Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 19:06   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

montra has a rock 1 or something.

@MC my man: Of all the individual sports I know, running has a fairly high injury rate (compared to us cyclists many of whom put in 16-18k per year without injury). I suspect that is more from shoes than simply running, but that is a separate debate

- I may be wrong, and am open to being corrected with hard data. But I have seen far too many friends with injuries from running. That said, in cycling, if your posture is wrong, it hurts right there, and you either correct yourself or stop doing it. Repetitive strain injuries which may kill the joints are fairly rare in my limited knowledge.

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th November 2012 at 19:07.
Old 21st November 2012, 14:15   #1397
BANNED

^^Have to agree. Have a physician friend who recently had mentioned that there is not a single runner he knows who has not at some time had a knee injury.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:53   #1398
NMS
BHPian

Hi again, It was quite some time since I was planning on getting a bicycle for myself.
The idea is to substitute my daily workout by cycling. But was running on a tight budget. Finally got myself a Fomas Road King Deluxe. Its a road bike. And riding it is a lot of fun. Have done around 150 KMS in the past 10 days. Its a pleasure to be riding the bicycle once again However I have run into a couple of issues,

Since the tyres are very thin , I had a puncture on day one, since then I have been very careful with the roads I take it on. Guys need your help in finding out if these can be upgraded to better quality tyres. Would Kenda Serve the purpose?

Yesterday, I had the rear wheel wobbling. The bearings had gone bad. (my weight might also have been a contributing factor ) However, the local cycle shop fellow is still struggling to fix it. Overall I am quite satisfied with the bike in the first 10 days. Just hope the issues don't become regular :(
Old 30th November 2012, 12:20   #1399
Senior - BHPian

To increase the chances to avoid punctures, get a tire liner. It resists small pins, stones etc. But still can get punctured with large objects.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:38   #1400
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am looking for a bike.

A little bio :

I am 6 feet 4 in tall
I weigh in at 115 kgs

I need a bike that can take my dimensions and my weight.

I will be using it for an hour a day for fitness purpose and using it on well paved roads for around 95% of the time.

My budget is 10-15K and i have an affinity to the foreign well known brands.

Thanks.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:12   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking for a bike.

A little bio :

I am 6 feet 4 in tall
I weigh in at 115 kgs

I will be using it for an hour a day for fitness purpose and using it on well paved roads for around 95% of the time.

Thanks.
I may sound discouraging but at that price range you will not get a bike that suits your build. You will have to make do with a smaller frame. If one hour a day is all you are going to bike buy the rockrider 5 with biggest frame size. None of the Indian made bikes would suit your build.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:35   #1402
BHPian

Learned to ride a bicycle on an Atlas in class IV. Used to half-pedal it.

Got a small Hero after that and then shifted to a BSA-SLR. Was never really fond of those fat tyred bikes or even the ones with gears. The SLR was there with me from class VI to class XII.

Loved it and as usual kept it in mint condition. Used to polish it every weekend as I wax my car now..used to use coconut oil sometimes though instead of the turtle/formula1
Old 1st December 2012, 18:06   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee

I may sound discouraging but at that price range you will not get a bike that suits your build. You will have to make do with a smaller frame. If one hour a day is all you are going to bike buy the rockrider 5 with biggest frame size. None of the Indian made bikes would suit your build.
What is the cheapest bike that i can get then according to my build?
Old 1st December 2012, 18:57   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
What is the cheapest bike that i can get then according to my build?
I think you would be looking at somewhere around a 22 +" frame. Not sure how easily its available.
Old 1st December 2012, 20:09   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee

I think you would be looking at somewhere around a 22 +" frame. Not sure how easily its available.
In delhi, everything is available. Do you know any specific models with a 22+ frame with a cost that is less than 20K.
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:21   #1406
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd December 2012 at 08:45.
kumar2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:37   #1407
BANNED

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am looking for a bike.

A little bio :

I am 6 feet 4 in tall
I weigh in at 115 kgs

Thanks.
Get a L size bike. Decathlon has few options. Not sure if any dealers in our area but there are few online stores that ship COD.

RR 5.0: 10k - http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIK...IDER-50-MAN-12
Riverside: 14 k: http://www.decathlon.in/TREKKING-BIKES-RIVERSIDE-1-MAN
My Bike - 6k: http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-BLACK

For members, these cost at least 1k less. My Bike also comes in white color at same price and another variant with gears (costs ~3k more)

BTW, do not worry getting bikes with smaller frames; can be always adjusted for taller guys, its the bigger frames that are harmful, but then at your height it should not be a concern

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 2nd December 2012 at 13:52.
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:55   #1408
Team-BHP Support

Are there any decent bikes around 4k price tag? Or a max of 5k. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 90kgs. I like bikes with MTBish looks, to be frank.

I walk for an hour daily these days, but would like to take up cycling. Purely for city use & fitness.

I know 10k + is highly recommended, but thats way out of my reach currently.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd December 2012 at 13:57.
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:53   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3

Get a L size bike. Decathlon has few options. Not sure if any dealers in our area but there are few online stores that ship COD.

RR 5.0: 10k - http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIK...IDER-50-MAN-12
Riverside: 14 k: http://www.decathlon.in/TREKKING-BIKES-RIVERSIDE-1-MAN
My Bike - 6k: http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-BLACK

For members, these cost at least 1k less. My Bike also comes in white color at same price and another variant with gears (costs ~3k more)

BTW, do not worry getting bikes with smaller frames; can be always adjusted for taller guys, its the bigger frames that are harmful, but then at your height it should not be a concern

Vijay
Thanks,

How are the bikes from trek? I saw one that costs 25k and it looks good.

The problem with decathlon is the lack of service support in delhi.
Old 2nd December 2012, 15:18   #1410
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks,

How are the bikes from trek? I saw one that costs 25k and it looks good.

The problem with decathlon is the lack of service support in delhi.
Yes, they are better. So are other brands starting from that range. But then what kind of 'service support' are you looking for

Should to able to fix most of the small things at home with basic equipment and youtube else any of the LBS should do. While I was in HYD, got KHS from B'lore and assembled locally. Interestingly, having same discussion on bikeszone - http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=3&t=13032

Vijay

Most Viewed