Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 12:04   #2986
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Pick whatever you can find in Decathlon - can't go wrong with that.
Old 19th March 2016, 19:01   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
too much of a ride.
Planning to change the tubes since tyre treads look fine - what brands should l be looking at ?
Bontrager and Kenda. Firefox can be considered as well if you are just riding on good roads.
Old 3rd April 2016, 06:34   #2988
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello fellow cyclists!

do kindly forgive my poor writing skills

I rode my 26" Hard-Tail Mountain Bike (on normal roads/bicycle paths 100% of the time(I'm stupid emot)) for 6 months before having to take a break and in the 6 months gap that followed, I gained 7 kilos! Now I want to get back to cycling again, but the one thing that's eating my mind away is that I cannot decide between a Racer or a 27.5" Hard-Tail mountain bike. I am a fatty (84kg (lol emot)) and obviously have to lose a few kilos. I hope you can spare a minute or 10 and help me decide! I'll be mainly using it for short rides within city (in Germany) and daily rides of circa 40kms. I will list the for/against points I made for the different types of bicycles.

Fully-Mountain Bike: I rode this type(Hero Ranger 24"(or 21" can't remember) 18-Gear) as a teen for nearly 7 years and I absolutely love it. But I feel that the rear suspension causes power losses while pedalling hard and is hence less efficient comparatively. And I never do proper mountain-biking so it might be less useful for me.

For Hard-Tail, Against Racer:
Toughness- My friend who had a racer had to avoid cobbled streets so as not to damage the 1mm thick wheels (jk) while I could go straight through them, like an SUV. I find this toughness very desirable!

Satisfaction- When I keep up with my friend (a 60kg skeleton(sorry Fred)), while on thick tyres and a bike that's heavier by 7 kilos, and also when I complete rides knowing that I spent that extra energy due to the inefficiencies, I get this weird sense of satisfaction that I love, and would love to get it with my new bike!

Comfort- When I rode my friend's racer, I found the bent down aerodynamic posture very uncomfortable, though I think I can get used to it. And I can carry stuff on a luggage rack (instead of my back), which might not be possible to fit on a racer.

Theft- I feel racers look quite expensive thanks to their sleek and well-designed frames and hence might be quite attractive to thieves. I am not a negligent/careless person who doesn't appreciate the things given to me but I would love to have a peace of mind when I leave it out for a minute or 2 while utilising the services of an ATM machine.

Against Hard-Tail, for Racer:
Same old, same old!- Since I have always been riding mountain-bikes, I feel that a racer can be a great change! And since I am studying to be an Engineer, maybe I should start developing an irrational hatred towards inefficiency (like Maruti hates safety).

Uneven weight loss(yep!)- Now I am not a doctor or a medical person but I can definitely see that my legs have very less fat and are quite muscular, while my upper body is of Lord Vinayaka (no offence). I feel this might be due to the 100 Mega Newtons of effort (jk) required to pedal the inefficient MTB and I hope that a racer might help me lose weight more evenly. Or I am stupid and understood nothing about human body mechanics.

Longer Rides- When your friends ask what was your record distance or when you are a shameless bragger (Oh by the way I did a 100kms/5hrs ride with a broken front bearing), nothing beats cold straight-up triple digit numbers, and explaining why your 100kms ride is also epic because you did it on a MTB, makes you look...lame.

So, thanks for reading my boring post and I really appreciate any help! Here are some pics because everyone likes pics.

My previous companion:
The Bicycles thread-hai.jpg
It's a Hai (=Shark in German) Rookie 26" Hard-Tail. It was given away by it's previous owner and the shop repaired it and was in a fairly good condition. I bought it for ₹15k(EUR 200) and only had a serious front wheel bearing issue once which the shop replaced under warranty.

The Hard Tail I'm considering:
The Bicycles thread-kcp-27.5.jpg
This is the cheapest (₹18800/EUR250)(student budget you see) non-26" hard-tail I could find on amazon and the company seems quite reputable.

Accessories I will be adding:
Luggage rack
The Bicycles thread-luggage-rack.jpg
They usually have a capacity of 5-10 Kilos and attach to the seatpost.

Lights
The Bicycles thread-buechel.jpg
For safety. I really like the design of the reflector of this model (Büchel)

Mudguards
The Bicycles thread-mudguards.jpg
Rs.18k and no mudguard!!

Speedo
The Bicycles thread-sigmasport-computer.jpg
This is a must have if you ask me. It is an excellent tool to keep you motivated.

The racer I'm (not so seriously) considering:
The Bicycles thread-hillside_racer.jpg
This is the cheapest non-single speed racer on amazon. The company doesn't seem reputable (no website even). I will definitely do some research to find a better alternative if I decide to buy a racer but I think I might have to shell out more than EUR 300 for a quality racer.

Accessories:

Better Shifters (brake lever + shifter combo)
The Bicycles thread-shifters_road.jpg
This is more of a convenience mod, and they are...expensive. Like it might end up costing me half the price of the bike itself if I decide to install them. But it can't stop me from drooling over it's amazing mechanism. With the Shimano make, you can simply push the lever inwards, upto 3 steps for shifting up 1 gear per step and pushing the additional lever (the black bit) will shift down gears. The left side is for the front derailleur.

And mud guard
The Bicycles thread-mudguards_racer.jpg

and some others if need be.

Offtopic: A human being can produce .3HP for several hours if he/she exerts him/herself(Source: Wikipedia of course). So maybe we should call ourselves...wait for it...Team-.3Bhpians!!!1 Anyone? No? Ok sorry.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 08:44. Reason: Line spacing
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:06   #2989
BHPian

The Bicycles thread

If u are going to be riding on roads (no matter how bad) you don't need a mountain bike

Go over to bikeszone and read up on it.

Forget the accessories. All I would buy is s good helmet, gloves and a blinking tail lamp.

All the other goodies can come on a need basis.

I am a heavy guy and comfortable riding a hybrid with relatively skinny tires(700x32c) on broken city roads with a mix of concrete and tar.
I do commute to work 2 times a week. No issues whatsoever.
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:00   #2990
BHPian

Hi Folks,

A question to the people who visit Pro-Cycle, Bangalore, or Pro-Bikers, Chennai, often - do either of these places have a Caad-12-105 for sale ?

And if yes, what's the approximate cost ?

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:52   #2991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
I rode my 26" Hard-Tail Mountain Bike (on normal roads/bicycle paths 100% of the time(I'm stupid emot)) for 6 months before having to take a break and in the 6 months gap that followed, I gained 7 kilos! Now I want to get back to cycling again, but the one thing that's eating my mind away is that I cannot decide between a Racer or a 27.5" Hard-Tail mountain bike. I am a fatty (84kg (lol emot)) and obviously have to lose a few kilos. I hope you can spare a minute or 10 and help me decide! I'll be mainly using it for short rides within city (in Germany) and daily rides of circa 40kms. I will list the for/against points I made for the different types of bicycles.

Comfort- When I rode my friend's racer, I found the bent down aerodynamic posture very uncomfortable, though I think I can get used to it. And I can carry stuff on a luggage rack (instead of my back), which might not be possible to fit on a racer.

Same old, same old!- Since I have always been riding mountain-bikes, I feel that a racer can be a great change! And since I am studying to be an Engineer, maybe I should start developing an irrational hatred towards inefficiency (like Maruti hates safety).

Uneven weight loss(yep!)- Now I am not a doctor or a medical person but I can definitely see that my legs have very less fat and are quite muscular, while my upper body is of Lord Vinayaka (no offence). I feel this might be due to the 100 Mega Newtons of effort (jk) required to pedal the inefficient MTB and I hope that a racer might help me lose weight more evenly. Or I am stupid and understood nothing about human body mechanics.

Regarding Bike Choice:
If you are looking for a bike that you can use for both commuting and century rides, my suggestion is go for a hybrid. The hybrid would have the same riding posture as of a MTB which is suitable for commute, has slicker tires for less rolling resistance. So, you will not be wasting so much energy on those long rides, and at the same time can ride in the upright position with a backpack for commuting.

Regarding weight loss:
I was overweight at 94KG with waist size at 40". In the end of 2013, I did a couple of tough HIIT and resistance workouts - Insanity and P90X, where I also watched what I ate. I lost 13kgs in these 4 months and reached a weight of 81kg and a waist size of 36". Then in 2014, I started various activities like cycling, running, tennis etc. In 2014 and 2015, I have completed a couple of 200BRMs, close to 10 century rides, many 10K runs, a half marathon etc. In 2015, I had burnt over 160,000 calories. Due to the high level of physical activity, I thought it is ok not to have a strict watch on the diet. To my surprise, by the end of 2015, my weight had gone up to 89kgs and my waist back to 39". So, the moral of the story is no matter how much you work out, if you are not careful about your diet, you are not going to lose weight.

Recently I happened to read a book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. This book has very good scientific facts about how carbs and sugar are the root cause for the fat store in our middle region, and also the myth about dietary fat being the cause of obesity. Now, I have started following a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet along with my physical activities, and have already lost 4kgs in the past 4 weeks. I will not bore you with details, but if your main food contains sugar (soft drinks, ice cream etc), processed carb (pasta, bread) etc, these are the things you need to cut. Read up on LCHF, Paleo diet etc., to get a better understanding of what leads to weight gain and you will be successful in your weight loss journey.

In short, exercise to be fit and healthy, and watch your diet to lose weight!

Last edited by graaja : 3rd April 2016 at 09:56.
Old 4th April 2016, 00:01   #2992
BHPian

Graaja - Thanks for the insights. I will try to get the ebook. I have been on break since 1.5 years and planning to start again tomorrow morning. Just finished servicing my bike.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:24   #2993
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
If u are going to be riding on roads (no matter how bad) you don't need a mountain bike
---------
I do commute to work 2 times a week. No issues whatsoever.
Thank you for your advice freedom. I will start looking for a good Hybrid bike. I believe they are called Cross Bikes here in Germany.

I'm sorry but I have listed the bare essential accessories here! And front lights are a Legal requirement here in Germany and in India as well; they are invaluable to me on unlit cross country bike paths I find myself on most of the time!

Also I forgot to mention the speedo has a little arrow indicating if you are currently above or below your average speed for that ride. I find this extremely useful for motivating me to keep my speed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Regarding Bike Choice:
If you are looking for a bike that you can use for both commuting and century rides, my suggestion is go for a hybrid.
---------
In short, exercise to be fit and healthy, and watch your diet to lose weight!
Your advice is much appreciated graaja! And congrats on your weight loss. I will start searching for a hybrid on the internets. I took my friend's hybrid for a short ride and I am surprised on how agile it is!

and I just realised 90% of my diet consists of carbs and sugars be it the pasta I eat regularly or the snacks(which I eat too much of). I was under the impression that spending more cals than eating is just enough, incorrectly apparently. I bought the book on amazon now to wait for it to arrive!

I think this will be a good bike for me- Tretwerk Arch 1.0 28"
The Bicycles thread-tretwerk.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 08:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 4th April 2016, 15:37   #2994
BHPian

Guys- Need help

I will be moving to Hyderabad by mid April to study. I have used a cycle upto my 12th in Mumbai (Hercules Bravo 8-12th and one BSA 1-6 th)
I am planning to get a bicycle as soon I am settled in Hyderabad
Need suggestions for a good bike

Usage- Campus to Hostel + local errands
Gears- Required
My Height- 6'3"
Weight- 94 kg
Budget- around 10-15k a cheaper bike is appreciated but didn't find a good one till now.
Suspension- Not a necessity
Brakes- normal brakes will do no need for discs
Seat adjustment- Should be clamp adjustable- My wife is 5'3" hence the requirement
Make- Hero/Hercules (preferably not the Chinese/too expensive ones)

I am keen on one of the Current Hero Octane Series (OCTANE DTB 26T)

Also I need suggestions for a trusted cycle store in Hyderabad who stocks big cycles.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Old 5th April 2016, 14:57   #2995
BHPian

If you can, try and check out the Decathalon range. They are better finished than the Hero Octane bicycles and are very competitively priced too. There is a Decathalon outlet in Hyderabad.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:06   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I am keen on one of the Current Hero Octane Series (OCTANE DTB 26T)

Also I need suggestions for a trusted cycle store in Hyderabad who stocks big cycles.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
If you can, try and check out the Decathalon range. They are better finished than the Hero Octane bicycles and are very competitively priced too. There is a Decathalon outlet in Hyderabad.
There are 3 Decathalon stores in Hyd (Shamshabad, Kompally, Uppal). Rockrider5.0 will suit your requirement fine.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 08:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 5th April 2016, 15:32   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Need an Upgrade Advice.

Currently, I am riding a 2014 Montra Blues - Size 'M' Hybrid.
Nowadays, I find that I am comfortably able to maintain an average speed of 23-25 kmph on a typical run of 40-50 kms. However, if I try to push this average higher, then somehow the cycle doesn't inspire confidence. I seem to have to spend a lot more additional effort for a slight increase of speed. Moreover, the ride no longer remains relaxed.

So - what are my options here? Should I upgrade the components (presently running Acera), or change my Cycle? I am inclined towards getting myself a road bike, but am worried of that due to my cervical problem and weight.

Some Particulars:
Weight - 89 kg
Height - 174 cms
Cervical - C5 and C6 Disc Bulge
Tummy - Practically a Granary!
Cost Limit - 30k INR

P.S. I don't need a MTB. I have no wish to go off road with a cycle. Long straight Runs on a good road, is what I love doing.
Old 5th April 2016, 16:07   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Guys - Need an Upgrade Advice.
Hi, I am no expert on this matter, but here are my observations based on a few bikes I have ridden of my friends and cycling companions over the past few months. I have an MTB and it is an absolute peach to ride on rough bumpy roads and dirt trails.. Give it a straight tarmac road and I have the same feeling once I'm pushing it to 27-28 kmph, no confidence at all.
On the same road cycling my friend's hybrid( I believe it's a Montra Blues only) I could easily maintain 27-28 kmph and the bike felt at ease and so did I.
Then I tried my other friend's road bike and boy was it like riding in the breeze. Excellent average speeds on the tarmac, and was perfect for the straight roads. For bumpy roads and sharp turns, I found it rather unsettling but it was perhaps a matter of habit, which was lacking from my side as my regular is an MTB.

I'm not sure how far any component upgrade might take you, and if the doctor or some expert gives the go ahead for a road bike, I suggest you go for a road bike only, as that will be a substantial upgrade and is perfect for smooth tarmac stretches.
Old 5th April 2016, 16:11   #2999
BHPian

For higher speeds, there are a few contributors. 1. Foot retention. If you use clipless pedals you can pull the pedals as well as push. That increases speed noticeably. 1. Aerodynamic posture. Drop handlebars allow you to ride in the drops when you want to go faster. 3. Lightweight components. Road bikes usually have 23mm wide tires and alloy rims. The wheels on their own contribute substantially to higher speeds.

25kmph over 50 km is a nice pace. Now you are venturing into road bike territory. But, considering your issue with your spine, check with a sports doctor before you ride in the drops. Also, for a reliable road bike, the budget may need stretching. Unless you are prepared to ride a single speed, maybe something like a track bike.
Old 5th April 2016, 22:43   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, if I fall off on the tarmac & got a slight superficial scratch, do I need to take a shot of tetanus ?

Local clinic is closed now at 10:40pm, asking coz I'm not sure if it's urgently necessary.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th April 2016 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks