Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:38   #5266
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I also feel ok settling for something weighting 14 -15 kg @ 25k against 35-37k for 12 - 14kg weight. Not sure of the helix's weight.
How do you feel about not settling and buying a genuine road bike weighing 11+ kilos for 23k or 10+ kilos with brifters and discs for 37k?

Cheers, Doc
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:46   #5267
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
In my view, Kids are generally tougher than adults and don't care about seat comfort. Unless they are specifically looking for a comfortable cycle. Kids generally prefer macho looking, bulky MTB style bikes. It is the grown ups and those who want to ride long distance prefer road bike / hybrid style bikes.

Regarding the price difference, check the groupset price online. In general, going for higher groupset is always good.

I suggest you to go the shop with your kid and decide.
The price difference has me stumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How do you feel about not settling and buying a genuine road bike weighing 11+ kilos for 23k or 10+ kilos with brifters and discs for 37k?
I fear I get what you are getting at. But drop bars are not considered. The children dont want it. The flat bar RC 100 is not available at the moment, which is why I looked at the other options. Besides, felt to look at different brands and alternatives.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:50   #5268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I fear I get what you are getting at. But drop bars are not considered. The children dont want it. The flat bar RC 100 is not available at the moment, which is why I looked at the other options. Besides, felt to look at different brands and alternatives.
Nothing to fear. I missed the part about these being for kids.

How old are they and how tall?

There are models below the RC100 as well. My nephew is looking at a geared version for 8-12 years olds.

The Rockrider 300 Jr.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd February 2021 at 16:14.
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:51   #5269
BANNED

Well,doc, the daughter is 158 cm, 14 yrs. Son is 12 yrs and 162 cm. They are currently fighting over a Riverside 100,size M. Neither wants⁴ the Hercles MTB, a 17in or 18inr frame 26er. I'm 168 cm, and their mom is 166 cm. So the M size looks ok as in future proof. Incidentally, son's helmet size is same as mine. Got a L size RoadR for him

Both do a couple of km solos5 on the Riverside. The hercules is excess baggage even for a even 5km weekend early morning holiday ride together.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:02   #5270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The hercules is excess baggage even for a even 5km weekend early morning holiday ride together.
Any MTB with fat knobby tyres and front pogo stick suspension is excess baggage.

But kids love the look of both, so its difficult to convince them otherwise.

And kids are strong and have great hearts and lungs. They zoom up slopes that we grind out. Getting merrily out of the saddle and dancing on the pedals on single speed bikes. So I guess thay can take anything.

Its we who need everything (thin tyres, lightweight rigid fork frames) on our side to make our lives more comfortable.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 10:07   #5271
Senior - BHPian

Is 20k too less of a budget for city/hybrid alloy frame bike with thin-ish tyres? For a novice which brand/model would experts here suggest? Don't need suspension on either end but gears are needed and flat handlebar. My search led me to Triban RC100 with flat handle but that bike isn't available for last 2 months ..~almost. It seemed like a nice bike to me.
Any alternatives to that?

Last edited by amol4184 : 5th February 2021 at 10:12.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:24   #5272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Is 20k too less of a budget for city/hybrid alloy frame bike with thin-ish tyres? For a novice which brand/model would experts here suggest? Don't need suspension on either end but gears are needed and flat handlebar. My search led me to Triban RC100 with flat handle but that bike isn't available for last 2 months ..~almost. It seemed like a nice bike to me.
Any alternatives to that?
I'm afraid tight now it's not a matter of what's best but what's best amongst what's available.

And I don't see the situation getting better soon.

Tyres and tubes are gold. Anything Shimano is kryptonite.

Bad days man. Those of us with more than one working bike have actually been using all because we've had to at some time in the past year.

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th February 2021, 11:44   #5273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm afraid tight now it's not a matter of what's best but what's best amongst what's available.

And I don't see the situation getting better soon.

Tyres and tubes are gold. Anything Shimano is kryptonite.

Bad days man. Those of us with more than one working bike have actually been using all because we've had to at some time in the past year.

Cheers, Doc
Absolutely. Almost every good bike is OOS, not available in store, not available for shipping either. OLX near me also returns crappy results. Any thoughts on Hero Traveler 700c and Triad X3/X4?
Hero seems to be SS but I heard conflicting reports on that. The website mentions it is SS but it also mentions its without gears and disc brakes so I don't much trust that site.
The Triad is alloy and X3 is OOS, X4 is launching soon and up for pre-order. Considering nothing is available, Triad X4 pre-order seems a good idea?
Old 5th February 2021, 12:44   #5274
BANNED

Sigh. The Helix 1.5i announced a few minutes back is sold out.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:23   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Absolutely. Almost every good bike is OOS, not available in store, not available for shipping either. OLX near me also returns crappy results. Any thoughts on Hero Traveler 700c and Triad X3/X4?
Hero seems to be SS but I heard conflicting reports on that. The website mentions it is SS but it also mentions its without gears and disc brakes so I don't much trust that site.
The Triad is alloy and X3 is OOS, X4 is launching soon and up for pre-order. Considering nothing is available, Triad X4 pre-order seems a good idea?
The X3 any day. At 13 kilos it looks like a decent bike. Nice frame geometry, finish, and sporty straight fork. And dual discs.

I simply don't like front shockers on a bike. So no X4. Too squishy and kills the feel and any hopes of fast riding. Even the more expensive ones with a lockout just don't feel the same. Too jumpy. Coz the geometry is such that the axis of the fork is much more vertical.

The Hero Sprint Traveller geared bike is a heavy mama at 18 kilos man. Think about it.

Same for the equivalent steel framed Firefox Spirit. Though I cannot find its weight anywhere.

Have you tried looking for the Montra Trance Pro?

The Firefiox Rapide?

The Montra Downtown?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:12   #5276
BHPian

Quote:

Same for the equivalent steel framed Firefox Spirit. Though I cannot find its weight anywhere.

Cheers, Doc
You can find the Bike's weight when you compare it. May be Firefox is too ashamed to post it directly because of the porky weight.

The Bicycles thread-firefoxbikes-comparo.png

We have the wrong people in Maruti and Bicycle industry. We need to swap these people.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:16   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can find the Bike's weight when you compare it. May be Firefox is too ashamed to post it directly because of the porky weight.
But still much better than the equivalent steel Hero at 18.2 kilos. My steel Hercules Top Gear from 2002 weighs around that much.

My alloy Hercules ACT weighs 13.65 kilos without anything on (side stand, bottles/bottle cages, saddle bags, frame pump, etc.

The Rapide is actually a very respectable 12.6 kilos, so when you consider the Triban RC100 at 11.4 kilos does not have a front triple crank, front derailleur and front shifter and cable assembly, all of which the Rapide does, if that weight is accurate, its a very good weight.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2021 at 16:22.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 18:22   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2118474

We have the wrong people in Maruti and Bicycle industry. We need to swap these people.
Also, when you see charts like this with weights neatly in increments of 0.5 kg, you can be sure that the manufacturer has been economical with the truth and rounded off the weight to the PREVIOUS 0.5 kg.

Regardless of how close it was to the NEXT 0.5 kg.

Whereas the reputed brand websites will give you the correct weight right down to the last gram. Or at least to one decimal place for kilos, if not often two.

Sorry I just had to add this as an afterthought to my previous post, LONG after I made it. I'm not really a weight weeny, but when I see neatly portrayed weights like this, I just need to set the record straight for guys out there.

Also, the reputed brands will clearly mention which size weighs how much, and also clarify that the weight is without the pedals included.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 20:12   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The X3 any day. At 13 kilos it looks like a decent bike. Nice frame geometry, finish, and sporty straight fork. And dual discs.

Have you tried looking for the Montra Trance Pro?

The Firefiox Rapide?

The Montra Downtown?

Cheers, Doc
Indeed. No shock absorbers. I was interested in rigid forks too but for MY2021 Triad seems to have stopped X3 and replaced with X4 which comes with shocks as default. I'll confirm that again.
Thanks for these other ideas. Montra downtown looks sweet. I'll check these out!
Old 5th February 2021, 20:17   #5280
Senior - BHPian

Can you all give your opinion on this bike -> https://szel-sports.com/kogin%2C-hybrid-bicycle

This is created by my local bike shop here, they are a bunch of enthusiastic guys. I bought my Trek 3700 from them about 7 years ago.

I found their kogin model there, and it seemed to tick all the boxes I wanted. 'NO shocks & V brakes' , unisex hybrid frame. However, I am not so sure about the gearset they are using.

If not kogin, what else is a good bicycle from these guys. I am looking for a bike for my wife who is 165cms tall.

Most Viewed