Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 15:20   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Hey Tarun,
Isnt this a mountain bike? Where do you ride it normally?
Why did you choose a mountain bike if you want to stick to city limits?

I am also getting interested.. But want to start with a hybrid bike.
It is a Mountain Bike. I also ride it around where I stay for the odd job here & there and the roads here are terrible. Before I knew anything about good bikes, I almost went ahead and bought those Hero's with front and rear shocks, disc brakes, etc just for these roads !!

The Kemmel has a pretty harsh ride on the bad roads (gravel) and I can imagine how bad a road bike would be with those thin tyres.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:46   #1667

Hello Every one,

Well this my first post on Team BHP ever since i've joined. . .

Wonder why this to be my first post ???

GOT REALLY HOOKED to it till now. . SO much information . . .

Never thought i will run into a thread on Cycles.

I ride a SCOTT aspect 50 MTB. .

Well it would be great if all BHPIANS park their fuel Guzzlers for a day n join in for rides on weekends. . .

HOW ABOUT A RIDE DEDICATED TO THE BHP MEMBERS on weekends. .

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2013 at 08:02.
Old 5th October 2013, 21:40   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
RR5.0 doesnt sell in NCR. Don't even bother.

Please goto cyclofit (ghitorni) for a good range - look at GT/Mongoose as well. Montra is Oh-kay. Being a BSA brand, I don't trust them as much as a GT/Mongoose/Schwinn. They would cut costs on BB/hubs/chains etc even while using standard derailleurs etc.
GT/Mongoose/Schwinn are reputed brands and are in market for pretty long. I would however disagree with your observation on Montra. Leaving aside the 2014 Rock 1.1 and 2014 Rock 1 which are built to cost, the rest of the models use components much better than competition. The only reason why Montra can be bought for cheaper price is because the Frame which constitutes the major cost, is Made in India.
Old 7th October 2013, 06:50   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
GT/Mongoose/Schwinn are reputed brands and are in market for pretty long. I would however disagree with your observation on Montra. Leaving aside the 2014 Rock 1.1 and 2014 Rock 1 which are built to cost, the rest of the models use components much better than competition. The only reason why Montra can be bought for cheaper price is because the Frame which constitutes the major cost, is Made in India.
Manufacturing costs / efficient duty structures aside, you can see the difference in non drivetrain components
http://www.montra.in/2014-montra-blues-1-1.html
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ness/fx/7_1_fx

tektro over promax anyday.

that said, i'm sure montra are much better than suncross who use their own rims and zoom brakes!
http://suncrossbikes.com/mtb.asp?PID...0Cross%20Bikes

but IMHO - if u go with schwinn/GT - you get quality broadly at par with the treks. Montra is a notch lower, but of course, that's just my non-owner (possibly biased) viewpoint.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:40   #1670
Distinguished - BHPian

In middle of all these discussion on cycling & its virtues on your own health & the environment, here is a shocking decision coming from Kolkata. The city has banned cycling altogether. This going to be a great cause of concern for students, newspaper hawkers, milkmen, cycling enthusiasts and to those who cannot afford any other means of travel.

Here is the link to the news item:
http://aajtak.intoday.in/story/ban-o...-1-744059.html

Regards,
Saket
Old 11th October 2013, 20:24   #1671
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well I am a newbie to this thread, I have recently taken up cycling very passionately. Have ridden more than 2000 Kms in the last 5 months. I own a MTB - GT Aggressor 1.0 2011 model which was bought for 22k from Track and Trail company store, Delhi. Unfortunate part is that the small rod which connects the frame to the saddle conked off last week. Since then it has been lying with the dealer waiting for a new frame to be imported from USA!
Old 15th October 2013, 10:05   #1672
BHPian

Hi, Guys I have recently entered into the hobby of cycling and have purchased Bianchi Spillo an wonderful cycle

My routine is to ride my cycle in the morning to an park which is 3Kms away then do an brisk walk for 45min on the track then ride back to home.

I am feeling very comfortable with the cycle and need to thank our forum members in selecting this high end hybrid with 24 gears.

Whoever wants an advice regarding buying an cycle for an start I would sincerely advice them to go for the best ones they can afford as you will be always be tempted to ride it more and not to lose interest as in case if u buy an low end cycle it will give away in few months time and you will look for alternative mode of transport, hope this helps you.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 15th October 2013 at 10:09.
Old 15th October 2013, 10:16   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Whoever wants an advice regarding buying an cycle for an start I would sincerely advice them to go for the best ones they can afford as you will be always be tempted to ride it more and not to lose interest as in case if u buy an low end cycle it will give away in few months time and you will look for alternative mode of transport, hope this helps you.
Very well said, I would also advice newbies to buy the best that they can afford!
Old 15th October 2013, 15:24   #1674
Senior - BHPian

There - corrected it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Very well said, I would also advice newbies to buy the best that they can almost not afford!
Litmus test is whether your wife or better half will throw you out into the balcony on hearing the price or not. Remember - if its greeted with enthusiasm, you left your budget on the table. Not good!!

The sweet spot is where you will get deathly silence for a few days but will avoid sleeping in the balcony.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:15   #1675
BHPian

I'm considering 2014 MONTRA BLUES 1.1 - http://www.montra.in/2014-montra-blues-1-1.html

If anybody has used this bike, please give feedback. I use it for rides around home and I've been doing about 36 km per week in my existing TRAX. I've started going for Sunday morning rides since a week, which is 20+ km.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 16th October 2013 at 20:17.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:17   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I'm considering 2014 MONTRA BLUES 1.1 - http://www.montra.in/2014-montra-blues-1-1.html If anybody has used this bike, please give feedback.
Check with your local track and trail, they generally give an honest feedback. I am getting a Montra city bike as a back up since my bike is under repair at Delhi track and trail.
Old 16th October 2013, 21:49   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Check with your local track and trail, they generally give an honest feedback. I am getting a Montra city bike as a back up since my bike is under repair at Delhi track and trail.
Frankly, I don't know what is local track and trail. Is it the bunch of cycle enthusiasts? The group that I go for Sunday morning ride is managed by an employee of Decathlon. He will suggest to go for Rockriders or BTWIN.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:15   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Frankly, I don't know what is local track and trail. Is it the bunch of cycle enthusiasts? The group that I go for Sunday morning ride is managed by an employee of Decathlon. He will suggest to go for Rockriders or BTWIN.
Track and trail is http://www.trackandtrail.in and it belongs to TI cycles india. Track and trail deals in brands like montra, schwinn, mongoose etc.

This seems to be the store in Thane

Global Bike Station
Shop No 17/18,Soham Plaza, Next to ICICI Bank, Manpada,Ghodbunder Road
Pincode:400607
Email:NULL
Contact No:9833039676
Contact Person:Varun Thakkar
Holiday:NULL
Old 17th October 2013, 08:21   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianjoseph View Post
Track and trail is http://www.trackandtrail.in and it belongs to TI cycles india. Track and trail deals in brands like montra, schwinn, mongoose etc. This seems to be the store in Thane Global Bike Station Shop No 17/18,Soham Plaza, Next to ICICI Bank, Manpada,Ghodbunder Road Pincode:400607 Email:NULL Contact No:9833039676 Contact Person:Varun Thakkar Holiday:NULL
Thanks for your response. I had been to Global Bike Station, with Montra in mind. There was Montra Jazz, 2012 model (₹ 26,500). The dealer said that he can get 2014 models on order. He also showed Huffy model. However, I'm not keen on them as all if their models have shocks below the seat. I will check with him about other brands, such as, Bianchi, Cannondale, Mongoose, Schwinn, etc.
Old 17th October 2013, 15:49   #1680
BHPian

I bought bought FUJI Traverse 1.3(Hybrid ) on 13/10/2013.

It costed me Rs 29500/-. (I started the hunt with a budget of rs 18000/- )
Took it out for a spin today morning for the 1st time .
And hell : The suspension lock out cap which was there when i started off was missing by the time i was back after a 15 km ride.
Attaching pic of the same .

This is not what you want after spending that much on a cycle.

I think it is mistake by going in for a lesser known brand "FUJI"
I bought this from BIKE SHARK Borivli(w) . The guy there - Dhiren has been cooperative so far. But it now needs to be seen that he is actually able to help me on this very promptly.
Again i repeat it is indeed disheartening to see things falling apart right from the 1st ride itself after having spent a fortune.

Regards
Madhu
Attached Images
File Type: bmp small.bmp (673.6 KB, 559 views)

Most Viewed