Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 12:54   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Lohith,

You need to get your priorities absolutely straight. This won't work.

If you wish to lose weight - you need to train. Which means distances - best done on a roadie or atleast a hybrid
If you wish to go on trails - you need an MTB but you're basically not training then. Offroad you can't sustain the right heart rate to burn fat because its in fits & starts!

SO basically u need 2 bikes to start with. Ref: Rule 12: Velominati Here's another link on how it is in real life: http://i.imgur.com/6RZiF.jpg

And please - ACT109 is crap. ACT110 is the only useful cycle in that series and it comes in one size. And has niggling quality issues so you're better off with 12-13k minimum.

See Hero or Hercules - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community for a parallel example of going just that extra bit.

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th July 2011 at 12:59.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:24   #872
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If your intention is to lose weight buy an MTB. A RR 5.0 or RR5.1 would be perfect.
Not at all. Why specifically a MTB? You can lose weight with any bike.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:31   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Not at all. Why specifically a MTB? You can lose weight with any bike.
I guess bblost meant if lohith is interested only in losing weight and not doing long distances then MTB is an option.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:08   #874
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the feedbacks guys,.

Now a new question arise, cant we use MTB's for long rides? am not in favor of using a road bike the reason some indian roads are nothing more then rough trials...

Phamilyman, would like to know the weakness of Act 109, it is to the heavier side but any other issues with the bike?

Any other bikes in the lines of Act109?
Old 28th July 2011, 15:27   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Now a new question arise, cant we use MTB's for long rides? am not in favor of using a road bike the reason some indian roads are nothing more then rough trials...
MTB can be compared to a SUV, can take any trail but are not known for it fuel economy. So, if you are on a MTB, you will have to expend more energy to reach the same distance than what you would spend in a road bike(similar to a sports car with low GC and meant only for good roads) or hybrid.

Hybrid is compromise between road bike & MTB.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 15:37   #876
BHPian

On the note about MTBs, Hybrids, Road bikes etc, in my view it is based on personality preference of individuals. I always used to feel like the saying 'grass is greener on the other side' :-)

We must buy and ride bike that we like and fall in love with, help you keep riding on and on. It must also 'fit' you properly, so size etc matters a lot.

I am an MTB person, I believe, and so far not changed that stand. Right now, I dont think I will as well.

Also I have personally seen, more than a handful of my known cycling friends who had hybrids / roadbikes (trek, schwinns, act 110 plus etc) either changed or bought additional MTB bikes after a few 1000 KM rides. They had bought their bikes initially with other's recommendations and then their interests / personality came out strongly I believe.

But we all know that for long distances, MTBs arent the best suited really.

So if we have all the money, rather than buying a hybrid, buy a 'best' MTB and a 'best' road bike :-)

EDIT: There you go, for my above line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Hybrid is compromise between road bike & MTB.
Cheers
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 28th July 2011 at 15:40.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 15:42   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Phamilyman, would like to know the weakness of Act 109, it is to the heavier side but any other issues with the bike?

Any other bikes in the lines of Act109?
i found a good article/buyers guide

BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST
ms001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 15:46   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
I guess bblost meant if lohith is interested only in losing weight and not doing long distances then MTB is an option.
But how is that? How is it the perfect option?

Quote:

Primarily the weight and the low end components. what's the point really?

You need to try the bikes before u think only MTBs can be used for long rides - think again. hybrids can do just well. check with Anvith Ks is a cyclist from Belgaum, IN | dailymile for instance.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:54   #879
Senior - BHPian

ms & Narayanan, thanks for the feedback.

Am quiet clear on MTB, only thing now is i need to find out if ACt109 is worth else i need to look for an option.

Any good MTB's in 10-15k bracket?

Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 15:59   #880
Senior - BHPian

Weight should not be an issue, i had a hero hawk long back and used to hate that cycle on bad surface. infact thats one of the reasons i stopped cycling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

You need to try the bikes before u think only MTBs can be used for long rides - think again. hybrids can do just well. check with Anvith Ks is a cyclist from Belgaum, IN | dailymile for instance.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:08   #881
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
On the note about MTBs, Hybrids, Road bikes etc, in my view it is based on personality preference of individuals. I always used to feel like the saying 'grass is greener on the other side' :-)

We must buy and ride bike that we like and fall in love with, help you keep riding on and on. It must also 'fit' you properly, so size etc matters a lot.

I am an MTB person, I believe, and so far not changed that stand. Right now, I dont think I will as well.

Also I have personally seen, more than a handful of my known cycling friends who had hybrids / roadbikes (trek, schwinns, act 110 plus etc) either changed or bought additional MTB bikes after a few 1000 KM rides. They had bought their bikes initially with other's recommendations and then their interests / personality came out strongly I believe.

But we all know that for long distances, MTBs arent the best suited really.

So if we have all the money, rather than buying a hybrid, buy a 'best' MTB and a 'best' road bike :-)

EDIT: There you go, for my above line.

Cheers
narayanang76
What percentage of your riding is on road versus off road?
Old 28th July 2011, 16:24   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
What percentage of your riding is on road versus off road?
Thats the point I am talking about, I didnt buy my bike with any such plan. Neither monitoring my usage of my bike, but it is more towards on tarmac. But it brings a smile on my face when I hit the non-tarmac roads, bad roads (many near the place I ride), it feels like 'at home'.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:40   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

You are right, it's not the perfect option, that's why I said he meant...
Old 28th July 2011, 17:59   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Weight should not be an issue, i had a hero hawk long back and used to hate that cycle on bad surface. infact thats one of the reasons i stopped cycling..
Try this on for size:
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Buying a GT Aggressor 1.0.....comments please!
Please upgrade your budget to 18k and get the Revel 1V (as VKalia says in the above link - components over frames at the entry level anyday)

Go with the logic I had here:
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - YAWBT MTB, Hybrids, MLH, Spiti and all that.

That tells u why the REvel (equivalent to the Merida 40V) over the (sub) entry level stuff like ACT109.

As for now - I have shod it with slicks and ride it only with slicks, including 9km of lunar landscape (Sohna road) everyday. Not the least issue! Yes, I don't do offroads but the fact remains that on proper trails (esp when dry - 90% of the time in Delhi) you still get 1-11 punctures depending on luck. So let me atleast enjoy on tarmac properly.

Hence I got the slicks and hence I recommend the hybrid.

As for good MTB instead of a "compromise" hybrid bike - good MTBs begin at 35k. If you must buy a good enough MTB (the 15-20k budget variety) then buy a hybrid instead - far more usable and just as fun!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 18:06   #885
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Hitanshu, thats quiet a lot of info, i will dig through and get to the conclusion. planning to pick the bike asap.

thanks again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks