Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 23:40   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I saw one of these models in really bad shape some months ago, and thought it just had paint in terrible condition...

The Bicycles thread-img_20210226_172619_101_1.jpeg

But as it turns out, it's supposed to be that way... quite a unique graphic.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210226_172628_101_1.jpeg

Serviced this trio today, and find them to be very smooth-riding bikes... Not too heavy (aluminum frame), decent Acera/Altus derailleurs, powerful rim brakes, quite plush adjustable/lockout forks, grippy Kenda's, and that super-gear 1st out back that makes even extreme inclines easy.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210226_1738300101_1.jpeg

As an aside, I rented the Merida Matts 20 (my original personal ride, and ever-smooth operator despite never being serviced) to a guy the past few days who told me: "Back in Andrha I regularly and easily do 80km's at a stretch - but here I got about 1-2km's onwards and felt tired."

Hehehe... my 7&9 y-o kids managed àbout 1000ft climb in 6-7km's the other day without having to walk it...

But be that as it may, while these mountains can be ridden - they can never be conquered.

...And that, I suppose, is part of why we like 'em!

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 00:20   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
...in the middle of a very busy junction, the left pedal of my brand new cycle got detached and fell off...This was really traumatic and endangered my life.

The pedal is not something that we can refit without a spanner.

If this was not sufficient, my seat tilted... getting it twisted in the middle of the road just makes it worst.

I had really high hopes from my new bicycle.
Sorry to hear your experience - You wouldn't believe how.many people show up at my shop with 1-3 day-old cycles with parts loose and/or literally falling off them.

...And I know the shops they're buying from - and I personally know and LIKE these technicians. But it is a great mystery to me as to how they can still fail, with years of experience, to consistently tighten things properly.

On the positive side, in your case none of your bad experience points to any basic flaw in the cycle's design or manufacture. A couple turns of whichever wrench and you're back in business.

Every bike owner should have a basic tool set, since "stuff happens". But if you're not ready for that, do have someone go over every nut and bolt and make sure all's good and tight. It takes all of two minutes, costs hardly anything, prevents trouble, and will give you some.peace of mind.

Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th February 2021 at 00:23.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 10:36   #5418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
  • Started cycling from 2021
  • Have done couple of 50+ kms (non-ghat section) rides with much ease
  • Currently using a basic non-geared Raleigh cycle (still waiting for the hybrid stocks to arrive)
Borrowed a Merida MTB from a friend for few days and was successfully able to complete the "mandatory" trip to Lonavala

Transitioning from a non-geared bike to a 3 x 8 drivetrain was a revelation in itself. As advised, the plan now is to practice some ghats sections and improve the speed.
And the wait for my pre-booked Trek FX 1 still continues...
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-strava.jpg  

Jedi.Knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 23:37   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
Borrowed a Merida MTB from a friend for few days and was successfully able to complete the "mandatory" trip to Lonavala

Transitioning from a non-geared bike to a 3 x 8 drivetrain was a revelation in itself. As advised, the plan now is to practice some ghats sections and improve the speed.
And the wait for my pre-booked Trek FX 1 still continues...
That's a very strong ride buddy. Here is my first Lonavala back in 2016 ...

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210228233500.png

You will only get better and stronger from here.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:21   #5420
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
After about 20 years since I last had a bicycle, I am thinking about getting a cycle. This is purely from a fitness angle since I don't feel comfortable going to a gym anytime soon. I am not very confident in riding through main roads in traffic and therefore only see myself riding around the by-lanes during the week and some trail riding on the weekends. So I suppose I will go for an MTB.

Last weekend, headed to Decathlon, Sarjapur road for seeing what is on offer and that ended in disappointment. There were not many models and the couple of bikes me and another guy managed to pull out from the rack were damaged. There was nobody to help or explain about the models. Complained to the staff at the billing counter who tried his best to call the manager, who was busy on phone and just walked away. So there is that.

Explored a couple of other shops around HSR and came across the following models SDX YX300, Java Moca, NinetyOne Invictus 29T and Firefox Firestorm 27.5 D. TBH I've only heard of Firefox before and not sure how good or bad the other brands are. One shopkeeper advised me to concentrate on the components instead of the brands as they matter most. How true is that statement?

Of all the models, Ninety One Invictus seems to have the best specs.
Frame - Aluminum Alloy 6061 with Internal Cabling
Fork - SUNTOUR Hydraulic Lock - In / Out 100 mm Travel
Shifting - 24-Speed SHIMANO EF-500 2 Finger
Derailleur - SHIMANO Acera RD-M360-8S & FD-TY700-3S
Brakes - JAK 7 F/R Alloy Mechanical Disc Brakes
Freewheel - SHIMANO HG20-8 8 Speed Hyperglide Cassette Sprocket
Weight - 15.5 Kg. Is this light enough by MTB standards?

It is priced at 33k which is around what I am comfortable paying. I don't mind paying more but putting a hard stop at 50k. Please suggest what I should look for as there are too many options and information overload on the net, even this thread being over 350 pages long. The last time I bought a cycle, I just went to one of the nearby shops and picked a Hercules cycle purely based on its macho looks. The thing was damn heavy and had no gears. I ended up pushing it more than riding and don't want to make the same mistake this time.

Bangalore folks, are there any trail riding groups or any trail riding courses for beginners around town? Would like to be part of some group and learn the ropes. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to trail riding.
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:57   #5421
BHPian

Hello,

At the age of 28, I've been in this urge to get back to cycling. As a school kid, Cycling was an integral part of each day. Whether it be going for tuitions, to play football with friends or running errands for the house, all was done on cycles.

I've owned a variety of old Gen cycles and some being revolutionary in their own respective times. At the time, knowledge was very limited on the technical specs and most if not all depended on looks. Here's a list of a few revolutionary cycles I had as a kid:

1. Calvin Country (2002): This was an single speed bike, All Aluminum frame, finished in a shiny chrome-ish finish. It was a 26 Inch with a thick triangle frame and knobby tyres.
I still have this cycle with me and has been left exposed to the weather gods. Till date there is no sign of rust to the frame, which does justify the claim of being an Aluminum Frame.

2. Hero DTB (2006): Another cycle very unique because of its Y Frame with an integrated Carrier and mid-frame suspension. The first geared cycle I owned and it was very heavy even for its time. The extremely rounded tyres were a first with unique leaf pattern Thread.

3. Hero Hawk (2010): This wasn't the common single speed hawk, rather had a 21 Speed Shimano system. The downswept Handlebars with arm rests and an extremely skinny profile helped get from place to place at amazing pace.

Come 2021, a decade and a quite a few gained Kgs later, I made up my mind to get on the saddle again.

As per my Research it was Only Trek and Giant who provided the XL Frames. Trek seemed more value for Money but the waiting period is seriously frustrating.

Ive booked myself a Trek Marlin 4 in XL Size after referring the size charts for my 6'6" height. I booked the cycle in January and The waiting period was till the end of Feb but there is still no signs of the cycle. The dealer here in Chandigarh informed me the postponed timeline of End March, saying the Feb shipment still hasn't made its way onto the Indian Shores. Is this usually the case with brands like Trek and Giant? Isn't there any other good Manufacturer who makes the XL frame in the budget of under 30k.

Also looking for reviews on the Marlin 4, and what are the basic accessories i should be considering.
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:23   #5422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Serviced this trio today, and find them to be very smooth-riding bikes... Not too heavy (aluminum frame), decent Acera/Altus derailleurs, powerful rim brakes, quite plush adjustable/lockout forks, grippy Kenda's, and that super-gear 1st out back that makes even extreme inclines easy.
After 7.5 years and probably around 12,000kms of riding the Target, I can say that it used to be one of the best bikes available in the 20-25k range compared to the montra or hero equivalents.The only negatives i can think of is the FD which takes a lot of time shifting up and becomes annoying if you are trying to ride fast.I am pretty sure its just an adjustable fork and can't be locked out fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
Trek seemed more value for Money but the waiting period is seriously frustrating.Ive booked myself a Trek Marlin 4 in XL Size after referring the size charts for my 6'6" height. I booked the cycle in January and The waiting period was till the end of Feb but there is still no signs of the cycle. The dealer here in Chandigarh informed me the postponed timeline of End March, saying the Feb shipment still hasn't made its way onto the Indian Shores. Is this usually the case with brands like Trek and Giant? Isn't there any other good Manufacturer who makes the XL frame in the budget of under 30k.
The waiting period is quite acceptable going by the current scenario.I've been waiting for my Merida road bike since almost 11 months now and hopefully will take delivery in april.I think the 2021 Scott MTB range is already available in the market and they might have XL size bikes too. I think most brands aren't really sending out bikes to india because of the low volumes they do here and are focusing on exporting to Europe & USA for example Specialized which has no plans of bringing the 2021 bikes here.
TSIVTEC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 19:46   #5423
BHPian

I just bought a Triban RC100 road bike
The urge to buy a road bike become irresistible. I headed to Decalthon, Carmelaram, Bangalore and bought it today. I paid around 27K including accessories such as side stand, rechargeable rear light, ass saver, water bottle and a helmet.

Mine is getting assembled:

The Bicycles thread-triban-rc100-1.jpg

Demo RC100 bike along with a mountain bike

The Bicycles thread-triban-rc100-2.jpg

I live in a flat part of the Earth, so gearing is not that important for me. Also, I will not take it to any hills.

Only RC100 road bike is available in the Decathlon at the moment, but there are tons of mountain and hybrid bikes available. Also, only size M is available in the store. People are not interested in road bikes I think.

The Bicycles thread-decathlon-1.jpg

The Bicycles thread-decathlon-2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-decathlon-3.jpg

RC100 now joins the Firefox Volante in my garage. Which is 1+ year old.

The Bicycles thread-firefox-volante.jpg

Initial impressions:
1. I need to get used to the road bike handlebar. This is my first road bike. It feels quite different compared to my hybrid.
2. I felt slightly faster while on the way to my home.
3. Tires are slick and I am not sure about the traction in the wet and loose surface.
4. Clean design compared to my Firefox. I like the silver colour too.
5. I find the brakes are not adequate. May be the brake pads need to bed in. Firefox Volante brakes are simply phenomenal compared to this.
6. This is the very basic road bike one can buy. Many will not even consider this as their first bike. However, I had lots of difficulties convincing my wife to get one.

I will compare the Firefox and I will post a detailed review later this weekend.

Last edited by amvj : 4th March 2021 at 19:48.
amvj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 13:23   #5424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I headed to Decalthon, Carmelaram, Bangalore and bought it today. I paid around 27K including accessories such as side stand, rechargeable rear light, ass saver, water bottle and a helmet.

Only RC100 road bike is available in the Decathlon at the moment, but there are tons of mountain and hybrid bikes available. Also, only size M is available in the store. People are not interested in road bikes I think.
When did you go and how was your experience with the staff? I had a disappointing time at the store last week. See my post
Old 5th March 2021, 15:08   #5425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
When did you go and how was your experience with the staff? I had a disappointing time at the store last week. See my post.......

Bangalore folks, are there any trail riding groups or any trail riding courses for beginners around town? Would like to be part of some group and learn the ropes. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to trail riding.
I went to the store yesterday evening. I find the staffs courteous and willing to help.

Although the staff who came to assist me was a newbie, he checked with his superiors and clarified my doubts and helped me to get the accessories.

You can find lots of groups in Strava. Sign up and check it.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 10:29   #5426
BHPian

Today I did a 25KM ride in the morning with the Triban RC100.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210306101309_strava.jpg

Just 3-4 Km from my home and the road looks like this. Location is Chambenahalli. I missed this all these years. This does not look like Bangalore at all. The last few places in Bangalore that are devoid of garbage, pollution, traffic and a lot of houses. I am sure in few years builders will ruin this area as well.

So what I think about the Triban RC100: It is certainly better than my expectation. It certainly does not feel cheap or nasty. It feels like Volkswagen up!. They made it cheap by skimping components rather than cheap materials. It is unbelievable that even Indian manufacturers are unable to bring a road bike at this price point.

The Bicycles thread-20210306_075559.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210306_075543.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210306_074308.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210306_075435.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210306_080648.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210306_075602.jpg

Last edited by amvj : 6th March 2021 at 10:31.
amvj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:11   #5427
BHPian

Adding few close up photos:

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7843.jpg

I like the minimal design and metallic paint

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7831.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7833.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7834.jpg

Brakes are average

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7835.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7836.jpg

Seat clamp requires tool to adjust. Which is not ideal. Need to buy one like this:
https://www.decathlon.in/p/3640502/b...-mm-seat-clamp

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7837.jpg

Average saddle

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7838.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7839.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7842.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7845.jpg

Does not feel like a cheap bike.

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7846.jpg

Gears could have been better

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7848.jpg

No front derailleur

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7850.jpg

Paint has a metallic finish. Quite surprised for a metallic paint at this price point.
Welding could have been better (I am nitpicking).

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7852.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7856.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7859.jpg

Slick tyre

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7860.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7862.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_7863.jpg

I will compare it with my Firefox Volante and update it later.

I find difficult to ride without a mirror. Are there mirrors available for road bikes ?
I see some Zefal brand mirrors but are not available at the moment.

Last edited by amvj : 6th March 2021 at 11:31.
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 16:59   #5428
BHPian

Quote:
Location is Chambenahalli. I missed this all these years. This does not look like Bangalore at all.
You could explore Sarjapur Road all the way to Bagalur or even Berigai which is down further on your longer rides. Very serene village roads!

Quote:
Seat clamp requires tool to adjust. Which is not ideal. Need to buy one like this:
https://www.decathlon.in/p/3640502/b...-mm-seat-clamp
Road bikes don't usually have a quick release seat post clamp, the idea being that once the bike fit is dialed in, you shouldn't need to adjust it. Nevertheless you can adjust it easily with a multi tool (which is a must have accessory).

Quote:
I find difficult to ride without a mirror. Are there mirrors available for road bikes ?
I see some Zefal brand mirrors but are not available at the moment.
Sprintech drop bar mirrors are available but expensive. Perhaps a helmet mounted mirror like https://www.amazon.in/Schrodinger15-...dp/B01N5H404B/ might be useful for you.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 19:37   #5429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, but is that a side stand on your roadie!
Old 6th March 2021, 19:55   #5430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Congratulations, but is that a side stand on your roadie!
Why not? A road bike isn't any different than a hybrid bike when evaluated from the lens of having the benefit of accessories. I find these stands very useful on a daily basis every single ride (be it a 20 km ride or a 200 km ride), and they are actually quite light-weight.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed