Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 00:13   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
My budget is around Rs. 8000/- What good bikes are available in this price range.
You haven't said what you intend to use the bike for: daily commute, weekend rides, or offroad/trails? At your budget the Hercules ACT 110s is a good buy. If you can spend an additional 2K, consider the (all-aluminum) ACT 110. Both of these are geared hybrid bikes, which means they are great for city roads as well as occasional rough patches. As far as I know the ACT 110/110s is available in only one size (18") -- so your height should ideally be 5'9" or 5'10". It won't suit you if you're under 5'7" or over 6' tall. In the Hero range the simple Mach is still your best bet.

Avoid a bike with rear suspension -- it may look cool but it only adds weight and hampers efficient pedalling. Even the front suspension is not strictly required unless you ride trails. Where in Bombay do you live? I could suggest some shops that you could visit before you decide on the right bike for you.
Old 7th June 2010, 08:24   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,
I too plan to join the Bicycle gang.
Earlier had a Hero Devil in Red Lazer paint. That was about 6 years ago. It was stolen from my building and then didn't get the chance to buy one.

Now I plan to get a new one for me and need your suggestions for it.
My budget is around Rs. 8000/-
What good bikes are available in this price range.

I had a look at Hero cycles website and found the Octane Recra and Spear models very attractive. What would be their costs?
Thanks in advance.
Congrats on a major positive step

8-10k - you can pick up some entry level Hercules ACT Ryders, B'Twins in that price range - they're decent bikes for rides upto 25-30 kms. The ACT Ryder 110 is at 11k, and a Schwinn hybrid at 12k, and these are very good bikes for the city.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:43   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,
I too plan to join the Bicycle gang.
Earlier had a Hero Devil in Red Lazer paint. That was about 6 years ago. It was stolen from my building and then didn't get the chance to buy one.

Now I plan to get a new one for me and need your suggestions for it.
My budget is around Rs. 8000/-
What good bikes are available in this price range.

I had a look at Hero cycles website and found the Octane Recra and Spear models very attractive. What would be their costs?
Thanks in advance.
SRK : Friend just bought a cycle few weeks back. Attaching the picture for your referrence. It costed him around 5-6k i think this should solve your purpose.

Its a straight Handle cycle.

Got it from Bandra, the cycle shop is in the lane next to lucky. he does have some good ones. check it out, the owner is very very patient man.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-fomas-sports.jpg  

Old 7th June 2010, 17:41   #499
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
You haven't said what you intend to use the bike for: daily commute, weekend rides, or offroad/trails? At your budget the Hercules ACT 110s is a good buy. If you can spend an additional 2K, consider the (all-aluminum) ACT 110. Both of these are geared hybrid bikes, which means they are great for city roads as well as occasional rough patches. As far as I know the ACT 110/110s is available in only one size (18") -- so your height should ideally be 5'9" or 5'10". It won't suit you if you're under 5'7" or over 6' tall. In the Hero range the simple Mach is still your best bet.

Avoid a bike with rear suspension -- it may look cool but it only adds weight and hampers efficient pedalling. Even the front suspension is not strictly required unless you ride trails. Where in Bombay do you live? I could suggest some shops that you could visit before you decide on the right bike for you.
Thank you for the suggestion.
The purpose of this bike will be just for fun and exploration. No serious off-roading or racing.
My height is around 5'5" and I am pretty light weight too. (So would like the bike to be lighter.)

Even I am thinking of going for a rigid suspension bike. It will save weight and at the same time some money too.
I stay at Bandra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Congrats on a major positive step

8-10k - you can pick up some entry level Hercules ACT Ryders, B'Twins in that price range - they're decent bikes for rides upto 25-30 kms. The ACT Ryder 110 is at 11k, and a Schwinn hybrid at 12k, and these are very good bikes for the city.
Thanks,
Hercules ACT Ryders seems to be a good buy. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
SRK : Friend just bought a cycle few weeks back. Attaching the picture for your referrence. It costed him around 5-6k i think this should solve your purpose.

Its a straight Handle cycle.

Got it from Bandra, the cycle shop is in the lane next to lucky. he does have some good ones. check it out, the owner is very very patient man.
Thanks Sohail,
This bike seems to be quite nice.
I have seen quite a few Fomas cycles being used.
I think that shop is/was "Kohinoor Cycle Store" I got my Hero Devil DX from there.
I think he is also the dealer for "FireFox" cycles.
Will check out the store after my exams.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:15   #500
BHPian

The Fomas has some good reviews. Check it out. Since you're in Bandra it should be convenient.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:00   #501
Senior - BHPian

Cycling is coming of age in India!

Here's an update of a guy who deserves our support: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/r ... Year_ID=33

The RAAM is one of the toughest endurance rides in the world, and just qualifying for it is a feat - Samim did 700kms in 23hrs to qualify! Its even more inspiring since he's 44 and the father of 2 - a stage where most of us begin to consider ourselves "old" and take things easy. All the best to Samim, and while he's already put India on the map, hope he does awesomely well at the RAAM.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:25   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Cycling is coming of age in India!

Here's an update of a guy who deserves our support: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/r ... Year_ID=33

The RAAM is one of the toughest endurance rides in the world, and just qualifying for it is a feat - Samim did 700kms in 23hrs to qualify! Its even more inspiring since he's 44 and the father of 2 - a stage where most of us begin to consider ourselves "old" and take things easy. All the best to Samim, and while he's already put India on the map, hope he does awesomely well at the RAAM.
Awesome, hats off to him for his efforts.
Corrected the link, RAMM-Samim. For live updates for his progress during race, click here
Old 27th June 2010, 12:49   #503
Senior - BHPian

The recent fuel price deregulation is another reason to pick a bike up. Keep the driving for the >10km distances, out of city trips etc. For anything within that, cycling is a great, quick, cheap option when alone. Fuel costs are bound to go northwards, and it makes sense to save whatever we can for those times when we really need it/can enjoy it. Sub 20kmph crawls are no fun in cars/motorbikes, but awesome on cycles
Old 8th July 2010, 21:26   #504
Senior - BHPian

I think it could be my first post here. I have been bitten by the 'cycle bug' since few days as couple of my neighbors started cycling every morning as part of fitness 'mantra'. I am anyway out of gym since an year due to several reasons and was planning to restart my fitness routine at the earliest. Last payment I made to my gym was 12k for an annual package and I couldn't even complete 7 months on a daily basis. Cost of driving to gym would be another 2k roughly. So cycling has come to a serious consideration due to its advantages.

Naturally the budget for a cycle would be equal to my annual gym fee/cost (it was chosing between gym or cycle until yesterday, now its more like cycling as my wifee also could use it gradually). And moreover its a one-time investment for health.

Reading through some international forums and cycle manufacturer sites, I came to the following conclusions; I need a cylce in the Hybrid, Medium category (I am 172 cms). I should be ok with a 5 to 7 gear type. Finally I could pin point some brands that would fall within my budget and specification. They are (not listed in preference mode nor all of them fall in the hybrid group);

1) Schwinn Sporterra (around 13.5k), 7 speed
2) BSA Ryders ACT 110 - around 10.5k, not sure of the gears
3) BTwin 3 from decathlon (around 11k), not sure of the gears
4) Rockrider 5.0 from decathlon (around 10k) not sure of the gears

RR cycles, Yeshwantpur is nearest to my house in Bangalore. I think they deal with BSA and imported brands. Any suggestions, tips, info about other similar segment brands or products really appreciated. Hope to buy one by next week. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:57   #505
Senior - BHPian

Oh what a sleeping thread this is !!! I think all the bikers are gone on trails !!

Anyway, I got a SCHWINN Frontier Sport mountain bike (white) with 21 gears for 12k from RR Cycles, Yeshwantpur. Added side stand, reflectors, mud guards and a decathlon coil cable lock. Waiting for a digital trip meter, bell and bottle holder. Here is a company pic of the same.
Name:  schwinn.jpg
Views: 20383
Size:  45.5 KB
Old 11th July 2010, 14:52   #506
BANNED

Quote:
Oh what a sleeping thread this is !
LOL - its a car forum, what do you expect.

Congrats on getting into biking. You might want to join this forum now.

BikesZone - Cycling • Index page
Old 11th July 2010, 15:57   #507
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Deepakji,
Although its an automobile forum, we have many subjects that are discussed as hot cakes like photography, music, imaging, health insurance, body building, travels even 'how to write in proper english' ! I am already a new member in the bikerzone, need to dig out and find out members around my area.
Old 11th July 2010, 18:19   #508
BANNED

^^^ was said in a lighter vein :-)
Old 11th July 2010, 19:53   #509
Senior - BHPian

Hey doc,

Good to see you here.

Its great that the cycling discussions stay on BZ. Ginormous guads fit no where else
Old 11th July 2010, 20:03   #510
Senior - BHPian

Well, well. Everyone we know is here! Lets upgrade the folks at TBhp to ride more gears

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks