Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 17:12   #1066
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hey akshay, thanks a ton for the link. Im in search of a bike. The article helped me a lot. I'm planning to restart cycling (stopped cycling ten years back), and the last cycle I have used was the good old BSA light n spoty. Now I searching for good bike for occasional work commute which is around 22km from my home. The bike should be strong enough to carry 101kgs around.
One of my friend suggested me Giant snap 21s. I've looked into Firefox bikes which this particular friend is not fond of. Trek is also a good option I believe. The budget is around Rs 20,000. So, please suggest me some options to consider.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:25   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Hey akshay, thanks a ton for the link. Im in search of a bike. The article helped me a lot. I'm planning to restart cycling (stopped cycling ten years back), and the last cycle I have used was the good old BSA light n spoty. Now I searching for good bike for occasional work commute which is around 22km from my home. The bike should be strong enough to carry 101kgs around.
One of my friend suggested me Giant snap 21s. I've looked into Firefox bikes which this particular friend is not fond of. Trek is also a good option I believe. The budget is around Rs 20,000. So, please suggest me some options to consider.
Thats awesome! In Trek, you can check out Trek 3700 or if you can push your budget then Trek 4300. You can also check KHS Alite series at Wheelsports. Most important thing is to test ride the bikes you like and only then finalize. Get a proper fitting bike and helmet/lock etc. All the best

Last edited by akshay380 : 4th January 2012 at 19:27.
Old 6th January 2012, 20:19   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here using a foldable bicycles ? I found most of the foldable bicycles are with 20" or lesser size tires. Is it comfy to ride or is it only suitable for kids ? I have seen the New York city is flooded with foldable bicycles due to space constraint but is it really practical to live with a cycle that comes with 20" wheel?
Old 7th January 2012, 05:30   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Anyone here using a foldable bicycles ? I found most of the foldable bicycles are with 20" or lesser size tires. Is it comfy to ride or is it only suitable for kids ? I have seen the New York city is flooded with foldable bicycles due to space constraint but is it really practical to live with a cycle that comes with 20" wheel?
I rode it couple of times for short distance and liked it. Girls like it too
My friend Rohan reviewed one folding bike here. http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com/2010...esse-d7-review Hope this helps.
Old 28th January 2012, 03:16   #1070
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get myself an MTB, my first one at that! I will mainly use it for daily commute to work/weekend fitness & breakfast trips!

I weigh about 100kgs and stand approx 6ft 3 in tall, I am looking only for XL framed bikes and unfortunately not many of them stock this size!

My budget is around 15k, I visited RR cycles in Madivala and they had an XL in Schwinn Frontier Sport, however this was the 2011 model, they quoted around 14k.

Right from the riding position to all the tech specs, I loved every aspect of the Schwinn FS 2011, the thing that put me off was the plain old boring graphics and the only color option, black! The 2010 and the 2012 models look more appealing and the color options make them look really cool! Wonder why they decided to make the 2011 more simple looking!!

So, all the other bikes I've tried after testing the FS pale in comparison! I was keen on the bTwin RR 5.1/5.2 as well, but they didn't have either in XL.

What do you guys think? I am looking for any user reviews on the Schwinn FS 2011 model. I know the 2012 model is out already but that's way outside my budget right now, 18k i think!

Is the price reasonable, 14k? Here is a picture of the bike! Am sure the looks will grow on me over a period of time. Would you guys suggest I take a look at any other bikes around the 15k price range?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-frontiersport11.jpg  

Old 8th March 2012, 01:33   #1071
BHPian

Hi Guys, I need a little help!! I am planning to get a bike but am utterly confused. It would be great if you could help me out.

About me:
I am 6' 1'' in height (183 cms), I weigh a little under 90KGS (199 lbs). I was an avid biker back in school. I've had the following bikes in the past:
  • Flying Fox
  • Avon (something similar to a BMX)
  • Hercules Top Gear (Type 1, 5 speed)
  • BSA Mach (Gear less)

Bike BUG:
After riding a friends Hero Octane Estes. Which he bought used on OLX. I was bitten by the bike bug. I suddenly realized what I had been missing all these years. Initially I was very heavily impressed by the octane estes the only grouse some of its bolts and nuts were rusted. I blamed the previous owner for not maintaining it but now i've realized you get what you pay for. He got it for INR 4K. I thought of finding a similar one for myself. But I wanted to read a few reviews on the internet before finalizing. This is when I stumbled upon BIKES ZONE and suddenly my tastes changed.

My Expected usage Pattern:
  • 95% well paved roads
  • Approximately 1 hour every day (15-20kms)
  • Primary usage (Exercise/Fitness)
  • Small errands
  • Would like to take part in bike meets and go in for longer durations during the weekend (After some getting used to + stamina build up)

My RESEARCH:
Now I've visited a few stores in New Delhi and shortlisted the following:
  • FireFox Road Runner (21speed) (11.3K INR)
  • Hercules ACT 110 (10.5K INR)
  • Hercules Ryder Neo (11.5K INR)
  • B'TWIN RockRider 5.0 or 5.1 (Not in stock anywhere in Delhi/NCR, Dealer: Supreme Cycles says, it can be shipped from Decathlon, by online ordering, which he'll do as he's a member)
  • RockMachine Surge 26 (13K INR)
  • OPEN to others as well including well kept pre-worshiped ones.

P.S.: My budget is around INR 10 - 12K. This can be stretched if a bike is really worth it.
So based on the above which one should I buy ?
Old 8th March 2012, 04:54   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Guys, I need a little help!! I am planning to get a bike but am utterly confused. It would be great if you could help me out.

which one should I buy ?
Based on the requirements listed, you should buy a Hybrid.

Try and check with Track and Trail if they have a Schwinn Searcher Sport 2011 in stock. With an effective price of around 16-17 k, it is a drool worthy bike and value for the money spent with great specs.

It might just be worth the stretch provided you can find one in stock at any of the dealers.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:36   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • 95% well paved roads
  • Small errands
  • Would like to take part in bike meets and go in for longer durations during the weekend (After some getting used to + stamina build up)
P.S.: My budget is around INR 10 - 12K. This can be stretched if a bike is really worth it.
So based on the above which one should I buy ?
go for a hybrid .
your requirement does not call for a MTB, Hercules act 110 is a very popular model , and well within your budget .
Old 8th March 2012, 16:25   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
See my post earlier in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2519019). For city commuting this is convenient. Been using this for about six months now.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:51   #1075
Team-BHP Support

I bought my Cannondale Q5 in mid June-2011.

I use it as my office commute. The shortest distance between home-office is 9.6 kms.
After a couple of days, I started reporting the same distance even if I take a longer route.

So this picture below is not the complete story. I might have crossed the milestone earlier.
I did not cycle in August 2011 on account of Ramzan.
The Bicycles thread-2000.jpg

My weight when I started cycling was almost 103.
Today morning I weighed in at 93.3

A couple of inches lost from my waist.
Very few of my old clothes fit me anymore. A motivation trouser bought in early 2011 is my now my regular office wear.

No restrictions in diet. Although I find myself being a little careful when eating out at office lunch parties. Its a bit of a pain cycling back with spicy oily food in my stomach

The 2k kms has one 50 kms pleasure ride. That is the only one in which my office was not a destination.

Summer has started in Hyderabad. I usually manage to leave home around 10:30 AM.
But the heat does not trouble me. I find heat a bigger problem when driving.
Old 11th March 2012, 01:36   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Based on the requirements listed, you should buy a Hybrid.

Try and check with Track and Trail if they have a Schwinn Searcher Sport 2011 in stock. With an effective price of around 16-17 k, it is a drool worthy bike and value for the money spent with great specs.

It might just be worth the stretch provided you can find one in stock at any of the dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
go for a hybrid .
your requirement does not call for a MTB, Hercules act 110 is a very popular model , and well within your budget .

Hi,

Well as it turns out, I am still not decided.

I have only seen the Rock-Machine & Fire-Fox Road Runner in flesh.
Yet to have a lock at the ACT 110 or the Ryder Neo. RockRider 5.0 is not in stock (Can be ordered though)

I also tried searching for 2011 stock of the Schwinn Sporterra / Searcher. No luck as of yet, but one dealer says he might have it in stock & he'd be able to confirm by Monday or Tuesday. Lets see what happens.

BTW most dealers are saying that taking into account the roads in India, a front suspension is an absolute must. They say I'll end up with shoulder & wrist pain in a few months time. How true is this ??

( P.S.: I live in South Delhi, roads are pretty good except certain patches, which in any case are avoidable )
Old 11th March 2012, 04:16   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

BTW most dealers are saying that taking into account the roads in India, a front suspension is an absolute must. They say I'll end up with shoulder & wrist pain in a few months time. How true is this ??

( P.S.: I live in South Delhi, roads are pretty good except certain patches, which in any case are avoidable )
Not at all, they are taking you for a ride. I have a hybrid and have done 6k km and I haven't had any of the problem that you have mentioned and so is the case with many of my friends who have it.

Read this before you take the plunge.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 02:30   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Not at all, they are taking you for a ride. I have a hybrid and have done 6k km and I haven't had any of the problem that you have mentioned and so is the case with many of my friends who have it.

Read this before you take the plunge.
Agree with what has been said above.

Your requirement warrants a Hybrid. Many Hybrids are capable of trails as well.
However, for riding on Tarmac, front suspension is Not a must on a bicycle.

Try finding a bike with a lockable front suspension to have the flexibility of both on and off road use.

Do follow up with the dealers for a Schwinn Searcher Sport 2011, It should meet all your requirements.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:58   #1079
BHPian

Quote:

• 95% well paved roads
  • Small errands
For this kind of Usage I would recommend a Roadbike even more than a Hybrid. MTB with Suspension is a strict no no in your budget. I used to have similar riding pattern in Mumbai with lots of potholes. The Bike is still running on stock tires after more than 1500kms. The rims are also fine inspite of not slowing down at most of the bumps/potholes. By the way I have a Mach Single Speed 22" frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Summer has started in Hyderabad. I usually manage to leave home around 10:30 AM. But the heat does not trouble me. I find heat a bigger problem when driving.
man How are you cycling at 10:30 is it not really hot then. Are using any sunscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Not at all, they are taking you for a ride. I have a hybrid and have done 6k km and I haven't had any of the problem that you have mentioned and so is the case with many of my friends who have it. Read this before you take the plunge.
Completely agree and nice recommendation
Old 12th March 2012, 15:25   #1080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

man How are you cycling at 10:30 is it not really hot then. Are using any sunscreen.
Sometimes I remember to use it, most times I forget about it.

It is hot, so I keep a bottle of cold water with me. Usually by the time I reach office, the water gets to normal temperature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks