Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 21:00   #2221
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Which Giant showroom are you referring to?

There are quite a few...hence.

Remember- Ride slow, ride safe.

An incident about y'day-

I was cycling, at my usual speeds. Many here will know that my 2012 Montra is subject to high speeds, yes indeed. Had an accident. Wanted to try out some cornering.

The accident spot was the NCC Circle, Pune. I approached from SB Road side, and attempted to bank a wee bit around the circle, without braking, at speeds of 45 ish KMPH.

Kya hona tha....kya ho gaya. 3k km run slicks slipped for the first time, resulting in a bent seat column, and a very broken and bruised me.

The thing fell on the gear unit. Cannot shift. So- I'm off cycling for a while. And I'll send the bike for a gear change. (Read as upgrade )

For as they say - Every cloud has a silver lining.

Or lets see, an upgrade to a roadie at last?

Oh- another lesson learnt- The shocks were partly responsible. Malfunctioned. So- cycles running on slicks beware.
Sorry about the accidents but slicks are the best on tarmac, wet or dry. they had nothing to do with your crash.

Curious, were you on a descent?
Old 12th January 2015, 21:32   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Could you please post few photos of the damage done if possible? I've seen Firefox bikes with some kind of rear derailleur protection frame. I am just wondering what sort of damage is possible in case of slide or bike coming down heavily on right hand side.
The whole derailleur is covered in one big, nasty scratch. Since I'm running on Shimano Acera's, the whole Acera inscription part has got a scratch thru. it.

And I feel the gearing has obviously gone out of tune, and the SIS Index component, the silver thingy with the smallest gear, below the derailleur, has got a slight bend.

Of course, the little bolts on the component are somewhat loose as well.

Although, in this case the entire thing is salvageable. A protector is not really needed, IMO. My derailleurs took the hit pretty well.

The seat column's alignment has gone for a toss. So has the seat itself. Has scratches.

Time for either a rebuild, or a roadie or to quit cycling altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Sorry about the accidents but slicks are the best on tarmac, wet or dry. they had nothing to do with your crash.

Curious, were you on a descent?
I have mentioned that I was attempting to corner along a track.

The tyres were on their very edge, and although I've managed to do it before, I lost my grip. This with 10 month old, 3k km run slicks.

I'm going for slightly fatter ones next time, the Continental TourRide's for example. Or quit cycling altogether.

If you want to imagine the place, how it happened- Visualize this, you have a slow climb for nearly 3-4 kilometers, and all of a sudden, you have a 1.5 km somewhat aggressive, curvy incline.

You speed up, go down, fly past a couple of speedbreakers, the road then has an approx 50 degree turn.

Bank thru. it at an aggressive angle, another 500 meters (again, approx) of a downhill stretch, and take a 120 degree turn into a junction, entering the Law College Road.

You can see it is almost paradise to explore a cycles handling, particularly with slicks.

I'm sorry to say- I didn't bother with braking, and just had the final 120 degree turn. At speeds very well in excess of 55 kmph.

I've paid the price. Not much bleeding luckily, some bruises, and a hairline fracture.

I was wearing a helmet.

But hey- I'm alive! That matters, right?

Coincidentally BHPian Prabal had an accident in the very spot. 3 decades ago.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th January 2015 at 21:39.
Old 12th January 2015, 22:45   #2223
BANNED

^^Speed went up from 45 to 55? ;-)
Old 13th January 2015, 00:26   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Indeed- yes. I initially wrote 45- but knowing myself, the speeds were likely to be 50+.

Particularly given the fact that I remember a heavy gush of wind in my ears.

Again- I'm sorry as a road user, and as a part of an influential forum that tries to propagate and improve road safety.

All those road user's who witnessed my (earlier) immature riding, cutting cars whenever possible, and particularly my good friends whom I've overtaken very badly, and who yet didn't state a word against my despicable riding.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th January 2015 at 13:55. Reason: As requested
Old 13th January 2015, 14:40   #2225
BHPian

The saddles on these bikes can really put your behinds on fire. I see mixed reviews on the gel seat cover usage. Some are against. Any comments from users?
Old 13th January 2015, 15:16   #2226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
The saddles on these bikes can really put your behinds on fire. I see mixed reviews on the gel seat cover usage. Some are against. Any comments from users?

Im not a big fan of these gel seats. I have a proper brooks full leather saddle. But the most usefull investment if you take your cycling seriously is to get yourself some proper cycle pants with the shammy inlay. No matter what saddle,but these pants make a big difference. My cycle trips back in the Nehterlands are typically between 75-150km. I never wear special clothes other then the cycle pants!

Jeroen
Old 13th January 2015, 18:49   #2227
BHPian

@ Aneezan don't go in for the gel seat covers. Regarding pain it takes a while, as you keep clocking miles the pain will go. And get a good cycling short.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 21:44. Reason: Spacing.
Old 14th January 2015, 14:17   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Im not a big fan of these gel seats.

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
@ Aneezan don't go in for the gel seat covers..
Thanks Jeroen and yogi.
I resisted the urge to buy one. I can see the sore gets better with use
Am currently doing about 20 to 25 km daily on an average. Don't know whether that's low or high for a beginner, but hope to increase the distance during weekends and other days off.

On another note, I exchanged my un-geared bike with a geared Btwin mybike 7s a couple of days back. I can feel the difference already. This is quicker and really helps during the rides uphill.
Old 14th January 2015, 14:51   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

All those road user's who witnessed my (earlier) immature riding, cutting cars whenever possible, and particularly my good friends whom I've overtaken very badly, and who yet didn't state a word against my despicable riding.
I think they are the ones to blame just kidding.
That's not the way to learn but it will be permanent. Get well soon.
Old 14th January 2015, 18:41   #2230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
1. Helmet (Budget 2K)
2. Rear Blinker (Budget 1.5 K)
3. Gloves (Bud 500)
5. Cycling shorts with some padding (Bud 1.5 K)
6. Lock
7. Allen Key ste for seat adjustment.
8. Air Pump with pressure gauge.

Please suggest me a cycle rack for my car,I have an OHC with a spoiler which I would not like to remove to fit the cycle rack.

Suggestions on the brands and alternate store for accessories are most welcome.

I have joined the Giant's riders group for updates on their upcoming rides and would try and start riding with them soon. I stay on NIBM road in Pune and would like to ride with any of you guys around here.
Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling! As for the accessories, definitely do get the padded shorts - you'll get 2-3 options (based on pricing) at Decathalon. If you plan to do any night riding, a front light and and a bib (the orange/florescent colored jacket) would be highly recommended.

In addition to the Giant whatsapp group, I would suggest joining the facebook groups of Giant, Cymour and BOTS too - all three of them have weekly rides across different parts of the city; Giant does about 2-4 rides a week; the latter two generally focus on weekend rides if I am not mistaken.
All rides are generally shared on the FB groups.

Edit: FB Links
Cymour

Giant

BOTS Pune

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th January 2015 at 18:45.
Old 17th January 2015, 09:52   #2231
BHPian

Finally decided to join the wonderful world of Cycling. Ride chosen was Rockrider 5.3 along with 2 other friends in November. I'm so far taking it to work once/twice a week (40 kms including return).
I have completed close to 450 kms in the last couple of months and feeling much fitter + lost 4kgs as well. To me, these rides have been the best possible stress buster and detaches me completely from work when I reach home.
Latest picture of my ride
The Bicycles thread-20141130_162908.jpg

Accessories includes
1. helmet, lock, 3d rear view mirror, bell, water bottle, stand, mud guard, spare tube, LED lights from Decathlon
2. Cycling shorts with gel pad
3. And wonderful pebble smart watch with Strava app enabled as in the picture.
The Bicycles thread-20150112_185648.jpg
Old 17th January 2015, 10:49   #2232
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2015 at 11:41.
OHC VTEC is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th January 2015, 11:58   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
After all the reading on this thread over the last couple of weeks, it would be plain wrong to not post by latest acquisition.
My purchase decision progressed from the fixie B-Twin MyBike to the B-Twin RockRider 5.0 with the grip shifting mechanism, which I ditched last minute after having ridden the Riverside 3 Hybrid sighting not so plush ride and aggressive posture of the Five Zero. Despite that really long drive to the Decalathon store, the Riverside ride was a plan changer.
It had to be a hybrid, but keeping the already slightly stretched budget, it was going to be an entry level. Enter Hercules ACT110 & Montra Trance Pro 2015. With Montra perceived to be higher quality, it was a no brainer between the two. A couple of quick calls for availability, and it was sorted.

Bike: Montra Trance Pro 2015
Category: Hybrid
Size: M
Color: Red
Config: 3 x 7
Fork: Rigid
Accessories: Bottle holder, side stand, grip sponge (stamped Kenda) & Lock
Price: 14,000 Inclusive Taxes

Initial Impression
Nice comfortable posture, upright position compared to Rockrider 5.0
Adequate braking power, zero vagueness.
Lightweight frame, easy to carry upstairs
Notchy left side shifter, could be made to work better with some tuning
Adequate saddle, not too narrow, not wide either, feels just perfect for now.

P.S. Huge shout out to our inhouse cycling experts bblost & yogi1771 for helping out with the endless queries, thanks guys
Hey bro! Congratulations for your ride. After doing little bit of research from my end am too going for Montra Trance or Pro 2015

Just wanted to ask you that which part of Mumbai do you reside and from where did you buy it for that price because on its website too it says 16K.

Little bit of help from your end would make me take the plunge too

Cheers

Last edited by manson : 17th January 2015 at 13:23. Reason: Edited minor slang and deleted extra dots.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:06   #2234
BHPian

I have a question for all the bike experts in here.
I have a Hercules Roadeo A-300 which has just undergone its first service. Everything has become butter smooth again. The only problem I am facing is an issue with the front disc brake. The mechanic working on my bike had accidentally spilled some oil on the disc brake while servicing the front shock absorbers. The strong bite which I used to get which also enabled me to perform stoppies is gone. The mechanic has assured me that it will go after some days. But I am still worried. Please help.
Old 17th January 2015, 13:27   #2235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post

Just wanted to ask you that which part of Mumbai do you reside
Khar, Bandra. I usually cycle around the Band Stand / Carter's stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
from where did you buy it for that price because on its website too it says 16K.
Sardar Cycle Mart located at Mahim. Tel: 022 2436 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
IThe mechanic working on my bike had accidentally spilled some oil on the disc brake while servicing the front shock absorbers. The strong bite which I used to get which also enabled me to perform stoppies is gone. The mechanic has assured me that it will go after some days. But I am still worried. Please help.
Oil is a friction reducing agent, exactly why we use it over rough / noisy hinges, levers and similar hardware. The loss in braking pressure will subside as the oil dries up.
See if you can wipe the disc clean with a micro fiber fabric.

Most Viewed