Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 06:38   #3331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe the only thing that might have changed in one year is probably the latest in-thing bike.

But if they are for pros, then I better not show up there with my flat bar bike I already get berating looks from the local bike rides that start off from the bike store here. On the other end, randonneurs dont seem to care much for what bike you have.
Nopes they don't. And they are a lot friendlier bunch - last brevet I did (@Wisconsin) I was the last to finish Submitted my brevet card and the organizer closed shop & walked back to the parking lot with me. There I realized my car battery had died. Pronto he got his car next to me and gave me a jump start; and helped me get back on the road.

Btw I have found the flat bar bikes to be better for these brevets than the road bike; but that's my own thought.

Finally warm days are here! My bike hasn't been touched for over a year :( Been focusing on half marathons over the last 18 months. I need to get it completely serviced to the nut; but that costs a fortune out here!!!

Bhpians based out of NY/NJ, any jugaad cycle shop that might be cheaper?
Old 20th March 2017, 07:36   #3332
Distinguished - BHPian

Any leisure/pro bikers in NY/NJ? Let me know if you want to get riding or are interested in joining me this spring onwards; looking to start riding this month onwards. PM me if you are interested

@mods - passed the 30 min mark; if you can merge this with my previous post, please do!
Old 20th March 2017, 23:46   #3333
BHPian

So I have been in Mumbai for close to 5 month for client work. I was always thinking that I should rent a bike on weekends and explore Mumbai. Come the weekend and I used to feel lazy to call up the stores for renting a bike. Plus, 500 per day really did not make sense to me.

Went to a local bike store 2 days back to get a new bike under 10K. I was looking at Mach city bikes as those were the ones that were in my budget. The plan was to sell the bike while leaving Mumbai.

Here is how the conversation went.

Me to the store owner - I want a bike under 10k, bare basic. Nothing fancy.

Store owner - What's your height, sir?

Me - 6 feet 2 inches.

Store owner- Err, Sorry! I got nothing for you in that case.

Store owner(once again) - Wait! I might have something for you. Then he mentioned that there has been a very recent launch of this Montra bike which has got a flip-flop hub. Single speed and a fixed gear.

Me - Show Show!

Me(after looking at the bike) - Do you accept credit cards?

You cannot deny buying this bike after having one look at this beauty. Presenting the Montra Fixie for your viewing pleasure.

The Bicycles thread-img_20170319_092145_3053.jpg

Already covered 100 KMs on it and it is just a dream to ride. I have been riding a mountain bike for the past 2 years and this came as a welcome change.
Old 21st March 2017, 00:24   #3334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post

You cannot deny buying this bike after having one look at this beauty. Presenting the Montra Fixie for your viewing pleasure.

e.

Very smart! What's a flip flop hub?

Jeroen
Old 21st March 2017, 10:09   #3335
BHPian

Looks really cool! How much did it cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very smart! What's a flip flop hub?
Reference - https://www.montaguebikes.com/foldin...fixed-vs-free/
Quote:
On a regular rear wheel, there are cogs on just one side of the hub – the drive side. On a flip-flop rear wheel, there is a single cog on either side of the hub (although you only use one at any given time). One of is a fixed cog, and the other is a freewheel. The freewheel body means that the rear wheel can turn even when you’re not pedaling. In a word, it allows you to coast.
Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:23   #3336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Thanks. I’m familiar with fixed and free wheel cogs, but I have never heard this term or seen this concept on a bicycle. And I come from the Netherlands, the country were the bicycles outnumber the population!

Do you like riding the fixed cog? As the article mentions it it is typically used for very special track races. And I might add, I have in the very distant past used fixed cogs as well. I was part of a (youth) circus and we had a bicycle act. The two wheeler had a fixed cog. Because it allows you better control of the bicycle at very low speeds. And most importantly, it allows you to reverse bike as well! Very important in a circus.

For regular use I would not like to be without my 24-speed bicycle though.
Enjoy your bicycle, looks very neat!

Jeroen
Old 21st March 2017, 12:28   #3337
BHPian

DuoTrap S

Hi, does anyone here use a DuoTrap S sensor, this is specifically for Trek range of bikes?
Need some information on how reliable they are and comments on accuracy they provide.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 19:38. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:57   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thank you. Will keep it in mind. However, servicing it in my place may prove to be a headache. Hence hesitating a bit.

Any Btwin bicycle users from places that don't have Decathlon outlets? Your service experience will be of immense use. Please share.
I had bought BtWin from Decathlon in Bangalore last year. Not serviced it till now. Reason being - I either have to ride it all the way till Decathlon Whitefield or Decathlon Bellary road. Really scared to ride all the way as the traffic is heavy on both the routes.

I am feeling that the gear changes are getting hard and thought of getting it done near to my house. Is it recommended getting the cycle serviced at local outlets? What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
Old 21st March 2017, 13:26   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Is it recommended getting the cycle serviced at local outlets? What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
We are both looking for the same answer here .

Which part of Bengaluru do you live in? If it is of any help, Decathlon has opened a new outlet in ETA Mall, Binnypete.
Old 21st March 2017, 13:31   #3340
Senior - BHPian

I trust Raja Cycle Mart opposite city town hall for service. Traffic is a pain but the guy there is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI
What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 19:39. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:48   #3341
BHPian

Sharing recent experience about Kinetic Fluid Smart Trainer for Bicycles.

http://happyearth.in/?p=187

Cheers,
narayanang76
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:40   #3342
BHPian

Hope this will not happen:

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee studying Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2016 tabled in the Parliament has recommended that pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles be restricted from using main roads and highways in metros. It even recommends a penalty as a deterrent."

Link:

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/57760620.cms
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:58   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
We are both looking for the same answer here .
Guys,
My humble suggestion is to learn basic servicing yourself. By basic servicing I mean the following:
  1. Cleaning - FD, RD, Brakes, Cables, Chain, Levers, Frame
  2. Lubrication - FD, RD, Chain, Cables
  3. Brakes - Replacing Pads, Setting, Tightening/Loosening
  4. FD/RD Adjustments - Two adjustment nuts on both usually, that can be used to set the gear shift thresholds
  5. Accessories - Installing Meters, Lights, Bags, Panniers etc.
  6. Bike Fit - Saddle Height, Saddle position, Stem Position (Shorten/Lengthen), Handlebar angle etc.
These are quite easy to do, and don't take beyond one hour of your time. You will find plenty of YouTube videos to guide you on this as well.

The Servicing items, where you do NEED support from professionals are:
- Hubs
- Bottom Bracket
- Pedals (Mainly because you won't have the correct tools)
- Rims (Again tools)
- Dismantling the FD/RD for thorough cleaning and lubrication (Rarely required)
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:04   #3344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope this will not happen
Some countries are encouraging cycling to curb congestion and pollution. But in our country, you never know what will happen next. Kolkata had banned bicycles on certain roads some years ago. I don't know if the ban is still in place. Still, I don't think such a ban will actually be implemented all over India. There's too much at stake. Just as an example, most of the renowned dabbawalas of Mumbai use bicycles and non-motorised transport to get from railway stations to peoples' homes / offices.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:12   #3345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this will not happen:

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee studying Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2016 tabled in the Parliament has recommended that pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles be restricted from using main roads and highways in metros. It even recommends a penalty as a deterrent."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Some countries are encouraging cycling to curb congestion and pollution. But in our country, you never know what will happen next. Kolkata had banned bicycles on certain roads some years ago. I don't know if the ban is still in place. Still, I don't think such a ban will actually be implemented all over India. There's too much at stake. Just as an example, most of the renowned dabbawalas of Mumbai use bicycles and non-motorised transport to get from railway stations to peoples' homes / offices.
While on a literal meaning the recommendation seems to be really detrimental to cycling. But if it is properly meant especially with the focus more on the road categories than the location (within/outside city), then yes, there is some sense in the plan. We have no restrictions on cycles on state and national highways (other than expressways). As average speeds are getting higher, it's a risk for all (especially for the cyclists) to share the roads.

Rural and urban folks use the highways for their inter-city/village movement. Even our brevets and other cycling races/events are held on routes with the main preference of using highways. The same events here in US are always on interior roads. Globally cycles aren't allowed on the main highways. I see no reason why it isn't enforced in India too.

How they will "implement" it is a different matter.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd March 2017 at 16:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks