Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2012, 19:25   #1426
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I visited 2 showroom over the last two days, and what came next was a shock. The cheapest cycle in the Hercules range started at 4.3k, and there was no way I would like to be seen on one of that. A gear cycle in the Hercules range shown to me was 6k+. I have decided to postpone my purchase till I am able to afford some nice stuff. Which, sadly, might be one or two years down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Oh ! Really shocked. If that is the case, will postpone my plan to atleast 6 months down the lane.
It's true, prices for good bikes are quite high - approaching, if not more than, the price of 100cc bikes ! Here's my experience - last July I started looking at bikes, primarily for improving my physical fitness level. I'd message'd a couple of Team-Bhp members from Chennai who'd posted on the 'Bikes' thread for bike stores & bike recommendations. When I visited one of the recommended bike shops, I too was taken aback by the high prices & decided to postpone the buying decision. Fast-forward to October this year & an unplanned blood test showed that I was border-line diabetic - the very next weekend I was back at the bike store looking at bikes Went in with Schwinn Sporterra & B-Twin RR in mind, rode home a Cannondale Trail SL4 !

The Bicycles thread-cannondale_trailsl4_0.jpg

The past 2 months, I've ridden the bike whenever I could, which is probably around 30 days or so of the 60 odd days. Compared to 2 months ago, my ride duration & pace has increased quite a bit, my waist has reduced by more than 3 inches & to top it all of - my blood sugar's well within limits now (the effect persists even if I'm unable to ride for a few days). And I ride for just over an hour every day - typically starting at around 5:45 AM & back home by 7:00 AM (I cover ~18 Kms in that time & go over 2 fly-overs). I just love the machine, its so light & balanced, its a joy to ride. I was so impressed with the Trail-SL4 - a couple of weeks ago I walked into the same bike store & bought a Caad-8-6 (Tiagra ?).

My advice, do not postpone the decision to get a bike, put it on a credit-card, get an EMI-conversion - just get a bike & start riding...

Last edited by im_srini : 9th December 2012 at 19:33.
Old 9th December 2012, 20:20   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good bicycle for my 12 year old son? He currently has a Hercules Bravo EX, which he has outgrown. I have promised a new bike for his 13th birthday in February. I am for a good, regular bike in the Rs 5 - 6k range, but he insists on a geared bike. What is the minimum price at which we can expect decent geared one? His usage will be limited to a 2 KM radius around our home.

He is about 5'6" right now, and looks set to cross the 6' mark by 10th std! So I would prefer a regular sized bike.
Old 9th December 2012, 21:47   #1428
BHPian

I am also looking for a good branded helmet for me.

I have a bigger than average head and I am looking for a branded helmet in delhi/noida.

Can somebody suggest a few brands and prices, also a few shops where I can buy it.

I currently ride a trek 3500.
Old 10th December 2012, 11:58   #1429
BHPian

People generally make remarks that I bought a road bike whose cost is equal to the cost of a 100cc motorbike, but my general logic is this: with a bicycle you can recover the cost, but with a motorbike you will continue to spend INR 75 per litre on fuel.

Additionally any decent gym costs Rs 1.5-2K a month, just think that you invested that money one time on a bike, and then there is no need to fall in the gym trap!!

A bike is an "investment"

Last edited by evilshantanu : 10th December 2012 at 12:00.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:30   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

I have a bigger than average head and I am looking for a branded helmet in delhi/noida.

Can somebody suggest a few brands and prices, also a few shops where I can buy it.

Try www.decathlon.in or www.playgroundonline.com you will get good explanation of the helmet and price
Old 10th December 2012, 12:36   #1431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Sorry for going a bit OT here.

I mentioned in the last page that i visited the showroom 'Just buy cycles' at Velachery, Chennai. I was greeted by a smart sales guy (Forgot to take his name - he seems to be a keralite settled in Chennai).

When i started looking at low end bikes, he suggested a higher one and explained why he was suggesting the same. Then i explained to him that I cannot afford to 'spent' so much on a bike. He quickly corrected me with the same dialogue. Sir, you are not 'spending on a good bike', you are 'investing'.

Needless to say - I was gradually looking at bikes worth 15k+ by the time he was over, and he never pushed his choice on me. He just explained why the bikes were worth their asking price tags. Truly a pleasure to have met such a sales guy in a bicycle showroom!
Old 10th December 2012, 13:37   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

Decathlon is strictly okish helmets. if you can spend more and want good branded helmets try track and trail. You will get all Bianchi and Cannondale helmets there
Old 10th December 2012, 15:18   #1433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyways it would be great if you could let me know the model name whenever possible.

Thanks,Chris
Model was LA Sovereign Spider - Rs 6300/-. In alumiunium type finishing and alloy rims. Looked nice.
http://www.la-sovereign.com/index.ph...ark-black.html

There was an NMC cycle for 10k. Forgot the name of it. Hero Urban Trail comes for 17k. I am a newbie here too, and hence can't comment if these are good selections or not.

Firefox target was for 15k. Felt really nice!

Guys,

How good is Firefox Target for 15k? What are the other choices available in below 15k? Bike felt really good to handle + looked sweet!
http://www.firefoxbikes.com/Hardtail_26Target21Spd.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th December 2012 at 15:28.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:11   #1434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After a reality check - had a look at Hercules Act 110, but didn't like it at all. I have decided to postpone my purchase till I am able to afford some nice stuff. Which, sadly, might be one or two years down the line.
Quote:
Oh! Really shocked. If that is the case, will postpone my plan to atleast 6 months down the lane. Anyways it would be great if you could let me know the model name whenever possible.
At the risk of sounding lame why not check out with your colleagues/friends for any cycles they might have and are not using. I did that and obtained a Hercules cycle (not sure of the model number) for around 3k from a good friend (a bhpian). The bicycle is a year old and in pretty decent condition. It's a simple non-gear, MTB kind of cycle I used to roam around as a kid. The friend has upgraded to a higher geared model.

My plan is to get into a habit of cycling on a daily basis. Ideal route is to&fro to office daily. Once this becomes into a habit, I'll be investing into a high(er) end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Attachment 997727

90% of these 3,000 kms has been on my regular home-office commute.
Sorry for quoting on a old post, but could you share what app/software is that?
Old 10th December 2012, 22:11   #1435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I have been using http://www.dailymile.com/ since day 1.

Lately I have also started using http://www.strava.com/ as it works very well with my android phone.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:28   #1436
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

It's true, prices for good bikes are quite high - approaching, if not more than, the price of 100cc bikes ! Here's my experience - last July I started looking at bikes, primarily for improving my physical fitness level. I'd message'd a couple of Team-Bhp members from Chennai who'd posted on the 'Bikes' thread for bike stores & bike recommendations. When I visited one of the recommended bike shops, I too was taken aback by the high prices & decided to postpone the buying decision. Fast-forward to October this year & an unplanned blood test showed that I was border-line diabetic - the very next weekend I was back at the bike store looking at bikes Went in with Schwinn Sporterra & B-Twin RR in mind, rode home a Cannondale Trail SL4 !

The past 2 months, I've ridden the bike whenever I could, which is probably around 30 days or so of the 60 odd days. Compared to 2 months ago, my ride duration & pace has increased quite a bit, my waist has reduced by more than 3 inches & to top it all of - my blood sugar's well within limits now (the effect persists even if I'm unable to ride for a few days). And I ride for just over an hour every day - typically starting at around 5:45 AM & back home by 7:00 AM (I cover ~18 Kms in that time & go over 2 fly-overs). I just love the machine, its so light & balanced, its a joy to ride. I was so impressed with the Trail-SL4 - a couple of weeks ago I walked into the same bike store & bought a Caad-8-6 (Tiagra ?).

My advice, do not postpone the decision to get a bike, put it on a credit-card, get an EMI-conversion - just get a bike & start riding...
Chennai guys: anyone has taken up 20km ride to office daily? How to cope up with the heat and sweat.

I'm talking about 7.30 to 8.30 in the morning. And no, no shower facility available in office.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:43   #1437
BHPian

Quote:

At the risk of sounding lame why not check out with your colleagues/friends for any cycles they might have and are not using. I did that and obtained a Hercules cycle (not sure of the model number) for around 3k from a good friend (a bhpian). The bicycle is a year old and in pretty decent condition. It's a simple non-gear, MTB kind of cycle I used to roam around as a kid. The friend has upgraded to a higher geared model.

My plan is to get into a habit of cycling on a daily basis. Ideal route is to&fro to office daily. Once this becomes into a habit, I'll be investing into a high(er) end model.

This suggestion sounds great! So would be starting to check with my friends soon. Also planning to hunt nearby cycle repair shops to see if I can get one and do mini project on restoring it.
Old 14th December 2012, 07:49   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
People generally make remarks that I bought a road bike whose cost is equal to the cost of a 100cc motorbike, but my general logic is this: with a bicycle you can recover the cost, but with a motorbike you will continue to spend INR 75 per litre on fuel.

Additionally any decent gym costs Rs 1.5-2K a month, just think that you invested that money one time on a bike, and then there is no need to fall in the gym trap!!

So very true. So many of my friends would buy, say a mobile phone for 40k but not on a good bike or spend thousands on gymming. A lot of them also buy a very basic bike because of not being sure for how long they may use, then get tired of pushing the inefficient machine hard and finally give up. A good bike is sure an investment and goes a long way and no gym is better than a good early morning ride in fresh crisp morning air.
Old 14th December 2012, 08:23   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai guys: anyone has taken up 20km ride to office daily? How to cope up with the heat and sweat.

I'm talking about 7.30 to 8.30 in the morning. And no, no shower facility available in office.
One option is to ride as early as possible so that you can avoid heat and sun beating down on you. And the other is to ride a very comfortable speed where in you don't really exert too much stress and there by sweat a lot. Once in office, you can always use men's room to clean up using the tissues and remember to carry deo's so that you can be fresh and smell good. :-)
Old 14th December 2012, 09:20   #1440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At the risk of sounding lame why not check out with your colleagues/friends for any cycles they might have and are not using.
Thank you.

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense actually, and I've put it as plan-B. I dont personally know anyone who has taken up cycling, but need to search forums. Thats going on in parallel.

Whats plan-A? Instead of going to the enemy, I am trying to see if i can bring the enemy to my trap. If I am somehow able to start riding to office regularly, I could actually have a great workout + save money while doing it as well. Currently, I guess I need about 3L diesel/day for my office commute.

However, this will take sometime. I'll continue with my daily walk (of about 7-10 kms/day) till I can convince myself of plan A/ something exciting shows up in planB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
One option is to ride as early as possible so that you can avoid heat and sun beating down on you. And the other is to ride a very comfortable speed where in you don't really exert too much stress and there by sweat a lot. Once in office, you can always use men's room to clean up using the tissues and remember to carry deo's so that you can be fresh and smell good. :-)
I just came to know yesterday that the office facility that we have been using for the past 2+ years, had shower/bathing facility on one particular floor. Although its pretty basic with no towel hooks, no buckets etc.

Beating the heat seems ok (Chennai can be hot even at 8am though!) since I would need to reach office by 8.30. Inorder to cover 20kms I would need to start as early as 7.15 anyways?

But return, I would be able to start only by 6.30. Safety is a BIG concern with fellow motorists having ZERO concerns for the safety of cyclists.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks