Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 16:23   #646
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Anyone attended the event "Cycletowork" today in KTPO, Bangalore?

Was there today, and was a nice initiative. So, just curious to know.

HERO Cycles

Nope, but I do ride once a week to work from Ecity to Koramangala, came on my bicycle today
Old 27th May 2011, 16:29   #647
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a stationary exercise bike for me and my wife.

Please suggest some brands, models and shops in Bangalore (preferablt south Bangalore).

What specifications and features should I be looking at when buying a stationary exercise bike ?

Rohan
Old 27th May 2011, 18:20   #648
BHPian

I got a Schwinn Sporterra Hybrid cycle it is great on road and off road price comes around 13K

Enjoying early morning rides and short trips.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:18   #649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
For your requirement and budget, you can look at two bikes. One is a BTwin RockRider 5.0 (hybrid) and Btwin Forme (it's a road bike with flat handle bar). They have reduced the prices as they are expecting newer models. Both these models are now under 15k, at Decathlon. Am sure they are with other dealers as well.
Its either 5.0 or the Sporterra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Any reason for not wanting the suspension? Suspension in front will help a lot.

And why stainless steel? Most imported cycles come with all aluminium frames and hence very light too.

For your req (if you consider the front suspension) Rock rider 5.2 is perfect. Heard it was reduced to 12-13K. So, deadly deal.

If not, you can go ahead with the RR 5.0 too. But try it out couple of times and then decide. You should have rental cycle places with these kind of cycle. Take it for long ride, will help to decide.

And ya, the seating position mostly will be more bend towards the front due to the handbar positions.

And other problem is, decide if you wanna Hybrid or MTB. The tyres in MTB will give more friction and mostly for working out. Not to cover distance.

Depends on people. So try it out. Good luck.
I don't want suspension because its my understanding that good suspension systems cost way beyond my budget. Plus I am a firm believer in the KISS(Keep it simple, stupid) principle.

Stainless Steel was my earlier misunderstanding that aluminium will be a problem with my weight. I now have no SS preference.

I would prefer a Hybrid. Because I would like to cycle on a regular 2 day a week, 24 kms a day level. If its easy, it will be more fun. If its more fun, I will stick to this better.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:04   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its either 5.0 or the Sporterra.
Good you have narrowed down to these 2. Not tried the sporterra. So no comments on that. But RR is value for money.

Quote:
I don't want suspension because its my understanding that good suspension systems cost way beyond my budget. .
I think if you cross the 10K range, the suspensions are reasonably good ones.

Anyway, avoiding them is also good, since they absorb the energy which other wise help the cycle to roll much further distance

Keep us updated about your buying.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:30   #651
Senior - BHPian

bblost, if you're talking about purchase, you need to get back to BZ

like VK says, at that budget, the suspensions are nothing to write home about
Old 27th May 2011, 23:30   #652
BHPian

Am not sure if am allowed to post external links , please pardon if any rules are being violated .

Heres a useful link to get prices for a lot of biikes :
The Bike Affair - Home
Old 28th May 2011, 11:21   #653
BHPian

Quote:
I want a cycle that meets the following specs.

Gears. As I live in Hyderabad and a couple of lovely inclines on my office route.
No Suspension. Not in the front nor in the rear.
The quick release front wheel. I want the ability to transport my cycle in my Wagon R. Also to carry it with me into my home. Since I live in rented premises. This ability is very important. So if tomorrow I shift to apartments, I don't want the cycle in the common parking.
Hybrid tires.: I assume these make life a lot easier.
Stainless Steel. My weight means a strong frame is gonna be important. Will aluminium work for me.

Budget. Anything under 15k should be good. Will be very happy if its closer to 10k.

Can I buy any cycle I want and mod it for the quick release system when I want.
Or is it something that needs more than just an axle change?
The Bike Affair - Home
This will help for your tries in Hyd.

I suggest as per your budget, try to get a Schwinn. Track & Trail - Corporate

A firefox, RR would suggest you to go for it when you have least options available.

Cheers.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:54   #654
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
Im getting back to cycling after many years. I used to put in 60kms everyday once upon a time for over 10 years.
Im 6ft tall about 80kgs. I do have this thing for 'just riding on' and once i start im quite sure I will put in a lot of kms eventually.
I dont want to spend too much money on the bike, since im getting started. Im not used to gears either and Im not sure if I should buy a geared cycle.
Please suggest a suitable cycle to ride in the city(Bombay). i prefer the MTB design to the racing cycle design. Cheap and durable. Advice on where I can find one in Bombay will be of additional help.
Also, would prefer if the bike is not too heavy, since I will carry it up 12 floors of stairs to my residence via the staircase.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 28th May 2011 at 12:02.
Old 29th May 2011, 23:18   #655
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Are you a member?
Sorry for the late reply.

No I am not a member. But have taken the form to our company guys. Will be one soon.

I have some friends who can help in the meanwhile.

And didn't make it to Decathalon on Friday. The search is on.

Anyone here know how the shop is at Marathahalli, Bangalore. The one that is on the side of the ramp while coming up Innovative Multiplex side.?

He had quite a few Schwins and others.
Old 30th May 2011, 00:03   #656
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Anyone here know how the shop is at Marathahalli, Bangalore. The one that is on the side of the ramp while coming up Innovative Multiplex side.?

I was there last Sunday - if the shopkeeper has something you like, the relationship will look good. If you express dislike or reject everything he has the attitude will turn indifferent designed to conceal passive hostility. Yes but he has a range you might like. check it out.

No offer was made to show any catalog and see what I liked, no offer was made to procure and provide something I might like - considering that a shop only stocks 50% of the entire range in the catalog. In fact this was the story at ALL cycle shops in commercial street side as well. Instant gratification is what shopekeepers seek.

Then I took a left from the ramp and just before the big shopping mall and across the road is another cycle shop on the 1st floor.

I pointed at a model I liked and expressed dissatisfaction that the model didnt have front shocks. "You want front shocks sir? NP I will give you .. cost 1200/-". then I asked about gears and the reply was "You want gears? NP I will give you .. cost 1800/-". Atleast he was offering to customize what I wanted. The chaps name is Rehman. Knows the importance of being earnest.

I picked up a Hercules Thriller from him on Wednesday this past week. Will post some pics and discuss some problems with the custom gears tomorrow.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 30th May 2011 at 00:05.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 09:10   #657
BHPian

Quote:

And didn't make it to Decathalon on Friday. The search is on.
During Week end I have been to RR International cycles at Madiwala, exactly opposite to Madiwala Ayyappa Temple. There seem to be another RR cycles near the same visinity, it is the same side as ayyappa temple, pl note.

RR International seem to be good and have stock of almost all brands incl BTwin, Trek, Schwin etc. He also deals with regular brands.

For a comparison sake I enquired the price of BTwin RR 5.1 and quote was 9999 - which was comparable to Decathlon price of 9499 (12499 MRP).

They also have all accessories like Helmet, Headlights, Mudguards etc.

Hence I would suggest you please check there as well.

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 10:43   #658
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I was there last Sunday - if the shopkeeper has something you like, the relationship will look good.
Got a similar feedback from someone else too. Looks like he wont be liking a straight talking guy. I will try my luck anyways.

Quote:
Then I took a left from the ramp and just before the big shopping mall and across the road is another cycle shop on the 1st floor.
I have been there. I get off the bus here and mostly go to this store and look around. He doesn't mind me loitering around and looking at the cycles.

Thanks Ragul, will speak to him as a customer now.

Quote:
During Week end I have been to RR International cycles at Madiwala, exactly opposite to Madiwala Ayyappa Temple. There seem to be another RR cycles near the same visinity, it is the same side as ayyappa temple, pl note.
RR International, thats the name me and Ragul above are talking about. So there are two shops at that Junction. Thanks will have a look here too.

And thanks for that compare, I will make a note of the prices and compare.

Again thanks guys, huge lot of help you guys have been through the pms and the posts here.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:02   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
The RR Cycles is the one in Marathahalli too. I think Ramesh is the contact person.

I did not like the attitude with these guys as you may have noticed. But thinking of visiting again to check out bikes for my son soon.

P.S. I have a feeling that RR International is basically from same person but for the imported bikes. Just guessing

Last edited by mjothi : 30th May 2011 at 13:03.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:32   #660
BHPian

An update on Decathlon Bangalore:
I was at Decathlon Sarjapur Rd Bangalore today morning for the first free service of my bike, which is now run over 450 KM after purchase on April 11th 2011. Even though there was no issues faced I thought 450 km running was good enough to do the first service and wanted to utilise the free service available and do checkup/adjustment of cables and Gear systems mainly. Fixed an appointment for today morning, and took the bike there. Sanjay (who is well known, reputed and himself a core biker) is the service in charge and is well regarded for his skills and knowledge on bikes. He is also going to France in July for his training at BTwin France. He asked me if I am facing any issues, checked my bike and said it is in perfect condition and I dont need to do the service now, instead use for another month and come back in July first week for first free service - first service interval is 3 months hence he is right. He was really courteous, personal attention was given and advised the best course of action. I really appreciate that. This was one main reason for me selecting the bike from Decathlon, as the other shops/malls where I have been to for enquiring for bikes, they either didnt know about bikes, models and techniques, and many didnt even offer any service or parts. Many of them mentioned that no need for service, you can do it yourself if something is required, and take it to any cycle repair shop.

I know Decathlon service is expensive, but still I can rely on them when I face some real serious issue with parts on my BTwin bike. Always DIY and other options are also there.

I also checked the availability of RR 5.0 and 5.1 and their pricing, RR 5.0 is available at 6999 INR for members, RR 5.1 is out of stock, Sanjay mentioned that it is selling like 'hot cakes'. RR 5.1 pricing is 9499 for Decathlon members.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks