Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2016, 08:52   #3196
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hey, I have been seriously considering getting a DIY Ebike kit online and restart my cycling to work routine. A work recent trip to China completely inspired me with this tech and I want to give it a go, but need to know how to? Below is a link to the DIY EBIKE kit, what battery can I use and has anyone tried using this? Pros/Cons..

Link:https://m.ebay.in/itm/New-48V-1000W-...-/221913410813
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:12   #3197
BHPian

Hi,

Today in the morning, I discovered that my bike's rear tyre has developed a slow puncture. Since I have already had couple of punctures earlier, I intend to change the tyre.

The current tyre is stock (Vittoria Cross XN Pro 700x31c). Before I ordered anything online, I tried googling up tyre size and kinda got confused between imperial/metric or UK/US measurements. I am trying to figure out if I can fit 700x32c or 33c or greater without any issues. If I understand correctly 700 stands for diameter of the rim and 31 is the tyre width, so using 32/33c should be fine?.

Would be really helpful if someone can suggest some good budget cyclocross tyres to go?. Also, as my bike comes with tubeless compatible rims, does it make economic and practical sense to go for tubeless.

Thanks, Confused me
Old 25th August 2016, 14:47   #3198
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm a noob at cycle-tech and am here for some info - I recently got myself a BTWIN MyBike 7s to get back to cycling as a fitness/exercise option. I'm starting to enjoy the ride and had a few questions:

What headlight/tail light options are recommended? I generally dont ride in the dark but in case I need to, I'd rather be prepared.

Second - can I get those extended handlebars (which come from the side and go up - like horns on an animal) for my cycle?

I dont think my cycle was "fitted" to my height when i bought it - should I get it back to Decathlon to get it fitted for my height/riding posture or are there other places in Bangalore (south BLR only pls) that can get it done for me?

Finally, any good apps to track my cycling efforts?
Old 25th August 2016, 15:17   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
What headlight/tail light options are recommended? I generally dont ride in the dark but in case I need to, I'd rather be prepared.
Welcome to cycling.
Search for cycle lights on amazon or snapdeal. These are standard clip-on lights available. Mostly Chinese but does the job. These are LEDs so gives better light. Cost somewhere between 350 to 500. There are expensive lights available but IMO not worth.

Quote:
Second - can I get those extended handlebars (which come from the side and go up - like horns on an animal) for my cycle?
Search for handlebar extensions. Choose whichever you like.

Quote:
I dont think my cycle was "fitted" to my height when i bought it - should I get it back to Decathlon to get it fitted for my height/riding posture or are there other places in Bangalore (south BLR only pls) that can get it done for me?
Go through Bike fit videos on YouTube. You can do it yourself. This should be sufficient but still if you are not happy then take the bike to Decathlon or any other cycle shop.

Quote:
Finally, any good apps to track my cycling efforts?
Strava for sure is best. I am using it personally for 2+ years and very happy.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:31   #3200
BHPian

6+ years on TBHP and just today I discover this bicycle thread.

I am back to my old cycling passion after 25+ years again. Here's my new pride and joy, purchased couple of months ago. Its a hardtail MTB - Scott Scale 770.

The Bicycles thread-scott-4.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:11. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 26th August 2016, 16:43   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

Today in the morning, I discovered that my bike's rear tyre has developed a slow puncture. Since I have already had couple of punctures earlier, I intend to change the tyre.

The current tyre is stock (Vittoria Cross XN Pro 700x31c). Before I ordered anything online, I tried googling up tyre size and kinda got confused between imperial/metric or UK/US measurements. I am trying to figure out if I can fit 700x32c or 33c or greater without any issues. If I understand correctly 700 stands for diameter of the rim and 31 is the tyre width, so using 32/33c should be fine?.

Would be really helpful if someone can suggest some good budget cyclocross tyres to go?. Also, as my bike comes with tubeless compatible rims, does it make economic and practical sense to go for tubeless.

Thanks, Confused me
Yes, 32/33c should be fine. Usually rims too come with a range of tyre widths it can take, but if the current one is 31c, it should take 32,33 c easily. My hybrid bike came with 700 x 23c tyres and I have replaced it with 700 x 54 tyres.
Do you have cyclocross bike? What's your current application like? Do you really ride on slush as well like cyclocross guys?

Tubeless - no tube bursts, slow puncture will allow you ride back home/base.
Old 26th August 2016, 18:58   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Cycle gurus,

I was on the lookout for a cycle for doing my regular gym runs & weekend rides. Today being little free at work, went to decathlon in SJP to check out few bikes. My price range was at max 10k. I went and tested the basic Mybike model and even though it was ok but somehow was not liking it. I then saw rockrider 300 and test rode it. Liked it and was talking to the salesperson regarding the price and other details. Then he showed me the rockrider 340. He said the difference between 300 and 340 was that the 340 had aluminium frame, has a front suspension and can also be adjusted for weight. I being a noob and riding a cycle after quite some could not make out the difference much and also I thought that for my usage it does not make sense to spend 6k more on it.

Came out from there still thinking about the bikes and the pros and cons of each model. Phew it used to be so easy during our school days it used to be a hero mtb or a bsa-slr. Anyways I would want to look out for some other options as well. My price range I have increased to max 12k.

Can you all suggest me some models considering my price limitation and usage? Also it would be helpful if I could get some recommendation for shops/showrooms in south bangalore?
Old 26th August 2016, 23:33   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Yes, 32/33c should be fine.

Do you have cyclocross bike? What's your current application like? Do you really ride on slush as well like cyclocross guys?

Tubeless - no tube bursts, slow puncture will allow you ride back home/base.
Thanks Krishna.

I have a cyclocross bike (Jamis Nova Sport). Till now it's only normal roads, mix of city, highway and village roads. No slush riding till now, in fact far from it actually.
Old 27th August 2016, 13:26   #3204
BHPian

My bad luck with tire continues. Couple of days ago, rear tire had a puncture. I had recently installed new inner tube (Btwin). I was surprised to see flat tire again.

Removed the rear tire. I've become a pro now.
Removed the inner tube, checked the hole multiple time using water tub. Fixed the puncture using standard cycle puncture patch and solution (Diamond company). Checked that it's fixed and re-inserted the inner tube. Filled air but air was coming out from value or somewhere else.
Frustrated, took the tire to a near by small scale cycle shop. When the person removed the tube there were two more punctures. I was shocked
The mechanic told me to use two wheeler puncture repair patch. He fixed it within minutes. Not sure whether this is going to be temporary fix or will get another puncture.

Any thoughts on how and from where these additional punctures surfaced? Is something wrong with the way I am installing the inner tube? this is so frustrating.

Another question.
My cycle chain is completely covered with oil and it's black in color. The oil is applied by cycle shop during servicing. Whenever I remove the rear tire, my hands get completely dirty with oil. I have seen some online videos of cycle maintenance and their chains are super clean, shining. Is applying oil a wrong practice? Should I clean the chain completely and remove the oil?
Old 27th August 2016, 18:48   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
My bad luck with tire continues. Couple of days ago, rear tire had a puncture. I had recently installed new inner tube (Btwin). I was surprised to see flat tire again.

The mechanic told me to use two wheeler puncture repair patch. He fixed it within minutes. Not sure whether this is going to be temporary fix or will get another puncture.

Any thoughts on how and from where these additional punctures surfaced? Is something wrong with the way I am installing the inner tube? this is so frustrating.

Another question.
My cycle chain is completely covered with oil and it's black in color. The oil is applied by cycle shop during servicing. Whenever I remove the rear tire, my hands get completely dirty with oil. I have seen some online videos of cycle maintenance and their chains are super clean, shining. Is applying oil a wrong practice? Should I clean the chain completely and remove the oil?
Hi MP

I am not an expert on this but prima facie, the patch solution seems to be the problem. I used to get these DIY fixes for punctures but observed that the quality varies, i.e. the glue or the compound gives way after a month or so. I faced similar issue of pressure loss after repairing and riding for a month. So what the mechanic suggests may be true.

Also, maybe the inner rims has some sharp objects which is causing the puncture. If possible check the inner lining after removing the tire and tube once.

These are just based on my thoughts. Good luck. Please let me know your findings.
Old 28th August 2016, 15:44   #3206
BHPian

Friends after due analysis, I have fixed onto Btwin Triban 5.

Getting it for 45K delivered.

All reviews point it to be really good.

Any first hand experiences?

All pointers welcome.

This will be my first road bike after Rock rider 300.

Will use it for regular fitness and weekend entertainment regime.

An preferring only Decathlon as no other modern brand shop here at Gandhidham and Decathlon have been reliable and approachable in terms of any service requirement down the time.
Old 30th August 2016, 11:07   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question.
Clean the chain thoroughly with kerosene, an old tooth brush and some rags. If you want to go for the fancy solutions like a 2k chain cleaning device and degreaser etc that's also an option.

After cleaning the chain apply a chain lubricant. Motul is good enough, if you don't find cycle specific lube. Your local bike shop probably applies engine oil, which is thicker. If he is really old school he will apply burnt and discarded engine oil. The bike lubricants are very thin and transparent.

Once you apply the lube wipe the chain clean. It may seem counter intuitive. Why should I wipe the oil after applying it? The point is, the lube should reach inside the joints where the friction happens. When you are wiping out you are just wiping out the exterior where it is not required to be. If it remains on the exterior it will attract dirt and become black.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:30   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
MP, could you please tell me if the punctures were on the inner side or on the outer side? By inner side, I mean the side that sticks to the wheel rim. What pressure do you inflate your bicycle tyre?
Old 30th August 2016, 17:22   #3209

Good to see bicycle thread here. Anyway it is also riding on 2 wheels.
This is what I do when I need/upgrade my bike. I buy the frame from China/ Taiwan through aliexpress and get the components from Wiggle/ Evans/ Chainreaction. Some components I buy from decathlon and then assemble it myself. This not only helps to customize your bike but also ensures optimum cost.
Recently I bought a Bianchi roadbike frame with carbon forks from Aliexpress @ $300 and 105 groupset from Wiggle for another $350, bontrager wheels from Pune for 10K and assembled a bike in 60K approx. which is selling for 1.2 L on the stores.
Old 30th August 2016, 19:37   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Clean the chain thoroughly with kerosene, an old tooth brush and some rags. If you want to go for the fancy solutions like a 2k chain cleaning device and degreaser etc that's also an option.

After cleaning the chain apply a chain lubricant. Motul is good enough, if you don't find cycle specific lube. Your local bike shop probably applies engine oil, which is thicker. If he is really old school he will apply burnt and discarded engine oil. The bike lubricants are very thin and transparent.

Once you apply the lube wipe the chain clean. It may seem counter intuitive. Why should I wipe the oil after applying it? The point is, the lube should reach inside the joints where the friction happens. When you are wiping out you are just wiping out the exterior where it is not required to be. If it remains on the exterior it will attract dirt and become black.
Thanks Sudipto for detailed reply. This is certainly helpful. I think most of the cycle shop mechanic thinks more oil is better. I plan to thoroughly clean the chain this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
MP, could you please tell me if the punctures were on the inner side or on the outer side? By inner side, I mean the side that sticks to the wheel rim. What pressure do you inflate your bicycle tyre?
I have a simple pump without any meter. So not sure what PSI. But I do ensure it's not under-inflated.

Punctures were mixed of inner, side and outer.

Went on cycle ride on Sunday and lightning striked. I had completed around 25 kms and that's when I noticed a wobble in rear tyre
Rear tire was flat again. I was around 7 kms away from home without the puncture kit. Somehow I managed to bring the cycle back home.

One thing I realized after this incidence is; I have ridden on these set of tyres (stock) for approx 1800+ kms. Fast approaching 2k mark
May be this is the reason for frequent punctures. So I have decided to replace both the sets to new tires. Exploring tubeless tyres as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks