Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 18:47   #961
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I've been cycling for a couple of months on On & Off basis. I used to do a daily run of 14 kms from Kothapet - L. B. Nagar X Roads - Nagole X Roads - Kothapet. The only problem I face is the pain in the lower back and "You Know What". I really don't know if it is due to that small seat of my bicycle. Is there any option to ease the pain in the regions mentioned?

This is the bike I use.
The Bicycles thread-k10zoom.jpg
Old 20th September 2011, 19:15   #962
BANNED

Bought a Hercules Rodeo about 4 months back .It comes with front and rear gears .Disc Upfront .Drums at rear . Done about 1000kms as of now . A 65 kms every weekend of the whole outer ring road is what i am able to do .It costed me INR 10,000/- as i thought spares would be easily available in Delhi for same . I went for thick tyres as i wanted to make sure while i pedal i push the hardest instead of slim tyres which requires less effort . I want to upgrade to a better bike with better brakes soon as sometimes i find myself ruuning too fast in traffic jams (have fun) but have to abruptly stop and find i cannot downshift like my car LOL.
Old 20th September 2011, 21:38   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I've been cycling for a couple of months on On & Off basis. I used to do a daily run of 14 kms from Kothapet - L. B. Nagar X Roads - Nagole X Roads - Kothapet. The only problem I face is the pain in the lower back and "You Know What". I really don't know if it is due to that small seat of my bicycle. Is there any option to ease the pain in the regions mentioned?

This is the bike I use.
Need a pic of your bike. Pain is usually due to sizing issue. I am not an expert on this by any stretch of imagination. But anyone who can help, will need a pic of your bike.

Small seat should not be a cause of pain. The idea is to support the sit bones. These small seats are designed to support the bones and not pinch the muscle/ nerves etc.

You can try the cycling shorts as they have some extra support in the form of a pad.

A friend of mine uses Nike Pro Combat shorts. He finds them very comfortable.

But they are no substitute for cycling shorts.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:29   #964
BHPian

Quote:

This is the bike I use.
Attachment 612634
Your seat is set way too low. Refer this for help.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 22:51   #965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
non-QR axle for wheels or for the seat? I personally find it a bad idea. I'd go with the chainlock anyday.
I agree. Unless one is paranoid of losing them, there is no point in replacing the QR.

About the diet.

In the case of a commuter like me, my daily calorie burn as per dailymile for the distance and weight combination is around 1k a day.

I don't think I need to add anything to my meals to recover this 1k.
There is more than enough stock in my body to meet this need.

I remember reading that a pound of fat would translate to about 2200 calories.
Old 21st September 2011, 07:04   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two possible issues:
a. The bike is setup wrong. If its as per the image, it is WRONG. This puts a pressure on the lower half/butt.
b. Even after setup, it doesn't fit.

Honestly, you should've bought a modern foreign made bike like the schwinn for a few grand more or even RR5.0 - the K10 is not too bad but not good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Bought a Hercules Rodeo about 4 months back .It comes with front and rear gears .Disc Upfront .Drums at rear . Done about 1000kms as of now . A 65 kms every weekend of the whole outer ring road is what i am able to do .It costed me INR 10,000/- as i thought spares would be easily available in Delhi for same . I went for thick tyres as i wanted to make sure while i pedal i push the hardest instead of slim tyres which requires less effort . I want to upgrade to a better bike with better brakes soon as sometimes i find myself ruuning too fast in traffic jams (have fun) but have to abruptly stop and find i cannot downshift like my car LOL.
Honest to god, you bought a clunker for 10 grand. Piece of **** for God's sake. Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone & PedalYatri | FreeRiding

I quote again:
Quote:
There are a couple of things that one should always bear in mind
when purchasing a bike. The first is: Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick any two. If it's cheap, it
might be light but not strong. And if it is strong it wont be light...
The second is: F= Ma. So the heavier the bike, the more force (i.e.
muscle power) will be required. Especially when going up some of the
rather extreme hills in the Aravalis.
Obviously it becomes a compromise as not everyone has the luxury to afford the best and lightest specced bike. But the big mistake a lot of people make when buying new is to be impressed & influenced by the peripherals like suspensions and brakes. It's like deciding to buy a car based on the sound system rather than the engine and chassis. It's not necessarily wrong but it may not be the right reason to buy it. There is nothing wrong with rim brakes (in fact they work just as well, are more reliable and more serviceable) and dual suspension is a luxury for extreme downhill racers. A 21 speed is really limiting your ratios; 24 is the least you should look for.
I don't know the bike in question but a dual suspension MTB with disc brakes for Rs8k... it's likely to be a clunker. Which is fine for pootling down to the shops once a month but will make some of the Pedalyatri rides a bit more challenging than they need to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I agree. Unless one is paranoid of losing them, there is no point in replacing the QR.

About the diet.

In the case of a commuter like me, my daily calorie burn as per dailymile for the distance and weight combination is around 1k a day.

I don't think I need to add anything to my meals to recover this 1k.
There is more than enough stock in my body to meet this need.

I remember reading that a pound of fat would translate to about 2200 calories.
oh btw this whole dailymile calculation is off by 20-30% mostly. I've seen the difference in numbers of what garmin aided BZers post and what I post - but yes, enough calories are still being burnt.

and i'm not saying overeat 2 pizzas because u cycled 5km. More like a pizza after 40km doesn't hurt!
Old 21st September 2011, 09:56   #967
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the input.

Based on all feedback and after riding the BTWIN Forme 1 Flat Bar & RockRider5.0, I realised that I need a road bike. Even the thin tyres were passing on quitea bit of the undulations, I liked the ease of riding that.

So atleast one dilemma is over. Need a road bike. Going to look at ACT110 today and decide.

BTW can someone how to use the gears in 3X7 geared bike?

And what the heck is Cadence?

Cheers
Old 21st September 2011, 10:59   #968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Based on all feedback and after riding the BTWIN Forme 1 Flat Bar & RockRider5.0, I realised that I need a road bike. Even the thin tyres were passing on quitea bit of the undulations, I liked the ease of riding that.

So atleast one dilemma is over. Need a road bike. Going to look at ACT110 today and decide.

Cheers
ACT 110 is not a road bike. If you are riding it after riding the Btwin, I doubt you will like it. I have not ridden the btwin, but the brand is superior to Hercules.

Cadence is the number of times you turn the pedals. Sort of like the tacho meter on an engine. But here its the number of times your pedals go around.

A high cadence will help prevent knee injury.

The gears 3*7 means that the front has 3 options and the rear has 7.
But it does not mean you have 21 options.
The chain must never get into a diagonal move but remain as parallel to the frame as possible.

This means you don't use a small number with a big number.
i.e. 1 with 8 is bad idea as is 3 with 1.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:10   #969
Senior - BHPian

Google my man.

You want a hybrid or a road?

Hybrid = 15-20k budget ideally.
Road = 40k upwards

Google up some more: Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone & PedalYatri | FreeRiding - has Vandit's link. Read it again.

Go to krish and ride a road bike and then we'll see what your heart says!

Quote:

Cheers
Old 21st September 2011, 12:07   #970
Senior - BHPian

Damn all you people

Isn't there a sport for the poor soul like me :(

Went and saw the Schwinn Sporterra, Bianchi and Canondale.

And the Sporterra is for 14,980. And the BTWIN for 12990/-

Money wise the BTWIN wins hands down. Another thing I liked is the straight bar in the frame compared to the slightly diagonal on the Schwinn.

Money part aside, which one would you guys suggest out of the two ?

Cheers
Old 21st September 2011, 14:25   #971
BANNED

Quote:
Isn't there a sport for the poor soul like me :(
Sumo Wrestling

Quote:
Went and saw the Schwinn Sporterra, Bianchi and Canondale.
Do this. Buy the bike which you "like" from the above. Primarily like means - comfortable and affordable in that order.

"If" you get hooked to this in the future. Trust me that 2-3k difference will be insignificant then.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 16:41   #972
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Got myself a BTWIN Forme1 Flat BAR

The Bicycles thread-20110922-16.34.23.jpg

The regimen starts from tomorrow

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 21st September 2011 at 16:56.
Old 21st September 2011, 17:44   #973
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the club.

A front mudgard is more important.

Does it matter more if the muck/mud from the road ends up on your face or on your backside ?

Front QR is open/wrong!

EDIT: Presta valves? Have you bought a presta/schrader adapter? The valves look THIN!

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st September 2011 at 17:45.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 18:09   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the club.
Thanks
Quote:
A front mudgard is more important.
Does it matter more if the muck/mud from the road ends up on your face or on your backside ?
I know. They were out of stock and will be getting it soon.
Quote:
Front QR is open/wrong!
Its open and intentional. Was about to put it into the car.
Quote:
EDIT: Presta valves? Have you bought a presta/schrader adapter? The valves look THIN!
Yes they have a special pump. Will be buying it shortly.

I'm already 5K over budget . Will take some time !
Old 21st September 2011, 18:30   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Have you bought a presta/schrader adapter? The valves look THIN!
This is surely OT, but just wanted to post it here: Phamilyman, your mere mention of Schrader has kind of reminded me of my dad. He used to work for Schrader till he was here. I've childhood memories of playing with Schrader Valves, trying to make some thing or the other with those Valves. Apologies for going OT, but just wanted to share what I had in my mind.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks