Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 22:42   #3211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
One thing I realized after this incidence is; I have ridden on these set of tyres (stock) for approx 1800+ kms. Fast approaching 2k mark
May be this is the reason for frequent punctures. So I have decided to replace both the sets to new tires. Exploring tubeless tyres as well.
2k is good distance on stock tyres. Buy a good set. This definitely is the reason for outer punctures. Wrt to inside punctures, see if you can put a good rim tape. If you need cheaper solution, use insulation tape. Do 2 to 3 runs on the inside of rim so that spokes can't puncture the tube. Been there done that.
Old 30th August 2016, 22:51   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Strava for sure is best. I am using it personally for 2+ years and very happy.
What is your handle there? I am sudiptoroy17@gmail.com
Old 31st August 2016, 05:47   #3213
BHPian

Just reposting, hoping to get some leads.

Friends after due analysis, I have fixed onto Btwin Triban 5.

Getting it for 45K delivered.

All reviews point it to be really good.

Any first hand experiences?

All pointers welcome.

This will be my first road bike after Rock rider 300.

Will use it for regular fitness and weekend entertainment regime.

An preferring only Decathlon as no other modern brand shop here at Gandhidham and Decathlon have been reliable and approachable in terms of any service requirement down the time.
Old 31st August 2016, 11:44   #3214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
An preferring only Decathlon as no other modern brand shop here at Gandhidham and Decathlon have been reliable and approachable in terms of any service requirement down the time.
After the frame a bike is as good as its components - all of which are outsourced from third parties. Check what all you are getting and read up on their reviews individually.

The critical components are the crank, derailleurs, shifters, cassette, chain, brakes, BB set, wheels, tyres, handlebar, stem etc. Not necessarily in the same order. I hope I haven't missed anything. All of these can be upgraded if you like the basic geometry of the frame. The company must give you a detailed break up of these parts - like what is being given for which component.

However, if Decathlon is your only option and they offer service support then there is no need to think too much. No old school mechanic at your local shops will want to touch your modern bike for even the smallest of repairs. So unless you are very good with your own maintenance there is no question of going for other fancy brands even if you can afford them.

Best of luck.
Old 31st August 2016, 13:13   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
What is your handle there? I am sudiptoroy17@gmail.com
mp417 mp417

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
2k is good distance on stock tyres. Buy a good set. This definitely is the reason for outer punctures. Wrt to inside punctures, see if you can put a good rim tape. If you need cheaper solution, use insulation tape. Do 2 to 3 runs on the inside of rim so that spokes can't puncture the tube. Been there done that.
Last time when I had removed the rear tire, I had specifically checked the rim tape and it was in good shape. Still I will replace it during tire upgrade.
In one of the online bike maintenance videos the guy specifically mentioned not to use the electrical insulation tape and it doesn't hold well. However if it has worked for you it should be ok.

Any pointers for tubeless tires or puncture proof tires?

Checked the Tannus brand from Korea. These are rigid tires and fully puncture proof.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:46   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just reposting, hoping to get some leads.
Friends after due analysis, I have fixed onto Btwin Triban 5.
Getting it for 45K delivered.
All reviews point it to be really good.
Any first hand experiences?
All pointers welcome.
This will be my first road bike after Rock rider 300.
Will use it for regular fitness and weekend entertainment regime.
Hi Rohit,

I moved on to the Triban 5 myself, about 3-4 months back, although I envy the price point at which you are getting it!

I typically do 25-30 km rides 3-4 times a week and 1 longer ride (60-100 kms) on the weekend. The T5 has grown on me immensely and I love riding this bike.
I wasn't at all happy with the stock Kenda tires, not because the tires were bad, but because they weren't suitable for the bad road stretches that I needed to negotiate before I could hit the straights. After one too many punctures, I moved on to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which although expensive, have proved to be an excellent tire with zero punctures since.
The rims on the T5 could have been better and I have had two instances of Spoke breakage (but no puncture), so I have learnt to take it easy over bad sections and it's been fine after that. Touch wood!
The Sora groupset meets my expectations from this price-point, no hiccups, no complaints, though I make sure that I clean it and lube it regularly.
No complaint with the brakes either.
The seat, could have been better IMO. The seat contour doesn't have the recess for the inner penis, so you will need a very good quality pair of biking shorts, for your longer rides.
I had some initial concerns with the aggressive riding posture, but notwithstanding my cervical issue, I have zero problem with it.
This bike accelerates very fast, as compared to some other cycles I tried around this price and spec. Maybe it's because of the riding posture, or maybe because of the additional tooth count up front.
Ask if you need some other specific pointers. It's a lovely bike for this price point and Decathlon's service support is stellar, in my area.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited by roy_libran : 31st August 2016 at 14:59.
Old 31st August 2016, 16:10   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hi Rohit,
Roy
Thanks a lot Roy.

In the same price range I do have option of Fuji Sportif 2.3 (45K, Claris shifters) or Fuji Sportif 2.1 (52K, Sora Shifters). Since I do not have any experience of a road bike, could you make it easier for me please.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 31st August 2016, 16:43   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I moved on to the Triban 5 myself, about 3-4 months back, although I envy the price point at which you are getting it!
Hello,

Thanks for this, whilst not a directly related but would you have a viewpoint on the Triban 500FB. Going for Rs. 25K. Is it worth it? Comes with Microshift and Shimano (Acera I think).

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:59   #3219
BHPian

Replaced both the tires + inner tube yesterday.

Went to the cycle shops near Shaniwar vada.
Most of the shops had Kenda (Rs. 600 + 400) and GRL (Rs. 400 + 250). Found Kenda tire to be a bit wide than what I was looking for. More suitable for off-roading. GRL was narrow than my current tire 700-35C. The thread pattern was more suitable for road use. So went ahead with GRL. It's an Indian brand. Total cost Rs. 1360 with fitting.
Didn't explore the expensive options at all (I may upgrade the cycle in near future). The rim tape is in good condition so did not change.

The Bicycles thread-img_20160903_221337.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20160903_221419.jpg

Today cleaned the chain thoroughly first with kerosene. But the oil/dirt was not coming off so used diesel. Then finally used the Motul chain cleaner. Chain looks spanking clean now

The Bicycles thread-img_20160903_221546.jpg
Old 5th September 2016, 15:02   #3220
BHPian

Good to see Bicycle thread here. I recently started cycling after a gap of 20 yrs. Heres my ride..Montra Jazz Hybrid.

The Bicycles thread-20160904_115043.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20160904_115229.jpg
Old 5th September 2016, 22:30   #3221
BHPian

Hello all.
I have been looking to return to cycling for a while. Looking to test the waters before spending big $. So Hero Sprint (26T) is in the list now. Any reviews or alternatives? I have seen a deal for 7100 for this bike. Any negatives that stand out on this (other then the non conventional frame)? Particular one is 18 speed with front disc brakes.

Thanks in advance.
Glen
Old 6th September 2016, 09:06   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Roy.

In the same price range I do have option of Fuji Sportif 2.3(45K, Claris shifters) or Fuji Sportif 2.1(52K, Sora Shifters). Since I do not have any experience of a road bike, could you make it easier for me please.
Not really Rohit, sorry. I haven't ridden on either, but the former has been very recently acquired by one of the riders in our group, so it will be some time before we form a view about this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello,

Thanks for this, whilst not a directly related but would you have a viewpoint on the Triban 500FB. Going for Rs. 25K. Is it worth it. comes with Microshift and Shimano (Acera I think)
Not, going by my limited knowledge. I wouldn't suggest getting anything lesser than a Claris on a Roadie. Smooth shifts matter when you are pushing speed.
Having said that, the combination of design elements from both Hybrid and Roadie is definitely interesting and can make for a relaxed yet quick ride. Do give it a go, if you are interested in only casual cycling, and let us know more about how the experience was.

Last edited by roy_libran : 6th September 2016 at 09:13.
Old 6th September 2016, 20:25   #3223
Senior - BHPian

So, last Sunday, I had my first ever first hand experience of what "bonking" is. I have come across this term a number of times on various bike forums and articles but never thought it would happen to me.
I had gone on a 36 mile route that I had done earlier too. A couple of days before this, I had gone on another 32 mile ride. Anyway, all was going well till 25 miles or so when it seemed I had suddenly hit a wall. I just could not find the strength to continue pedaling. The wind was also working against me so that didnt help either. I found myself dropping to lower and lower gear just to keep going. Turns out that I had run out of all gas in my tank, thanks to very low calorie intake the day before.
Anyway, lesson learnt and from now on, I will always keep a bottle of Gatorade or something like that handy, specially on longer rides.

Anyone else faced something like this?
Old 7th September 2016, 10:47   #3224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, last Sunday, I had my first ever first hand experience of what "bonking" is. I have come across this term a number of times on various bike forums and articles but never thought it would happen to me.
I had gone on a 36 mile route that I had done earlier too. A couple of days before this, I had gone on another 32 mile ride. Anyway, all was going well till 25 miles or so when it seemed I had suddenly hit a wall. I just could not find the strength to continue pedaling. The wind was also working against me so that didnt help either. I found myself dropping to lower and lower gear just to keep going. Turns out that I had run out of all gas in my tank, thanks to very low calorie intake the day before.
Anyway, lesson learnt and from now on, I will always keep a bottle of Gatorade or something like that handy, specially on longer rides.

Anyone else faced something like this?
For rides that last longer than an hour, it is very important to take care of nutrition and hydration. Depending on the amount you sweat, you may require anywhere from half a liter to one liter of water per hour for hydration, and depending on the intensity of the ride, 100 to 200 calories of nutrition an hour which should also include salts. Carry a couple of water bottles (600ml or 750ml) with one bottle with plain water and another with water mixed with (salt+sugar) substitute like Enerzal, Electral etc. Do not wait till you become thirsty or feel lack of energy. Have a sip of water and enerzal alternately every 10 minutes or so. At the end of an hour start adding nutrition in the form of energy bar or gel or banana. I usually take a bar of snicker (the small one) or a banana every hour. Consume only food that are easy to digest and quickly release glucose to the blood stream (like bananas, energy bars or energy gels). Avoid solid food like bread, cakes or pastries or idli/dosa/vada as these take longer to digest and also divert energy to the digestive system thus depriving you of energy to pedal.

Also, have some carbs 30 to 60 minutes before the ride - again easy to digest. This will get you started with enough energy.

If you follow proper hydration and nutrition, you will easily do 60 mile rides.

Happy cycling!
Old 7th September 2016, 11:31   #3225
BHPian

The stock Kenda tires on my Montra hybrid were aging with lot of cracks here and there. One fine day, the rear tire got punctured with a blast. Close inspection revealed that the outer rubber layer had sliced off leading to the tube bulging out slightly.

Realizing that it was time for tire change, I ordered a set of Schwalbe Road Cruiser tires from BOTS. I received them in a couple of days and fitted them on the bicycle right-away.

They seem to be doing great on normal and slightly rough roads. I hope the love continues.

Most Viewed