Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 21:05   #976
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

@MC: congrats. The bike looks very neat.

I don't use fenders on my bike. The rear has a carrier installed so it kinds of blocks some muck.

However, I usually (95% of the time) don't encounter any water on my route.

Sign up on dailymile. Its an excellent site to enter your workout statistics. You can use its route feature to get the distance you traveled. Plus you can integrate it with gps devices as well.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 21:46   #977
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The regimen starts from tomorrow Cheers
AWESOME!!!

Good choice and looks quite good.

Your trekking friends are going to miss you now though.

Get full mudguards front and back. They are available for this type.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:43   #978
BANNED

@phamilyman : I am well aware of what you said here before i went out to buy .
But as i understood my priority here was burning maximum and not travelling longer . But yes in future if I get going for Delhi- Ladakh On Bicycle definitely i will keep you updated :-)

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 21st September 2011 at 23:44.
Old 21st September 2011, 23:52   #979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
But as i understood my priority here was burning maximum and not travelling longer .
You could have instead got those ankle weights and worn them the whole day. Why spend so much on a cycle? Even an in house Exercycle could have done the job.

Weight loss and cycling are two different things. Cycling for weight loss only though is not the right way to lose weight.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:57   #980
BANNED

@spitfire : I was expecting this .Or like my sister says stop eating why even spend there if you just wanna loose weight .
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:00   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Got myself a BTWIN Forme1 Flat BAR
Ani Congratulations for joining the Bicycle club.Now this revives me to start pedaling on my bicycles to get back into shape.I will join you over the weekend.
My Bicycle collection is below:
- Hercules MTB
- BSA SLR
- BSA Foldman
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-bicycle-consolidation.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2011, 00:06   #982
BANNED

Quote:
@spitfire : I was expecting this.
No there is more to this. If you are overweight and are cycling only to lose weight. Then it can create more issues. I saw this in friends who did exactly that. Your back, knees is already stretched out due to the excess weight. A physical workout and a cardio one like cycling is not recommended until a certain stage of fitness is reached.

Look out for signs that could point to any of the above. Cycling helps lose weight but cycling only to lose weight will not get you far.

Walking instead is much much better to only lose weight instead.

Walk for the same time you cycle instead. Your weight will come down faster.

Last edited by Spitfire : 22nd September 2011 at 00:14.
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:47   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No there is more to this. If you are overweight and are cycling only to lose weight. Then it can create more issues. I saw this in friends who did exactly that. Your back, knees is already stretched out due to the excess weight. A physical workout and a cardio one like cycling is not recommended until a certain stage of fitness is reached.

Look out for signs that could point to any of the above. Cycling helps lose weight but cycling only to lose weight will not get you far.

Walking instead is much much better to only lose weight instead.

Walk for the same time you cycle instead. Your weight will come down faster.
As someone in exactly the same spot who ate heartily and just cycled to lose 10 kg (and then gained it back while injured) - I completely disagree. IMNSHO, your knees are at far more stress walking than cycling. Ditto for back. I fell from cycle twice injuring the soft tissue in the joint (Nov/Jan), and had herniated discs act up again (in March). Absolutely unrelated to cycling and cycling was the only painless activity I could carry out. For about Jan-Apr, I could not walk down stairs at all, at max - only 1 flight. But I could cycle 60-80km without a twinge of pain. Go figure!!

So, atleast YMMV.

Quote:
But as i understood my priority here was burning maximum and not travelling longer . But yes in future if I get going for Delhi- Ladakh On Bicycle definitely i will keep you updated :-)
Sorry but Junk is junk. Its like buying an ambassador on a whim. 10k could've gotten you RR5, or 2k more would've gotten u Schwinn sporterra or frontier for god's sakes. Look at it this way - a swift, though immense fun on hill twisties, shows its mettle even in the 12km commute to work. Roadeo shows its metal at every stage. Ride on and once you're tired and ready to see the light, we'll be here.

/I've cycled 6 months on a Hero MTB (single speed) in 2007 so i have an idea of what is junk.

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd September 2011 at 06:52.
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:55   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that "Quality" of bike does not matter unless you are doing really long runs on a daily basis.

I was in NY for 5 months recently. Picked up a 120$ no-name Chinese bike on a whim. It worked like a charm and helped me do 5 -6 laps in central park every day. Each lap is 10 mile.

So, pick up anything that you fancy and DO pick up something that motivates you. In my case, it was Nokia sports tracker that showed miles done every day.

Cycle that I got:
The Bicycles thread-cycle1.jpg
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:49   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I agree that "Quality" of bike does not matter unless you are doing really long runs on a daily basis.

I was in NY for 5 months recently. Picked up a 120$ no-name Chinese bike on a whim. It worked like a charm and helped me do 5 -6 laps in central park every day. Each lap is 10 mile.

So, pick up anything that you fancy and DO pick up something that motivates you. In my case, it was Nokia sports tracker that showed miles done every day.

Cycle that I got:
Awesome. So you did 50-60 miles (80-90km) daily on that bike? The setup is a bit wrong for that much distance daily, specifically the seat.

And before giving grandiose words of encouragement to our man, please stop and see what bike he had. All bikes are not made equal.
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:56   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The setup is a bit wrong for that much distance daily, specifically the seat.
It was awful, got bearable after using a gel seat cover.

Quote:
And before giving grandiose words of encouragement to our man, please stop and see what bike he had. All bikes are not made equal.
Yes these are not. But bike is just one part of equation. If he really gets enough motivation to get up early morning for rides, he would be buying a better one in few months. First couple of weeks are awful till body gets used to "real" work (referring to cubicle workers like me).

What I am trying to say is, start with whatever you can lay your hands on. If you like the experience you will upgrade.
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:04   #987
Team-BHP Support

@NetfreakBombay: I don't agree with your reasoning.

My first day on the cycle was difficult. I took it straight to office. 10 km trip in hilly terrain.
Had to walk in 2-3 places.
I was cycling after a break of over 13 years.

The next day, the ride was within acceptable limits of discomfort.

I also think gel seats are BAD. The end up taking pressure of the sit bones and can end up putting on nerves and blood vessels.
Gel seats are like a band aid fix and I don't consider it a good idea.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:08   #988
Senior - BHPian

Your logic is completely fallacious and doesn't work. I've seen enough folks in my PedalYatri group to not buy that at all. For the majority - spending a trivial 2-5k more can get them a bike which is actually fun and joyful to ride, than a clunker like Roadeo.

Did you upgrade your bike there, despite doing 80-90km per day?

By the way, the 80-90km/day sounds too good to believe. You should be on dailymile.

Log in | dailymile - among the millions of people there - the guys with the MOST distance logged, only 5 have 13000+km logged in 9 months - all on costly roadbikes. But with your 2400-2700km/month statistic, you would have been number one on this leaderboard! Inspite of a $120 chinese bike!
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:29   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My first day on the cycle was difficult. I took it straight to office. 10 km trip in hilly terrain.
The next day, the ride was within acceptable limits of discomfort.
Maybe I was in a worse shape. But for me, it took 3 days to do just 2 laps ( ~20 KM) and around 10 days to increase that to 5. On day 1, I had to take a shortcut before first lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I also think gel seats are BAD. The end up taking pressure of the sit bones and can end up putting on nerves and blood vessels.
Gel seats are like a band aid fix and I don't consider it a good idea.
Yes, it is a band aid. But I was there for just 5 months and could not spend more on a "temp" bike.

Quote:
By the way, the 80-90km/day sounds too good to believe. You should be on dailymile.
I am on everytrail. It has nice charts and stats to keep you motivated. Will see if I can anonymize to pose trips here.

Quote:
Did you upgrade your bike there, despite doing 80-90km per day?
Yes, got a better when I returned. Its a Raleigh, got it for 12k. Much better (and more comfortable) that the one I had but obviously costs more than twice.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 22nd September 2011 at 17:38.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:11   #990
Senior - BHPian

My Initial Experiences

After getting back home last night, decided to give the bike a try. I was riding a bike after may be 14 years. Even though I would rode bike's in between none of them would have been for more than 100-200 Metres at one shot.

Courtesy the rumour of fuel pumps going on an indefinite strike there was massive traffic snarls on the roads and I initially rode very hesitantly through the traffic but I think I did a bit of distance.

People familiar with Hyderabad will understand this route (SomajiGuda Circle - Necklace Road Station on Raj Bhawan Road - Cross over to Necklace Road - End of Necklace road - Prasadz Round About - Necklace Road Station - Back to Raj Bhawan Road and back

Edit: Through Rudimentary Method found out that I did about 13.5Kms yesterday

Today rode from somajiguda Circle to KBR Park entrance. The 2.5 Kms from Nagarjuna Circle to KBR Entrance are totally uphill and takes the life of one's legs. I was 805 of the time pedalling on 1-1 Gear combi so you know how bad was it. But the ride back was heavenly. I think I touched 60KMPH. Overtook a bike

Edit: Again using the same rudimentary method calculated that I did 12 Kms.

I have setup my account on DailyMile but as I don't have a GPS, can't log the Kms done. Need to get them soon.

But like all my vehicles, looks like the Bike will also be ready for its 1st Servicing / Running In after check of 100 Kms within the first week itself.

Cheers

P.S: My bum is aching but I guess it will have to ache some more as there is nomoney to buy the following items:
Cadence Metre - 3K
Cycling Shorts -1K
GPS Watch or Phone to use EndoMondo/Dailymile: - 10K
Bike front light - No Idea
Bike tail lamp - No Idea

P.P.S: This world doesn't want poor people to stay healthy

Last edited by MileCruncher : 22nd September 2011 at 18:19.

Most Viewed