Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 15:11   #3076
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
While I do not own any of these bikes, I have a Fuji road bike - Altamira 3.0, and I have inspected other Fuji road bikes, I would definitely vouch for Fuji quality.
And Yes, finally got a Fuji Absolute 1.9D
Old 24th May 2016, 15:52   #3077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
And Yes, finally got a Fuji Absolute 1.9D
You started off thinking of Montra / Firefox and you ended up with a Fuji. I'm sure you won't regret your decision. Get a good helmet, some gloves and a nice and bright rear light.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 25th May 2016, 12:11   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
You started off thinking of Montra / Firefox and you ended up with a Fuji. I'm sure you won't regret your decision. Get a good helmet, some gloves and a nice and bright rear light.

Enjoy the ride!
Oh yes, had a lot of thought before buying it. Hopefully it makes my decision a good one.
Since I am new to cycling finding the seats hard, pains like
Will be buying the needed accessories this weekend.
Above all the reason I chose cycling, "LOSE WEIGHT, GET FIT" will hopefully be achieved.
Old 29th May 2016, 19:25   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Guys between mybike and mybike 7s, any real advantage of those gears?

Planning to buy one for exploring nearby locations and burn some calories.

I felt gears 4-7 are pretty same as regular mybike. I could not test on inclines, so no sure about how great help 1-3 gears would be of?

As of now I don't have any serious cycling plans, but who knows if I fall in love? In which case I will definitely need something better than mybike7s

It would be great if someone can help me list the advantage of mybike7s
Old 29th May 2016, 20:50   #3080
AWD
BHPian

Go in for 7S, there is a significant advantage. I would suggest a model higher rather, RR340. It an Alloy frame bike, so lighter than MyBike, 7s.
I first bought a MyBike, then upgraded to 7s. After that there's another model with more gears, finally settled for 340. Front suspension has its own benefits.

Last edited by AWD : 29th May 2016 at 20:52.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:48   #3081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Go in for 7S, there is a significant advantage. I would suggest a model higher rather, RR340. It an Alloy frame bike, so lighter than MyBike, 7s.
I first bought a MyBike, then upgraded to 7s. After that there's another model with more gears, finally settled for 340. Front suspension has its own benefits.
there is another model RR300 which is priced at 10000.

May be i will try to grab a 7s and test its 1-3 gears on an incline. I am looking for weekend drives < 10 kms only. So I guess i will not go beyond 10K unless i really feel the urge and interest that i want to do long distance.

Assuming that 7s can help me explore countryside(rough roads) and cover 10-20 kms without much fuss.

Which saddle are you using ? I felt the btwin default saddles are really a pain in the *** for even few min of riding. They do have some saddles costing 1K or so. Any experience ?
Old 1st June 2016, 07:47   #3082
BHPian

Hi Rajshenoy, I agree with AWD about the BTwin 7s. I ride one too, including on climbs. One of the climbs that I do regularly has "a total ascent of 100.35 metres and a maximum elevation of 57.42 metres" (according to mapmyride), and I usually do this climb on the lowest gear i.e. the biggest cog on the rear derailleur.

Also, I am partial towards steel frames, so I prefer this over my aluminium-framed bikes. The longest distance I have done on the BTwin 7s is about 35 km without any stops. However, I do find the seat is not too comfortable on long rides. I intend to change it.

I have done a few changes to the 7s to make it more capable and comfortable, including changing the handlebar and stem, and adding a pannier rack. I use bags on the rack when required, and a baby seat when I take my son on rides. See attached photos.

The Bicycles thread-dsc04672.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04671.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04669.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04668.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04667.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04666.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04677.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04678.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04681.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc04682.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:54. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 1st June 2016, 08:32   #3083
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
there is another model RR300 which is priced at 10000.

Assuming that 7s can help me explore countryside(rough roads) and cover 10-20 kms without much fuss.

Which saddle are you using ? I felt the btwin default saddles are really a pain in the *** for even few min of riding. They do have some saddles costing 1K or so. Any experience ?
Yes that's what I was talking about but had the model name slipped mind.

So you could either start off with MyBike 7s or 300. Is the 300 a RR

I've used a variety of saddles. You could keep using the stock for a while, when it starts feeling uncomfy, fix a gel pad over it. If things still don't improve, there's a wide comfort saddle available. Let me know if you want one, I have one lying free with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Hi Rajshenoy, I agree with AWD about the BTwin 7s.
changing the handlebar and stem, and adding a pannier rack. I use bags on the rack when required, and a baby seat when I take my son on rides. See attached photos.
Yup 7s suffices if one is not doing long rides.

The mods you've done are good. Is that handle bar from Btwin ? Is it the pannier rack Bclip ? I've got one too. Those are a set of pannier bags, 9L each ?
Old 1st June 2016, 09:40   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
The mods you've done are good. Is that handle bar from Btwin ? Is it the pannier rack Bclip ? I've got one too. Those are a set of pannier bags, 9L each ?
Thanks. The handlebar is a Kalloy, bought via ebay.com, it came from Taiwan. And yes, the pannier rack is a Bclip from BTwin; and the bags are indeed 9 litres each, also from BTwin.
Old 1st June 2016, 09:54   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Thanks AWD once again, and thanks flotsam. I guess i will go with 7s for now and may not need any accessories to start with (May be that gel seat cover and mud flaps for monsoons)

RR300 many say is just a rebranded RR 5.0 I am not an expert here, but for extra 2K i ll get RR brand and front gears 3x . Rest looks pretty same between 7s and RR300.
Old 1st June 2016, 12:12   #3086
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Thanks. The handlebar is a Kalloy, bought via ebay.com, it came from Taiwan. And yes, the pannier rack is a Bclip from BTwin; and the bags are indeed 9 litres each, also from BTwin.
If comfort is a priority, try handlebars from a hybrid bike. As such seating posture is a bit aggressive on the MyBike series.
I had been eyeing those 9L bags since some time now & have a Bclip pannier already. Using bigger bags (15L) on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks AWD. I guess i will go with 7s for

RR300 many say is just a rebranded RR 5.0
Welcome & all the best on your new ride.

Is it a rebranded 5.0 ? I think isn't the 340 also known as 5.0 ? Not sure on this though.

Btw Im facing an issue on the Raleigh Converge folding bike that Im using. The seat post tends to get bent after prolonged usage. The seatpost dia. is 27.2mm. Could someone suggest a good aftermarket solution for the seatpost problem. Its an Alloy seatpost. Also what length would be suitable ?
Old 1st June 2016, 15:03   #3087
Senior - BHPian

A VanMoof has crept up on my radar. Planning to source this bike somehow. Look it up guys, its really something, and the future of Bicycling.

The Bicycles thread-vanmoof.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:55. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 1st June 2016, 16:24   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
A VanMoof has crept up on my radar. Planning to source this bike somehow. Look it up guys, its really something, and the future of Bicycling.
Where is it available. Looks like it is fitted with hub gears. I wonder why bikes with hub gears are not popular in India.
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:08   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Its available in Amsterdam as of now. Batteries are cleverly concealed in the pipes, giving additional pedal power and the cycle is SMART with location assist/locking etc. Google it.
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:02   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Thanks to all for guiding me earlier, on upgrading my Montra Blues 1.1, for better performance. Based on the suggestions I received here, I had installed and benefited hugely, from the Clip-less pedals and cleats; however, the itch to upgrade to something fundamentally faster didn't die!
So, I had been speaking with other fellow riders and scouring the internet forums for Roadie recommendations. Based on what I was reading, I had shortlisted a few Roadies, with the intention of acquiring them sometime towards the third quarter of this year.

But, this weekend, while strolling around GIP Noida, which also houses the Decathlon store, I found one of my candidate upgrades - the Triban 5, to be on sale, at a discount of Rs. 6000. And, consider my surprise, that they had a 54 size available, but it was only for that day, since it was their second anniversary.

A quick check with my wife, followed by a basic Bike Fit check, and I was walking out of Decathlon with my Upgrade about an hour later.

I have, so far, ridden her around 70 kms and the experience is a world apart from my earlier Montra (which I still retain).

The first day was a challenge, in NOT falling off.

The Second day was better and I revised my seat post upwards by around 3 more inches, as I got more comfortable with the riding position.

The Third day, i.e today, began well. We rode around 15 km to our usual turn-back point, and the bike was bedding in with me nicely. But then, things went South. I made a poor choice of roads on the way back, and followed a detour that a guy riding a RR-520 took. That surface was bad, full of potholes and sharp stones, and within 100 meters, I had, NOT one but both tires punctured! I had 1 spare tube, but not 2, so eventually had to hail an auto-rickshaw and return home.

This leads to my question - Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are! I need an upgrade, and urgently so. My priority would be to get a set of training tires, which are reasonably priced and offer good grip and puncture resistance. Where can I pick these up, in Delhi or Noida? Please help.

Last edited by roy_libran : 2nd June 2016 at 14:03.

Most Viewed