Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:06   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, got a better when I returned. Its a Raleigh, got it for 12k. Much better (and more comfortable) that the one I had but obviously costs more than twice.
Do share your everytrail links. i have a login methinks.

and for 12k, you could've got something far better than raleigh - like sporterra. Pity. But as long as you're happy.
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:20   #992
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Initial Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Maybe I was in a worse shape. But for me, it took 3 days to do just 2 laps ( ~20 KM) and around 10 days to increase that to 5. On day 1, I had to take a shortcut before first lap.
There is a concept of too much distance, too soon into cycling.
IMHO You are lucky you did not suffer any injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have setup my account on DailyMile but as I don't have a GPS, can't log the Kms done. Need to get them soon.
You don't need GPS to get the distance reading on dailymile.
Simply use the map feature. You can create your own route. Its fairly intuitive and I have started preferring this to google maps.
Old 25th September 2011, 15:43   #993
BHPian

Just bought a B twin Hoptown 20''. This is a folding model and is easy to carry in the car. The reason behind buying this was that though it would be my daily ride, the kids could also use when we go out on trips. Quite happy with the bike and though it has only 7 speeds, I found going up inclines fairly comfortable. Though the wheels are small, the oversize crank ensures that the pedal RPM to wheel rotation ratio is the same as a regular bike.
The bike comes fully loaded! Fenders, rear carrier, bungee cords, bell, front and rear lights and side stand. The only extra needed was a lock.
I'd like to mount my Etrex GPS on the handle bar - any ideas as to how this can be done?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-4.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-45931487r9p.jpg  

Last edited by John : 25th September 2011 at 15:55.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:09   #994
BHPian

Ok, here I come up with the most weirdest question of all. It's been 3 months since have had this bicycle. I am still unable to get the hand of the Gear System of this cycle. I would love to know more about the gear shifting system. My bicycle says that it has 21 gears and I see that it has 3 on the front and 7 on the rear. I just take out the bicycle and ride it by shifting one gear or two and continue riding the same way. Now, in which circumstance, which gear do I shift to? If you could guide me with this, it shall help me a lot.
Second, due to recent rains, there seems to be some rust forming on a couple of parts, is there any servicing center in Hyderabad, where I can take it for overall servicing? I really do not want to go to the Bicycle guy around the corner as I really do not know, how well versed he would be with these geared cycles. I once went to a roadside vendor to get my Avenger's Flat Tire reparied and he ended up screwing everything up. I had to haul a rickshaw to take it to my mechanic. I do not wish to repeat this again with this. Suggest a good Bicycle Service Guy around Abids/Kothi area, so that I can haul my bike easily to that place.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:33   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Ok, here I come up with the most weirdest question of all. It's been 3 months since have had this bicycle. I am still unable to get the hand of the Gear System of this cycle. I would love to know more about the gear shifting system. My bicycle says that it has 21 gears and I see that it has 3 on the front and 7 on the rear. I just take out the bicycle and ride it by shifting one gear or two and continue riding the same way. Now, in which circumstance, which gear do I shift to? If you could guide me with this, it shall help me a lot.
Even though there 3 front and 7 rear gears you cannot use all the combinations. You need to keep the chain as parallel as possible to the frame.
Combinations possible are
  1. Front 1 Rear 1-3
  2. Front 2 Rear 3-5
  3. Front 3 Rear 5-7

Also the higher you move the faster you go. Ideally you should start with 2x4 or 2x5.

Front 1 is the smallest crank and you need it while pedalling uphill as it has the least pedalling force required.

Hope its clear now.

Quote:
Second, due to recent rains, there seems to be some rust forming on a couple of parts, is there any servicing center in Hyderabad, where I can take it for overall servicing? I really do not want to go to the Bicycle guy around the corner as I really do not know, how well versed he would be with these geared cycles. I once went to a roadside vendor to get my Avenger's Flat Tire reparied and he ended up screwing everything up. I had to haul a rickshaw to take it to my mechanic. I do not wish to repeat this again with this. Suggest a good Bicycle Service Guy around Abids/Kothi area, so that I can haul my bike easily to that place.
Take it to the guy you bought it from as Bikes also have 1-5 year warranties.
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 15:24   #996
BHPian

Quote:
3 gears in front and 7 at the back. You can use either of the front gears with each of the rear gears. So 21 gears in total. But as milecruncher also posted, keeping the chain as parallel to the frame is most efficient.

Which gear to use depends on the gradient of the road you are riding on. It is best to keep your cadence (number of revolutions per minute of the crank) as constant as possible. The ideal cadence for each person differs, but cadence of 90 to 95 is usually recommended.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:32   #997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Front 1 is the smallest crank and you need it while pedalling uphill as it has the least pedalling force required.
I cycled up Durgam Chevuru today morning on my way to office.
Doing 1-1 for some part of the stretch.

The first time I used this combination.
Had decided that I will not stand up and cycle.

While downhills are so much more fun, uphills are the most satisfying.
I just need bigger lungs and smaller waist line.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:16   #998
BHPian

Can we all network together in dailymile? I find it really helpful
a. to log your training and more importantly
b. seeing each other's training & their experience helps to understand the sport better and is very motivating.

Search for Krishnakumar S and you will find me, please share yours.

regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 26th September 2011 at 16:33.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:36   #999
Senior - BHPian

More than networking I would suggest joining the Bicycle group of your city. Hyderabad has two groups, Hyderabad Bicycle Club and Hyderabad Cycling Club. I'm sure Chennai will also have something like that. I know there is a group called Chennai Runners.

Cheers
Old 26th September 2011, 16:52   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
More than networking I would suggest joining the Bicycle group of your city. Hyderabad has two groups, Hyderabad Bicycle Club and Hyderabad Cycling Club. I'm sure Chennai will also have something like that. I know there is a group called Chennai Runners.

Cheers
MC.. what you say is right, fortunately I am riding with a TCC (Tamilnadu Cycling Club) group regulars from day 1. Connecting with larger group who share the same passion is always helpful and hence the request.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:01   #1001
Team-BHP Support

The month of September, I cycled a total of 324 kms.
I used the cycle for 90% of my home-office trips.

Am loving it.

However the weight loss has stalled at 97-98 kilos. I am fine with it as it was never my intention. But I feel better. Much better. In fact every day as it passes seems to be making me younger and feeling healthier.
Old 1st October 2011, 23:07   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Imran..Where do you get your bicycle serviced..cycle garage near Masab Tank?
Old 1st October 2011, 23:34   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Imran..Where do you get your bicycle serviced..cycle garage near Masab Tank?
I get it serviced at the same place where I bought it from. The Bike Affair.

The mechanic there, Krishna is quite good. I like his style of working. Luckily the shop is just 3 kms or so from my office.

I also got 6 months free service as I bought my cycle from them.

However, I plan to start doing this on my own someday.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:14   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Chain less and Shaft Driven

Guys,

Finally I could put my hands on a hybrid yet completely new technology cycling, Just completed the order for a chain less (shaft driven) aluminum Dynamic brand bicycle for commuting.

Hurray, the specification is really impressive

SPECIFICATIONS

Frame
7005 Aluminum, hand-welded, hand-painted

Front Fork
RST High Travel Suspension Fork with Lockout

Gearing
Shimano Alfine 8-speed Premium internal hub (range of 21-gears)

Shifter
Shimano Alfine 8-speed Rapid Fire

Transmission
Sussex Shaft Drive System

Crankset
Dynamic Forged alloy crank arms - 170mm

Brakes
Tektro Aquila disc brakes (front & rear) with 160mm stainless steel rotors

Brake Levers
Tektro alloy 2-finger

Rims
Alex double wall alloy with 36 x 14G stainless steel spokes

Tires
Kenda 700x35C (approx 1 1/4'' wide)

Handlebar
Alloy Butted Black anodized 1" rise

Stem
Angle adjustable alloy Black anodized

Seatpost
Alloy Black anodized w/quick release clamp

Grips
Double density Ergonomic

Saddle
Velo plush with comfort channel

Includes
Water bottle cage
Frame color
Steel Blue
Frame Sizes 19"

The picture shows the bike but different snickering. Ah.. don't forget to look at the drive shaft... lol

The Bicycles thread-tempo_2010_lg.jpg

hip hip hurray!

Last edited by trammway : 6th October 2011 at 19:16.
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 20:56   #1005
Senior - BHPian

nice one bike looks awesome what is the price

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks