Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 12:04   #5086
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Got back into cycling for the first time since childhood and picked up a Mach City ibike for 8k. Got back on the saddle and was able to ride straight away. I guess it’s true what they say, you never forget how to ride a bike. Just a few questions:

1. When I was younger, I was always told to use the rear brake only, as the front brake can cause you to go over the bars. But I find the rear brake insufficient as compared to the front. Is there any way to learn brake modulation and proper technique?

2. I find the seat to be a bit uncomfortable, or maybe that’s because I’m not used to it. Should I buy a cushioned seat cover?

3. How to handle speed breakers? In my housing society there are way too many of them and I either have to slow down to a crawl or go over at speed to maintain momentum, but that causes a strain. Is there a proper way to go over them comfortably?

4. I’ve got mudguards, lock and a bell installed. Are there any other accessories you recommend?

5. My normal exercise routine is walking 7 days a week and lifting weights three days, yet I found myself exhausted with just 15 minutes cycling. Wondering if there is too much friction with the cycle or whether my aerobic stamina is lacking?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-2c08559e9ff3457596ab9be7ef2db407.jpeg  

avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:17   #5087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Got back into cycling for the first time since childhood and picked up a Mach City ibike for 8k.
Hi, if you bought this online, could you share the link please? I have not been able to find any Mach City bike (specifically this one) either online or in brick and mortar stores here in Pune.
Old 18th December 2020, 12:21   #5088
BHPian

I bought it at a local store in Bangalore. The owner said cycle stocks are low these days due to high demand. My original choice was the Btwin mybike but it wasn't available at any of the decathlons near me.

Last edited by avi550m : 18th December 2020 at 12:48.
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:32   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
1. When I was younger, I was always told to use the rear brake only, as the front brake can cause you to go over the bars. But I find the rear brake insufficient as compared to the front. Is there any way to learn brake modulation and proper technique?
It is more of feel than technique in my opinion. I apply the brakes evenly and increase the force in a gradual manner. You can tell when the cycle will skid/go over the bar after which you can modulate it easily.

Quote:
2. I find the seat to be a bit uncomfortable
You could try this, However I'd say give it week/month and if you still have a problem with it then get a cushion cover.

Quote:
3. How to handle speed breakers? In my housing society there are way too many of them and I either have to slow down to a crawl or go over at speed to maintain momentum, but that causes a strain. Is there a proper way to go over them comfortably?
I'm not sure if this is the proper way, but I simply stand up without braking and let arms and legs absorb the shock.

Quote:
4. I’ve got mudguards, lock and a bell installed. Are there any other accessories you recommend?
Depends on your use case. A carry bag/water bottle holder will help in long distances. Lights would help if you cycle at night.

Quote:
5. My normal exercise routine is walking 7 days a week and lifting weights three days, yet I found myself exhausted with just 15 minutes cycling. Wondering if there is too much friction with the cycle or whether my aerobic stamina is lacking?
You are already exercising more than I do . As I said with the seat cover, get used to the bicycle and you'll feel fine. Especially since you've started cycling after so long.
superguy282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 16:00   #5090
BANNED

Quote:

2. I find the seat to be a bit uncomfortable, or maybe that’s because I’m not used to it.

Comfort - see these videos -

Accessories? Helmet!!!

Other queries are answered in this thread. Please go through a few pages.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th December 2020 at 16:07.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 15:12   #5091
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Back with a New Video on a very Unique & Interesting Cycle.
Avon Speed is a Road Bike, Which is unique in current times. Since, these kind of bikes are not in Production anymore from this manufacturer.

I believe Hero still manufactures a Road Bike like this. If i am not wrong it is called as Hero Hawk Nu-Age.
But None, could i find from Avon. They do have an SLR listed on their Site.

In our Quest to find something unique, we came across this cycle at a Cycle Dealership.

The Video Captures the Avon Speed as a Godown Find from a Bicycle Dealer who had this bike in stock in their Godown and they forgot for good 5-6 years that the bike is lying up there.
One fine day this dealer found 3 of such bikes (1-BSA & 2-AVON) lying in the Godown, He brought it to the showroom and displayed for sale.

We reviewed this bike, Since, these bikes are rarely seen nowadays. You Guys enjoy the Video detailed review & trivia around the cycle

Link to the Video:
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 18:48   #5092
BHPian

Merida has been making e-bikes for some time now but they have just launched new pedal assist versions of their Speeder (flat bar), Scultura (road) and Silex (gravel) bikes. I really like how they have accommodated the battery on the down tube while still managing to retain the look like a regular bike.

Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-scultura400.png  

Old 20th December 2020, 20:51   #5093
Senior - BHPian

Glad to share this with you all. Attend by first no contact - ITT (Bicycle racing) event today. Came 4th in non-aero category at avg speed of 38.6 kmph for distance of 16.4 km.

The Bicycles thread-bfe1d740ab6d4779a55ae9f7244b8b8c.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-04008a399c514e4ca3876133cb20a2f0.jpeg

My last 30 min TT done in Aug yielded an avg of 34 kmph. With some solid training work over last couple of months I was confident of breaching that, however wasn’t sure where I will land. Also this was a section I last did in 2018 ! So was kind of confused with pacing. Took some inspiration from my FTP HR progression and decided to emulate the same strategy here.
Felt very strong through most sections barring couple of rolling climbs with some crosswinds thrown in. Finished the 16.4 km (10 mile) course in 25.28 @ an avg speed of 38.6 kmph !
This is with a bone stock Merida Reacto 400 2017 including stock Dolomites tyres (sans the saddle) . But more importantly about 100 odd hours of bike specific training over last 5 months.
Mi10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:21   #5094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Finished the 16.4 km (10 mile) course in 25.28 @ an avg speed of 38.6 kmph !
This is with a bone stock Merida Reacto 400 2017 including stock Dolomites tyres (sans the saddle) . But more importantly about 100 odd hours of bike specific training over last 5 months.
Brilliant job. That's fast!

And that's a beautiful HR tracing there. I'd say you paced it really well.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 21:08   #5095
BHPian

Hi All,

I am revisiting this thread after a long time. Personal things kept me busy. That is a story for another day anyways. I am here to jot down my experience which might help new riders like me and also seek feedback from esteemed members.

I had bought a hybrid cycle about a year back. Almost very little maintenance apart from dusting, riding it every week and basic checks and balances. I never bought a repair kit because I thought it was a waste of money and I could always rely on the roadside mechanic for help. I figured in India how difficult it would be to get something fixed. As luck would have it faced no issues till yesterday. I encountered a puncture and nearby shops were closed. Due to covid most of the small time mechanics had moved out. I was on a highway with no help. After trying cabs and taxis no help arrived. After an excruciating hour finally my brother came to pick me up. It made me realise the importance of having a basic repair kit.

I have now zeroed down the took kit from decalthon for this. 920 multi tool kit, a pump and the basic puncture adhesive. I hope this would help me overcome most of the problems.

Second thing was due to scarcity of mechanics I took the bike to a famous shop in bangalore. These guys were charging me 3.3K for a full service plus spares extra. I thought this was excessive .

It is after all a cycle and I figured I can do most of the basic servicing myself if I have the tools. I watched GCN videos and think most things can be learnt and does not really require this sort of money. To put things in perspective the service cost is around 12% of my bike cost all included. In 8-9 years the service cost alone would be more than the cost of the bike. I hope to ride the bike till I kick the bucket .

What do members think ?
Old 21st December 2020, 21:09   #5096
BHPian

I did a walkaround and short sprint review of my friend's new Hybrid Bike- The 2020 Giant Escape 3

The Bicycles thread-gh011480-edit.mp4_000002419-edit-1.jpg

Old 22nd December 2020, 10:31   #5097
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Glad to share this with you all. Attend by first no contact - ITT (Bicycle racing) event today. Came 4th in non-aero category at avg speed of 38.6 kmph for distance of 16.4 km.
That's some serious speed. Kudos to you! Your dedicated training plans should have helped a lot in improving over time. What's your FTP? I am assuming it to be around 240-250W mark. Mine is around 210W and I am able to average around 35kmph over 15 kms or so.

And do you place your elbows on the handle bar to get to aero position since you don't have aero bars? If so, it might have helped you save some more watts than in the drop-down bars position.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:08   #5098
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
And do you place your elbows on the handle bar to get to aero position since you don't have aero bars? If so, it might have helped you save some more watts than in the drop-down bars position.
What then is the "non-aero category"?
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:04   #5099
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What then is the "non-aero category"?
I assume it is without aero bars and/or TT bike. Not exactly sure though. But the rules should be such that it shouldn't stop a rider from going to aero position without aero bars.
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:49   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Brilliant job. That's fast!

And that's a beautiful HR tracing there. I'd say you paced it really well.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc, in the absence of power meter, HR is what i went by. Happy to report i had mustered enough grit to get 95% in my HR Zone 5

Quote:
That's some serious speed. Kudos to you! Your dedicated training plans should have helped a lot in improving over time. What's your FTP? I am assuming it to be around 240-250W mark. Mine is around 210W and I am able to average around 35kmph over 15 kms or so.
Thank you, Kat. Actually my FTP is around 221 (20 min test yielded 232, so i guess FTP is ~95% of that).
Right now focusing only on Vo2 Max efforts. Infact that why i attempted this short TT.
IMHO, climatic conditions and elevation profile matters a lot. FTP is only a indicative number where you can base your training on. Also like PWTR, FTP to weight ratio matters in these races. Some hefty riders can put out 300w easily in FTP, but in TT, every ounce of weight you take with you (including yourself) will drag you down.

Quote:

Actually without pads, having the elbow on bars is very painful i was riding hood with kinda semi-aero tuck in. being my first ITT, i was more engrossed in finishing in one piece than being posture correct, but definitely that area needs lot of improvement.

In this ITT, any TT bike, Tri Bike or Road Bike with aero bars are bracketed in Aero category.
Infact all three who finished before me in non-aero category had relatively better bikes and equipment (carbon wheels) . So that is very satisfying
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks