Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 15:43   #5206
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I have never attempted a Duathlon so far, so no specific targets at this time except finishing it in one piece . Will probably attempt one in next 2-3 months.

regarding Bike upgrade, it is a two phased one. First is to get a nice and fast TT bike and follow it up with a good replacement for my Merida R400 (as a training bike - which can be something like a climbing bike). Not really thought about brands at this point of time.
Canyon, Specialized and a lot of pro riders on the international circuit (as well as our own local/state/regional "pros") in 2020 agreed that AERO IS DEAD!

Yeah a TT bike sure.

But aero vs lightweight, that debate in the road bike category seems to have gone to the new breed of lightweights that build up to and hold speed just as good as the heavier aero frames, and as always far outpace them on the climbs.

Would love to hear from others here!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:55   #5207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads&Wheels View Post
I am 37 years old (5'10"at 74 kgs).
I feel you should consider thinner tyres first. Unless you are very sure of being able to stay in the low riding position.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:15   #5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I feel you should consider thinner tyres first. Unless you are very sure of being able to stay in the low riding position.
We also have a hybrid at home which I ride sometimes. My first bike was a Hero Hawk, and I am really keen on going a bit fast and covering few extra miles. My motorcycle riding experience tells me the riding position should really not be a problem.

The plan is to retain the MTB and use it for its real purpose. I am lucky to have few trails close to my place.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I get what you are saying!

Cheers
Old 13th January 2021, 16:33   #5209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Canyon, Specialized and a lot of pro riders on the international circuit (as well as our own local/state/regional "pros") in 2020 agreed that AERO IS DEAD!

Yeah a TT bike sure.

But aero vs lightweight, that debate in the road bike category seems to have gone to the new breed of lightweights that build up to and hold speed just as good as the heavier aero frames, and as always far outpace them on the climbs.

Cheers, Doc
Yes i agree to an extent. Even in local events i have seen strong riders in bikes like Giant TCR,Scott Foil bring the game very close to TT bikes.

Recently, I took a short spin on a Focus Izalco with a Ultegra Di2 and a Cervelo R3 with a Mech Dura Ace and both of them blew my mind off!

That said, in windy conditions (esp in a place like chennai where it is flat out speed course with almost nil elevation) TT bikes still are in a league of their own!
You need to be a exceptionally strong rider with prefect posture (Aero tuck) to even compete with these ones. In headwind, TT bikes have a natural advantage - 1) because of the geometry and 2) because they are heavier and once you build that momentum they just keep going. Lighter frames suffer in these conditions quite a bit. However, like they say, not impossible, but quite a bit of work there for the rider.

Last edited by Mi10 : 13th January 2021 at 16:34.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:42   #5210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Yes i agree to an extent. Even in local events i have seen strong riders in bikes like Giant TCR,Scott Foil bring the game very close to TT bikes.

Recently, I took a short spin on a Focus Izalco with a Ultegra Di2 and a Cervelo R3 with a Mech Dura Ace and both of them blew my mind off!

That said, in windy conditions (esp in a place like chennai where it is flat out speed course with almost nil elevation) TT bikes still are in a league of their own!
You need to be a exceptionally strong rider with prefect posture (Aero tuck) to even compete with these ones. In headwind, TT bikes have a natural advantage - 1) because of the geometry and 2) because they are heavier and once you build that momentum they just keep going. Lighter frames suffer in these conditions quite a bit. However, like they say, not impossible, but quite a bit of work there for the rider.
Very good points. If you can afford two high end bikes, then this is the best combination to have.

Heard a lot about the Izalco as well.

All the best and keep us posted!

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th January 2021, 04:31   #5211

Hi Fellow BHpians,

I am a newbie to the cycling world, last month I picked up Btwin Riverside 500 from Decathlon as it was the only Hybrid I could get my hands on during that time. I have been consistent in riding for last 4 weeks, covering 18-25kms in about 60-80 mins every day.

I noticed a problem with the bike, the seat post keeps coming down during the ride. I adjust it to a comfortable/optimum position at the beginning of the ride (learnt after watching multiple Youtube Videos ), then after about 30mins/10kms into the ride I have to stop and raise it. I feel its dropping by about 1.5 inches.

Could this be because of the suspension seat post ? What is the possible solve for this as its really frustrating to adjust the seat post every time.

Looking for some tips here from the experts.
Old 15th January 2021, 04:50   #5212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswabhab View Post
I noticed a problem with the bike, the seat post keeps coming down during the ride.

Could this be because of the suspension seat post ?

What do you mean by suspension seat post?

Not an expert, but do check and make sure that the seat height clamp isn't damaged or loose on its mount. Also, don't swivel it around too much when locking into place.
Old 15th January 2021, 05:55   #5213

By "suspension seat post" I meant there is spring (which acts as a suspension) in the seat post itself, in this particular version of BTwin Riverside.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:58   #5214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswabhab View Post
Hi Fellow BHpians,

I am a newbie to the cycling world, last month I picked up Btwin Riverside 500 from Decathlon as it was the only Hybrid I could get my hands on during that time. I have been consistent in riding for last 4 weeks, covering 18-25kms in about 60-80 mins every day.

I noticed a problem with the bike, the seat post keeps coming down during the ride. I adjust it to a comfortable/optimum position at the beginning of the ride (learnt after watching multiple Youtube Videos ), then after about 30mins/10kms into the ride I have to stop and raise it. I feel its dropping by about 1.5 inches.

Could this be because of the suspension seat post ? What is the possible solve for this as its really frustrating to adjust the seat post every time.

If the seat post has a quick-release mechanism to adjust, most probably that would be the culprit. You can adjust it to get the problem sorted. Just sharing a video I found on YouTube.

Old 15th January 2021, 10:49   #5215
Senior - BHPian

Peppy ride today ! Usually I stick to Zone 1 Or 1.5 HR for my outdoor rides and do all intense intervals in indoor. Since I be been doing this for almost 4 months now, thought I will give in to some fun ride .

The Bicycles thread-096566f33a714a3abf0ad61e1d63fef5.jpeg
Mi10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:21   #5216
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Cheers, Doc
In climbs, yes, light weight bikes have the edge, otherwise GCN or other tests point only to aero bikes being faster than lightweight bikes for the same power, even though they are significantly heavier (0.5 to 1 kgs). And hence, I have decided to go with a slightly heavier aero bike as my next upgrade. And disc brakes are a must since I have lost all confidence in rim brakes when riding downhill. And, from this year, I assume all 105/above bikes will come in disc brake variants predominantly.
kat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:23   #5217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads&Wheels View Post
...I was also worried about the heart rate part, more after getting a Garmin watch. I constantly saw 140 to 160 as average heart rate during my rides on Strava. Consulted a doctor today and got an ECG done just to be sure. Seems all is fine.

I am 37 years old (5'10"at 74 kgs).

Cheers
I checked your BMI online and I find it is normal weight for your height. I am on the other hand overweight. I easily clock 180+ heart rate for light intensity pedaling. Which is a bit scary. I am 35 yrs old.

Last edited by amvj : 15th January 2021 at 12:46.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:04   #5218
BHPian

Hi all,

Any recommendations on a good cycle carrier rack (rear mounted) to carry atleast 3 cycles and can be fitted on Marazzo. I presume the rack will be removable. Checked couple on amazon and they are in range of 6K. Want some inputs from people who have used them.

Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 14:15   #5219
Senior - BHPian

My old school aluminium lightweight came back on the road today.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210114_185711.jpg

The rear derailleur hanger has been straightened and shifting is fine again.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210114_190503.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
In climbs, yes, light weight bikes have the edge, otherwise GCN or other tests point only to aero bikes being faster than lightweight bikes for the same power, even though they are significantly heavier (0.5 to 1 kgs). And hence, I have decided to go with a slightly heavier aero bike as my next upgrade. And disc brakes are a must since I have lost all confidence in rim brakes when riding downhill. And, from this year, I assume all 105/above bikes will come in disc brake variants predominantly.
I agree that WAS the traditional thinking. But technology is changing the game and it is now possible to have a lightweight that is as aero and fast if not faster than a full-on aero bike. In addition to of course being lighter and a better climber.

There are a number of results you will get on Google if you put in the keywords "Aero is dead" (with wind tunnel data if I recall correctly - it was some time ago).

The new Specialized Tarmac and Canyon Aeroad are as fast as the top line aero bikes of the competition.

In fact the Tarmac actually turned out to be FASTER than Specialized's own aero bike, which prompted them to actually discontinue the Venge.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2021 at 14:30.
Old 15th January 2021, 14:35   #5220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Hi all,

Any recommendations on a good cycle carrier rack (rear mounted) to carry atleast 3 cycles and can be fitted on Marazzo. I presume the rack will be removable.
There is a separate thread on this. Please search. I'm at a place with limited connectivity. Else would have fished out the link.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks