Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 23:34   #3301
BHPian

Well, I am in the market for a cycle. Been to Decathlon and figured out that an L size Hybrid original 500 suits me the best. I loved the riding height, handle bar position,etc.
I already have an Old Hero MTB so I figured out that its going to be a Hybrid due to better riding posture and larger wheels to cover longer distances and the best setup.
Now the offer price @decathlon for the 500 Hybrid model was at 20k with basic accessories... Which is slightly higher than my expectation.
I intend to pickup a Hybrid Cycle with Gears (must) and a Cycle carrier to be fitted behind my Duster for around 15k budget.
Any suggestions? No compromise on Hybrid and Gear setup, that's a must.
Old 5th January 2017, 00:31   #3302
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Kicked off 2017 with a 110km populaire.
https://www.strava.com/activities/818075502

This was also my longest ride as per Strava, although i think the one I did back in November was longer because I rode to and back from the starting point.

Anyway, this was my first experience riding with snow on the ground. Also, last populaire, I noticed that without fenders I was spraying water all over. So, I got myself a set of Bontrager fenders and fixed them on the bike before the ride. Also got myself a pair of shoe covers, because vented shoes are not good at all in protecting your feet from cold winds. Maximum temperature that day was going to be 40F, which is like 4C.
This is very inspiring Amitoj! Longest ride in 40F. It is 60F near my house today, and I could feel the chill. I should certainly quit complaining and get tuff
Old 5th January 2017, 00:56   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I should certainly quit complaining and get tuff
It is easy to be tuff when you have the right stuff

I was wearing a balaclava under the helmet, a base layer for the upper body, a biking jersey over it and a rain/wind cheater jacket on top of it. Plus I had arm covers and leg covers. Hands were protected by gloves.Feet, I have already mentioned.

There are quite a few people who bike regularly around the year here in New England! One gentleman I met commutes 10 miles one way on his bike, every day of the week!
Old 5th January 2017, 01:40   #3304
BANNED

Quote:

I was wearing a balaclava under the helmet, a base layer for the upper body, a biking jersey over it and a rain/wind cheater jacket on top of it. Plus I had arm covers and leg covers. Hands were protected by gloves.Feet, I have already mentioned.

There are quite a few people who bike regularly around the year here in New England! One gentleman I met commutes 10 miles one way on his bike, every day of the week!
Makes perfect sense. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!
Old 5th January 2017, 08:13   #3305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
! One gentleman I met commutes 10 miles one way on his bike, every day of the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Makes perfect sense. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!
Gearing up is all fine. I did a lot of rides in the snowy winter of Chicago in 2015 but then I stopped considering the possibility of having to manage a puncture in that weather. So be ready for such possibilities too
Old 5th January 2017, 21:15   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Gearing up is all fine. I did a lot of rides in the snowy winter of Chicago in 2015 but then I stopped considering the possibility of having to manage a puncture in that weather. So be ready for such possibilities too
Oh yes. That was a big factor playing on my mind. There is no way I would be able to fix a flat in the cold, wearing gloves.
I think while I am out riding, my wife is always prepared to get a call from me, asking her to come pick me up
Old 12th January 2017, 14:54   #3307
BHPian

Bought myself a Firefox bicycle. An yearly pass for early morning biking into the Van Vihar National park, Bhopal, has made cycling such fun. Each day opens one to encounters of the wild kind. Just when you are tired and contemplate a brief stop, a furry wild creature would emerge from the bushes or make its presence felt from afar. With adrenaline pumping, out comes the phone and if I'm lucky, the star stays on for a click.
I carry the bike in my Scorpio with the second row seats fully folded and the jump seats folded up. Creates a huge loading area.

The Bicycles thread-img_2071.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2073.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2087.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2096.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2118.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:03. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 13th January 2017, 12:32   #3308
BHPian

So here's a tricky one for the pundits out here.
Both me and my wife took a new year resolution to start biking. However, as resolutions go, I am not sure we will be able to take it all the way. I am willing to invest money in buying one bike which both of us can use until we get into the habit of riding. First time riders both of us.
Unfortunately, there is a big height difference between me and the missus. I am about 5'10" and she is 5'4" in her heels! Is it even realistic to expect to buy one bike for both of us or are there any options to increase seat height or something when I ride? Am a complete newbie in the bike region and hence would like wiser heads to comment or offer brickbats/bouquets as applicable.
I can visit Decathlon Pune this weekend to buy a bike if the group suggests one.
DJ
Old 13th January 2017, 22:27   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
So here's a tricky one.......
The first and correct answer should be No!
Having said that you could try a S size bike from Decathlon, preferably one of their basic MTBs to see if it works out for both of you.
You'll certainly need to tinker with the seat height for each rider and you'll have more of a problem with the riding position, but it isn't impossible to consistently ride 15-20 kms on a misfitting bike. I'm saying because I've done rides on smaller bikes and as long as the rides are reasonably short, you'll be able to put up with it.
But, bear in mind that the moment you want to make this a habit and graduated to longer and faster rides, you'll need to buy yourself a proper, fitting cycle.

Just wondering, why don't you choose to buy two properly fitting second hand bikes, for the same money?
Old 13th January 2017, 22:41   #3310
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is a big height difference between me and the missus. I am about 5'10" and she is 5'4" in her heels! Is it even realistic to expect to buy one bike for both of us or are there any options to increase seat height or something when I ride?
Nope, that will not work out. riding for short distances in a wrong sized bike is OK, but doing it day in day out is going to be very uncomfortable and you surely don't want any injury.

Some stores have Sunday Rides where you can rent out cycles for 100-200-400 rupees for the ride. Its a good way to start cycling. They have short or medium and longish rides every Sunday. Rentals are good, but owning a bike opens up a lot of options for early morning ride/commutes etc.

I am also from Pune, and I can surely help you find the right bike. Feel free to PM me.

IMO, start with a budget of 30K if you are looking for a good bike. Don't buy a cheap Mountain bikes with suspension and gears and what not. Those bikes will start showing niggles from day one and one day you will get frustrated and stop using it. They are called BSO (Bike Shaped Objects). More on it here

Goto Decathalon and try out. But don't buy until you visit more stores.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2019 at 09:44. Reason: line spacing
Old 13th January 2017, 23:28   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So here's a tricky one ...
No pandit here, but my 2p:

Am 5'8". I picked up a medium-sized Decathlon. I am beginning to feel that I could do with a little larger bike.

In your case - I suggest 2 separate bikes. Apart from something for the height, you both can ride together. Will make it easier to build up on the activity than going alone each time. And not to forget having to adjust the height ever so often.

And yes- go to Decathlon, try the bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
This old Royal Enfield Fire Fly was lying with my sister for a while in Yercaud. It came with some property she bought long time back.
I got this restored at Probikers last week. Except chain and spokes all are original parts.
Awesome !

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2017 at 23:34.
Old 16th January 2017, 12:06   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Just wondering, why don't you choose to buy two properly fitting second hand bikes, for the same money?
The major reason is that it will be easy to get rid of one bike if we both decide that cycling is not for us. Plus, my last experience of moving houses convinced me that we have wayyy too much stuff. So now we only buy things we need at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Couldn't make it to Decathlon this weekend. Was participating in a club tennis tournament and was not good for anything else after playing 6 mini-set matches in half a day. Will try this weekend.
DJ
Old 28th January 2017, 08:00   #3313
BANNED

Guys,
My son has been pestering me to go for a bike since months. I also wanted one primarily for my fitness needs. He is 10 years old and 4'7". Yesterday went for a visit to Decathlon and tried Btwin RR500, 520 and 540. RR 500 was the only remaining piece and was offered at a discounted rate of 20000/ with accessories. RR520 was retailing for 26000 after discounts. Little guy was adamant that he wanted a new piece since there were minor scratches on 500 So went and purchased 520, paid 28994/ including accessories. Opted for a medium frame since we both are using it. (I am 5'8").
The Bicycles thread-20170127_210329.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20170127_210352.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20170127_210518.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:06. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Spacing, typos.
Old 30th January 2017, 16:29   #3314
BHPian

I had a blow out today morning. I approaching a signal and breezed past all the stopped vehicles from extreme left. Signal turned green when I was at the Zebra crossing and just when I was about to pick up speed, heard a loud 'phat'. Moved to the side of the road to inspect.

I am yet to see what caused the puncture, but the edge of the tread has got damaged, probably the tire had already gotten weak. Its a 700x35 C tire. I had replaced the tire just 6-8 months back. I am not happy with Kenda quality.

My other GRL tire at the front (yes it takes a lot less abuse than rear) is going great guns and it probably 1/3 the Kenda price. Check photos https://goo.gl/photos/tk7yd9JCVrt3pxHa9

Last edited by freedom : 30th January 2017 at 16:32.
Old 8th February 2017, 16:08   #3315
BHPian

Finally got myself a Firefox Cyclone D 19.5 frame yesterday. I would like to know the opinion of the experts on its rideability on paved surfaces and short runs. Got myself a good torch and bottle cage fitted along with a good quality pump. Eager to start riding soon.

Most Viewed