Am definitely retaining the current set up.
I have seen people with MTBs beating people on hybrids (they had quite a bit of experience of course). Nothing wrong with the thought of switching tyres though, but I wouldn't personally do it unless it is very much required. MTBs do much better on trails. It is not just a matter of calories in and out, consistency is what matters. Retain your set up and work on your fitness levels, I would suggest.

PS: I use the road shared by you in pics on weekends, I like the challenge over there. Let's hope to bump into each other someday. I ride a Scott 650.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 1st August 2020 at 14:51.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:58   #4653
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 62
Thanked: 580 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
Can I please get some advice from all the experts here? I am looking to buy a hybrid bike, and am considering whether to buy from Decathlon, or buy an imported bike (Trek Fx1 looks very good- any thoughts?). One question I would lime advice on is servicing. The shops that sell foreign bikes- do they do a good job of servicing them? Do they have the expertise to service them? I'm asking because (I think) at least in Decathlon there will be good service. Please do share any experiences.
Trek Fx series is a pretty good bike, but I would go with Domane series, honestly if one is putting close to 50k in the bike, let's just buy one with drops rather than a flat bar. If you can get Merida Speeders or Scott metrix that is a very good option as well.
Personally, I would generally go with a full carbon fork, as the compliance is way better with carbon compared to Alloy forks, though this difference diminishes as you keep increasing the tyre width.

Decathlon service will depend on local personnel, so nothing special about it and a local high end servicing person will do a pretty good job as well. I prefer to do most of the servicing of the bike at home, you can service your drivetrain, change some basic stuff at home and only need to go to servicing may be once a year, when I generally break up the full bike, clean every component up and then put it back together. (This should be done at a trusted place though as lots of things can go wrong in this operation ).

Plus getting spares for a shimano drivetrain will be easier outside as the local decathlon never has it and they tell you to wait 15-20 days. I still remember waiting for 15 days for a new set of Shimano RC11s and then went ahead and bought a pair of Mavic Aksiums from outside.

As an aside, I am not a big fan of disc brakes with QRs. Discs are fine with Thru Axles, but with QRs, every time one removes the wheel, you need to recalibrate the caliper otherwise there is disc rub which is painful. Discs are better in bad weather or if you plan to go to carbon rims, where the rim brake performance really degrades. But any bike worth putting carbon rims now comes with thru axles anyway
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:22   #4654
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Trek Fx series is a pretty good bike, but I would go with Domane series, honestly if one is putting close to 50k in the bike, let's just buy one with drops rather than a flat bar. If you can get Merida Speeders or Scott metrix that is a very good option as well.
Personally, I would generally go with a full carbon fork, as the compliance is way better with carbon compared to Alloy forks, though this difference diminishes as you keep increasing the tyre width.

Decathlon service will depend on local personnel, so nothing special about it and a local high end servicing person will do a pretty good job as well. I prefer to do most of the servicing of the bike at home, you can service your drivetrain, change some basic stuff at home and only need to go to servicing may be once a year, when I generally break up the full bike, clean every component up and then put it back together. (This should be done at a trusted place though as lots of things can go wrong in this operation ).

Plus getting spares for a shimano drivetrain will be easier outside as the local decathlon never has it and they tell you to wait 15-20 days. I still remember waiting for 15 days for a new set of Shimano RC11s and then went ahead and bought a pair of Mavic Aksiums from outside.

As an aside, I am not a big fan of disc brakes with QRs. Discs are fine with Thru Axles, but with QRs, every time one removes the wheel, you need to recalibrate the caliper otherwise there is disc rub which is painful. Discs are better in bad weather or if you plan to go to carbon rims, where the rim brake performance really degrades. But any bike worth putting carbon rims now comes with thru axles anyway
Thanks, this is very useful. The other issue currently is going to try an bike, given COVID and all the rest of it. i am going to decathlon this week; I'll see what to do after that. Thanks for your inputs though- very appreciated !
SushilJ is offline  
Old 4th August 2020, 20:05   #4655
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,364
Thanked: 515 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Guys, looking for some advise here..

After riding my single speed Btwin hybrid for the last three months and clocking about 400 kms a month, I felt the need of a geared bike for longer distances and higher speed. After looking around and some research I have homed on to the Triban RC 120 from Decathlon. Fortunately it is available in my size (small) off the shelf.

So my question to the more knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum is
- What all should I check on the bike before I take delivery? something like a PDI.
- What are the essential accessories do I need to get along with the bike?
- Any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks
goandude is offline  
Old 5th August 2020, 10:47   #4656
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,347
Thanked: 2,195 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Guys, looking for some advise here..

After riding my single speed Btwin hybrid for the last three months and clocking about 400 kms a month, I felt the need of a geared bike for longer distances and higher speed. After looking around and some research I have homed on to the Triban RC 120 from Decathlon. Fortunately it is available in my size (small) off the shelf.

So my question to the more knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum is
- What all should I check on the bike before I take delivery? something like a PDI.
- What are the essential accessories do I need to get along with the bike?
- Any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks
There isn't much that can go wrong, and if it does, it will get fixed within warranty. Decathlon are good with that.

But, it seems good quality cycles are in short supply lately, and you might as well pick it up real quick.
roy_libran is offline  
Old 5th August 2020, 14:45   #4657
BHPian
 
aneezan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 417
Thanked: 259 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
So my question to the more knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum is
- What all should I check on the bike before I take delivery? something like a PDI.
- What are the essential accessories do I need to get along with the bike?
- Any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks
I got my RC120 a month back and it has been great. Mine is a large size(am 6ft).
- Please ensure you take a test ride before you dive in. Going from a hybrid/MTB to road(with drop handlebars) is a big difference. Getting comfortable will take some time. I am still getting used to it. Also get the fit right before you leave with the bike.
- Tyres and gearing are important. Ensure the gears are smooth shifting. These are Microshift but so far have been excellent.
- I bought a cycle stand and a bottle holder. Nothing else.
aneezan is offline  
Old 5th August 2020, 18:38   #4658
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 764
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Pop-up Cycle lane coming-up in Bangalore ORR. Hope this get implemented.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4857291 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)
shamanth is offline  
Old 5th August 2020, 19:06   #4659
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kannur
Posts: 3,551
Thanked: 5,495 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I placed order online for a basic single speed btwin mybike on decathlon site. They charge 1000 Rupees for home delivery and hope they deliver without any damage. Total price including accessories (bell, mudflaps, and chain stay stand) + shipping it came around 7250 Rupees. It will be used for less than 5 km a day when I am in my hometown.

I am looking for a helmet under 2k, any suggestions?

I was using Riverside 100 for the past one year for my office runs and gave away when I moved back.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th August 2020 at 19:14.
Latheesh is offline  
Old 6th August 2020, 19:47   #4660
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04-HR26-MH12
Posts: 200
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Guys, need some feedback on Firefox Radpide 21S. I will be using it for leisure drive around the city. How does Firefox Road Runner pro-v stands in competition? Thanks!
drive_angry is offline  
Old 6th August 2020, 21:20   #4661
BHPian
 
ast.ggn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 165
Thanked: 814 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Guys, need some feedback on Firefox Radpide 21S. I will be using it for leisure drive around the city. How does Firefox Road Runner pro-v stands in competition? Thanks!
Road runner comes with front suspension and Shimano tourney. That means it will be marginally heavier than Rapide and derailleur is lower spec but it will be little easy on bad roads. I had Rapide with me in 2015 for about an year and my buddy had road runner pro-d (disc brake). They are basically same bikes except for differences mentioned above.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 02:52   #4662
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Robin hood city
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,332 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Bought this used bike for my local errands today. I am not sure about the brand and how good it is. First impression has been good though.

The Bicycles thread-4d4a5699f2e347b48370cefd363f188e.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-8a84fa1dca4242e080e6543ad5bb2cc1.jpeg

Pardon for the untidy background. Hastily taken pics.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 04:12   #4663
BHPian
 
Amien's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Guys, looking for some advise here..

After riding my single speed Btwin hybrid for the last three months and clocking about 400 kms a month, I felt the need of a geared bike for longer distances and higher speed. After looking around and some research I have homed on to the Triban RC 120 from Decathlon. Fortunately it is available in my size (small) off the shelf.

So my question to the more knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum is
- What all should I check on the bike before I take delivery? something like a PDI.
- What are the essential accessories do I need to get along with the bike?
- Any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks
Set aside a day every week to do some cornering drills and just try to improve your bike handling in general.

Road bikes have a shorter wheel base and there is technique involved in cornering correctly without causing your pedal to hit the ground when leaning, And lean you must as the handlebars are narrow and the front wheel a lot closer to your leg.

Once you get the technique down, a roadbike out-maneuvers just about anything else on the road. Some trial and error might be required. Slalom cones are ideal if you can get some.
Amien is online now  
Old 7th August 2020, 11:33   #4664
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,364
Thanked: 515 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
There isn't much that can go wrong, and if it does, it will get fixed within warranty. Decathlon are good with that.
But, it seems good quality cycles are in short supply lately, and you might as well pick it up real quick.
You are very right. Due to issues with imports I think. But I was lucky to get a Small size. I did a few test rides and found the S was much more comfortable than the M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I got my RC120 a month back and it has been great. Mine is a large size(am 6ft).
- Please ensure you take a test ride before you dive in. Going from a hybrid/MTB to road(with drop handlebars) is a big difference. Getting comfortable will take some time. I am still getting used to it. Also get the fit right before you leave with the bike.
- Tyres and gearing are important. Ensure the gears are smooth shifting. These are Microshift but so far have been excellent.
- I bought a cycle stand and a bottle holder. Nothing else.
Congrats on your new bike. We should exchange notes.
I did my usual CV Raman Nagar to Koramangala (20 km) morning ride yesterday.

And boy was I exhilarated with the bike. It's handling, responsiveness and speed. Seemed like a Sports car compared to my previous bike (single speed steel frame). The 120 fits me like a glove and I was immediately comfortable in the saddle. Only thing is I have to get used to the paddle gear shifts. But getting there slowly. The gears are smooth shifting. Also got to get used to the pedal clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Set aside a day every week to do some cornering drills and just try to improve your bike handling in general.

Some trial and error might be required. Slalom cones are ideal if you can get some.
Thanks for the advise. The bike handles so well and is so agile I literally feel like flying through traffic

OTOH the lack of rear vision mirror and wheel mudguards makes me uncomfortable in traffic and the wet roads leave a brown line down my back

The tyres are "tubeless ready" whatever that means. But it has Presta valves. Where can I get these filled to the stated 100 psi?
goandude is offline  
Old 7th August 2020, 11:49   #4665
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04-HR26-MH12
Posts: 200
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I got my RC120 a month back and it has been great. Mine is a large size(am 6ft).
What all options you had in mind before you made up your mind to buy RC120? I had the same bike on the radar but with the Flat Handlebars. Like someone said in aforementioned post, all the good bikes are out of stock, one has to just go by the reviews and requirement to finalise one these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I had Rapide with me in 2015 for about an year and my buddy had road runner pro-d (disc brake). They are basically same bikes except for differences mentioned above.
Thanks ash.ggn for your speedy and informative reply, what I was wondering is, are hybrid bikes susceptible to puncture and tyre blast as they say on the internet. Can it handle aggressive turns and minor potholes? what was the main sore point during your ownership period? Thanks!
drive_angry is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks