Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 23:19   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
OK, finally I have circled my option to Trico Iron case.

Picture taken from manufacture's website and all credits and copyrights belongs to them. Courtesy: Tricosports
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Tardis bicycle bag review-part 1 talks of Tardis
on BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Transporting Your Bike in India velo baba speaks highly of Trico Iron case - but he has an underweight bike so the bike+case fits within 20kg. Which is not the case for most of us (the second link has some DIY intercontinental dabbas as well)

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th November 2011 at 23:24.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 23:41   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Tardis bicycle bag review-part 1 talks of Tardis
on BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Transporting Your Bike in India velo baba speaks highly of Trico Iron case - but he has an underweight bike so the bike+case fits within 20kg. Which is not the case for most of us (the second link has some DIY intercontinental dabbas as well)
underweight bike? LoL
Old 29th November 2011, 06:55   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
underweight bike? LoL
yaar velo baba has a 5.8kg types bike. Mine is like 14-15 kg with the lights saddlebags, tools and all.

What else will u call his bike? anaemic?
Old 29th November 2011, 08:46   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yaar velo baba has a 5.8kg types bike. Mine is like 14-15 kg with the lights saddlebags, tools and all.

What else will u call his bike? anaemic?
ok, now that is the same issue with me as well. My bike is 16kg and trico iron case is 14kg totaling 30kg weight. The airlines only allows 23kg, hence I will be paying some good amount towards extra baggage. I think I will be able to bring down 2-3 kgs by shifting the seat, pedals and some accessories into my regular baggage.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:00   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Then you already know what you need to do - the soft case. Check how much the Ritchey breakaway (or equivalent) case costs - its not that heavy with the bike inside.
Old 6th December 2011, 21:58   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Normal ride but less than 200 metres from my home the rear tire feels funny. Flat.

My first on this bike. Had a good run for almost 1300kms. But a less than 1 cm long, as thin as hair fragment took the air out of my tire.

Had some errands at home, which needed to be done before I could attend to the bike.

Called up Phamilyman as I had some doubts. Thanks man.

Put the chain in the smallest rings at the front and rear.
Inverted the cycle and popped out the wheel.

Realized that the btwin tire lever is not needed. Phamilyman had mentioned the same.

Removed the tube and checked the tire. Found the hair like metal strip. Removed it using my pliers. Put in a new tube and 5 mins later bike is ready for tomorrow's commute.

Will get the old tube fixed and make it my spare.
Did not have any patches at home. So did not have any choice but to use the new tube.

I loved the plastic coating on the inside of the rim.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:38   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I loved the plastic coating on the inside of the rim.
A good lesson learned. Now you can venture longer distances without worrying about fixing flats

That coating(rim tape) is to avoid getting pinch flats on the inside of tube due to edges of spoke holes.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:50   #1058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
A good lesson learned. Now you can venture longer distances without worrying about fixing flats

That coating(rim tape) is to avoid getting pinch flats on the inside of tube due to edges of spoke holes.
I never really worry about flats. They are a part of life. If anything they let you enjoy the place where they occur. Once had to carry my motorcycle's tire about 3 kms. Was lucky during the return as I got a lift.

The rim tape is so much better than the rubber strip made from old tubes that I have seen before.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:21   #1059
Senior - BHPian

The left fork on my Trail 6 always had that patch of oil from day one .The dealer ( Shah Cycles in Ejipura) said its something that comes on new cycles ! I still gave him the benefit of doubt and took the bike .

But as the oil keeps on leaking ,I realised its something more than what that guy said .The left form is dirty after every ride as the dust sticks to the leaking oil .

I took the bike to the dealer ,who this time agreed that there is a problem. Have heard from TI Cycles .Lets see on what do they do ? I definitely dont want a repaired fork on a 1 month old bike !
Old 20th December 2011, 07:50   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The left fork on my Trail 6 always had that patch of oil from day one .The dealer ( Shah Cycles in Ejipura) said its something that comes on new cycles ! I still gave him the benefit of doubt and took the bike .

But as the oil keeps on leaking ,I realised its something more than what that guy said .The left form is dirty after every ride as the dust sticks to the leaking oil .

I took the bike to the dealer ,who this time agreed that there is a problem. Have heard from TI Cycles .Lets see on what do they do ? I definitely dont want a repaired fork on a 1 month old bike !
You can ask www.bumsonthesaddle,com (BOTS) guys to check it. One of the best bike shops in Bangalore.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 10:34   #1061
Senior - BHPian

yaar gasket would've leaked. cheap to fix man
Old 20th December 2011, 10:40   #1062
BHPian

Guys.. participating in Tour of Tamilnadu next week... super excited about it.... 7 days and 900 odd kilometers....

BSA Tour Of Tamilnadu

Last edited by bblost : 20th December 2011 at 11:29. Reason: No edit. But please do not post like .... this. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:34   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yaar gasket would've leaked. cheap to fix man
Updates:

Someone from TI called me and said they would look into this .When I spoke to the mechanic yesterday ,he showed me other Trail 6 bikes ,which were yet to be delivered had the same issue.Now he isnt sure if this is a problem with Trail 6 forks and its extra grease ,as he says even he noticed it yesterday when inspecting my case .

I am yet to hear from them .
Old 21st December 2011, 00:06   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Updates:

Someone from TI called me and said they would look into this .When I spoke to the mechanic yesterday ,he showed me other Trail 6 bikes ,which were yet to be delivered had the same issue.Now he isnt sure if this is a problem with Trail 6 forks and its extra grease ,as he says even he noticed it yesterday when inspecting my case .

I am yet to hear from them .
More updates

TI has been quick .They said they werent sure if this is a problem with 2012 Trail 6 bikes where there is oil seen on the fork .It seems there were other instances as well .

When they told me that they will open the fork and remove the excess oil/grease ,I immediately said I dont want a "repaired" bike .Instead I gave them an offer where I said I will pay the difference and instead buy the Trail 5 .They took their time ,but finally agreed to this .

I paid 3 k more and bought the Trail 5 ,which is much better in terms of the ride and the gear shifts .As both bikes share the same tire/rim sizes and as I have ridden these tires for some distance ,the dealer offered to agree to the upgrade only if I keep the same tires ,which was fair enough

Kudos to TI Cycles and the dealer Shah Cycles for agreeing to my conditions
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:30   #1065
BHPian

I was thinking about putting this down for quite some time so here it goes.
If you are a first time buyer, I strongly suggest reading this first BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST

This writeup is about bike shops I have visited and dealt with. First three shops deal with bikes upwards of ~15K only.

BOTS (Bums On The Saddle), Jayanagar
www.bumsonthesaddle.com
blog@BumsOnTheSaddle.com - Home
Deals with brands such as Trek/Canondale/Gary Fisher/Giant/Bianchi/Schwinn etc
The guys running the place are regular cyclists themselves and know their stuff. Bikes are sold at MRP but that is made up with top class bike fitting and after sales service. They also conduct many events to get people into cycling. They also ship accessories in some cases.

Wheelsports, Chamrajpet
Best Cycle Store in Bangalore*|*Wheelsports
Deals with brands such as KHS/Fuji/BMC/Merida/Canondale etc
Run by Venky, an ex national team cyclist and assisted by Naveen who is starting his professional cycling career.
Very good bike fitting and after sales service. and you may get some discount on previous years model or new launches. They also import high end bike(read 1L and above) on special order. They also ships bikes across India in some cases.

Pedals and Wheels, Malleshwaram
Pedals N Wheels
Deals with brands such as Orbea/KHS/Giant etc
Run by Sachin a cyclist himself and knows his stuff. Good service and support just bike BOTS and WS.

Decathlon, Sarjapur Road
Decathlon Sports Shop India : Sports equipment, clothing and footwear. Buy Online and Sports store Decathlon India
You can buy from Decathlon only if you are a member. Check their website for details. They only stock their in house brands called RockRider and Btwin. You can order accessories(not bikes) online if you are a member. Lot of VFM stuff is available with them. They are good in fitting and stuff but in couple of cases they tried to sell wrong frame sized bike to folks from our group. Non members can order Decathlon stuff from resellers like LifeMojo and Sports Goods, Shoes, T-shirts, Sportswear, Fitness Equipments | Buy Sporting Goods Online | PlayGroundOnline

Fitness Through Travel, BTM Layout
Fitness Through Travel
They stock Canondale/Schwinn/Bianchi etc. I have not bought anything from them yet but heard they are good. Person to contact is N Kiran Kumar.

RR Cycles, Madiwala/Marathalli, Ulsoor
No website, at last I am not aware of.
Largest seller of bikes by volume in Bangalore(may be India too) but thats it. They deal with multiple brands including those listed above plus some Chinese ones. Buy from them only if you are not a first timer/Know setting up the bike properly/Know frame sizing/Can bargain etc. He is known for fleecing customers starting from quoting above MRP(You can bargain though), pushing for wrong bike type/Wrong frame size etc. Never ever take your bike to servicing with them. I learned it the hard way.

Shah Cycles( Most of FireFox Bike Stations)
Similar to RR Cycles wrt fleecing but they deal with Trek/FireFox only. Only thing ill say is, If you are buying Trek, buy it from BOTS. Countless times better then these guys.

There are many more shops in Bangalore so please add info about them here. But IMO first three shops aka BOTS/Wheelsports and PnW to some extent are in there class of own when it comes to buying experience and ***.

Hope this helps,
Akshay
Pathfinder

Last edited by akshay380 : 2nd January 2012 at 12:51.
akshay380 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks