Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 21:24   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
What I observed is that there are better and much more options in the 25k budget if I go for an MTB with lockable front suspension, I want to know if a hybrid is genuinely a better option than an MTB, for use in the city and occasionally off the road!

Also MTB or Hybrid which brand should I look at in that price range. The Hybrids I saw were all pretty expensive and only the Schwinn Hybrid Sporterra 4 fits my budget, everything else like Cannondale and Bianchi Hybrids are way expensive .
You can go for a MTB with a minimum size of the tyre that the rims can accommodate. Hybrids are not that good for off roading.
Check KHS or Bergamont rsnge of bicycles as an alternative. KHS are a vfm brand and has some good reviews going for it.
Check in the BOTS or wheelsports website for the specs. Both Rohan and Venky can guide you over phone or mail to arrive at your choice.
Old 13th December 2013, 21:57   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Hello team, I am in the process of buying a bicycle, because gym does not catch my fancy anymore. I have a budget of around 25k, went to a lot of shops in Pune and did some research.

What I observed is that there are better and much more options in the 25k budget if I go for an MTB with lockable front suspension, I want to know if a hybrid is genuinely a better option than an MTB, for use in the city and occasionally off the road!

Also MTB or Hybrid which brand should I look at in that price range. The Hybrids I saw were all pretty expensive and only the Schwinn Hybrid Sporterra 4 fits my budget, everything else like Cannondale and Bianchi Hybrids are way expensive .
What is your intended usage? Just to replace the gym? How occasional is the occasional off-road. If its serious offroad even once a month, please take an MTB.

Of course there are gurus like www.dailymile.com/people/RajeshD/ who took his Trek 7100 to MTB himachal and regular offroad rides but its not recommended IMHO.
Old 13th December 2013, 22:03   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What is your intended usage? Just to replace the gym? How occasional is the occasional off-road. If its serious offroad even once a month, please take an MTB.

Of course there are gurus like www.dailymile.com/people/RajeshD/ who took his Trek 7100 to MTB himachal and regular offroad rides but its not recommended IMHO.
My intended use is to replace the gym, also I would eventually want to go on off road trips. Also, why is it that MTB's have better specs than Hybrids in the same price range?
Old 13th December 2013, 23:17   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My intended use is to replace the gym, also I would eventually want to go on off road trips. Also, why is it that MTB's have better specs than Hybrids in the same price range?
ok, if off road, then MTBs it is.

What gave you the impression that MTBs have better specs than hybrids? Thats by and large incorrect.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:17   #1745
BANNED

An Update:

Just bought a cycle computer from Ebay.in for Rs. 410 (Actual price is 950 but I have a code which I used during checkout and got the discount)

It is a decent one with a white back light for night time usage. Detachable when not in use to avoid theft.

Average Speed:
The Bicycles thread-avg-speed.jpg

Maximum Speed:
The Bicycles thread-max-speed.jpg

Calories (Instant)
The Bicycles thread-calories-instant.jpg

K Calories
The Bicycles thread-k-cal.jpg

Clock
The Bicycles thread-clock.jpg

Odometer
The Bicycles thread-odometer.jpg

Trip meter
The Bicycles thread-trip.jpg

Ride Time
The Bicycles thread-ride-time.jpg

Minimum Temperature
The Bicycles thread-min-temp.jpg

Maximum Temperature
The Bicycles thread-max-temp.jpg

The above pictures are of my today's ride with the cycle computer and works well. Installation is easy and if in doubts there are multiple videos for installation on YouTube.

Anurag.
Old 14th December 2013, 16:57   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

A pleasant read for cyclists and would-be ones...
The Science Behind Why Cycling Makes Us Happier
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 23:43   #1747
BHPian

Cycling gurus in T-BHP: I have a real stupid question My wife has recently whimsically purchased a bicycle . Its a non-geared one, Hercules Streetrider. She has no idea about diff types of bicycles and simply purchased it as it was suggested by her close colleague. Now its lying idle in the garage. My question is, can I fit an after-market gear-assembly to this cycle? I am planning to ride this to my office ~ 5Km one way.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 15th December 2013 at 23:44.
Old 16th December 2013, 01:08   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A pleasant read for cyclists and would-be ones...
The Science Behind Why Cycling Makes Us Happier
That was a very informative article. Thanks a ton for sharing it. High time to get bitten by the cycle bug I presume. Now time to search for a perfect cycle !
Old 16th December 2013, 08:23   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I am planning to ride this to my office ~ 5Km one way.
No guru here, but why don't you try out riding to office as-is for 2-3 days? If you like the experience, installing a gearset is no big deal. Neither is upgrading - there's always OLX and Quikr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Manohar View Post
That was a very informative article. Thanks a ton for sharing it. High time to get bitten by the cycle bug I presume. Now time to search for a perfect cycle !
Thanks, and welcome to the charm of cycling already!
Old 16th December 2013, 21:46   #1750
BHPian

I thought I'd write up a review of the B'Twin Rockrider 5.0 after riding my first 50 km to work (and back lately) on it.

Most reviews I've found have been written by experts and seasoned bicyclists.

Since I began cycling after a gap of about 10 years a month ago, I thought I'd aim this at newbies and for people who have long ago given up the saddle for a comfortable seat, replete with aircon and other creature comforts. And especially for those who are growing horizontally and weigh in excess of 115 kilos.

So after that verbose intro, let's begin.

I picked up the Rockrider online on sports365.in. Cost me 9400 rupees including shipping and delivery happened in about a week. Quick delivery, great customer support. Overall, superb experience.

Last Friday, a massive Decathlon box was waiting for me when I got home from work.

Before I even got out of my work clothes, I began tearing open the box. But the quality of the packaging had my scissors asking for mercy. It took me about ten minutes to open the box and remove the packaging materials and take out the bike itself. So big win on the package. Durable with not a single scratch on the box even.

The bicycle itself is wrapped up like a baby inside in plastic and corrugated paper, with the handlebars askew. All you need to do is straighten them and tighten them with Allen key (supplied). And you also have to screw on the pedals.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_210235.png
Views: 1876
Size:  545.5 KB

The little bag hanging from the top bar is the instruction sheet and the tools are in the box with the pedals.

Setup took no time at all (except for the tearing of the said plastic and paper wrapping) and I took her for a brisk ride around my building. Loved the speed and the crisp gear changes after my three weeks with my Hercules Atom 18 gear bike (that had a full suspension setup - yes. I didn't read the guidelines before I acquired the Hercules)

All set up:

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_211219.png
Views: 2033
Size:  558.2 KB

The first day of riding to work was tough. After the upright seating position on the Hercules, the forward position on this was different. And felt uncomfortable. While the speed difference was apparent from the first minute, the riding position seemed a bit tiring on my shoulders, butt and thighs. My thighs were so sore by the time I reached office that I left the bicycle at work and took a cab home. The next day, I rode home after work and it still pained. Distance clocked was 14 km.

The next day, I drove to work. The xuv wasn't getting any Love and I thought I needed to rectify that.

A day later, I was ready to ride the bike to work. It didn't feel as tiring by the time I got to work. And riding back felt good. Went to sleep at 9 pm on a Friday, but that's another story.

Today, I rode to work and loved it. The seating position is a joy. Yes, my padded shorts helped but I like the riding position. Riding home from work back too was awesome. No fatigue, no back pain, no butt pain. Wee bit of soreness still on the thighs but I could go on for another couple of kilometers easily. So I did. Did a quick lap of Bandra and came home. Brought the odo upto to 50 kilometers.

ACCESSORIES:

Since I'm saving so much money on diesel, I obviously have to waste some of it. So I trawl the intertubes and look for gadgets and gizmos. In fact, it's become such a problem that the office reception bow just rings me when they see any courier person at the door. Maybe I need help.

Among the gadgets, that arrived in no particular order and continue to arrive every day, I've boughr:

Sundig wired speedometer - bought off eBay. 420 rupees.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_211641.png
Views: 1923
Size:  547.5 KB

B'Twin Kickstand (the bike doesn't come with one) - bought off flipkart.com, 599 rupees

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_211808.png
Views: 1946
Size:  498.7 KB

B'Twin Front Vioo USB chargeable headlamp - flipkart.com, 799 rupees

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_212205.png
Views: 3473
Size:  583.0 KB

B'Twin Bottle Cage - flipkart.com, 129 rupees
B'Twin SP5 - flipkart for 499 rupees

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_211957.png
Views: 1873
Size:  533.5 KB

And then this nifty gadget - it creates a laser Lane as well as has a led light at the back. Extremely gimmicky but cool all the same. Cost me 900 bucks on snapdeal and it's rechargeable.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131216_212513.png
Views: 1847
Size:  567.5 KB

On order is a mobile phone holder and a horn, from playmore.in

NOW FOR THE NIGGLES:

The brakes were set too tight on the bike and so they were brushing when not pressed and we're making me do stoppies and wheelies (mainly stoppies) at every traffic light. After much experimenting, I discovered that the shoes could be eased up a bit by removing a single washer. So that's what I did and today, absolutely no wheelies or stoppies.

Initially I wanted to get a stem riser but after a few days, I'm OK with the handlebars. Maybe I'll have to get them if I want to do more than just 10k on a ride. But for now, I'm a happy camper.

Another niggle is that the gear markers don't line up with the actual gears. So you have to go to 3 and a half to get three on the front sprocket, 2 and a half for 2 and that sorta thing.

TOTAL EXPENSES SO FAR: about 14k (including 2 pairs of padded Btwin shorts)

Wow. That was the first time I totaled all those expenses up. Now that I've suddenly had a mini panic attack, maybe I'll refrain from further pimping up my ride. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for reading this long and verbose review.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:01   #1751
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Another niggle is that the gear markers don't line up with the actual gears. So you have to go to 3 and a half to get three on the front sprocket, 2 and a half for 2 and that sorta thing.
I to have felt this issue but I guess the solution that I have found is when changing from 2 to 3 (left hand) The rear gear must be in 5 or 6. I tried doing this and it slots perfectly when pointed at 3. Can you just try it?!

Quote:

Now that I've suddenly had a mini panic attack, maybe I'll refrain from further pimping up my ride. Let me know what you guys think.
I am not far behind you on pimping up my ride.

I have bought:

Hand pump
Bell
Bottle holder
Bottle
Lock
Speedometer
Stand.

+ Cycle = 13200.

Things to be bought:

Helmet
Padded shorts
Lights.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 16th December 2013 at 22:04.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:43   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello folks!
Any suggestions for a bike rack holder that I can borrow (or rent) for a week? Need to transport my cycle from Pune to Mumbai (and back too). Will be getting my car (for other reasons) so I could also get my cycle.

On an alternate option, any cycling samaratarian based out of Mumbai who wouldn't mind sharing his cycle for a week? Guaranteed treat

Or if no such options, can anyone provide any shops where I can rent a cycle for hire in Mumbai?
Old 18th December 2013, 05:46   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Or if no such options, can anyone provide any shops where I can rent a cycle for hire in Mumbai?
There is a shop called Happy Cycles at 3rd Pasta Lane, Colaba which rents cycles out. Decent quality, albeit Hero Octane and the likes. Opens at 6 am. Have rented several times from him as I evaluate whether or not to invest in a bike. Google for the number.
Old 18th December 2013, 12:12   #1754
BHPian

Premium cycles to rent all over Mumbai https://www.facebook.com/breathebicycles/info?ref=br_tf
Old 18th December 2013, 13:51   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow. That was the first time I totaled all those expenses up. Now that I've suddenly had a mini panic attack, maybe I'll refrain from further pimping up my ride. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for reading this long and verbose review.
When you've been at it for a couple of years and really get into it, then like slr or audio, you'll be talking Lakhs!

That said, welcome and congratulations!

Please join a good regular cycling club else you may not stick to it as much.

Honest advice : unless you bought the higher end shorts, sell the btwin ones back if possible. They are bad stuff compared to even the Chinese stuff you get on dx.com, esp for overweight folks like you and me! Will pm u a pro tip separately!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks