Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 20:34   #1861
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

finnally a randonner. completed my first 200km coimbatore brevet!
Old 7th April 2014, 13:56   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post

And atlast I came across this much affordable low risk bike The BTWIN MYBIKE. Even if I stop cycling not much to loose.
As there are no shops selling imported bikes nearby I relied on Online shops. And there comes SnapDeal. After reading so many negative reviews on "The Online Shopping" thread over here I was very sceptical.
But I went ahead and ordered on March 12th. And since then everyday I checked and there was not much movement of my shipment ala the way Flipkart gives a visual of the movement of our order.
And on March 19th I get a call from Bluedart. Here is the biggest courier package ever coming to my house.
I was thinking about buying a cycle for myself / my son for sometime and checked few shops. However, for some reason i was not taken the decision to buy. Then when i checked your post, i decided not to prolong the process the decided to buy through online BTWIN MyBIKE.

Booked in http://www.sports365.in/ on 1st April and got it delivered on 5th. Assembling the cycle is simple and it is up and running in less than 30 min. The CD supposed to come with the package was missing but i haven't faced any issue in assembling. What i love about the cycle is that simplicity and look. The cycle is made with what needed at minimum (Just frame, tyres, pedel, brake and handle). Looks unique among the crowd. The quality is good, it is sturdy.

I wanted to buy the Size S so that it will be ideal for my son, but the stock availability was only M and L that time. Ordered the size M which will be the right size for me and i thought i can buy one for my Son later. But with seat positioned at lowest level, it just gets to the right level for my son.

The cost comes to 4.7K including courier charges. Planning to add few accessories (Bell, side stand, lock and may be a bottle holder) which will cost another 1K.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-c1.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-c2.jpg  

Old 7th April 2014, 14:56   #1863
t18
BHPian

Congratulations r_devakumar . Yes, the bike charms with its simplicity. Happy biking. Here are a few accessories I added, bought from local bicycle store.

Stand. Rs. 90.
The Bicycles thread-img_20140322_123633.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20140322_123725.jpg

Bell. Rs. 50.
The Bicycles thread-img_20140322_124546.jpg

Locks Rs.160 for 2.
The Bicycles thread-img_20140322_123830.jpg

I also bought the BTWIN bottle holder for Rs.199 and Btwin Dc-4S cycle computer for Rs.567 from Snapdeal.
Old 7th April 2014, 19:38   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Which particular series of Maxxis slick are available? Came across this page that has some positive reviews on the Xenith series.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...56_151crx.aspx

What is the price? I would say go ahead and try it out. It will only be an improvement over the knobby tires.
So I visited a few shops over the weekend. One of the shops being Gulab Sales - had heard good feedback from colleagues. The owner was patient to hear my quandry and he suggested these tires, as apparently he's got the same on his bike.

So I have got Maxxis Detonator 26X1.5 - this / this seems to be the exact tire - do check out the feedback on both threads.

Too early to give feedback on the same, but the grip is good, and durable too. By chance I had to ride the tires offroad yesterday, and they have endured the same without any issues. Shall be sharing a detailed feedback on the same by this weekend while I attempt >30km rides over this week.

Cost: 1,050 INR (per tire)
Rated at 80 psi

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th April 2014 at 19:42.
Old 7th April 2014, 19:52   #1865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So I visited a few shops over the weekend. One of the shops being Gulab Sales - had heard good feedback from colleagues. The owner was patient to hear my quandry and he suggested these tires, as apparently he's got the same on his bike.

So I have got Maxxis Detonator 26X1.5 - this / this seems to be the exact tire - do check out the feedback on both threads.

Too early to give feedback on the same, but the grip is good, and durable too. By chance I had to ride the tires offroad yesterday, and they have endured the same without any issues. Shall be sharing a detailed feedback on the same by this weekend while I attempt >30km rides over this week.

Cost: 1,050 INR (per tire)
Rated at 80 psi
The tire looks quite good. The main area of contact is quite smooth which will reduce rolling resistance. And the treads on the side will give you grip during cornering maneuvers. I am sure your average speed will bump up by a few kmph for sure. Let us know more about your experience after riding some distance
Old 8th April 2014, 08:01   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I was thinking about buying a cycle for myself / my son for sometime and checked few shops. However, for some reason i was not taken the decision to buy. Then when i checked your post, i decided not to prolong the process the decided to buy through online BTWIN MyBIKE.

Booked in http://www.sports365.in/ on 1st April and got it delivered on 5th. Assembling the cycle is simple and it is up and running in less than 30 min. The CD supposed to come with the package was missing but i haven't faced any issue in assembling. What i love about the cycle is that simplicity and look. The cycle is made with what needed at minimum (Just frame, tyres, pedel, brake and handle). Looks unique among the crowd. The quality is good, it is sturdy.

I wanted to buy the Size S so that it will be ideal for my son, but the stock availability was only M and L that time. Ordered the size M which will be the right size for me and i thought i can buy one for my Son later. But with seat positioned at lowest level, it just gets to the right level for my son.

The cost comes to 4.7K including courier charges. Planning to add few accessories (Bell, side stand, lock and may be a bottle holder) which will cost another 1K.

Hi Devakumar, I bought the same cycle from the Decathlon store here in Pune for 3700/- their list price is 4000/- and 200/- introductory discount

This Decathlon store beats anything that I have seen so far, what range and what prices, a game changer in outdoor sports merchandise in India
Old 8th April 2014, 11:28   #1867
BHPian

Hi all. Bought a Firefox 'Cyclone' for myself and my daughter's dual use. Intend to start cycling soon. Spirits are high till now. May take the cycle to office too. Only worried about the excessive sweating once I reach office and then sitting with it throughout the day in office.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:14   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
Hi all. Bought a Firefox 'Cyclone' for myself and my daughter's dual use. Intend to start cycling soon. Spirits are high till now. May take the cycle to office too. Only worried about the excessive sweating once I reach office and then sitting with it throughout the day in office.
I cycle to work on average 3 times a week. I've found that it's impossible to work after cycling and NOT showering. For a month, the gym in my office was closed for renovation and I just stopped cycling.

Now that it's back up, I'm back to riding to work. But the point of this post is that a shower is pretty much essential if you want to feel clean and comfortable at work.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:23   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
May take the cycle to office too. Only worried about the excessive sweating once I reach office and then sitting with it throughout the day in office.
Frankly, in Indian weather conditions, I think the only way to use the bike for office commute is to have one set of clothes for biking and other for office use. I took my bicycle once to office. The experience at all was not pleasant. Especially, with cotton clothes, it takes ages to dry.
Old 8th April 2014, 14:58   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
Congratulations r_devakumar . Yes, the bike charms with its simplicity. Happy biking. Here are a few accessories I added, bought from local bicycle store.
Thank You. I am thinking about buying the accessories online, but the stand is out of stock in all the stores. Otherwise, i will get them in the local stores this week end (will save some good amount of money).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Hi Devakumar, I bought the same cycle from the Decathlon store here in Pune for 3700/- their list price is 4000/- and 200/- introductory discount

This Decathlon store beats anything that I have seen so far, what range and what prices, a game changer in outdoor sports merchandise in India
One of my friend interested in buying after seeming mine, but it looks like all online stores are out of stock of this model now.
Old 8th April 2014, 20:36   #1871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
finnally a randonner. completed my first 200km coimbatore brevet!
Congratulations on completing the 200km brevet! Do you do regular long rides? Which routes do you take? I too am from Coimbatore and it would be great if I could also join you on your long rides. As I do not have any company, my regular rides are limited to 20km to 30km with occasional 50K+ rides.

It would be great if we could exchange contact details through PM and do some long rides together.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:03   #1872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May take the cycle to office too. Only worried about the excessive sweating once I reach office and then sitting with it throughout the day in office.
A lot depends on what time you leave for office, how windy/open the route is and what you carry with you. Till last month I used to cycle to office on alternate days - distance being 15 kms one side. No shower options in office, I used to carry an extra set of clothes with me and kept deodrant at office.

The system was quite manageable without any strain on my work. I suggest you give it a try and see if you can work with a similar setup.

P.s. I stopped doing it as it became quite a safety risk wrt the traffic on the route I take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I cycle to work on average 3 times a week. I've found that it's impossible to work after cycling and NOT showering. For a month, the gym in my office was closed for renovation and I just stopped cycling.

Now that it's back up, I'm back to riding to work. But the point of this post is that a shower is pretty much essential if you want to feel clean and comfortable at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Frankly, in Indian weather conditions, I think the only way to use the bike for office commute is to have one set of clothes for biking and other for office use.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:07   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on completing the 200km brevet! Do you do regular long rides? Which routes do you take? I too am from Coimbatore and it would be great if I could also join you on your long rides. As I do not have any company, my regular rides are limited to 20km to 30km with occasional 50K+ rides.

It would be great if we could exchange contact details through PM and do some long rides together.
hi
there is a fast growing group of cyclists in coimbatore who ride almost every day. i suggest you visit the coimbatore cycling facebook page and u will be in the loop. if u get stuck gimme a pm.

By the way, the route was cbe to sainik school and back. it was this sunday, awesome ride and company. The maiden coimbatore brevet.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:53   #1874
Distinguished - BHPian

About till 2 months back, I used to cycle to office - a distance around 15 kms each side. Quite a few colleagues (mostly those I have never spoken to earlier) would stop at my desk on seeing the helmet and inquire if I cycle in a kind of semi-admiring way and then ask a few basic questions.

Today one gentleman comes to me, says he took inspiration from me and has started cycling to office. His reasoning went like this - his place is a lot closer, so if I could, then why couldn't he! Shared contacts and then we went our way. But it felt a lot nice to be in such a situation

P.s. I had stopped the office rides due to safety issues on the route I have to take. But this incident has kinda made me start thinking again.
Old 9th April 2014, 20:13   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Finally a Randonneur.
Completed my first 200 Kms Coimbatore brevet !
Hello,
That is quite a milestone for the recreational cyclist, which I presume you are ( forgive me if you aren't )
I believe the 200 Kms of such an event have to be completed in 13 to 14 hours ( !?! ), is this true ?
Can I ask what kind of preparation or training, at your end, was involved for this event ?

Last edited by im_srini : 9th April 2014 at 20:21.

Most Viewed