Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 10:47   #3166
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Guys, team-bhp member @opendro just completed the Trans Am 2016 long distance 4270 miles ride across America: http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Apparently, he's the first Indian to take part and complete it, that too on a basic bike.
Thanks Ashwin. I'm probably first because not many even know about this event You will see many lined up in the coming years.
Old 13th July 2016, 14:06   #3167
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations for this monumental achievement @opendro.
Old 13th July 2016, 16:14   #3168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I'm probably first because not many even know about this event
Congratulations opendro, on the monumental feat! 4270 miles!! I can't imagine riding that distance even in the wildest of my dreams! Hats off and respect!
Old 21st July 2016, 10:35   #3169
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need help in selecting my bike. Recently I have participated in an MTB event organized by Decathlon Kalamashery, Kerala. Since I was not having a bike, they offered me Btwin Rockrider 500 to participate in the event. I was completely zapped with the bikes performance on the MTB track and since it was my first MTB event the enthusiasm was also very high.

Now after this event the urge of having my own bike for daily early morning ride and weekend rides are more.
Roackrider 500 is around 25k (expensive for a newbie like me)

So I thought to choose between Rockrider 320 or Montra Rock 1.0 2015/Montra Rock 1.1 2015

these three bikes are in the range of 15-20K. Don't want to go more than this amount at present.

I'm 36 yrs with 83kg weight and 169cm tall. Though I play badminton daily to keep myself fit. The bike I'm buying purely for weekend masti along with a cycle rack. I have a Polo and Decathlon is selling a cycle rack at 5k.

Kindly help me out.

The Bicycles thread-img_43001.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_44671.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 23:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Typos
Old 21st July 2016, 10:52   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help in selecting my bike.
I would suggest checking out the Rockrider 340. Last i checked, it was for 13 or 14k. The cheaper Rockriders will get a little boring after you start covering more distances. That one is a nice compromise between features and price.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:22   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I would suggest checking out the Rockrider 340. Last i checked, it was for 13 or 14k. The cheaper Rockriders will get a little boring after you start covering more distances. That one is a nice compromise between features and price.
Thanks natural disaster for the input. Yesterday, I visited The Bike Store in Kochi, they have Firefox, scott, and few more imported brands. The person I met suggested to go for Firefox Target @ 20,000, tyre size 26. I'm not sure whether firefox is good for MTB events. I didn't find Montra rock there, but he suggested to go for Btwin over Montra.

Any riders using Firefox target and Montra Rock 1.0, kindly help me with pros and cons.

Regards,
Imran

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Typos
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:35   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post

Any riders using Firefox target and Montra Roack 1.0, kindly help me with pros and cons.
I am using the Firefox Rapide 21 for the last 2 months and must say pretty happy so far. Was about to buy the Montra Hybrid but, my next door neighbor suggested to avoid Montra as he is using a Montra MTB for the last 3 years and is struggling for parts.

Pls note I stay in Malleswaram, Blr which, is quite close to CBD and if parts in around the CBD of Blr are an issue, I can't imagine the plight of Tier 2 cities.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:58   #3173
BHPian

I don't understand this funda of struggling for parts,as most of the parts are from Shimano or Sram which is used across brands which is easily available in any good cycling shop.
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:33   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I am using the Firefox Rapide 21 for the last 2 months and must say pretty happy so far. Was about to buy the Montra Hybrid but, my next door neighbor suggested to avoid Montra as he is using a Montra MTB for the last 3 years and is struggling for parts.

Pls note I stay in Malleswaram, Blr which, is quite close to CBD and if parts in around the CBD of Blr are an issue, I can't imagine the plight of Tier 2 cities.
Hi Paresh, thanks for your post. But Rapide is a hybrid. I'm looking for an MTB (city road and off-road). My heart is stuck with Btwin RR 500, but price tag is high. so though to limit the total value at Rs 20,000.

Parts won't be a problem at Cochin, we have all big brands here.
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:58   #3175
BHPian

Any opinions here about tyre protectors? Fed up after my second puncture in 2 weeks. My rear tube went last week, now it's the turn of the front tyre.

I have a Fuji Absolute 5.1 hybrid with 700c tyres. Debating whether I should borrow back my old Btwin Rockrider for the duration of the monsoon. Seems like people chose to toss out thumb tacks and nails onto the road in this season.
Old 23rd July 2016, 11:38   #3176
BHPian

If possible change the tyre, the stock tyres are usually bad in puncture protection or get tyre liners from Tuffy, Zefal, etc. Even they provide limited protection.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:00. Reason: Spacing.
Old 8th August 2016, 00:24   #3177
CGB
BHPian

She is my ride. Have changed the wheels to black aluminium rims.
The Bicycles thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:00. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 11th August 2016, 21:12   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Merida Scultura 200 Anyone?

Does anyone here own or has any opinion about the Merida Scultura 200? I was planning to get one as my first modern bike. Can't find too many online reviews. The 300 is certainly kitted better. But I thought I would enter the scene with a 200 and then perhaps upgrade at some point in time in future.
Any opinion will be appreciated.
Old 12th August 2016, 12:32   #3179
BHPian

Re: Merida Scultura 200 Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Does anyone here own or has any opinion about the Merida Scultura 200? I was planning to get one as my first modern bike. Can't find too many online reviews. The 300 is certainly kitted better. But I thought I would enter the scene with a 200 and then perhaps upgrade at some point in time in future.
Any opinion will be appreciated.
I have not ridden the Merida Scultura. However, I can tell you that if you test ride the suitable frame size and find that it feels nice to ride, all should be well.

Sora derailleurs are okay. Not bad. They will do the job quite nicely.

The brake callipers, I am unsure of- since they seem to be unbranded- which would also make the brake pads suspect. Test the braking. If it is reasonable, upgrading brake pads will not be expensive and shall still give you improved performance.

I have used Maxis Detonator tires and they are nice.

Apart from this, the frame geometry, handlebar design and saddle shape are personal choices. I for instance prefer shorter top tubes. So I say, ride the correct frame size and see.

Perhaps it could be added here that if you fall between two frame sizes, it is always preferable to choose the smaller frame, and get a longer stem and taller seat post.
Old 12th August 2016, 14:23   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Prabuddha. I agree with most of what you say. I am going for the 54 size. I am about 5'10" tall. I will perhaps opt for a shorter stem than stock. The brake is unbranded and so is the chain. Not unbranded but a brand with not very flattering online reviews ;-) Let me see how much I ride and how long they last.

Most Viewed