Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 12:00   #3256
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Picked up a Hercules Roadeo Hardliner. Been successful in venturing out twice in the morning with this so far. Enjoying the rides. Since the area I live is pretty dusty, taking her out any other time is not viable. Only gripe is that the wrist pains since I ride with the seat a bit high. I am told this will take time to get used to.

The Bicycles thread-roadeo.jpg
Old 12th October 2016, 19:51   #3257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

I think RideWithGPS also has an offline mode. I am going to give it a try next time.
Good show! Ironically I faced similar conditions (continuous rain) last weekend when I did the Boston B.A.A. half.

Btw to save battery you can use this on strava - start the ride with connectivity and then go on airplane mode. The app will still record your trip. Just ensure you get connectivity before ending the trip. The app will do the necessary update to display the complete ride with elevation, speed and other metrics.

Have done this back in India - works just fine.
Old 13th October 2016, 19:05   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Good show! Ironically I faced similar conditions (continuous rain) last weekend when I did the Boston B.A.A. half.

Btw to save battery you can use this on strava - start the ride with connectivity and then go on airplane mode. The app will still record your trip. Just ensure you get connectivity before ending the trip. The app will do the necessary update to display the complete ride with elevation, speed and other metrics.

Have done this back in India - works just fine.
Are you still around Boston? I am not too far from Boston myself.

About Strava, if I am in airplane mode then I won't be able to use it for navigation, right? That's equally important to me because most of these rides are new to me. And I dont want to inadvertently end up on an interstate on my bike You can get ticketed for that kind of stuff!
Old 13th October 2016, 20:31   #3259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
About Strava, if I am in airplane mode then I won't be able to use it for navigation, right? That's equally important to me because most of these rides are new to me. And I dont want to inadvertently end up on an interstate on my bike You can get ticketed for that kind of stuff!
In my opinion, Strava on mobile phone is fine for rides lasting an hour or two. If you get serious about biking and start regular longer rides, I would recommend getting a proper Bike computer like Garmin Edge 520/800/1000 which integrate maps and provide long battery life.

Edge 520 is the latest from Garmin and looks quite advanced. I have not used this device (I have a basic Edge 500), but I did a quick read and found this to be quite advanced and should meet your needs. Here is a review from DC Rainmaker.

Garmin Edge 520 Review

Check it out.

PS: Once you get into bicycle gadgets and gear, there is no getting out. I have spent almost equal to the cycle's cost on gadgets and gear, and many times have faced the wrath of the home minister
Old 13th October 2016, 20:33   #3260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you still around Boston? I am not too far from Boston myself.

I was just there for the weekend to attend to the half marathon event. Now back in NC.

I'm not sure if you can use Strava for navigation, I'm guessing it doesn't download any map data prior. But you can set the navigation path on google maps and still refer to it in offline mode. It still works on offline mode keeping only the original route (doesn't adjust to alternative options if you go off-track).
Old 13th October 2016, 23:06   #3261
BHPian

I did not know a cycling related thread in T-BHP. Happy to be part of it.
I have a query. I am presently using a BTWIN My bike without gear. I use it to commute 5km distance on an average per day. I would like to upgrade it. I intend to use it daily now for 15 - 20 km along tarred and potholed roads. Also I found a few cycling enthusiasts and we plan to go for long distance weekend rides. My budget is 20k - 25k.
Actually after reading this thread only I came to know many brands and options. But I am a novice except in pedaling. So please help me.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:42. Reason: Spacing.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:52   #3262
BHPian

I am in market for a good Mountain Bike. Its my Son's choice to go for a MTB which I cant ignore. He is 13 years now and he has used a BTWIN RR340 for couple of years and needs a upgrade now. I am seriously thinking of starting my journey with bicycles again. If things go as planned I would at least use it for 10 KM a day may increase it once i am used to it. We have zeroed in on Canondale Trail 6 which costs me 40K. is the price ok? Also suggest me any other bicycle worth looking at.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:58   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Edge 520 is the latest from Garmin and looks quite advanced. I have not used this device (I have a basic Edge 500), but I did a quick read and found this to be quite advanced and should meet your needs.
The Edge 820 is the latest from Garmin & has gone back to touchscreen,have the Edge 820 with me updated from Edge 510.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:28   #3264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
The Edge 820 is the latest from Garmin & has gone back to touchscreen,have the Edge 820 with me updated from Edge 510.
Wow. Edge 820 is much more advanced than 520.

I had suggested 520 due to its lower price point ($350 for the bundle vs. $500 for the 820) and at the same time having lots of features. This would be a good first step upgrade from Strava on a phone.

Have been planning for an upgrade to the Edge 500, but have been postponing due to fear of repercussions
Old 14th October 2016, 19:06   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'm not sure if you can use Strava for navigation, I'm guessing it doesn't download any map data prior.
I think RideWithGPS has the offline mode where you can download maps in advance.

Quote:
PS: Once you get into bicycle gadgets and gear, there is no getting out. I have spent almost equal to the cycle's cost on gadgets and gear, and many times have faced the wrath of the home minister

Quote:

I had suggested 520 due to its lower price point ($350 for the bundle vs. $500 for the 820) and at the same time having lots of features. This would be a good first step upgrade from Strava on a phone.
Man these things are expensive. My bike cost me only $400
Old 14th October 2016, 20:40   #3266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Man these things are expensive. My bike cost me only $400
Yes. Unfortunately, these gadgets are quite expensive.

I have another suggestion for you. You could get a phone mount for the bike and fix the phone to the mount (you may be already doing this). Get a top tube bag and fix it to the bike's top tube. Get a power bank and put this inside the top tube bag. Run the cable from the power bank to the cell phone. With a big power bank like 10000mAH, you could get all the backup you will need for long rides. This could be a really cost effective solution to your problem.

Last edited by graaja : 14th October 2016 at 20:53.
Old 14th October 2016, 21:02   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
I intend to use it daily now for 15 - 20 km along tarred and potholed roads.Also I found a few cycling enthusiasts and we plan to go for long distance weekend rides.My budget is 20k - 25k.
I would advise you to start window shopping and test riding. Visit all shops, check what's available and then decide.
If u think you can bump up your budget to 35k if you wIt for a few months, then do that.
For ur usage look at hybrids.
Buy a simple reliable cycle form a good brand, don't spend money on cheap bikes which offer 'features'. With cycles, the less complicated and jargon the better.
I had a RR500 and moved to Merida speeder hybrid, very happy with 2 yr ownership.

I am not an 'expert'. I do cycling for commuting and general fitness.
Old 14th October 2016, 21:07   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have another suggestion for you. You could get a phone mount for the bike and fix the phone to the mount (you may be already doing this). Get a top tube bag and fix it to the bike's top tube. Get a power bank and put this inside the top tube bag. Run the cable from the power bank to the cell phone. With a big power bank like 10000mAH, you could get all the backup you will need for long rides. This could be a really cost effective solution to your problem.
That's a brilliant suggestion! I have everything I need for this setup except a top tube bag.
Off to amazon I go
Old 14th October 2016, 21:55   #3269
BHPian

Thank you freedom.
I will definitely go shopping, but thought will get an idea about brands and products before shopping.
Old 14th October 2016, 23:24   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a brilliant suggestion! I have everything I need for this setup except a top tube bag.
Off to amazon I go
You also have cases that have built-in battery bank (2000mAH - 4000mAH); the price is generally around $20-$40. I was seriously thinking of getting one for my 5S sometime back.

That would be a better alternative than lugging around a cable attached power bank.

Most Viewed