Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 12:58   #2071
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I need help on the manual for my BSA bike carrier. Wanted to go for the Cycle day with the rack but could not trace the manual and was bit confused on loading the rack without the manual. It's a 3 bike carrier.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:10   #2072
Senior - BHPian

I bought following accessories for my riverside3

1. Btwin Helmet - Rs. 999
2. Btwin Front & back lights - 1299
3. Btwin saddle bag - 299

All these items from Decathlon, Noida and below one from indialetsplay

1. Btwin FLP Pump - 927
2. Computer 4 wired - 603
Old 19th September 2014, 18:28   #2073
BANNED

Finally zeroed in upon Rock Rider 5.0. Just walked in to Decathlon, Sarjapura, Bangalore, made few test rides & liked all of them but owing to the budget restriction < 10K decided for this bike.
Was initially a bit tentative (owing to my back pain) but drove it from Decathlon to HSR ~ 9 km without any trace of back pain & sign of fatigue (I was driving a bi cycle after a gap of 12 years).
Accessories purchased includes:
1. Stand
2. Seat Cover
3. Lock
Total investment: 9966 INR (including accessories), they where apparently running some discount on the bike. The Bar code the the bicycle reads ~11.8 K INR.
Still getting used to gear shifting & stuffs. Not been to long ride yet.
So far so good, only niggle I'm facing is the chain touches the fixture when driving in 3rd front gear, which may cause wear apart from annoying noise.
Planning to visit Decathlon this week'nd to purchase: Helmet, Googles & LED lights.

Can some one suggest whether making online purchase or Decathlon will be more economical ?

Thanks to all fellow BHPian for guidance.

BTW: Loved the army print T-Shirt collection @ Decathlon
Old 21st September 2014, 08:28   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
Finally zeroed in upon Rock Rider 5.0. Just walked in to Decathlon, Sarjapura, Bangalore, made few test rides & liked all of them but owing to the budget restriction < 10K decided for this bike.
Congratulations, TurboGuru. My Riverside 3 is also from Decathlon, Sarjapur road

Was initially a bit tentative (owing to my back pain) but drove it from Decathlon to HSR ~ 9 km without any trace of back pain & sign of fatigue (I was driving a bi cycle after a gap of 12 years).
Accessories purchased includes:
1. Stand
2. Seat Cover
3. Lock
Total investment: 9966 INR (including accessories), they where apparently running some discount on the bike. The Bar code the the bicycle reads ~11.8 K INR.

Quote:
Still getting used to gear shifting & stuffs. Not been to long ride yet.
So far so good, only niggle I'm facing is the chain touches the fixture when driving in 3rd front gear, which may cause wear apart from annoying noise.
Planning to visit Decathlon this week'nd to purchase: Helmet, Googles & LED lights.
You could consider these accessories too:

(1) One or two reflective yellow or orange color T-shirts. I found them in Decathlon running department. From first hand experience of cycling in Bangalore, it helps very much to be visible.

(2) A pair of of Btwin or Quechua gloves with some padding on the palm side. It helps absorb the shocks from handlebar and will also help in the extreme case of loosing balance and landing on the ground. The tendency is to put the palm down first.

(3) If the cycle has a rear carrier, the bungee chords available in Decathlon can be used for securing something like a bag. I carry my laptop bag in the carrier.

Quote:
Can some one suggest whether making online purchase or Decathlon will be more economical ?
Online Decathlon purchases are costly. I do not recommend it.

For example. the price of this bike which I bought ( http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/cycl...n/p-248373.htm ) is 35K online. I got it for 20K from the store.

Quote:
Thanks to all fellow BHPian for guidance. BTW: Loved the army print T-Shirt collection @ Decathlon
Please share your experience and learning with us also. It helps to know from each other

Last edited by B103 : 21st September 2014 at 08:32.
Old 24th September 2014, 21:47   #2075
Team-BHP Support

Last Sunday, successfully completed my first 200km Brevet in Coimbatore. The route was Coimbatore - Annur - Avinashi - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Coimbatore. Finished a total of 212km in about 13:15 hours, with a ride time of 10:15 hours. 31 people started and 15 finished - I being the last.

The Bicycles thread-ride-data.jpg

The first half of the ride was relatively easy. There were three control points till Kangeyam. I had a healthy 1 hour buffer time at the third control point at 125km. However, after Kangeyam, a combination of insane head winds and long gradual climbs made the ride almost like climbing a hill. Especially after Palladam, there was a 10km stretch right through wind farms, where the wind mills were spinning crazy and we were riding against this wind. At this point I was even thinking why am I doing this crazy thing at this age (maybe a sign of midlife crisis)!! At the fourth control point at 169km, the buffer time reduced from 1 hour to just 10 minutes. Reached the fifth control point at 194km with just 5 minutes to spare. The last 15km had to be covered in 40 minutes through heavy traffic and it was a race against time. Reached the finish line at the nick of time.

The ride log.
The Bicycles thread-ride-log.jpg

Heart rate data.
The Bicycles thread-heart-rate.jpg

I was planning to complete the ride with 70% in Z2. And for most part of the first half I was able to achieve this goal. However, the severe head winds in the 2nd half meant that I finished the ride with most part of the ride in Z3!

Overall a very painful but satisfying experience. No words to describe the feeling after completing the ride!
Old 25th September 2014, 09:43   #2076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Last Sunday, successfully completed my first 200km Brevet in Coimbatore. The route was Coimbatore - Annur - Avinashi - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Coimbatore. Finished a total of 212km in about 13:15 hours, with a ride time of 10:15 hours. 31 people started and 15 finished - I being the last.
Congratulations! Welcome to the randonneur club

Do remember there is no first and last in a BRM - everyone is at the same level (although I know the feeling of coming last )

Quote:
Overall a very painful but satisfying experience. No words to describe the feeling after completing the ride!
Oh it is awesome indeed. Very very gratifying. And immediately the obvious Q arrives - when is the next one?
Old 25th September 2014, 10:07   #2077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations! Welcome to the randonneur club

Do remember there is no first and last in a BRM - everyone is at the same level (although I know the feeling of coming last )...
Thank you for the wishes Ninja. Though I am aware that in randaonneuring finishing matters and the list of finishers is announced based on alphabetical order and not in the finishing order, there is still this trace of competitive spirit which makes one feel bad to finish last

Planning a few months of practice before attempting the next one.
Old 25th September 2014, 14:35   #2078
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Finally zeroed in upon Rock Rider 5.0. .....
.... Total investment: 9966 INR (including accessories), they where apparently running some discount on the bike.
Congratulations, TurboGuru.
I am planning to buy pretty much the same configuration this weekend. Do you know if the discount offer is stil on? If not, I may end up with the MyBike 7 as I dont want to spend more than 10K.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th October 2014 at 20:09. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:37   #2079
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
Quote:
Finally zeroed in upon Rock Rider 5.0. .....
.... Total investment: 9966 INR (including accessories), they where apparently running some discount on the bike.
Congratulations, TurboGuru.
I am planning to buy pretty much the same configuration this weekend. Do you know if the discount offer is stil on? If not, I may end up with the MyBike 7 as I dont want to spend more than 10K.
I think the discounts are still on.
BTW i also went to Decathlon with My bike in mind but it was not in stock & ended up with this beauty.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th October 2014 at 20:09. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 28th September 2014, 17:34   #2080
Senior - BHPian

My bike, a newbie to cycling.
The Bicycles thread-img_4013.jpg
These are the specs.
Frame: Big 7 Speed ​​
Alloy Fork: 27 Sun Tour XCM HLO 100
Crankset: Shimano M131 42-34 -24 CG
Front derailleur: Shimano M190
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 Cassette: Shimano CS-HG31 11-32 8s
Chain: KMC Z51 8s
Brakes: Promax DSK 160 Hydraulic
Gear: Shimano SL-M310
Shift rod: Merida Speed ​​SB12 27.2
Handlebar:Merida Comp OS 660
Flat Front hub: Alloy Disc QR
Rear Hub: Alloy Disc QR
Pedals: XC Alloy
Rims: Merida Big 7 D
Tyres: Merida 27 2.1
Weight: 13.9

Also got Sigma BC12.12 cycle computer.
The Bicycles thread-img_4019.jpg
Old 29th September 2014, 09:29   #2081
BHPian

Never knew this thread existed on TBHP :-|

I am a later convert to cycling. Bought a Giant Rincon Disc last October and a Triban 5 just a week ago. I ride 3-4 times (for 40-50 kms) during weekdays and 2 long rides of 80-100 kms on weekends. Cycling has helped me in losing 10 kgs and 3 inches off my waist. My back-ache is all but phone and I am much fitter

But it's an addiction. Last year, around the same time I had 4 cars and no cycles. Now my home has only one car and 4 cycles
Old 11th October 2014, 12:39   #2082
Senior - BHPian

As some here know, I have a 2012 Montra Rock-I. Since July/August 2012, I have covered about....err...7750 kilometers (Exactly!) on this bike. now, it transpires that I've used about maybe 3 sets of tires.

A] 2x Kenda SmallBlock Eights. (Stock MTB Tyres)

B] Current set- 6 month old Geax StreetRunners, with about 1800 kilometers on them. ( Slicks, as is evident!)

The current set up is bulletproof, having installed the tube & rim linings, no punctures for 1800 kilometers. Touchwood! This, coupled with Schwalbe tubes has really made this thing darn quick, maxxing out at 68ish KM/H. A bit expensive set up, though.

Am running on my second set of rear derailleurs, Shimano Aceras. As it transpires, the cycle is faded, and even though everything else is perfectly tuned, the fact that it is a bit battered is a bit repulsive.

So, I had this brainwave.

What if I install pure road oriented 700C rims onto a regular 26" hardtail MTB?

Is this doable, and has this been done before? In any case, the braking surfaces on my rims (AlexRims DA16, running on Tektro pads + ProMax calipers, always) are badly scored, and are concave.

In any case, I shall replace the rims, by the time the current tyres touch 4k kilometers. That, is about 8 more months.

But, can I try fitting 700C rims? Any drawbacks?
Old 12th October 2014, 07:45   #2083
BHPian

Cycling mask from Totobobo

I am in Bangalore. I realized cycling within city has a problem related to pollution. I was developing asthmatic tendencies. Was using a mask all the time when cycling. I brought this from Amazon but it was not helping.

Diesel engines in particular emit noxious invisible particles which are detrimental. From the online research that I have done, these particles can directly diffuse through lungs into blood stream and has the potential to cause gene mutations and even cancer. So, if you are a cyclist unawares of this menace and taking choked city roads, please beware. The fumes that you inhale can cause damage in long term.

So, started searching in Google and found out Totobobo masks are good ( http://totobobo.com/). The bumsonsaddle.com were selling them but were out of stock for a long time.

I sent a mail directly and got redirected to their HongKong office. Details are:
Email : totobobo.hk@gmail.com and Website: hk.totobobo.com.

Created a Paypal account and ordered online. These masks not exactly cheap but has advantage of blocking even the finest particles including diesel emission. See this: http://totobobo.com/blog/2008/12/the-bangalore-test/

They shipped next day via Hongkong post and the package arrived in Bangalore in 2 weeks time. It was held up in Indian customs for 4-5 days. The staff in Hongkong were extremely courteous throughout the process.

I am yet to use the masks. Probably will start 2 weeks after Diwali which is another big time air pollutor

Last edited by B103 : 12th October 2014 at 07:54.
Old 12th October 2014, 14:56   #2084
BHPian

video that proves bicycle with skilled rider > best 4WD.

@4:15 - heart-stopping!!
Old 12th October 2014, 21:03   #2085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
video that proves bicycle with skilled rider > best 4WD.

@4:15 - heart-stopping!!

Truly incredible. I know we are not supposed to make non value added comments but I could not stop myself.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th October 2014 at 22:24. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our small screen users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks