Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 20:59   #5071
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
What is a better upgrade for me at less than 20K ?
You won't get a new road bike in under 20k. Olx or bumsonthesaddle classifieds might have few used options but you may or may not find your size.

You can try going for a hybrid. There would be improvement in average speed compared MTB but you still might get the same itch to go for a roadbike, again few months down the line.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 21:30   #5072
BHPian

Quote:
What is a better upgrade for me at less than 20K ?
Speed depends on multiple parameters like weight of the cycle , fork, geometry, combination of crankset and cassette , muscle strength and good cadence .

A good light weight alloy frame road/ hybrid bike with good geometry and entry level components will cost anywhere around 30k . With the MTB itself you can have an average of around 25-27. Following are the changes you can do for MTB
1. Change the tyre to slicks (700x 35c , 700 x32c )
2. Try to reduce the cycle weight by remove components like side stand and all
3. If suspension is lockable try to lock it
4. Muscle strength and Endurance training

PS: when I was in Navi Mumbai there was a man around 50+ who will surpass me in his “doodwala “ cycle on palm beach road on my daily rides . He might be doing close to 30
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 21:54   #5073
BANNED

Quote:
I started 4 months ago using MTB (Montra Rock 1.0) for weight loss and have reached distances of 50+ Km at an average of 20 Kmph. Now while cycling I see people overtaking me in their road cycles and have the urge to ride faster. What is a better upgrade for me at less than 20K ?
Triban RC 100 from Decathlon. At 11 kg, it is ₹ 23k and is sold online only. The "flat bar" version is a wee bit below ₹ 20k. Do scroll back past 3 months posts on this thread. You'll need to check 2 times a day for availablity though.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 22:41   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
3. If suspension is lockable try to lock it
I drive an MTB too and it has a lockout function as well. Could you please explain how it may improve speed? I am not after achieving higher speeds but I am exhausted after long rides. I admit I started going greater than my daily commute (~6-7km) only since October and over time I'll develop stamina. But could this improve my situation atleast temporarily? I've tried it a few times, however haven't used it for longer durations as the roads were uneven.

Thank you in advance!
Old 16th December 2020, 08:25   #5075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
I drive an MTB too and it has a lockout function as well. Could you please explain how it may improve speed? I am not after achieving higher speeds but I am exhausted after long rides. I admit I started going greater than my daily commute (~6-7km) only since October and over time I'll develop stamina. But could this improve my situation atleast temporarily? I've tried it a few times, however haven't used it for longer durations as the roads were uneven.
Exhaustion is more a function of general fitness. I assume you use proper pressure in tyres and the seats are positioned to suit your body. "Bike Fitting" is the term. A YouTube video from GCN channel on this was posted by the Doc a few pages back. Huffing and puffing is not exhaustion. Just learn to keep your breathing in control. Inhale and hold for a moment to allow the oxygen to be absorbed.

Next, measure your rides. If you have a smart phone, install Google Fit or similar apps, which will give you an indication of speed and distance. Even elevation.

Let's see after this.
Old 16th December 2020, 10:14   #5076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Exhaustion is more a function of general fitness. I assume you use proper pressure in tyres and the seats are positioned to suit your body. "Bike Fitting" is the term. A YouTube video from GCN channel on this was posted by the Doc a few pages back. Huffing and puffing is not exhaustion. Just learn to keep your breathing in control. Inhale and hold for a moment to allow the oxygen to be absorbed.
Next, measure your rides. If you have a smart phone, install Google Fit or similar apps, which will give you an indication of speed and distance. Even elevation.
Let's see after this.
Thanks for replying. Yes by exhaustion I did mean huffing and puffing and most of it is on steep inclines. My bike is on proper pressure and I've adjusted the seat according to my body.

I do measure my rides. I use an app called Zeopoxa Cycling. It is a really good tracker that works primarily on Google Maps and location. Doesn't require a smartwatch/physical tracker. Attaching a few screenshots from my rides below. I have a rather fixed route with minor changes and shortcuts I'm experimenting with.

The Bicycles thread-1608093641355.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1608093598102.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1608093561032.jpg
Old 16th December 2020, 11:10   #5077
BANNED

Dude, you look like a superman. 250m+ elevation (loss + gain), 11 odd km, 18+ km per hr speed, and you expect to be cool as a cucumber? Huh!! Really?

If the app is accurate, that issomething people will die for. Hope the bike has gears too. If not, you are a champ.

You are looking to build up stamina aka endurance. That is a topic covered frequently here, and as pointed in recent posts (by others), you seem to be at limits of an MTB. Rather, you have surpassed them.
Old 16th December 2020, 13:38   #5078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do measure my rides. I use an app called Zeopoxa Cycling.
Why don't you use Strava? Its what most cyclists the world over are using. This one is giving you a readout typical for a runner in terms of pace (time per km).

Most healthy adults are easily able to cycle 20-25 odd kilometers without any prior training whatsoever. Typical couch to 20k style.

So my suggestion would be to at least do a regular loop that's an hour long. Running can give you benefits inside 30 minutes. For cycling which is a gentler aerobic exercise, you need at least an hour to reap some gains.

Typically in the early days, choose a road you like (you live close to Chandani Chowk, Bavdhan, so you are anyways at the central hub of all the nice cycling roads in Poona).

Then ride out on that road for half an hour, then wherever you have reached, turn around and cycle back home.

Adjust that loop per your likes and preferences and do that regularly for a week or two. You will find that you are beginning to complete it most days in less time.

After a couple of weeks you can experiment with different loops, or go longer on the same one.

Either way, whichever route you take to reach the base of the Chandani Chowk climb, its going to be a good workout for your legs. The return will be equally fast and enjoyable.

Your current loop, if you are doing it anti-clockwise, make it tougher by doing it clockwise and climbing UP from Warje side instead of descending down to it.

To extend this loop another 9 kilometers to get a round figure of 20, climb up to Chandani Chowk, ride to Pashan circle, and ride back.

Quote:
Dude, you look like a superman. 250m+ elevation (loss + gain), 11 odd km, 18+ km per hr speed, and you expect to be cool as a cucumber? Huh!! Really?

If the app is accurate, that issomething people will die for. Hope the bike has gears too. If not, you are a champ.
That is very normal for any route in Poona, which is hilly and rolling all over. To get a really flat road, you need to go to Solapur road. In comparison, the Strava feeds of friends in Delhi, Bombay and Chennai are like ruler flat with little pimples (usually flyovers). Lol

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th December 2020 at 13:49.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 14:32   #5079
BHPian

Quote:
And you expect to be cool as a cucumber? Huh!! Really?
If the app is accurate, that is something people will die for. Hope the bike has gears too. If not, you are a champ.
You are looking to build up stamina aka endurance. That is a topic covered frequently here, and as pointed in recent posts (by others), you seem to be at limits of an MTB. Rather, you have surpassed them.
As ebonho explained the elevation gain/loss is very common around Pune. You simply cannot find a flat road. Also it seems I overexpected some things, I should've known, my bad . Another thing that I should've clarified, is that I haven't started cycling in October, but started cycling as a hobby since October.

As for the tracker, It isn't perfect for sure and the elevation loss as well as gain doesn't count bridges or man-made elevations, but it takes data from the altitude measurements of Google map. Those living in Pune will know, the climb upto Chandni Chowk is one heck of a climb, but the ony reason to climb it is to experience that b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l slope on the way down, simply letting go of the brakes and feel ing the wind is exhilarating to say the least. (Which would explain my higher avg. speeds)

As for my cycle, it does have gears however it seems to be lighter than other MTBs even though it cost the same. My younger brother's 26" bicycle from the same company is heavier than my 29" ride. I have no clue why. However I cannot switch it for now as it is my primary means of transport to college and classes and it has been used and abused like no other. Getting a Hybrid or Roadbike would leave a burden on my head everytime I leave it in various parking lots. Also, as ebonho mentioned I think I'll use other trackers just to get a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why don't you use Strava? Its what most cyclists the world over are using. This one is giving you a readout typical for a runner in terms of pace (time per km).
I'll try it tomorrow itself!
Quote:
Most healthy adults are easily able to cycle 20-25 odd kilometers without any prior training whatsoever. Typical couch to 20k style.
So my suggestion would be to at least do a regular loop that's an hour long. Running can give you benefits inside 30 minutes. For cycling which is a gentler aerobic exercise, you need at least an hour to reap some gains.
Typically in the early days, choose a road you like (you live close to Chandani Chowk, Bavdhan, so you are anyways at the central hub of all the nice cycling roads in Poona).
Then ride out on that road for half an hour, then wherever you have reached, turn around and cycle back home.
Adjust that loop per your likes and preferences and do that regularly for a week or two. You will find that you are beginning to complete it most days in less time.
After a couple of weeks you can experiment with different loops, or go longer on the same one.
Either way, whichever route you take to reach the base of the Chandani Chowk climb, its going to be a good workout for your legs. The return will be equally fast and enjoyable.
Cheers, Doc
Thanks a lot Doc! I have been doing that loop in the anticlockwise sense and have switched to clockwise a few times. I'll keep alternating it. I'll also try making it to Pashan Circle. As you mentioned I do live near Chandni Chowk, however I do not know of the routes you are talking about. It would be great if you could PM me some more routes!
superguy282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 15:25   #5080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you mentioned I do live near Chandni Chowk, however I do not know of the routes you are talking about. It would be great if you could PM me some more routes!
No problem buddy. Just join Strava and start following cyclists in Poona. You can see the routes they do from the daily feeds you get. And then design your own.

On the other side of the Chandani Chowk flyover is the bypass that goes all the way to Dehu phata. Around 23 km. Very popular with most road cyclists for their daily workouts.

You have options to turn around at Sus, then Baner, then Wakad, then Ravet or the Expressway exit, and finally the turnaround at Dehu.

If you go left from there you hit Somatane, Talegaon, Vadgaon, and Lonavala.

If you go right from there you head on the old Bombay Pune highway to Nigdi (Bhakti Shakti Chowk) and then Chinchwad, Pimpri, Nashik Phata, and Wakdewadi towards COEP.

At Chandani Chowk itself you can go left towards NDA, right towards Pashan, and straight on towards Mulshi and Tamhini.

Left on that road after Pirangut ghat is the road towards Lavasa.

If you go down Warje you will head towards Bangalore, and that too is a popular training route for cyclists, the loop ending usually at the New Katraj Tunnel.

These are a lot of routes for you to explore for a start. Start building up the distance. You seem to be a student. What are you doing cycling 11 km man?!!!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th December 2020 at 15:46.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:34   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No problem buddy. Just join Strava and start following cyclists in Poona.
----------------------
You can see the routes they do from the daily feeds you get. And then design your own.
These are a lot of routes for you to explore for a start. Start building up the distance. You seem to be a student. What are you doing cycling 11 km man?!!!
Cheers, Doc
I cannot thank you enough! I am currently in 12th, and it wasn't long ago that a mere 6 km were enough for my cycling needs for the day , that and the fact that I'm slightly bigger(diametrically) than the average bloke has made me go easy with the distances . I will surely ramp it up!
superguy282 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 19:01   #5082
BANNED

What do gurus think of this "chromoly" frame material? Some digging shows it is chromium + molybdenum alloy of steel, allowing for thinner, hence lighter and more resilient frames. But only niche brands are offering it. Why haven't the more popular brands adopted this?

Quote:
As for my cycle, it does have gears however it seems to be lighter than other MTBs even though it cost the same. My younger brother's 26" bicycle from the same company is heavier than my 29" ride. I have no clue why.
Maybe, being a more expensive model, the frame is made of alloy or light weight material.

The less expensive 26er has sterl frame. Just guessing. Example is Rockrider series. ST 20 come in steel frame, ST 50, 100 and higher are aluminium / alloy frames.
Old 16th December 2020, 20:03   #5083
BHPian

I connected with a couple of folks on TBHP who are into cycling and on Strava - can we join up together here https://www.strava.com/clubs/802688
Old 16th December 2020, 22:39   #5084
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I connected with a couple of folks on TBHP who are into cycling and on Strava - can we join up together here https://www.strava.com/clubs/802688
There is also a wider more generic Team BHP club at the link below.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/133157?oq=bhp

Perhaps best to grow and consolidate that wider community to include all runners and cyclists alike rather than split up the already small community into two groups. Don't have a strong view either way but just a suggestion.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th December 2020 at 23:07.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 09:35   #5085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
There is also a wider more generic Team BHP club at the link below.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/133157?oq=bhp

Perhaps best to grow and consolidate that wider community to include all runners and cyclists alike rather than split up the already small community into two groups. Don't have a strong view either way but just a suggestion.
Cool - didn't know there was one. Have joined this one and deleted the new club.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks