Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 15:57   #1186
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Well quite a few reputed brands for cyclometers like Garmin,Sigma,Polaris,Cateye etc.I am using Sigma BC 2209 Targa(wireless),has the regular functions of showing speed & distance along with H.R monitor.
Some cyclometers even have a cadence(The number of revolutions of the crank per minute) sensor.
Even I started with 10kms/4 days a week,a month and a half back.Right now doing 30kms/4 days a week.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:49   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Yogi. Planning to visit Decathlon again this weekend to find out what they are offering for cycle comps. In bikesZone forum some people have mentioned about Cat Eye Strada Cadence but I'm unable to find that in India.
BTW, with rains are about to be here soon, what about fenders for the bikes? The ones at Decathlon are useless from what I've seen. Any recommendation on this front? Or no Fenders are available for MTB's?
Old 26th April 2012, 18:38   #1188
BHPian

Even I am not sure about the fenders,planning to get a home trainer for monsoon.
Old 28th April 2012, 21:01   #1189
BHPian

As part of Hyderabad Bicycle Club rides, today went along with a group to 'Yadagirigutta Ride'. Total time I took:~15Hrs, total distance from home to destination and back: ~200 Km. Did it on the new MTB and managed to reach home in one piece. Boy, effects of dehydration are multifold! Took as much care as to rehydrate but still not enough.

Last edited by deetee : 28th April 2012 at 21:03.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:06   #1190
F50
Senior - BHPian

Guys a question.

What I have noticed in my recent riding. My chain hits the chain stay as soon as I go over bad roads or uneven patch (which is common in Mumbai)
So after every ride my chain stay has bit of oil and dirt. I don't think this is a design flaw and should be common with people going off-road in MTBs.

Is it common with you guys? What can be done to prevent it? I get bit uneasy hearing that noise.
Old 14th May 2012, 18:38   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Guys a question.

What I have noticed in my recent riding. My chain hits the chain stay as soon as I go over bad roads or uneven patch (which is common in Mumbai)
So after every ride my chain stay has bit of oil and dirt. I don't think this is a design flaw and should be common with people going off-road in MTBs.

Is it common with you guys? What can be done to prevent it? I get bit uneasy hearing that noise.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:38   #1192
BHPian

Wow a Bicycles thread :-). Since april last year my driving has reduced by 90% and traveling by bicycle has taken the front seat. Commute to work at-least once a week. 28kms one way and I start way before Bangalore is awake. 4.30AM. With the present Bangalore weather cycling is all the more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Guys a question.

To make a chainstay protector is one thing. Ensure the chain isn't too loose. Would you mind sharing what make/model of bike you ride. Or if you could mention if it is multispeed or single speed? I had a canon Barrel and later fitted it with Starlit 6 speed. Only once the chain got loose which was then fixed with the help of a local mechanic. There is a park tool available to check the chain length. (to check if the chain has stretched over the years). If you are using a gear system then check to see if the rear derailleur hanger isn't too loose. May be you could post a pic of the side of your bike to see if we could spot anything unusual.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2012 at 13:37. Reason: back to back posts. Please read rule no. 5b
Old 17th May 2012, 11:57   #1193
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
To make a chainstay protector is one thing. Ensure the chain isn't too loose. Would you mind sharing what make/model of bike you ride. Or if you could mention if it is multispeed or single speed? I had a canon Barrel and later fitted it with Starlit 6 speed. Only once the chain got loose which was then fixed with the help of a local mechanic. There is a park tool available to check the chain length. (to check if the chain has stretched over the years). If you are using a gear system then check to see if the rear derailleur hanger isn't too loose. May be you could post a pic of the side of your bike to see if we could spot anything unusual.
I have GT Transeo 4.0, 24 speed. The chain hits the chainstay only when it goes through a rough road. I ll get it checked by a mechanic soon.

I saw few chainstay protectors on Ebay for $2 made by Shimano. I'll try to get those.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:26   #1194
Team-BHP Support

Given the recent hike in fuel prices.
A public service announcement.

The Bicycles thread-pod0042carmakesyoufat.jpg
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:19   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks Yogi. Planning to visit Decathlon again this weekend to find out what they are offering for cycle comps. In bikesZone forum some people have mentioned about Cat Eye Strada Cadence but I'm unable to find that in India.
BTW, with rains are about to be here soon, what about fenders for the bikes? The ones at Decathlon are useless from what I've seen. Any recommendation on this front? Or no Fenders are available for MTB's?
I was also not quite impressed with the fenders available in Decathlon. But recently saw a Trek 4700 fitted with a fender and it looked pretty good. After some research I got to know that these are available in Decathlon. I am attaching the image as well. You might want to have a look. I am thinking of picking this up shortly.

Regarding the Cycle Comps, I saw a couple of wireless ones in Decathlon last week, but didn't want to buy without any reviews and hence placed it on hold. I am currently using mapmyride app to track my usage which is very good. The only thing which i miss in this app is the top speed. It shows only the average speed at the end of each workout. Is there any way to figure out the top speed with this same app?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-mtbrearbig400x400.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2012, 13:24   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I was also not quite impressed with the fenders available in Decathlon. But recently saw a Trek 4700 fitted with a fender and it looked pretty good. After some research I got to know that these are available in Decathlon. I am attaching the image as well. You might want to have a look. I am thinking of picking this up shortly.
Looks good and I've seen this but was not sure how effective this will be as the other half the rear tire(near the frame and crank) will be exposed still.

Quote:
Regarding the Cycle Comps, I saw a couple of wireless ones in Decathlon last week, but didn't want to buy without any reviews and hence placed it on hold. I am currently using mapmyride app to track my usage which is very good. The only thing which i miss in this app is the top speed. It shows only the average speed at the end of each workout. Is there any way to figure out the top speed with this same app?
I'm using Count 8 cyclo comp from Decathlon. Pretty decent for the price with 8 functions such as Total Distance, Max speed, Average speed, Lap time etc. No cadence though. And it's wireless. No backlight though. Price was 1.4k I think. Decent performer for the price.
Regards,
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:17   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
I'm using Count 8 cyclo comp from Decathlon. Pretty decent for the price with 8 functions such as Total Distance, Max speed, Average speed, Lap time etc. No cadence though. And it's wireless. No backlight though. Price was 1.4k I think. Decent performer for the price.
Regards,
I have a question on the battery. How long does the battery last on the wireless one? And what batteries do these take? If you have used wired ones earlier how do you compare them? Sorry to bother you with too many questions.
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:53   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi1771
Even I am not sure about the fenders,planning to get a home trainer for monsoon.
SKS fenders. The best I could find. I commute 3-4 days a week (17 kms one way). No rattling and protects the drivetrain from slush very well.

The Bicycles thread-photo0005.jpg

Once can also try to do a local Jugaad. Not quite sure about the fit and finish. I ordered my from Chain Reaction Cycles online and got them in about 5 days. No, I am not going to tell how much I paid. My wife also reads what I post here, you see

Rajan
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:07   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I have a question on the battery. How long does the battery last on the wireless one? And what batteries do these take? If you have used wired ones earlier how do you compare them? Sorry to bother you with too many questions.
Sorry bro, mine is just 1 and half months old and hence no idea about battery life. I can't give you comparison too, as I've never used wired one. But this one seems to be pretty decent enough and readings seems to be correct. But I really miss the backlight as I ride a lot in the night :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
SKS fenders. The best I could find. I commute 3-4 days a week (17 kms one way). No rattling and protects the drivetrain from slush very well.

Once can also try to do a local Jugaad. Not quite sure about the fit and finish. I ordered my from Chain Reaction Cycles online and got them in about 5 days. No, I am not going to tell how much I paid. My wife also reads what I post here, you see

Rajan
You can PM :P. BTW, how much time does CRC take to deliver it in India? Was there any custom duty? And the important question (for me), do they have fenders for MTB too? BTW, they seem to be pretty nice.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:46   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
You can PM :P. BTW, how much time does CRC take to deliver it in India? Was there any custom duty? And the important question (for me), do they have fenders for MTB too? BTW, they seem to be pretty nice.
Order placed 4th October
Delivered 10th October

It was part of an order. I also ordered Giro helmet, Shimano Clipless pedals & shoes, Sombrio Boom gloves.

Yes. There was customs. IIRC, I paid Rs. 5000+ customs for the whole lot.

SKS Blumels MTB Mudguards Set might suit you best. Yes they are available for MTBs too.

Thanks,
Rajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks