Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 15:04   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
If you see my OP, the plan was to get the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors and the Polar OH1+ HRM through a friend from US who was arriving in April. But since that couldn't happen, I am looking for a placeholder device for the time being which can help with these basic stats, which still are better than nothing. The instantaneous speed readings are which I currently give importance to as I am always doing HIIT on the trainer. I am not an avid cyclist and this is just a way of cardio training which I don't detest.
My point was that you can get a much better (more scientific and structured) workout with a HRM, which you can buy from Decathlon and pair it to your smart phone / Wahoo (or any other app that supports HR/other sensors) for less than what you would invest in a cyclo-computer, even a basic budget one (you can try wired ones either from Decathlon or Sunding if the wire is long enough to travel to the rear wheel, but I doubt it).

Your HR is a pure readout of effort. Your speed is a function of your gearing and cadence. Just my personal view for what its worth.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 15:09   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My point was that you can get a much better (more scientific and structured) workout with a HRM, which you can buy from Decathlon and pair it to your smart phone / Wahoo (or any other app that supports HR/other sensors) for less than what you would invest in a cyclo-computer, even a basic budget one (you can try wired ones either from Decathlon or Sunding if the wire is long enough to travel to the rear wheel, but I doubt it).

Your HR is a pure readout of effort. Your speed is a function of your gearing and cadence. Just my personal view for what its worth.

Cheers, Doc
Oh.Ok,got your point now. Which Decathlon HRM are you using and how has your experience been with it. Any issues with it losing connection with the phone midway through the workout or any other issues that you have faced with it.
Old 25th August 2020, 15:19   #4728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh.Ok,got your point now. Which Decathlon HRM are you using and how has your experience been with it. Any issues with it losing connection with the phone midway through the workout or any other issues that you have faced with it.
I use this one. Working well so far. Been using it for a year now, on the road as well as the trainer.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8334795/h...e-monitor-belt

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 05:00   #4729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Of course. I have the Decathlon InRide 500. And I had the very basic Cannondale IQ200 wireless which is designed for the front wheel. It is a basic cyclocomputer in which the sensor is mounted on the front wheel and the display unit on the handle bar. Problem in using it with the trainer is that when I move the sensor to the back wheel the display unit is not in range anymore when mounted on the handlebar as this system has a very short range.
The best stop gap arrangement for your setup would be to get a wired cyclocomputer from decathlon with wired sensor to sense wheel speed. Another option (not an elegant one) is to move the present computer from the handlebar to the top tube. This will not give you a very clear line of site as the handlebar location, but will keep a log of the ride and you can occasionally glance down and have a look at the distance parameter (if you use distance as a workout goal during your rides).

As you are not using a virtual trainer platform like Zwift, this would be the simplest solution to get you going. When you get your Garmin speed/cadence sensor and the HR strap, you could plan to upgrade to an online platform like Zwift.

Quote:
@graja is the pro. I've just been at this for a few months now.
Cheers, Doc
Doc, you are too kind! I am just another amateur fitness enthusiast and in no way a pro

Last edited by graaja : 26th August 2020 at 05:03.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 19:32   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
I use this one. Working well so far. Been using it for a year now, on the road as well as the trainer.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8334795/h...e-monitor-belt
Thank you. Placed an order for this one after a lot of tries as it kept showing it out of stock randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The best stop gap arrangement for your setup would be to get a wired cyclocomputer from decathlon with wired sensor to sense wheel speed. Another option (not an elegant one) is to move the present computer from the handlebar to the top tube. This will not give you a very clear line of site as the handlebar location, but will keep a log of the ride and you can occasionally glance down and have a look at the distance parameter (if you use distance as a workout goal during your rides).
Actually I had tried relocating to the top tube but it didn't work. What did work was when I kept a small stool next to the rear wheel and kept the display unit on that. It only helped in logging and then too there were some issues.
I checked out Decathlon and their wireless unit has a range of 3m and supports installing the sensors on the rear wheel but it shows that the product has been discontinued. It is still available in some stores so will ask a friend if he can pick it up for me but am a little wary to ask for a favor like this during this Corona situation. I used to keep checking the instantaneous speed during my workout but I suppose that can be substituted by the readings from the HRM for now.
Thanks for all the advice.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 20:40   #4731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Placed an order for this one after a lot of tries as it kept showing it out of stock randomly.
You're very lucky. The strap is out of stock at all 4 outlets in Poona. All the best.

Cheets, Doc
Old 26th August 2020, 21:44   #4732
BHPian

Quote:
You're very lucky. The strap is out of stock at all 4 outlets in Poona. All the best.

Cheets, Doc
It is still showing as available to me for online ordering. If someone is looking they can order online directly.
Old 26th August 2020, 22:55   #4733
kat
BHPian

Quote:
It is still showing as available to me for online ordering. If someone is looking they can order online directly.
I checked out in Madurai decathlon for this HRM since it showed as in stock. One of my cycling buddies working there mentioned that they were all 2017 stock and had various issues in them. Also, for more than a year, they didn't get any new stock. So, please be a bit careful and if possible, do check out if they work fine before buying.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:20   #4734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I checked out in Madurai decathlon for this HRM since it showed as in stock. One of my cycling buddies working there mentioned that they were all 2017 stock and had various issues in them. Also, for more than a year, they didn't get any new stock. So, please be a bit careful and if possible, do check out if they work fine before buying.
I don't have that option as I live in a village in Himachal so I only have the option of ordering online. I'll keep this in mind and if there are any issues, I'll return it.
Old 27th August 2020, 21:23   #4735
BHPian

Good evening.

I have been hunting a hatchback suitable (Honda Jazz) bike rack for sometime. The one in Decathlon cannot do 3 bikes unless the wheel of one bike is removed.

I came across a new brand BnB Rack and will welcome information on its availability. I saw it on a car but the owner was not there and the driver informed that it was bought from Gurgaon but could not give any specifics.

All leads are welcome.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-bnb-logo.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-bnb-sticker.jpeg  

Old 30th August 2020, 01:07   #4736
BHPian

Quote:
If you see my OP, the plan was to get the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors and the Polar OH1+ HRM through a friend from US who was arriving in April. But since that couldn't happen, I am looking for a placeholder device for the time being which can help with these basic stats, which still are better than nothing. The instantaneous speed readings are which I currently give importance to as I am always doing HIIT on the trainer. I am not an avid cyclist and this is just a way of cardio training which I don't detest.
Your trainer supports Zwift's zpower curve. If you can get yourself an ant+/bluetooth speed sensor plus a zwift subscription, this would be the most comprehensive solution by far.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:36   #4737
BHPian

Esteemed members,

What is opinion on the FireFox Tarmak, Origine and Surfelo bikes?

Tarmak: https://www.firefoxbikes.com/tarmak-700c/
Origine: https://www.firefoxbikes.com/firefox...0c-27spd-disc/
Surfelo: https://www.firefoxbikes.com/firefox-surfelo/

The Tarmak seems very high value what with carbon fork, Sora Groupset at just 44k. The only problem I could see was almost slick like tyres (23C); would've preferred 25C atleast.

The origine on the other hand is all-aluminium (fork also), but comes with a mix of Altus/Acera/Alivio but hydraulic brakes.

The best thing about the Surfelo is the Tiagra groupset, because I don't intend to go off-roading at all. My main riding would be on well paved roads with around 10% on not so good ones, or muddy ones (where I'll definitely slow down).

Sorry, it might be my desperation speaking but my current bike (6 speed MTB) isn't working and I really really need to get out for an hour a day to clear my head!
Old 30th August 2020, 20:24   #4738
BHPian

Since you are sticking to paved roads - choose a road bike.

Drop bars on road bikes offer you multiple riding positions vs a straight handlebar.

28C is almost the norm with protentional for higher clearance if the bike allows - incase you want to swap your slick wheels for a pair of knobbed ones when planning a rougher ride.

Instead of a Firefox, I'd much rather buy decathlon for 2 simple reasons:
1. Post sales from Decathlon is fantastic, which a local bike shop simply cannot offer.
2. 2nd sales for your Btwin Decathlon bike will always be higher.
anandbangalore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 21:15   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Sorry, it might be my desperation speaking but my current bike (6 speed MTB) isn't working and I really really need to get out for an hour a day to clear my head!
Hey, just curious, why are you not considering Triban 100 Flatbar?

Firefox store in Chandigarh has Origine, Tarmak, Spirit and Road Runner Pro - V&D

Cheers!
Old 31st August 2020, 10:43   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Since you are sticking to paved roads - choose a road bike. .................
1. Post sales from Decathlon is fantastic, which a local bike shop simply cannot offer.
2. 2nd sales for your Btwin Decathlon bike will always be higher.
I'm a bit skeptical of a pure road bike for two reasons:-
1. My back isn't in the best of the shape and I'm not sure if the direct ride of a roadie will suit me.
2. I don't really want to restrict myself to the roads (only); even though the roads in Chandigarh are very good overall, but don't want to miss out on mild trail riding on muddy roads due to the fear of spoiling my bike/components.

That's why I'm inclining more towards a Hybrid with more aggressive geometry.

Though I agree on the service quality of Decathlon, but up here in Chandigarh, BTwins/Tribans don't really enjoy much brand following. But then again, I'm not really too concerned about the resale value, if I do go for a roadie/bybrid in 40-50k range, I doubt I'll be willing to upgrade/change in the next 5 years atleast.

But, the biggest concern overall is that there are very few roadies available in the market here; Hybrids being even rarer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hey, just curious, why are you not considering Triban 100 Flatbar?

Firefox store in Chandigarh has Origine, Tarmak, Spirit and Road Runner Pro - V&D

Cheers!
Triban RC/Flatbar both have very basic gearing. Triban 100 RC doesn't even have brifters, which, to me are the bare basic necessity in a roadie. Also, none of them are currently in stock online/in-store.

I did check out the Origine at the Chandigarh FireFox store and quite liked it, but not sure whether it's worth the 43k tag. Might be visiting them again to check the Tarmak in 52 size since they currently had 54 only. My overall impression with their customer service wasn't very positive - they weren't really forthcoming with details and all, I had to ask for every small thing multiple times. I know, it's the seller's market currently, but sooner or later, interest is going to wane out and only the people with good service will be able to retain customers longer and result in repeat sales.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

Last edited by jsrakkar : 31st August 2020 at 10:50. Reason: Spelling mistakes
jsrakkar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks