Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 20:01   #4801
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
That's one heck of a roadie you've got there. Do share some pics when you are done assembling it, or does it comes fully assembled? what made you sway to this model. Thanks!
I wish.

This is what I got.
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8500015/c...et-neon-yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I think he bought the helmet only of Van Rysel brand and not the bike.
Yes, I got Van Rysel helmet.

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th September 2020 at 20:04.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 21:43   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Food for thought. More than the lack of exercise during the 6 months, it is your diet that should have caused your weight gain.
That is a great advice, thank you for that! Yes, I believe diet had a role to play in it, and I have started to remedy it now. For starters, I have cut down on sugar almost completely, and I am cutting down on carbs as well. I need to be especially careful around the sugar part, my paternal side has a family history of diabetes.

To come back to the cycle, I am enjoying it and I will post a review over the next two days. On a side note, my wife was also hooked to cycling and yesterday got herself another cycle!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:52   #4803
BHPian

Does anyone have experience with this company STEED ?
They claim to have manufactured the first chainless bicycle in India.

https://www.steedcycles.in/

Though it has a 3 speed gear, I doubt the gears would be effective due to the following
-The front crankset is fixed ( no 3 cog options )
-The rear Cassette does not appear to be large in diameter , meaning you wont benefit from lower gears (i.e. especially for climbs)
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 10:17   #4804
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Does anyone have experience with this company STEED ?
They claim to have manufactured the first chainless bicycle in India.

https://www.steedcycles.in/

Though it has a 3 speed gear, I doubt the gears would be effective due to the following
-The front crankset is fixed ( no 3 cog options )
-The rear Cassette does not appear to be large in diameter , meaning you wont benefit from lower gears (i.e. especially for climbs)
Yesterday, I test drove a single speed Steed bike for about 1 km or so. Some observations below:
1. Initial effort to get the bike moving is much higher since the shaft is quite heavy but once it is in motion, it is smooth enough. There is a certain lag between pushing the pedal and the bike moving and it was a bit strange.
2. No noise from any of the usual moving parts like chain etc. Maintenance should be minimal, but I am not sure if any other issues might prop up since shaft driven cycles are very rare.
3. It was an aluminium alloy bike, but the front was too light whereas the rear was heavy, again owing to the heavy shaft. This might not make it a good handler due to uneven weight distribution.
4. Seat was uncomfortable, maybe since it was wide and I am used to these thin road bike type seats.
5. Double walled rims from Alex was welcome but tires were from unknown brand.
6. Had V-brakes but were pretty good.
7. Held speed pretty well but being single speed, it will be a pain to drive on flyovers, inclines and all.

And when I heard the price of 27k for that model, I was just
I assumed it was a 12-15k bike and after riding it, I certainly feel it is good value at 10k but not any more. Reason from manufacturer was they are the one and only OEM that manufactures the aluminium alloy for frames in India.

It is crude at best in its current avatar and it needs a lot of improvements to make it more desirable. I got inputs from the dealer that even the 3-speed bike was useless w.r.t the gear ratios. First gear was very free and spinning a lot, middle gear was quite ok (maybe for normal commutes) and third gear was very hard, which means we will never ride at our desired cadence and power at any point of time. So, 3 gears will be of no use in this bike, I assume.

My recommendation: Do a proper test drive for longer distances and come to a conclusion before making up your mind. I personally, will get a Riverside 50 for less than 10k if I were looking at a similar bike. Or if I have 27k, I will put some extra cash and look at options from Schwinn, Scott, Giant hybrids which will be far more superior.
kat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 13:43   #4805
AZT
BHPian

My cousin has started cycling recently and enjoying it. He's currently rented one out for a month and wanted to buy one soon. Can anyone suggest options for budget geared bikes.
Old 15th September 2020, 18:13   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
My cousin has started cycling recently and enjoying it. He's currently rented one out for a month and wanted to buy one soon. Can anyone suggest options for budget geared bikes.
If its Mountain Bike (MTB) - Decathlon B-Twin 340 - 21 Gear - around Rs 12999/- - Has waiting period of 2-3 months.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:43   #4807
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
If its Mountain Bike (MTB) - Decathlon B-Twin 340 - 21 Gear - around Rs 12999/- - Has waiting period of 2-3 months.
Thanks but I think the one he has now has 7 gears and he's fine with that as it's only for riding in our area and some good slopes. Any suggestions for a less geared variant.
Old 16th September 2020, 13:51   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but I think the one he has now has 7 gears and he's fine with that as it's only for riding in our area and some good slopes. Any suggestions for a less geared variant.
This one from Decathlon Riverside 100 has 6 gears and Hybrids are easy to ride also compared to MTB, cost around Rs 7999/-

Actually starters needs higher geared Bicycles, veterans has stamina to ride without any Gear also
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:58   #4809
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
This one from Decathlon Riverside 100 has 6 gears and Hybrids are easy to ride also compared to MTB, cost around Rs 7999/-

Actually starters needs higher geared Bicycles, veterans has stamina to ride without any Gear also
Thanks for the help. Decathlon seems way in demand with no stocks online so I'll have to check their physical stores now.
Old 16th September 2020, 14:26   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Decathlon seems way in demand with no stocks online so I'll have to check their physical stores now.
Some alternatives to Decathlon cycles are Mach City iBike 7 speed (around 8k) or Mach City Munich 21 speed (around 12.5k). Also check out Roadeo series by Hercules.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 19:10   #4811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't have much hopes in stores also, Bangalore Decathlon store cycling section looks like this. Most have 2-3 months waiting period.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1.jpg  

shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:43   #4812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Missed your post completely - congratulations!
Thanks Ninjatalli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Your observations are on the dot - as I had remarked earlier, the road bike is made for a more "efficient" biker and it demands similar aspects from the rider. So you'll have to adjust/transition your body to get used to the road bike setup.

....... I'd suggest atleast a few months and some hundreds of kms (if not more) and several long rides before you can correctly identify what will work for you.
You know what? All through the process of finalising on this particular model, while taking the delivery and even during my first ride when I noticed all the "problems", I had your advice going in back of my head and I was waiting that you'll reprimand me like an elder with a "I told you so!" .
Just kidding, and this is in no way an pointer towards your age!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Your lower back, shoulders, triceps, wrists and neck will all adjust to the new position with miles in the saddle.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for all the advice ninjatalli and doc; I'll be setting up the bike correctly in the next few days and hopefully, shall see better results.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:31   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Montra Rock vs Btwin Rockrider

I have set a budget of 35k for my bike and the only options seem like Montra Rock 4.1 , Btwin Rock Rider 540 and Rockrider ST 520.

Now it should be noted that I do not have any Decathlon store near me and I will be purchasing the bike online.

I have a few questions.

In future will I be able to purchase spare parts online to maintain the bike myself or take to any other independent bike shop for repairs ?

Can normal cycle shops repair or service hydraulic brakes easily ?

Are there any other better brands with same or better features compared to the 3 bikes mentioned here ?
Old 18th September 2020, 18:53   #4814
BHPian

Guys need advice on tyre. What are options in 700x25c around 2,000 rupees? Where can I find them in Pune? I checked with Surendar Cycles, Karve road. He has only Schwalbe Lugano for 900 which does not have great reviews on the net. Others are out of stock.

Also, how beneficial it is to prefer folding tyre over non folding?
Old 18th September 2020, 20:47   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys need advice on tyre. What are options in 700x25c around 2,000 rupees? Where can I find them in Pune? I checked with Surendar Cycles, Karve road. He has only Schwalbe Lugano for 900 which does not have great reviews on the net. Others are out of stock.

Also, how beneficial it is to prefer folding tyre over non folding?
Why don't you try out the current hot budget favourite of roadie riders for a sturdy and very cheap training tyre with a puncture protection layer to boot?

It's Adolf for 699 per tyre. The trick is finding them coz they always get sold out quickly. Understandably at the price.

Vittoria Zaffiro IV. Wire bead. The Zaffiro Pro is folding. More pricey.

Try wizbiker.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks