Team-BHP - The Bicycles thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   The Bicycles thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/20785-bicycles-thread-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 368854)
I think Firefox is the way to go for you: Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Roadpro 2200. Check the address of thir pune dealer at Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Bike Station.

Any ideas how expensive are Firefox bikes? What is special about them? Can they be repaired at any road-side shop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 369088)
Any ideas how expensive are Firefox bikes? What is special about them? Can they be repaired at any road-side shop?

The firefox bikes are all imported and their quality is a lot better than the rest. all the components are better and the overall feel of the bikes are a lot different...but then again they are really expensive...im not sure but i tihnk theyre around 18k

If they are around 18K, I'll simply let them pass. I am not a pro-biker.

Here boys, check this out - this is the Raleigh Cycles site.
Welcome To Raleigh Bikes of Nottingham!

They're the ones I was talking about earlier - allegedly available at HyperCity Mall in Bombay. Although, approximately 17k x 2 (one for wifey) for the road bikes that I want does seem a bit steep.

Still, they're absolutely superb - I used to own some as a kid.

Any idea about the Flying Pigeons - are they still around & available here?

Check out this guy's blog. The cycle (Firefox) on this page is yummy.

~shree » Welcome the Viper

Has had some bad experiences with Firefox though. But that might be a local issue. There are some aluminum bikes made by Hero Cycles which may interest you.

Do those gandhi cycles that vegetable sellers use still come? If yes, that'll be the ideal cycle - if you can turbocharge it

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 369804)
Do those gandhi cycles that vegetable sellers use still come? If yes, that'll be the ideal cycle - if you can turbocharge it

MAG, darling, turbochargers work on exhaust gases from the IC engine in a car.

I hate to break this to you, & I'll try to be as gentle as I can...

There is no IC engine on a bicycle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 369804)

Yeah they do at about Rs.1850 each. Wonder what's the cost of your turbocharging project on it though!

Gandhi cycles are wonderful for long rides. a bit old tech though. too much of metal makes them heavy. not sure if new ones have improved.

cycle makers came with lighter options later. twisted handle with cabled brakes. but still not like mountain bikes or mach-1 where you have to hunch forward. I guess those will be a good option for leisurly rides.

Spoke with Firefox dealer in Pune in the evening. The non-geared ones are around Rs. 7600-7800. The 21 geared one starts at 14K. So, it spills outside my budget. I'll rather go with Hero or BSA's light aluminum bikes.

BTW, what are Gandhi cycles?

something like this
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020724/ct10.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 369878)
BTW, what are Gandhi cycles?

remember those Gas Cylinders Hawkers.. They used these cycles with a big carrier

Interesting...
I bought my bike Hero Ranger DBX about an year back. I bought it because I wanted to keep company of my son when he was riding his bike. It is really fun cycling with kids.

Cycle with gears are good.. Mine has 18 of them but I would have prefered a 6 geared one. 18 is a overkill. Ensure you get it fitted with a wider saddle depending on your weight. Otherwise discomfort takes away the joy of riding and you start disliking to ride.

Happy biking!

Update:

Bought Hercules WOW 18 Speed today. Chief contenders were BSA Torque, Hero Octane DTB1/2, 26T, Hercules WOW 18 and couple of imported bikes. Imported bikes were discarded immediately since I never heard those names (Suncross and some other SriLankan bike, which looked good).

Eventually I chose Hercules since it looked hot, felt rugged and rode smooth. It doesn't come with Aluminium frame which Hero Octane comes with. But, I could not feel *any* weight difference between 2, which I was definitely expecting to be there.

Did a quick survey with 4 dealers and they discouraged me from buying anything other than their preferred brand. So, I was told from Hero dealer that Hercules has Chinese parts, which are not quality ones and gears are not smooth. Hercules dealers said exactly same thing, with only brand names changed. Eventually, decided in favour of Hercules on majority basis stupid:

I took test rides and found WOW better so went ahead with it. Incidentally, it's cheaper by around 800/-, since it doesn't have aluminum frame.

One of the dealers claimed that, out of 16 Firefox bikes, 6 are lying back with dealer since their one off spares are not available. He offered me cell phone no. of Western India Cycling Association (or some similar name) to verify this.

So, we ended up buying 3 cycles in all (2 kids and one for self). I carried 2 kiddo cycles in the car. Petra already has 500L boot and it opens up even more space inside with rear seats completely folded. (Should have taken a snap).

And of course, after dropping the kid cycles back home, I went back to the shop and rode back home on my new ride. It would have been too lame to carry it inside the car ;-)

I have made a resolution not to use car for distances less than 3kms. Hence have started using my cycle ( A very basic Hercules with no gears and no shockers ). I used to love cycling in my college days and had a atlas sports cycle which I used to peddle for around 20 - 25 kms every day just for fun stupid:. Have re discovered that passion and plan to get a Fire Fox soon:)