Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 11:07   #661
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Ah! I didnt know there is a cycling thread on TBHP. Interesting! I just picked up a Trek 4300 last month. Have been cycling a little bit. Live in Goregaon (E), Mumbai. Any BHPians on cycles around? I do morning rides. Would love to connect.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:16   #662
BANNED

First a big THANK YOU to the guys: mjothi, narayanang76, Ragul.

Thanks guys for the posts and PMs and replying to my queries about getting myself a bicycle.

I am now the proud owner of a BTWIN RockRider 5.2 (Black). Picked it up today from Decathalon.

Total cost: 14,499 + mudguards (not very useful) + lock + stand. Got a light in front and a blinking light behind as a gift == 16,000.

Pedaled a good 14.5 kms from Decathalon to my home in DoddeNekundi (Marathahalli) in 52 mins.

Happy with the purchase.

The customary pic:

The Bicycles thread-03062011040.jpg

PS: Yeah, the essential helmet is missing. I just didn't like any available there. That's coming up tomorrow.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:37   #663
Senior - BHPian

^
Congratulations Spitfire (I like your name and am a Commando fan like you) on a great bike; in mood to get one for my daily tennis trip...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 00:08   #664
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^Congratulations Spitfire
Thank you . Yes its a good bike. The ride home was total bliss. I was reliving my days on a cycle. That must have been a good 15-16 years back. Its so much fun.

Quote:
in mood to get one for my daily tennis trip...
You should. I have been dilly-dallying a long while. A week back made up my mind. Let go of the excuses and get one. Really happy I did.

PS: I always wanted to be in the armed forces - especially Navy. It never materialized. Maybe in some other way sometime.
Old 4th June 2011, 10:16   #665
Senior - BHPian

From what i read on other bike forums is that you dont really need front shockabsorbers for a city ride.
Can current bikers in the city share their perspectives?
Are front shock absorbers really useful for city riding?
I am about to pick up my first new gen cycle.

Also, What is the average weight of the light weight alluminium bikes sold in the 10-20k price range?
Please advise.
Thanks
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 4th June 2011 at 10:17.
Old 4th June 2011, 16:53   #666
BHPian

CONGRATS Spitfitre. 5.2! Nice!

This I think a new model and frame design looks like 5.1.

I assume you already know about few must know points of gear usage, correct saddle height, chain maintenance and troubleshooting. Decathlon guys normally give you the website details to read more about cycling and techniques. Please read on and familiarise with those techniques, importantly gear usage and few 'must not have' gear combinations.. If you want tips directly, PM me :-)

Have you found your ride mates for daily/week end rides? If not time to get some..

Ride Safe, Keep Cycling.

narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 14:23   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
First a big THANK YOU to the guys: mjothi, narayanang76, Ragul.

Thanks guys for the posts and PMs and replying to my queries about getting myself a bicycle.

I am now the proud owner of a BTWIN RockRider 5.2 (Black). Picked it up today from Decathalon.

Total cost: 14,499 + mudguards (not very useful) + lock + stand. Got a light in front and a blinking light behind as a gift == 16,000.

Pedaled a good 14.5 kms from Decathalon to my home in DoddeNekundi (Marathahalli) in 52 mins.

Happy with the purchase.

The customary pic:

Attachment 554789

PS: Yeah, the essential helmet is missing. I just didn't like any available there. That's coming up tomorrow.
Congrats Spitfire,
Great bike really - Have ridden it. My 2 cents.
- Those Mudguards, waste, totally.
- The Kenda 26X 1.95” MTB tires give it a good grip while off roading and consume a tad more energy while you are on the road (you can always change to a hybrid tires anytime)
- The brakes on the bike is good enough but could have been better considering the quality of all the other parts included. Keep them at check frequently.
- The gear shift is smooth and silent mostly until there is any dust in the crank set or the chain. So, save the Chain regularly from its biggest enemy.
- When compared to all other cycles, the RockRider series have handlebars that are a little lower positioned than other ones for a little aggression, which in turn makes you lean forward adding a tad more weight on your wrists, elbows and shoulders than usual. So, keep r&d'ing regarding the ride posture.

In the end, VFM stuff. Hope you have fun with the machine.
Old 5th June 2011, 14:49   #668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
This I think a new model and frame design looks like 5.1.
Thanks again for helping out.

Yeah, I had gone in to get the 5.1 model. Saw the new model 5.2 and was sold.

I did a good check on both. The components on the 5.2 are of much better quality then the ones on the 5.1.

Quote:
I assume you already know about few must know points of gear usage, correct saddle height, chain maintenance and troubleshooting.
I am reading the manual presently. Loads to read. I like reading machine manuals more then any books.

But looking at the things that matter, I am getting to understand its just not pedal and go.

And I am always open to learning.If you can add the tips on here a lot more can benefit too.

Quote:
Decathlon guys normally give you the website details to read more about cycling and techniques. Please read on and familiarise with those techniques, importantly gear usage and few 'must not have' gear combinations..
I guess Sanjay, the guy who put together the bike. Did give me a fair amount of tips. And right before another two gentleman bought the exact same bike and I overheard the conversation and learned some more.

Quote:
If you want tips directly, PM me :-)
Sure will.

Quote:
Have you found your ride mates for daily/week end rides? If not time to get some..
Not yet. Though a guy from office who has the RR 5.1 mentioned that we can start riding to office together.

But frankly, I first need to get fit. The 14.5 km ride home though a good one was a pointer to my fitness level. And I have a long way to go.

When I was younger I remember doing 30-40 kms at a stretch and then back. Without sweat, now that seems a bit too crazy . That too on a gearless BSA Streetcat.

Quote:
Ride Safe, Keep Cycling.
Need to get that Helmet. Need to get that HELMET. TODAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Congrats Spitfire,
Great bike really - Have ridden it.
Thanks for confirming. You guys I gather are the pros around, so statements like that are a good feel.

Quote:
- Those Mudguards, waste, totally.
Precisely. Even when they were being added I had this notion that maybe I could have done without them.

Quote:
- The Kenda 26X 1.95” MTB tires give it a good grip while off roading and consume a tad more energy while you are on the road (you can always change to a hybrid tires anytime)
Exactly what I thought. But I am thinking a little exertion on the muscles is good. I am not yet ready for long rides. Once that happens the tyres go thinner.`

Quote:
- The brakes on the bike is good enough but could have been better considering the quality of all the other parts included. Keep them at check frequently.
Right again. Got one scare today. The car drivers dont give much respect to cycle riders in Bangalore. Had to brake in an emergency and for a fraction of a second thought that I might not make it.

The front fork does have a provision for a disc brake kit. Sometime soon I may upgrade the brakes.

Quote:
- The gear shift is smooth and silent mostly until there is any dust in the crank set or the chain. So, save the Chain regularly from its biggest enemy.
Yes, the Shimano set feel and work great. And yeah thanks I will keep a watch on the dirt getting on them

But considering these are mountain bikes, I am guessing they should be that much more tough.

Quote:
which in turn makes you lean forward adding a tad more weight on your wrists, elbows and shoulders than usual. So, keep r&d'ing regarding the ride posture.
Right again. Yes they are bit low. But it helps braking.

With straight arms the weight moves forward on braking and helps the effort.

Yeah need to get that sitting position calibrated too.

Quote:
In the end, VFM stuff. Hope you have fun with the machine.
VFM?? Try telling that to my dad

He started laughing when I told him the cost and he asked whether it will cook food too. LOL!!

But seriously its a good bike for the cost. During my hunt I looked at some ultra desirable stuff, exotic almost. Most of it out of reach.

This one though goes well for me. Tough, good looking and most importantly loads of fun.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:47   #669
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the Shimano set feel and work great. And yeah thanks I will keep a watch on the dirt getting on them

But considering these are mountain bikes, I am guessing they should be that much more tough.

VFM?? Try telling that to my dad

He started laughing when I told him the cost and he asked whether it will cook food too. LOL!!

But seriously its a good bike for the cost. During my hunt I looked at some ultra desirable stuff, exotic almost. Most of it out of reach.

This one though goes well for me. Tough, good looking and most importantly loads of fun.
I say this as most of us use MTBs for tarmac, hardtailing is a bit rare, considering the time we have for a ride. I know a few guys who are real bike off-roaders, and tell you what, their derailleurs/chains are their best friends.

I know the state of our parents during our VFM talks. Remember my days as a beginner and boy did i had to convince them, extreme business.

Lastly get safety accessories as your priority buys. Helmet, reflectors, lights. Other stuff should be considered a tad later. Since you are in Bang. there are quite a few guys who can help you out for stuff. I mean Decathlon is good, but, you know what i mean, not what the world is looking out for. Btw are you a member?

Cheers mate.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:22   #670
Team-BHP Support

Spitfire. How is it going with your new bike?

The RR5.0 and Schwinn Sporterra are 2 bikes I am yet to check out. Hated the Hercules Act 110+. Fell in love with the Trek 7.1 fx.

The Trek is a little expensive at 18.5

I will try and meet the thebikeaffair guys tomorrow and check them out.

Does anyone know if they accept credit cards?

This weekend will pick my cycle.
From next week its 2 days a week on my power and not my motorcycle's horsepower.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:48   #671
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Spitfire. How is it going with your new bike?
Awesome!! Now I am wondering why I didn't do this earlier.

Did about 100 kms already on her.

Have been to office twice on her - 8.5 kms one way. Other days I had to meet some folks so didn't want to smell like a dog. I sweat a lot.

And on an incline hit 43 kmph LOL!! GPS proved .

I am presently using sports-tracker to upload all my cycling data. Any of you guys on there?

The app is a good one, free for Nokia, Android etc.

Quote:
The RR5.0 and Schwinn Sporterra are 2 bikes I am yet to check out.
Check the RR 5.2, upto 5.1 the quality is iffy. I had made up my mind to get a RR so only went and looked at those bikes when I went to buy.

Best of luck on your search. Its fun searching though too.
Old 10th June 2011, 08:30   #672
BHPian

Quote:

I am presently using sports-tracker to upload all my cycling data. Any of you guys on there?

Endomondo works for me. Nokia su**s big time with apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The RR5.0 and Schwinn Sporterra are 2 bikes I am yet to check out. Hated the Hercules Act 110+. Fell in love with the Trek 7.1 fx.

The Trek is a little expensive at 18.5

I will try and meet the thebikeaffair guys tomorrow and check them out.

Does anyone know if they accept credit cards?
RR5.0 - No sus, more-than-basic MTB. Decent components.
Schwinn Spt 2011 - Hybrid. Road focused. Nice components
Trek (presumably) 3700 - Better components. Front sus. Sturdy ride.

So which one would you prefer?
Make sure you get what you want, A Hybrid or A MTB.

Hyd has some nice trails for MTB'ing, but if its for fitness and office stuff, Hybrids' the call.

Saw ur post on BZ too. So u know what u need. Thats nice.

All d best wid ur buy.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by bblost : 10th June 2011 at 09:45. Reason: Please check the post. Thanks.
bikxsans660 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 09:16   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Yes, this is the new RR5.2 model. Heard they took off the XRAM and went with the Shimano.

Quote:
Can you check the manual. I guess this comes with the Bike, and not as a GIFT

Quote:
Wow, you stay close to me. So, any early morning or evening rides?

Quote:
Hope you got this gear by now.

Quote:

I do use endomondo. And its fantastic. If you are more concerned on "viewing" the live stat, then go for the cyclo/bikecomputers. Worth it.

Last edited by mjothi : 10th June 2011 at 09:20.
Old 10th June 2011, 18:32   #674
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes, this is the new RR5.2 model. Heard they took off the XRAM and went with the Shimano.
I remember reading XRAM somewhere on the bike. Let me check.

Quote:
Can you check the manual. I guess this comes with the Bike, and not as a GIFT
Yep you are correct saw it the other day.

Quote:
Wow, you stay close to me. So, any early morning or evening rides?
You do!! Look out for a grumpy looking guy on a RR 5.2 then. Mostly in the mornings at around 0600 to 0700 hours.

Quote:
Hope you got this gear by now.
Err... not yet.

Quote:
I do use endomondo.
You will like sports-tracker too try it. Its quite good. I do have Endomondo put prefer the former.
Old 10th June 2011, 22:27   #675
BANNED

Glad to share that today I finished my first 1000 Kms. Got back to cycling after more than a decade. It all began with a Mach 1 bought an year ago. Took some false starts before I got going around every weekends. From Jan started daily rides and tracking my rides thru cardio trainer on my android phone doing 10-15 km every morning and in 6 months have completed 1000 Km. Small portion of this was on Foldman. Took sometime to identify the best route least traffic (and dogs) but good roads. Have couple of small climbs enroute. Best average has been 18 kmph for the ~12 km ride.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 10th June 2011 at 22:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks