Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 18:30   #3316
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I've been cycling on and off for a couple of years now, but the last 8 months has seen me put a complete stop to cycling. A bad knee and the subsequent treatment being the cause.

Planning on getting back to doing short weekend rides to places close to where I stay. Starting slow to make sure I don't cause too much of a strain on my knee.

There are several trails in and around e-city and was looking for company to explore these trails. Anyone from e-city who would be willing to join me on a short trail ride on a Sunday?
Old 18th February 2017, 19:29   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I am a 34 year old male; 164cm tall and weigh 76 KGS. I am planning to buy a bicycle for a daily commute of 6kms (3+3) on reasonably well paved, flat roads with moderate traffic. I will not be using the bicycle for long distances or on steep trails. I am not (at present) passionate about cycling. Buying a bicycle is just a ruse to cut down on my car usage and contribute towards a greener earth.

I do not have a fixed budget, but given the fact that I have never actually used a bicycle for long, I am apprehensive of spending anything more than 10k for this buy . The bicycle should be simple enough to be serviced/repaired at the regular cycle shops.

I have been a regular follower of this thread. But since my case is a bit different, your suggestions can help me pick up an appropriate bike. It really feels awkward seeking suggestions on buying a low priced bicycle from people whose steeds are far more costly and advanced.

Please don't mind.

PS: Gears are not really a necessity. Or, are they?
Old 18th February 2017, 19:44   #3318
BHPian

I was a passionate bicyclist when I was a kid. Had a Hercules MTB DX for over a decade on which I must have covered over 25 - 30k km. I used to venture out of town on the bicycle every now and then, lying to parents that I would be at some friend's place I used to go out more frequently than what I do with my motorcycles now (life in a metro city sucks)

P.S: Owning a 'geared' bicycle was always a dream, didn't materialize somehow

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a bicycle to ride around the neighbourhood on days where I'm too lazy to go for a walk. I also plan to ride to work occasionally. I'd like to start with a very modest budget of 10k. If my passion picks up again I might upgrade. Don't want to start on a big budget now only to have the bicycle end up in a corner unused.

I did search the thread but didn't find any recent post related to it. I was in Decathlon recently, I saw the Rockrider 300 and 340 there. 340 was out of budget. 300 was right in my budget, but seems to be EOL. Would you recommend the 300 for my kind of usage? Any other alternatives?

Last edited by theredliner : 18th February 2017 at 19:48.
Old 18th February 2017, 20:23   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I was a passionate bicyclist when I was a kid. Had a Hercules MTB DX for over a decade on which I must have covered over 25 - 30k km. I used to venture out of town on the bicycle every now and then, lying to parents that I would be at some friend's place I used to go out more frequently than what I do with my motorcycles now (life in a metro city sucks)

P.S: Owning a 'geared' bicycle was always a dream, didn't materialize somehow

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a bicycle to ride around the neighbourhood on days where I'm too lazy to go for a walk. I also plan to ride to work occasionally. I'd like to start with a very modest budget of 10k. If my passion picks up again I might upgrade. Don't want to start on a big budget now only to have the bicycle end up in a corner unused.

I did search the thread but didn't find any recent post related to it. I was in Decathlon recently, I saw the Rockrider 300 and 340 there. 340 was out of budget. 300 was right in my budget, but seems to be EOL. Would you recommend the 300 for my kind of usage? Any other alternatives?
I was in the same situation before I started cycling again. Its all about our lack of confidence which really restricts us to invest more in a cycle when we intend to start. I felt like replying to this because I invested less and bought basic My Bike 7s geared cycle from Decathelon as I was not at all confident about the usage. Infact I was going to buy the basic My Bike but the sales guy at Decathelon convinced me to go for geared one and I am really thankful to him now!

And things started moving smoothly when I started cycling. And with in 3 months of cycling I was regretting of not investing more. Since you were passionate about cycling I would suggest you to increase your budget and go for Hybrids. My Bikes are leisure bikes. And once you start using it you actually come to know the difference. I guess a budget of around 20 K will be good to begin with for a passionate cyclist!

Rockrider series is a good option so you can definitely go for 300. But with full accessories it will cost you around 12K or more.
Old 19th February 2017, 19:37   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
I was in the same situation before I started cycling again. Its all about our lack of confidence which really restricts us to invest more in a cycle when we intend to start.

Rockrider series is a good option so you can definitely go for 300. But with full accessories it will cost you around 12K or more.

Thanks zaheer5776. Even though I was a passionate cyclist back in the day, I don't think I'd be taking a bicycle out as much as I used to. Since I live in a metro, I'd have to fight my way through 10+ km of terrible traffic if I have to clear the city limits. That takes all the energy out. To satiate the desires of exploration, I have a motorcycle. For one off rides outside the city, I don't feel like spending more at this moment. If at all I'm proven wrong and I start riding it a lot and find some serious shortcomings with the 10k bike, I wouldn't mind spending more later on

Your words about 300 are encouraging. I wouldn't mind spending additional 2k for good accessories.
Old 19th February 2017, 22:11   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Greetings,
I've been thinking of doing some cycling in the mornings. Nothing big, just a 30min stretch or so. Friend refuses to let me buy the Heros and Hercules and stuff but that's all i know :P

So for a 6ft male what would be a good city bike costing between 10-15k?
Old 20th February 2017, 20:41   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Cycling is really catching up, way back in 2011 I bought my first expensive cycle and during that time spotting a cyclist was very rare but offlate cycling has become pretty common and people are taking this hobby pretty seriously.

A decade back touring on a motorcycle was considered big, but today many here have taken-up touring on cycles, people easily do 100/200kms on cycles in a 8-12hrs. best part I know many in the age group of 50s and 60s who have taken up this hobby very seriously and are doing extremely well.

Sharing pictures of my bikes, my first bike was Giant Revel 2. A year back i sold it and bought Giant Talon 3.

Will share my experience and learning's on cycling soon.

The Bicycles thread-wp_20151224_09_31_07_pro.jpg

The Bicycles thread-pc4.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:10. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 25th February 2017, 14:50   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I do not have a fixed budget, but given the fact that I have never actually used a bicycle for long, I am apprehensive of spending anything more than 10k for this buy . The bicycle should be simple enough to be serviced/repaired at the regular cycle shops.
I was exactly in your situation a few months back and I got myself a BTWIN MyBike7s for 7999+Accessories =~ 10K at Decathlon. I use it to commute to work (3.5km+3.5km) and I find it pretty much satisfactory for my requirements. I am 5'10" and I got myself the L frame since I found the M size a tad small.

Since it's hot nowadays, I use it to do some early morning biking (since the weather during mornings is much cooler) maintaining the same distance approx.

I initially wanted to get the non geared version (since I did not know whether I'd be really using it regularly) but I found that the gears do help in steep inclines.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 26th February 2017, 19:23   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I was exactly in your situation a few months back and I got myself a BTWIN MyBike7s for 7999+Accessories =~ 10K at Decathlon.
Thank you. Will keep it in mind. However, servicing it in my place may prove to be a headache. Hence hesitating a bit.

Any Btwin bicycle users from places that don't have Decathlon outlets? Your service experience will be of immense use. Please share.
Old 27th February 2017, 08:55   #3325
Senior - BHPian

I think you can look for a used cycles in 15k range, am sure there will be plenty of options. couple of years back i sold my Giant Revel2 for 17k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thank you. Will keep it in mind. However, servicing it in my place may prove to be a headache. Hence hesitating a bit.

Any Btwin bicycle users from places that don't have Decathlon outlets? Your service experience will be of immense use. Please share.
Old 8th March 2017, 23:51   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Did my longest ride so far last Sunday. It was almost 80 miles in below freezing temps.
I was so distracted by the cold that i didn't realize i am putting too much pressure on my hands. Ended up with a numb left pinky finger. Did some internet research and discovered that this is called Cyclist's Palsy and will take a few weeks to heal.

Anyway, so that was the season opener kind of ride of around 127 kms. My goal this year is to do a century ride (100 miles) and some brevets (200 kms) But as I look around the cycling scene, I keep coming across these events called Grand Fondos. They seem to be pretty expensive, though they have better support services than randonneuring.
Old 19th March 2017, 22:37   #3327
BHPian

Rescued this Hero Hawk today.

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0047.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0051.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0048.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0052.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0049.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20170319wa0050.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 19:35. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 19th March 2017, 23:32   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa1955 View Post
Rescued this hero hawk today
Nice. Please restore it. Have a look at pictures of vintage steel bikes on various biking forums for ideas.
Old 20th March 2017, 00:28   #3329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Anyway, so that was the season opener kind of ride of around 127 kms. My goal this year is to do a century ride (100 miles) and some brevets (200 kms) But as I look around the cycling scene, I keep coming across these events called Grand Fondos. They seem to be pretty expensive, though they have better support services than randonneuring.
To what I have observed the Grand Fondos are more attended by pros. I have always found brevets more relaxing. But hey, it's been over a year since I did either; so who knows!
Old 20th March 2017, 01:24   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
To what I have observed the Grand Fondos are more attended by pros. I have always found brevets more relaxing. But hey, it's been over a year since I did either; so who knows!
Hehe the only thing that might have changed in one year is probably the latest in-thing bike.

But if they are for pros, then I better not show up there with my flat bar bike I already get berating looks from the local bike rides that start off from the bike store here. On the other end, randonneurs dont seem to care much for what bike you have.

Most Viewed