Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 13:09   #121
BHPian

Redfire, would you be interested in an electric cycle? I know a guy who might help
I think he helped an Mech student with his engineering project.
So just buy a regular cycle for about 2 or 3k, and then just electrify it
Old 5th June 2008, 13:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hercules has lots of variants...and can buy online..

i liked these 2:
https://www.ticyclesindia.com/Produc...=1&Fid=6&Iid=0

https://www.ticyclesindia.com/Produc...=1&Fid=6&Iid=0
Old 5th June 2008, 13:28   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Redfire, would you be interested in an electric cycle? I know a guy who might help
I think he helped an Mech student with his engineering project.
So just buy a regular cycle for about 2 or 3k, and then just electrify it
I know the best guy in town and he is my good friend too, who is helping Engg students for years. But I have no plans for an electrical thing. Just plain pedaling . Have asked a friend who visits Cochin frequently for business trip to visit Firefoxbikes Cochin showroom (the only showroom in Kerala). Meanwhile will be checking the Hero/TI dealers here too.

Last edited by redfire : 5th June 2008 at 13:31.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
I know the best guy in town and he is my good friend too, who is helping Engg students for years. But I have no plans for an electrical thing. Just plain pedaling . Have asked a friend who visits Cochin frequently for business trip to visit Firefoxbikes Cochin showroom (the only showroom in Kerala). Meanwhile will be checking the Hero/TI dealers here too.
How about a hybrid (pedal assist for that extra torque) !
Old 5th June 2008, 13:47   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How about a hybrid (pedal assist for that extra torque) !
Idea is nice, but my plan is to own a pure mechanical cycle without any additional turning force source (electric motor, small engine etc) . An electric bike/cycle can be considered later as a different thing altogether. So let us focus on cycling and various models available.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:52   #126
BANNED

How much can one cycle a day? What if the office is far?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:09   #127
BHPian

lol! really good way to protect mother earth...

other options:
- Buy the Civic hybrid!
- Buy a SEGWAY! The x2 Adventure model rocks!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 5th June 2008 at 14:17.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:37   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
How much can one cycle a day? What if the office is far?
I guess on a normal gradient one can cycle upto 5 kms and maintain cruising speeds of around 10-20 kmph if done before sun starts out harsh and loud. The best part would be traffic jams where you can just start rolling the cycle and walking along . In US and other countries I have seen cyclists use pedestrian pathways, is it the same in India too?.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

If the work place is not that far within a range of like 8-12kms then riding a bi-cycle will work out well,my office is about 9-10kms i am planning to think about it,and the health will also improve a bit
Old 5th June 2008, 14:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

saab, phunny it is.

however, 1000 bucks does not warrant a cycle repair. 2300 is what a new cycle comes for!

That said, cycling is pretty good. I did it for a month+ in Ahmedabad, the place of mad traffic. Don't worry, you'll survive.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

there are folks in bangalore who cycle about 30kms a day to the office and back - daily.

buying a cycle is not an easy thing anymore. As kids we used to check out cycles that look good, and then buy them. Hero and TI have a one size fits all strategy.

first, you need to decide how much you are willing to spend on the bike.
Next- how much do you intend to use it and HOW you intend to use it. Do you plan to cycle around on weekends, or go for cycling expeditions etc. similarly- do you want a road bike or an MTB etc.

You need to size the cycle properly before buying.
Check out Trek and Firefox bicycles in Bangalore very useful site, and very useful folks as well. They hve Trek cycles and Firefox bikes as well.

I used a hercules DX6 for a few years, and am changing it to something else soon- want to go back to doing some long distance cycling. If you need more info - PM me.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
' We have a similar topic being discussed here please continue the discussions on the following thread:

How I Beat the Fuel Hike

Thread Closed
Old 5th June 2008, 18:45   #133
BHPian

Day 2 as a cyclist.

I knew that I had to do something radically different to get some respect from the other motorists on the road. A full page ad by Arcelor Mittal that read – “Boldness changes everything” gave me the required motivation.
I rode my cycle geared up like this:
The Bicycles thread-picture1.jpg

I don’t know if the other road users understood my concern for safety as a cyclist or they felt that I am someone light in the head; either way many of them flashed a smile when they overtook me. Barring a couple of Indicab drivers who gave me a real scare by creeping right behind me and honking hard, other road users were very friendly today.

I am back home feeling that I took a step in the right direction.
Old 5th June 2008, 19:15   #134
BHPian

OT: Need advice on buying a cycle.

Folks, Mods,

Yup am aware of it, this is really ot, however had been digging around to get good help on buying one but with not much results. Had seen them ranging from 2k till 15k.. may be more than that. Am really confused, am fed up of being dependent on government/oil co's. I feel trapped and hence these are the efforts to get rid of entrapment.

I am very serious about cycle, I have BSA SLR Mach 3 18 geared cycle. I have done some nice rounds on it, however with experience on it have realized following:

1. Need a racer, they are light, hence wont drain me fast.
2. Need gears, ohh yes, uphill and the efforts spiral up.
3. Brakes: Cars/Motorbikes think that the cycle have disc brakes like them and that the cycle can slow from 30kmph to 0 in flat 5 secs, I can't blame them but I had faced some scary situation and hence am looking for really good brakes. Is there something called disc brake in cycles too?
4. Shock Suspensions, yup need to take care of the butt.
5. Secure baggage, yup with a smartphone in the bag > 15k, I need secure baggage.

I have done some few rounds, physically, virtually (net) but nothing conclusive. Any advices folks?

Mods: If similar things are already posted, please point me to same. Google didn't help me.

~LT

Last edited by aah78 : 6th June 2008 at 19:47. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 5th June 2008, 19:43   #135
BHPian

Yup totally forgot:

1. Tubeless... in Pune there are hardly few shops who are willing to fix punctures.

~LT

Most Viewed