Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2014, 11:47   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Finally ordered a btwin riverside 3 men at a great price of 20000 + 2000 for freight. the deal is better than any online purchase for people who do not have decathlon store in their area. Just talk to the nearest store.
Old 1st September 2014, 20:33   #2042
BANNED

Was glued to this thread for the past few weeks, as bicycle bug has bitten me again. This time excuse is to burn thin layer of fat from around the waist (aiming for six-packs in 3 months time), so, bicycle will replace my daily ride to gym, apart from this I'd be using it on week'nds for little extra stretch.

Looking for suggestion from you guys on which one to go for (I'm completely naive in this field, have no experience in cycling apart from my MTB Hercules in school days )
My requirements would be:
Usage: 3 to 4 KM for 3 to 4 days a week, ~ 10km 1 to 2 days a week
Budget: 5 to 10K
Height: 6', Weight: 80 kG

PS: As it will be like an extended work out (not looking for long distance touring) even gear less option would be ok? seniors please suggest.

PS 1: Fellow BHPian Apology if this sounds weird
Old 1st September 2014, 21:00   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post

PS: As it will be like an extended work out (not looking for long distance touring) even gear less option would be ok? seniors please suggest.

For 3 to 10 kms, you don't even need a geared bike. You can try Btwin Mybike, single speed bicycle.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:24   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Was glued to this thread for the past few weeks, as bicycle bug has bitten me again. This time excuse is to burn thin layer of fat from around the waist (aiming for six-packs in 3 months time), so, bicycle will replace my daily ride to gym, apart from this I'd be using it on week'nds for little extra stretch.

Looking for suggestion from you guys on which one to go for (I'm completely naive in this field, have no experience in cycling apart from my MTB Hercules in school days )

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
For 3 to 10 kms, you don't even need a geared bike. You can try Btwin Mybike, single speed bicycle.
I had thought of buying Btwin Mybike which is single speed. But after reading through bike forums, it was found that it is healthier to get a geared bike. It helps reduce strain on knees as the terrain we usually ride on wont be as flat as a race track always. So, to prevent over straining your knees, even for short distance riding, in regular terrain, a geared bike is more recommended. That is what I found out from Pro biking discussion forums and videos.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:36   #2045
Senior - BHPian

My GYRO floor pump is not locking on to the schrader valve on either tires. I have tried to unscrew the portion that fits and it looks just fine. How do i find what is wrong with it?
Old 4th September 2014, 11:53   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If budget is less than 10k --> Btwin My bike 7S (with 7 Gears)
else --> Btwin Riverside 3 Man ( 24 gear combination)
Old 4th September 2014, 12:29   #2047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
If budget is less than 10k --> Btwin My bike 7S (with 7 Gears)
else --> Btwin Riverside 3 Man ( 24 gear combination)
Thank you @ ruchirtnt & others for suggest !
I think it will be: 'Btwin My bike 7S',
Would check out Deathlon this week'nd
Old 4th September 2014, 19:54   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Does any one know if we can source this item in India. Its called a fork mount. You can remove wheels of the bike and lock in onto this to hold it steady in car.

The Bicycles thread-y01117_1000.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 19:06. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 6th September 2014, 10:28   #2049
BHPian

Tuning: Seat and handle bar height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
It is not for serious biking. My son wants me to accompany him when he goes cycling around the colony. I suppose a bike with handle bar higher than saddle (less bending) and with rear suspension will help, right? I do not need gears.
This cycle may be ideal for your taste i.e to sit upright and ride in touring mode:
http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/cycl...y/p-245866.htm

Having said that, there are some more factors to consider:

When you sit upright:
(1) the complete weight of your body will be on the seat and also the spine is in a vertical position. Then, the undulations from the road will tend to pass up through your spine An already bad back may deteriorate further because of that. You may be able to relate the back pain experiences shared by 2 wheeler riders who go regularly over bad roads

(2) The complete effort of pedaling falls on your thigh muscles and the opportunity to use the biggest muscles in your body ( the glutes ) to generate more power is minmal

As children, we were used to cycling with low seats so that we can reach the ground, whereby ending up sitting upright. Then as adults, we may tend to continue to be comfortable with the same posture.

Search for Le monde or Hamilton method in Google for finding your ideal saddle height. After adjusting the seat height, next is to adjust the handle bar height. Handle bar can at least be placed at least as low as seat height so that it will make a 45 degree angle for the upper body wr to the seat. Also, for better control, it is better to have a posture where the majority of the weight on the saddle (may be 70%) and the rest 30% on the handlebars

When I re-started cycling as an adult, initially, I was feeling more comfortable with upright posture on a low saddle with raised handle bars. Then I slowly tuned the bike to raise the seat height and lower the handle bars.

It may take a while for the muscle groups to get adjusted but once used to, it makes hell a lot of positive impact in terms of efficiency and power. After being accustomed, the leaning posture will be more comfortable than the upright one too.

Last edited by B103 : 6th September 2014 at 10:35.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:30   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
finally ordered a btwin riverside 3 men at a great price of 20000 + 2000 for freight.
Can you share location of store you ordered , Lowest at Chandigarh store for this is 24000

I need one for my Kid who is in grade 10 for normal usage like school / tuition's - he found Original 7 better & more complete specially with soft saddle . Stores have no discount on this model , I am confused if I should pick - Higher MRP Less Discounted one or Lower MRP no Discount

Old 6th September 2014, 18:22   #2051
VKS
BHPian

^I recently bought a rockrider from Snapdeal. They were running a 20% discount some time back and were cheapest among the online portals. You can buy from them .
Old 6th September 2014, 21:50   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you share location of store you ordered , Lowest at Chandigarh store for this is 24000

I too bought Btwin Riverside 3 from Decathlon store, Sarjapur road, Bangalore a month back for 19,999. I see many online sites including those of Decathlon, India website quoting ~ 34K for this cycle. Call the Decathlon store near you or walk in directly and then may be you get the real price.

I have seen people trying to sell 2 year old Riverside 3 in Olx for 24K. So it is pretty clear that they had paid more for this cycle 2 years back than what I have paid now.

Last edited by B103 : 6th September 2014 at 21:56.
Old 6th September 2014, 21:59   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I too bought Btwin Riverside 3 from Decathlon store, Sarjapur road, Bangalore a month back for 19,999.
Thanks , but what will you suggest - Riverside - which has MRP @ 35000 and retails @ Rs 20-23 or Original 7
Old 6th September 2014, 22:11   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I too bought Btwin Riverside 3 from Decathlon store, Sarjapur road, Bangalore a month back for 19,999. I see many online sites including those of Decathlon, India website quoting ~ 34K for this cycle. Call the Decathlon store near you or walk in directly and then may be you get the real price.

I have seen people trying to sell 2 year old Riverside 3 in Olx for 24K. So it is pretty clear that they had paid more for this cycle 2 years back than what I have paid now.
Riverside 3 @Decathlon, Wagholi, Pune - 20K - 02 weeks ago. Nework 3.0 @ ~13k.
Old 7th September 2014, 09:30   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks, but what will you suggest - Riverside - which has MRP @ 35000 and retails @ Rs 20-23 or Original 7
That is a difficult question to answer. I will explain a bit of how it happened to me. Hope I do not bore you.

A month back, I went to Decathlon store and asked for a hybrid bike for office commute (9 km one way) and they suggested Riverside 3. I was showed one more model but it ws not Network 3. I was not keen on MTBs, as I was planning to use it for office commute.

Riverside 3 was delivered to me with high saddle and low handlebar ( of course it was not tuned to my height). I started to office with a laptop in in my shoulder bag. Needless to say the first day did not go very well. I was trying to sit upright and then struggling to reach the handlebar with the palm.

So, I went back to Decathlon asking them to lower the seat and lift the handle bar. Thereafter, I cycled around for one or two weeks like that. At this point of time, to be honest, I was not knowing how to use cycle gears and about tuning the seat and handle bar height for my physique.

Once, I spent some time and learned these things (from Google), I re-tuned the cycle for me. It used to take close to 40 mins to cover 9 km earlier to work and only 30 mins now. You can easily feel the difference in efficiency and the pedaling power that you can generate.

To compare between the 2 models:
(1) Network 3 has kind of a rear shock absorber (on the frame) which may be useful. I found it difficult to sit on the seat of Riverside 3 and Decathlon did not have a suspension seatpost (pole on which seat is mounted with a suspension) for this model. I went to Hercules cycle store and bought a seat with spring beneath it for 200 Rs and installed it myself. A great relief !!

(2) Network 3 is approx 3 kgs heavier than Riverside 3. The more weight the cycle has the more force you have to apply to move it around. The additional suspension of Network 3 will add to the weight

(3) Network 3 is a unisex model which means you as well as the ladies in your family can use it. Riverside 3 is meant for men only.

(4) A bad lower or upper back is not good for any sort of 2 wheeler.

If you are in good physical condition and would like to cycle around for descent number of kms then I would recommend Riverside 3. It would definitely go faster than Network 3 and is more lighter too.

On the other hand, if you have no back problem but not in great shape and is not looking for speed or efficency and is looking for a bike for occasional use like going to a near by shop, then it is Network 3. When I returned to Decathlon, I tried Network 3 and it is a good bike.

I don't think you can sit in the 45 degree position in that as Riverside because of the design. Again it is less pricey than Riverside 3.

Last edited by B103 : 7th September 2014 at 09:36.

Most Viewed