Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 11:17   #5056
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Any recommendations on a bicycle for my 9 year old daughter?

She has never ridden one before. She has outgrown her earlier bike without riding it for a cumulative of 10 hours. So we hope to teach her on this new bike - it will need to have balancing wheels to begin with.
Old 14th December 2020, 11:33   #5057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Any recommendations on a bicycle for my 9 year old daughter?

She has never ridden one before. She has outgrown her earlier bike without riding it for a cumulative of 10 hours. So we hope to teach her on this new bike - it will need to have balancing wheels to begin with.
At this age Eddy I suggest a small size MTB with a low seat geometry. Else she might outgrow a kids bike within a year or so. My daughter is also 9 and comfortably moved up to a ST520 (Decathlon) Small frame from her kids bike.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:34   #5058
BHPian

I was looking for a bike for my 11 year old son and also which I can drive occasionally. Visited both Hero and Hercules showrooms in T. Nagar and checked out various models.

Finally did purchase Hero Sprint Howler 27.5 Frame non-geared one with double disk and front suspension for Rs.10990. This is the link to vBrake one, but I did purchase diskbrake version. This model has slanting bar so it can be used by 11 year old at lowest position. Seat height adjustment is awesome, its easy to adjust & length of play is good. I went for a long ride yesterday and found it very comfortable.
Old 14th December 2020, 14:20   #5059
BHPian

Sharing a couple of links for kids to learn balance without using the training wheels. My son picked up balance in an hour of practice.

It says 5 minutes but definitely worth learning this way

sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 15:43   #5060

Hi Guys, first of all thanks for all the wonderful learning I get everytime I log on to the forum- it's quite amazing!

I need some help from you on two fronts- what is a good bag to buy for my bike (riverside 900). Don't want too big a bag, just something to carry maybe my house keys, phone etc.

Also, I currently cycle about 15 km daily; I want to increase this to be able to take longer rides (maybe 100-150 km). How do I get from here to there? Should I gradually increase my distances? Is there anything I should watch out for? All inputs and help are most welcome!

thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:00   #5061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
At this age Eddy I suggest a small size MTB with a low seat geometry. Else she might outgrow a kids bike within a year or so. My daughter is also 9 and comfortably moved up to a ST520 (Decathlon) Small frame from her kids bike.
Thanks. Something like this - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8603864/m...-white-26-inch ?

Otherwise, even if she outgrows it soon - I am ok with bearing that financial loss. Primary objective right now is to make her learn to ride. She really wants to but is scared of failure and falls.

And it's not only balance, she also needs to learn to turn, brake etc. So I was thinking of letting her ride with training wheels for some time and then introduce the concept of balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
It says 5 minutes but definitely worth learning this way
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mOlQg5THqhE
This is like too good to be true.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th December 2020 at 17:05.
Old 14th December 2020, 17:09   #5062
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Something like this - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8603864/m...-white-26-inch ?

And it's not only balance, she also needs to learn to turn, brake etc. So I was thinking of letting her ride with training wheels for some time and then introduce the concept of balance.

I missed to mention - my son was 9 at the time when I came across this and it was a bet with my wife who said it would take 6 months with trainer wheels. (Turn brake etc. all come with the balance) if you start with trainer wheels it is not easy to get off from them.

Me and son did it in an hour. Some more practice and he was riding on his own by end of the day. Have shared this with many friends and all their kids learnt in a short time as well.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:37   #5063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
I need some help from you on two fronts- what is a good bag to buy for my bike (riverside 900). Don't want too big a bag, just something to carry maybe my house keys, phone etc.
3 choices are there in decathlon
1. Frame bag : https://www.decathlon.in/p/8349734/s...e-bag-2l-black
2. Saddle Bags :
a. https://www.decathlon.in/p/8355079/a...25-l-900-black
b. https://www.decathlon.in/p/8354448/a...ag-m-06l-black

Quote:
I currently cycle about 15 km daily; I want to increase this to be able to take longer rides (maybe 100-150 km)
increase the cycling distance slowly . Long distance cycling is all about getting used to saddle for long hours . Long Distance Cycling with clock running is another ball game where you need to practice on keeping steady cadence. some tips
1. increase the distance slowly in daily rides to 25-40 km
2. try for long distance 75 - 100 km on Saturday's (assuming you want to take part in BRM's) and take a break next day
3. basic core body exercises

note: Am not a professional cycling expert and this is what i had done for my first BRM preparation

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th December 2020 at 19:40.
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:46   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Otherwise, even if she outgrows it soon - I am ok with bearing that financial loss. Primary objective right now is to make her learn to ride. She really wants to but is scared of failure and falls.

The ST100 rather is what I would suggest. It allows for lower seat heights (than the white 26 inch that you referenced) and that allows a newbie rider to paddle comfortably and with confidence, like in the video shown above. My daughter also learned cycling using this paddling technique in a day's time and is now itching to join me on my longer rides on roads (no way for now). Plus the higher upfront cost will pay itself back since you shouldn't need to buy another cycle for at least 6-7 years.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:15   #5065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also, I currently cycle about 15 km daily; I want to increase this to be able to take longer rides (maybe 100-150 km). How do I get from here to there? Should I gradually increase my distances? Is there anything I should watch out for? All inputs and help are most welcome!

thanks
Adding to what @greyhound suggested.

1. Join local cycling groups. It helps to have company when extending towards +50s and then +100, atleast for the first few rides.
2. Do it in blocks. My wife is on this recently only - moved from sub 20-kms to sub-50 kms. Now a 50 km trip doesn't worry her. She's looking at 70-80 km next. The target is do a 100 km ride by end of Jan'21.
3. Check your cycle for unnecessary baggage. Bulky tires, replace them with thinner and slimmer options. Check your riding/seat position at a good bike shop. Full air pressure, greased components, riding pants, etc - all improvements aid a lot.
4. While a 100+ km ride can be done on an old school bulky MTB, I'd suggest planning for a better cycle (hybrid or road bike) once you get to upwards of 70 kms. Of course this is not mandatory.

Edit: just noticed your bike brand - that's good enough (ignore pt4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post

some tips
1. increase the distance slowly in daily rides to 25-40 km
2. try for long distance 75 - 100 km on Saturday's (assuming you want to take part in BRM's) and take a break next day
3. basic core body exercises
+1

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th December 2020 at 10:17.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:54   #5066
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20201215132844.png

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20201107110817.png

The Bicycles thread-img_20201030_071435.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201030_071504.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201030_071550.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20201209wa0021.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20201209wa0019.jpg

These are the photos of helmets of real life cyclists who crashed recently.

Some of these were high speed crashes. Some were over the bar launches. Some were rear-ends by a 4 wheeler.

Whatever the cause, the effect was the same in all cases. The helmet was totally destroyed. The riders were all saved. And are all back on the road riding within a month of their crashes.

Translation: Their helmets performed brilliantly. And did exactly what they were built for.

Cycling is a risky sport. On our roads. On any public road.

You invest in a good helmet and pay the price for that one time in 3-5 years (the recommended life of a cycling helmet per all the top manufacturers, after which they must be replaced, regardless of the outward condition they seem to be in) when it sacrifices itself for your head.

Wear a helmet. Wear a good expensive helmet ... preferably one with the international EN1078 rating. Never ride without a helmet. Do not skimp on a helmet.

Even a entry level bike from a decent brand costs 20k nowadays.

2.5-3k is the bare minimum you would pay for an in-mould construction helmet (where the outer hard shell is moulded to the inner EPS layer and not simply stuck together) with EN1078 rating.

The good names in no particular order are Kask, Giro, Abus, Lazer, Specialized, Scott, Merida, Bell, Gist, POC, MET, Oakley, and on a budget, even the Van Rysel RoadR 500 and 900 helmets from Decathlon (both are in-mold and conform to EN1078 ... the first photo is on the RoadR 900 aero helmet).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th December 2020 at 14:11.
ebonho is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:27   #5067
BANNED

@Doc, Decathlon seems to have both MTB and road helmets. What is the difference?

And some brands say "one size fits all" and I'm not convinced. But some high end cycling stores advertise them. If they are all right, I can buy online. Hence the question. What to do?

Can somebody provide some feed back on Decathlon's 500 floor pump or suggest alternatives? I'm preferring one with a pressure gauge. Dont see a reason to buy a hand pump / mini pump right now. As a 2nd pump to carry on the bike, they seem ok, but are these useful as a main source?

Desired pressure is < 65 psi. (Hybrid tyres).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I missed to mention - my son was 9 at the time when I came across this and it was a bet with my wife who
.... Have shared this with many friends and all their kids learnt in a short time as well.
Somebody here used that video. After a few of watching her struggling, I "hijacked" the YouTube playlist while she was watching, added that video and went for a break. In learning took some time. So in about 2 hours of saddle time spread over a couple of weeks, things worked out.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 15th December 2020 at 14:43.
Old 15th December 2020, 14:56   #5068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@Doc, Decathlon seems to have both MTB and road helmets. What is the difference?
MTB helmets are not as aero as road helmets. They are also vented a bit more coz on an MTB and off-road you do not go as fast as on a road and hence the air flow through the helmet is less. The inside of a helmet has channels that help the airflow and ventilation with exhaust ports at the rear of the helmet. The real aero helmets for TT's have usually just a central front vent (or two, one on each side) with a single exhaust port (one one on either side, keeping the rest of the helmet smooth and unbroken).

Also MTB helmets have a detachable visor that's built to keep low branches and rain out of your eyes, and provide a bit of shade as well. Of course they add significantly to drag, and you have hybrid dual-purpose helmets (like the brilliant black and blue Decathlon one in the photos above - the Rockrider XC 7 ... photo attached below) which become pretty aero when you remove the visor for road use.

The Bicycles thread-big_66590836.jpg

Also road helmets fit around the central part of the forehead in such a way as to not block the view of the road when you are leaned low in the drops of your road bike. Try doing that with a MTB helmet (especially with the visor still attached) and you will very quickly develop massive strain in your traps and neck muscles from cranking your head up to see. MTB helmets are also a bit heavier than road helmets.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. On your pump query, all serious cyclists must have a floor pump with a gauge to top up air at home before a ride (I do it before every ride) as well as a portable frame pump to inflate your tyres after repairing your puncture (or replacing your tube) mid ride. Its not an either or situation.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th December 2020 at 15:07.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 15:12   #5069
BHPian

BHPians, would you be kind enough to help me with a bicycle carrier for my 2010 Innova? I know we have a separate thread on the same, but posting my query here since I need immediate assistance since this one is an active thread. Yet if our moderators think it appropriate, they may please move it to the apt thread.

We need to transport my bicycle:
Attachment 2089550

You might say that it can easily fit in our Innova’s boot. It does. But, the problem is, it is not the ONLY thing we are carrying. There is way too much of luggage to fit it in one piece.

Now we set out to look for a bicycle carrier. The best, solidly built, VFM and very popular bicycle carrier which comes to mind is the Btwin one. Here, the next problem that came is it being out of stock almost everywhere, online as well as in store.

I read some good mentions about Thule but they are too expensive. I have a budget cap of 5k, at the most 6k. Seems like there is a limited number of options. Can you guys help?

It should attach to an Innova, should be under the budget and should be well built, carrying atleast two bikes.

Alternatively please point me out to any post or thread which explains how to easily fit a bicycle in a boot. Also inform me about all the tools that I would need to dismantle the wheels etc. and you must also note that while I can get it dismantled back home in Mumbai, I won’t be able to find anyone else to re-assemble it when I’m here.

Thanks!
EightSix

Last edited by EightSix : 15th December 2020 at 15:14.
Old 15th December 2020, 19:17   #5070
BHPian

I started 4 months ago using MTB (Montra Rock 1.0) for weight loss and have reached distances of 50+ Km at an average of 20 Kmph. Now while cycling I see people overtaking me in their road cycles and have the urge to ride faster. What is a better upgrade for me at less than 20K ? Dont mind picking up good used cycle as well. Not sure where to find them. Olx has few options but overpriced I feel. I am from Bangalore.
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed