Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 20:57   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Team, which is your favorite sipper bottle? Have used 3-4 till now and was not satisfied, so ordered a CamelBak Podium. Its an amazing bottle! simply loving it.

Also planning to buy Ravemen Cr300 and Tr20 soon, has anyone had experience with these?
Old 16th February 2021, 21:04   #5372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Team, which is your favorite sipper bottle? Have used 3-4 till now and was not satisfied, so ordered a CamelBak Podium. Its an amazing bottle! simply loving it.
Have been using CamelBak Podium for the past 7+ years and have never gone to any other make
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 22:51   #5373
BHPian

Hello,

I finally decided to go ahead and buy a road bike. Kept a budget of 60-70k and visited RR cycles , Madiwala as they are the only store with road bike stock.

I like two models
1. Bianchi via nirone 7 - Shimano claris
2. Scott speedster 30 - tiagra and Mechanical disc brakes.

Bianchi , at 65k , comes within my budget. Scott costs 99k but I just love the looks of that bike.

My question to experts is apart from more gears what is difference between tiagra and claris. Is the smoothness of shifting similar or significantly different? My issue is that I hate the Tourney system on MTBs and I'm worried if claris will be similar to Tourney in smoothness of shifting. Please share your thoughts.
Old 16th February 2021, 23:30   #5374
BANNED

You can find the Shimano hierarchy here.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/lc

Happy navigation!!
Old 17th February 2021, 06:05   #5375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
My question to experts is apart from more gears what is difference between tiagra and claris. Is the smoothness of shifting similar or significantly different? My issue is that I hate the Tourney system on MTBs and I'm worried if claris will be similar to Tourney in smoothness of shifting. Please share your thoughts.
I ride a Claris.Thst too the previous generation (2400). It is butter smooth. Shimano is famous for its trickle down effect in terms of tech and features and refinement. Present generation Claris is even better. I think it now comes with concealed cables as well.

The big advantage of Claris is the life and price of replacing it's consumable components like chain and cassette compared to the higher groupsets.

Personally I think a Sora or a Tiagra is neither here nor there. A Sora is more expensive than a Claris with little if any gains except for the extra cog.

A Tiagra is way more expensive but without being a full-on 11 speed system like the entry level 105.

If you want a better groupset then it's tough to beat the 105 for similar bang for buck like the Claris.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 06:58   #5376
BHPian

Quote:
My issue is that I hate the Tourney system on MTBs and I'm worried if claris will be similar to Tourney in smoothness of shifting. Please share your thoughts.
I second whatever doc said. I ride the old 2400 Claris too. All 8 speed drive train consumables are way less expensive than 10 or 11 speed. You can spend the balance 34K that you save now on clip less pedals, bibs and jersey, helmet and a bike computer. The only thing I don't like about Claris or Tiagra is the grey colour. In that sense I think Sora looks way better. Make sure the Claris you are getting is the R2000 series with hidden cabling.

Here's a pic of of 5 year old bike from last Sunday's ride:
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img.jpg  

itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 07:13   #5377
Senior - BHPian

Better avoid Claris, its heavy and not very reliable. I have a solid lifetime experience with Sora and of course, the 105 is the best ever. Pricey, but lasts long.
Old 17th February 2021, 08:18   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post

The Ride 100. A classic, and favourite 2nd training bike for a lot of serious riders. Beautifully kept too.

P S. I'm dishing out the extra bucks and getting me the blingy KMC Gold too next change.

P.P.S. On the grey, I got the grey R5500 clipless pedals to match.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th February 2021 at 08:24.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 08:34   #5379

Sirs/ friends any suggestions for a good road cycle under 70k in India?
Old 17th February 2021, 09:11   #5380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I finally decided to go ahead and buy a road bike. Kept a budget of 60-70k and visited RR cycles , Madiwala as they are the only store with road bike stock.
.. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman965 View Post
Sirs/ friends any suggestions for a good road cycle under 70k in India?
Similar queries but at different stages.

My feedback might be at a tangent to what doc and others have mentioned, but it's basis what I experienced half a decade ago when I went road cycle hunting.

- Test ride the bike. I can not stress this enough. Tells you a lot more about if the bike is good for you than just specs and colors etc. And please do attempt a bit of climb (eg flyover) and bad roads to get a better feel of the bike
- never found much of a difference between the Sora, Claris and 105 gears but eventually went for a 105 because the riding experience was much better on the bike I chose and it just turned out to be having a 105 groupset.

Happy bike hunting guys
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:13   #5381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I ride a Claris.Thst too the previous generation (2400). It is butter smooth. Shimano is famous for its trickle down effect in terms of tech and features and refinement. Present generation Claris is even better. I think it now comes with concealed cables as well.

A Tiagra is way more expensive but without being a full-on 11 speed system like the entry level 105.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks, Doc. Your explanation on Claris being value for money makes sense. Just to understand your comment on 11 speed system, can you explain how a 11 speed is better than a 10 speed? Is the difference noticeable by an amateur rider?

Quote:
I

The system on the bike is Sora . I'm assuming you have another bike with Claris. Do you?

Also, how much of an impact does the brand and looks of the bike make in a road bike purchase decision? I know it might be shallow to put more weightage on these factors. But ultimately a good looking bike makes me get up in the morning and ride it. Of course that's what brand building is for. What are your thoughts on the same?

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2021, 09:24   #5382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Similar queries but at different stages.

My feedback might be at a tangent to what doc and others have mentioned, but it's basis what I experienced half a decade ago when I went road cycle hunting.

- Test ride the bike. I can not stress this enough. Tells you a lot more about if the bike is good for you than just specs and colors etc. And please do attempt a bit of climb (eg flyover) and bad roads to get a better feel of the bike
- never found much of a difference between the Sora, Claris and 105 gears but eventually went for a 105 because the riding experience was much better on the bike I chose and it just turned out to be having a 105 groupset.

Happy bike hunting guys
I agree completely on riding the bike over all else. The drivetrain is really a factor only once you decide on the rolling frame.

In my personal experience there is a huge difference in shift feel between the lower groupsets like Claris and Sora and the 105s I've ridden.

First, you are used to a certain effort amd shift throw and perceptible click. All of these are much finer and smaller in the 105. To the extent that for the first few times you actually wonder whether you've made the shift.

Second, the jumps between cogs are much smaller and seamless, which again accentuates the above confusion because your legs are used to a certain cha he in resistance and feel with each shift. In the 105 that change in feel is much smaller so your Claris/Sora accustomed legs get a tad confused.initially.

And yes, the braking on a 105 calipered bike is hugely superior to the lower groupsets. Including the Tiagra. The calipers are the real gem in the 105 groupset, and it's a shame that most manufacturers mix and match and cut corners and give Tektros instead of a full complete groupset.

Quote:
Thanks, Doc. Your explanation on Claris being value for money makes sense. Just to understand your comment on 11 speed system, can you explain how a 11 speed is better than a 10 speed? Is the difference noticeable by an amateur rider?

Thanks!
Besides the obvious advantages of the extra cog, the 105 being 11 speed means you can eventually upgrade and mix and match components as they wear out from the higher range groupsets like Ultegra. Or even Dura Ace if your wallet feels frisky.

Also the crank and calipers of a 105 are better than Tiagra. Which is why I would always suggest paying that bit more and getting the same generation 105 over the Tiagra.

The reverse between Claris and Sora because except for the additional cog there is no other technical advantage or even interchangeability advantage that Sora offers. Or shift quality. Or weight. Same freehub. Same crank (no hollowtech). And with the latest generation, Claris too gets the concealed cables. And most tourers around the world will tell you that there is nothing more robust than a 8 speed chain and cogs in terms of thickness and strength and life. Which is why most round the world bikes come with 8 speed groupsets and 26 or 27.5 wheels.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th February 2021 at 09:37.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:38   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Ride 100. A classic, and favourite 2nd training bike for a lot of serious riders. Beautifully kept too.
P S. I'm dishing out the extra bucks and getting me the blingy KMC Gold too next change.
P.P.S. On the grey, I got the grey R5500 clipless pedals to match.
Thanks doc . Yup, MY 2016 Ride 100. To be fair the bike has done only 15K in 5 years. The gold chain was an aliexpress haul: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/216733-buying-aliexpress-12.html#post4956422. (Buying from AliExpress) I got the R550 pedals.

Quote:
The system on the bike is Sora . I'm assuming you have another bike with Claris. Do you?
Ah my model came with a Sora RD, It levers/cassette and chain are still 8 speed though. I only have 1 road bike.

Quote:
But ultimately a good looking bike makes me get up in the morning and ride it. Of course that's what brand building is for.
Yup this is exactly me. I bought this model because I liked the colour scheme and finishing kit (Internal cable routing, chain catcher, jagwire cable etc) better than the other 8/9 speed models in my budget (I had looked at Giant, Polygon and Fuji at that time). Quality wise they are all on par. Made in Taiwan/ Indonesia/China.

The weight savings as you move up the group set hierarchy are diminishing. I made a small table:
Attached Images

Last edited by itisravi : 17th February 2021 at 10:50.
itisravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:12   #5384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks doc .

The weight savings as you move up the group set hierarchy are diminishing. I made a small table:
Yup. The Ride 100 cane with a Sora RD stock.

The biggest jump in weight actually is between the Tiagra and the 105 (250 g), and as I said earlier, it's mainly for the crank.

The other groupsets are all within 100 g of the next one. That's the weight of a multitool.

To put this weight thing in perspective and pose it next to the incremental costs of the groupset itself and the spares later, once a normal rider buys a bike, he usually lands up adding 4-5 KILOS to it in normal riding mode with bottle cages, bottles with water, lights, computer, sensors, pump, puncture kit, multi tool, saddlebag.

Then there is us. What extra weight we are carrying. What we've eaten and drunk and are still retaining. And our gear, helmet, gloves, goggles, shoes, phone, HR strap, money, arm sleeves.

Shimano of course would like us to believe otherwise.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th February 2021 at 11:26.
Old 17th February 2021, 13:06   #5385
BHPian

What was supposed to be a Blissful Joyous 25km Ride, turned into excruciating amounts of grease all over my hands and handkerchief. I had gotten the derailleur cable changed a few days ago and did not bother to adjust it. All it took was one sharp pothole that sent my chain right in the middle of the frame and freewheel.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210217_092444.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210217_092435.jpg

I stood on the roadside for a good half hour trying to pry out the chain with my hands and lock keys. Eventually I realised it was hopeless and took the bike back home in hand. Thankfully I didn't have to walk far, I can only imagine my plight if this had happened somewhere in the middle of my ride. When I did reach home, I had to loosen the rear wheel and yank the chain out, and adjust the limiting screws. On a positive note, this was a learning experience and has pretty much guaranteed that I won't be leaving for my next ride without a toolkit. I have looked them up in the past and it seems like Decathlon is the front runner providing good multitool kits in a compact size. Another thing I wanted was an under seat bag, which is also available at Decathlon. Should I go for these eyes closed or is there anything else that would be better?
superguy282 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed