Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 15:58   #631
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Thanks bikxsans. I am really happy with the purchase, and started using the bike, already done up some 30 KMs approximately in 2 - 3 days . I AM really liking it. I am also kind of learning the proper gear shifting on the bike, and need some more time to be so accurate with shifting and usage of gears, but I believe I kind of got the hang of it by now.

Yes helmet is the top priority, I need to arrange Vitamin M and go and find some qood quality and good looking/matching ones. Again I am planning to go where I bought the bike from - Decathlon Bangalore for it. I am also badly in need of the lock, due to the lack of it currently I am keeping the bike in the balcony (afraid of misuse/theft if left in the basement/loby of my apartment complex, I am living on the 6th floor). I didnt plan/expect this bike purchase for this month hence really short of money you know.

And I aleady have a bell, it came with the bike, also front light and back blinkers (free with the bike). I also need a pump, but must wait for that.

I am also looking forward to meetup/get in touch with fellow bikers around south bangalore for possible week end meets and explorations. So waiting for that to happen

Cheers
narayanang76
I guess you should be on the BZ forum, there are some serious bike enthusiasts there. Me being one though too

You can be guided well with all your queries and suggestions, may find guys for explorations and meets too.

But most importantly 'Get That Helmet'!

Cheers.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:59   #632
BHPian

Are those Shimano Shifters on the Q5? By how much did it dig a hole in your wallet. Looks nice.
bikxsans660 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 18:55   #633
BHPian

Shamino Alivio, yes. The front derailleur is SRAM 3.0.

The cycle itself has a tag of Rs. 24000, add about 3000 for the accessories like Helmet, Spare Tubes, Pump, Saddle Cover, Sippers, Wire Cage, Lock..etc etc etc..

Last edited by Arihant.EXE : 1st May 2011 at 18:58.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:59   #634
Team-BHP Support

I want a cycle that meets the following specs.

Gears. As I live in Hyderabad and a couple of lovely inclines on my office route.
No Suspension. Not in the front nor in the rear.
The quick release front wheel. I want the ability to transport my cycle in my Wagon R. Also to carry it with me into my home. Since I live in rented premises. This ability is very important. So if tomorrow I shift to apartments, I don't want the cycle in the common parking.
Hybrid tires.: I assume these make life a lot easier.
Stainless Steel. My weight means a strong frame is gonna be important. Will aluminium work for me.

Budget. Anything under 15k should be good. Will be very happy if its closer to 10k.

Can I buy any cycle I want and mod it for the quick release system when I want.
Or is it something that needs more than just an axle change?
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:33   #635
Senior - BHPian

You have plenty of options in 10k range. Just visit a cycle store and try out a few. Almost all bikes in this range have gears / and front tyre that can be removed easily.

It is still tough to carry bike in car. I am planning to add a carrier on the roof to tie bike there.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:35   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Gears. As I live in Hyderabad and a couple of lovely inclines on my office route.
The quick release front wheel. I want the ability to transport my cycle in my Wagon R. Also to carry it with me into my home. Since I live in rented premises. This ability is very important. So if tomorrow I shift to apartments, I don't want the cycle in the common parking.
Stainless Steel. My weight means a strong frame is gonna be important. Will aluminium work for me.

Budget. Anything under 15k should be good. Will be very happy if its closer to 10k.

I just saw your post on BikeZone and I had responded - user id narayanang76 there as well (but my post will need to be approved before it is visible)

I would feel that a BTwin rockrider 5.0 will suit your need, it has no shocks and cost around 6k ish. I ride a RR 5.1 which has shocks, on aluminium frame, and I am very happy with it. I do daily 10 KM and week ends 15-20 kms. Once in a while I do above 50 KM as well.

Both these rockriders have 21 gears.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 23rd May 2011 at 19:38.
narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 16:24   #637
BHPian

Tyre is Flat on MTB. Any Idea if Puncture etc are common things and can be repaired easily ?
Old 26th May 2011, 16:34   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Tyre is Flat on MTB. Any Idea if Puncture etc are common things and can be repaired easily ?
Yes, they are common but again depends on various parameters such as kind of surface you're riding, level of air pressure and how often you check and refill air in your tyres. Fixing flats are easy and you can get the complete kit from any cycle shops. I bought my kit from Decathlon and I take care of patching myself.

In the last two years, I had only one flat on my MTB and just two on my road bike (in about year plus). I check air every third day and ensure that I top it up to the maximum that I can.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:39   #639
BHPian

Quote:

For your requirement and budget, you can look at two bikes. One is a BTwin RockRider 5.0 (hybrid) and Btwin Forme (it's a road bike with flat handle bar). They have reduced the prices as they are expecting newer models. Both these models are now under 15k, at Decathlon. Am sure they are with other dealers as well.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:17   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any reason for not wanting the suspension? Suspension in front will help a lot.

And why stainless steel? Most imported cycles come with all aluminium frames and hence very light too.

For your req (if you consider the front suspension) Rock rider 5.2 is perfect. Heard it was reduced to 12-13K. So, deadly deal.

If not, you can go ahead with the RR 5.0 too. But try it out couple of times and then decide. You should have rental cycle places with these kind of cycle. Take it for long ride, will help to decide.

And ya, the seating position mostly will be more bend towards the front due to the handbar positions.

And other problem is, decide if you wanna Hybrid or MTB. The tyres in MTB will give more friction and mostly for working out. Not to cover distance.

Depends on people. So try it out. Good luck.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:19   #641
BANNED

Quote:
I would feel that a BTwin rockrider 5.0 will suit your need, it has no shocks and cost around 6k ish.
Hi,

Where did you get a quote for 6k for the Rockrider 5.0? Is it in Bangalore? I would like to pick one.

The last I checked about a week back it was at 10k at Decathalon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:04   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hi,

Where did you get a quote for 6k for the Rockrider 5.0? Is it in Bangalore? I would like to pick one.

The last I checked about a week back it was at 10k at Decathalon.

Thanks in advance.
I have checked it myself at Decathlon Bangalore - in April 2011 though. RR 5.0 was selling at 6k ish, i dont remember the exact figure. I was about to pick 5.0 but my wife suggested to pick up 5.1 as there was a unisex model in 5.1 available.

Hence I bought myself a RR 5.1 at 9499 INR in April 2011, difference between 5.0 and 5.1 mainly is that 5.1 is aluminium, 5.0 is steel. also 5.0 doensnt have shocks, 5.1 has shocks in front.

May be the 10K you saw was MRP, Decathlon sells to members at less than MRP. My RR 5.1 MRP is 12 K, I got it at 9499.

Hope it helps

Thanks,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 26th May 2011 at 18:14.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:16   #643
BANNED

Quote:
Hope it helps
It surely does. Thanks.

I will go tomorrow to Decathlon to have a look and probably pick up one.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:31   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It surely does. Thanks.

I will go tomorrow to Decathlon to have a look and probably pick up one.
Good to know.

Are you a member?

For Everyone benefit, saw the following offer which I though is interesting to grab: http://www.huddlendeal.com/team.php?id=WRMTgw there is a saving of 12 K available at 15 K

Last edited by narayanang76 : 26th May 2011 at 19:56.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:08   #645
Senior - BHPian

Anyone attended the event "Cycletowork" today in KTPO, Bangalore?

Was there today, and was a nice initiative. So, just curious to know.

http://moneycontrol.com/cycletowork/index.php

Most Viewed