Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 14:05   #3286
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Nice one Addy,when do you ride let's meet up for a ride.
Old 15th December 2016, 14:22   #3287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Nice one Addy,when do you ride let's meet up for a ride.
Generally I ride from 5 am - 7 am between Nariman Point and Bandra. I cover about 50 km (includes loops at Reclamation / Seaface / Marine Drive).
Old 15th December 2016, 15:17   #3288
BHPian

I returned the Hercules Roadeo that was bought from snapdeal, as there was a size mismatch. They shipped a M size frame instead of the L frame it claimed to be in the website. I had developed back and wrist pain which could be attributed to this.

I picked up another from from a cycle store at Indiranagar, a Cosmic Flamingo this time. Its an alloy frame, 21 speed, disc breaks on front and rear. Got a good gel padded seat which solves the b*tt pain .
Comparing steel to the alloy frames - Alloy frames will let you ride longer without fatigue. My main aim was to shed the extra kilos, so the alloy frame is not helping me here. The steel frame cycle used to leave me tired after a 45 min ride. I now have to cycle about 60% more. This however is a great bike for commuting. I am able to attach higher speeds on this, have touched 48 kmph on the cosmic.The disc breaks on the bike is really an overkill. I do not feel much difference when it comes to stopping distance compared to V-brakes.
Had managed daily rides on the bike till the cold wave stuck
Old 20th December 2016, 16:25   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks. Out in market to buy two bicycles. One for my daughter and one for self. I have identified Firefox Breeze for about 9790/- for my daughter. I am planning to buy Firefox Target or Cyclone for myself. I am 5'10" and weigh 68kgs. I am planning to use it for local commute, exercising and regular bike trips. I have used Trek 3500 for two years but I have found it to be an overkill for my requirements which is mostly roads and limited rough tracks.
Any suggestions or comments on the choice? How useful are the disc brakes?
Old 20th December 2016, 19:38   #3290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
How useful are the disc brakes?
Honestly, I feel both are the same. I felt that for front v brakes have better stopping power then front Discs. For rear, I find discs to be good.
Old 20th December 2016, 20:17   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Honestly, I feel both are the same. I felt that for front v brakes have better stopping power then front Discs. For rear, I find discs to be good.
Thanks. I will plan to go for the Cyclone V and use the saved money for some accessories.
Old 21st December 2016, 00:29   #3292
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I turned 40 earlier this year. So after close to five years and thousands of kilometers on the Rockrider 5.0, I decided to gift myself a road bike.
What a fine birthday gift to yourself! I applied the same thinking and got a road bike. I did my first ride and my first hill climb this weekend. Some 2k feet and 20miles. I love the carbon fiber frame, it is super stiff and efficient. It was comfy 70F degrees the past weekend. Great weather today as well. I rode it to work.

Trek Emonda S4
The Bicycles thread-poway.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 25th December 2016, 17:43   #3293
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post my query but since it is a bike thread hence I am going to post it anyway. Mods: please move/delete the post it is off thread. Thanks!

I have been deputed in Pune city for an year, prior to that I was putting up in Gurgaon. Since everything (Deputation) was done in the zero hour, I didn’t get a chance to transport my vehicle but I thought let me reach there (Pune) once then I will get my vehicle transported to Pune. Now seeing things here I am in dilemma and I need your valuable opinions on.

- Do people use bicycles here (Pune) to go to work/offices? In Gurgaon, I was living in Shushant Lok and my office was in DLF 9B and I occasionally rode bicycle to work( Depending on traffic conditions).
- Any BHPian working in Business Bay would know if there is a proper parking for cycles there?
- I am staying in Eden Gardens (Viman Nangar) and my office is Yerwada (Business Bay) which is roughly about 5 KMS. If I walk for few meters on foot path, traveling distance would come down to roughly 4Kms (Map Below)
- I could see number of websites who are willing to rent a bicycle for as low as 3K a month, is it worth renting or should I go for buying a new one?
- Lastly, I would also require little guidance on which bike should I go for. I have been riding pretty basic Bicycle so far. I am 29, 6"1' and weigh roughly about 80 kilos.

Looking forward to your replies. Merry Christmas everyone!

The Bicycles thread-screen-shot-20161225-17.16.09.png

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Map Added. EDIT: Image inserted in-line.
Old 26th December 2016, 14:32   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello BHPians,

- Do people use bicycles here (Pune) to go to work/offices? In Gurgaon, I was living in Shushant Lok and my office was in DLF 9B and I occasionally rode bicycle to work( Depending on traffic conditions).
- Any BHPian working in Business Bay would know if there is a proper parking for cycles there?
- I am staying in Eden Gardens (Viman Nangar) and my office is Yerwada (Business Bay) which is roughly about 5 KMS. If I walk for few meters on foot path, traveling distance would come down to roughly 4Kms (Map Below)
-
Not sure how it is gurgaon, but considering the general traffic sense in Pune (Wrong side driving / 2 wheelers riding on footpath), I would surely not recommend riding a cycle to work especially around Yerwada which gets jam packed in rush hours.

Regards
Diesletuned
Old 27th December 2016, 09:04   #3295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- I could see number of websites who are willing to rent a bicycle for as low as 3K a month, is it worth renting or should I go for buying a new one?
- Lastly, I would also require little guidance on which bike should I go for. I have been riding pretty basic Bicycle so far. I am 29, 6"1' and weigh roughly about 80 kilos.

Looking forward to your replies. Merry Christmas everyone!
- Yes folks do ride bikes to office. Back in 2014, when I worked out of Pune, I used to do a 15km ride one side from Lohegaon to SB road daily. A few of my colleagues used to do 5-10 km rides depending on availability of shower facilities at their work.
- Bike parking: Pretty sure there aren't common areas. Invest in a good lock along with the bike and check with your office for parking spots - they might have one.
- Renting vs owning: your call. If you don't want to spend a lot on a new bike, one of the rockrider series of decathalon should be a decent investment for now
- You have average body statistics. Go to a bike shop, try some bikes and pick a hybrid/city bike that suits your style. Most probably a large frame would suit you.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 27th December 2016 at 09:12.
Old 27th December 2016, 15:23   #3296
BHPian

Hi guys,

I used to bicycle regularly until about an year back. I started in 2011 with a ride in Nov that was arranged by TAF (The Atlanta Foundation) and have ever since done almost every TAF ride in Hyd. Until end of 2015. I guess I got bored and lost interest.

I would like to revive my interest again. I would like to do the 26th January Republic ride (100 kms) within 5 hours. I have done this ride around 4-5 times earlier, and have always taken more than 6 hours. This time I want to practice well so that I avg at 20kmph.

Below is what I was planning for. Starting tomorrow-
Name:  2016_12_27_15_00_25_Book1_Excel.png
Views: 1994
Size:  23.5 KB
Couple of points -
* I can only spare 1 hr to a max 1hr 30mins on a weekday.
* In the 3rd week of training, I am riding at 22 kmph for a week. Just want to try out if I can sustain that for 1 hour. I'll fall back to 20 if I find it too much.
* I would like to do atleast one 80km ride before the actual 100km ride on 26th Jan.
* I haven't given any rest day. Knowing myself, I am sure I'll add a rest day on an adhoc basis .

Do you have any suggestion on this training plan?

I still need to work on my nutrition for these 30 days. Any suggestions on that are welcome too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by shifu : 27th December 2016 at 15:26.
Old 29th December 2016, 11:57   #3297
BHPian

^^ The way to improve your speed is interval training & to get an average of around 20 you will need to ride around atleast at the pace of 25 kmph.
Old 4th January 2017, 03:21   #3298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
^^ The way to improve your speed is interval training & to get an average of around 20 you will need to ride around atleast at the pace of 25 kmph.
On my best day, I am at 13mph (~20kmph). This is on a flatter surface that is also a dedicated cycling track with no stop signs. I have a long way to go to be able to keep up with regular cyclists. Pic from my ride this weekend around a nearby lake.

The Bicycles thread-lake.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2017 at 22:57.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:38   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Kicked off 2017 with a 110km populaire.
https://www.strava.com/activities/818075502

This was also my longest ride as per Strava, although i think the one I did back in November was longer because I rode to and back from the starting point.

Anyway, this was my first experience riding with snow on the ground. Also, last populaire, I noticed that without fenders I was spraying water all over. So, I got myself a set of Bontrager fenders and fixed them on the bike before the ride. Also got myself a pair of shoe covers, because vented shoes are not good at all in protecting your feet from cold winds. Maximum temperature that day was going to be 40F, which is like 4C.

The ride was beautiful, winding through small towns and occasionally parallel to a river! Though there was a 3/4 mile stretch of a dirt road that was totally iced over. Had to carefully and slowly ride down that hill. Main thing to keep in mind was not to hit the brakes hard when riding on ice!

I dont know whether I will be able to go for the February populaire. That will probably require studded tires.

Last edited by amitoj : 4th January 2017 at 21:42.
Old 4th January 2017, 22:29   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
I cycle to work 2 times a week in Pune. Been doing it for 2 and a half years now. My commute is 9 km one way. I absolutely love it.

I can zip thru small bylanes if main roads have a jam or just get off the bike, cross the road walking and start riding again.

Pune was once known as a Cycle city, it transformed to a place where its a norm to ignore traffic rules and road etiquette.

Last edited by freedom : 4th January 2017 at 22:33.

Most Viewed