Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 08:27   #3391
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
This is my cycle which was bought in 1999.

I used it to go for tuitions, for shopping at the nearby junctions, going to church, hanging out with friends, racing, having fun.

But as I turned 18 and got my license, the cycle was rarely used and was relegated to a spot behind my home where it weathered all sun, rain all that nature threw at it.

Until.... A couple of months back when I suddenly had the urge to restore it.

Finally she's back with me and I hope to recreate that magical feeling of cycling with the wind blowing through my hair.

It's been a year since I put the above post regarding restoration on my cycle.

Though I was occasionally using it, it was only last month I started using it for my regular commute to office.

One major drawback was the absence of rear view mirrors. Riding alongside traffic without rear view mirrors has turned out to be very difficult for me.

A quick check at shops revealed that the mirrors available for bicycles can best be described as toys with no visibility.

Can someone please guide me from where to source rear view mirrors (both sides) for bicycles either in Trivandrum (doubtful) or online and the approximate costs.
Old 1st June 2017, 10:09   #3392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone please guide me from where to source rear view mirrors (both sides) for bicycles either in Trivandrum (doubtful) or online and the approximate costs.
Tried Decathlon?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8158024_3...tml#/180-235-_

I'm sure lots of other online retailers will have mirrors on offer as well. There are many cycling specific websites today.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:04   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
One major drawback was the absence of rear view mirrors. Riding alongside traffic without rear view mirrors has turned out to be very difficult for me.
I regularly commute on city roads with a mix of slow traffic and jams and some sections where cars easily zip past at 60 kmph.
I just stick to a lane (try to occupy the lane). I keep atleast 5 feet distance to the left to account for any parked car/rick/etc.
Don't budge from your lane no matter how much you get bullied by honks and sound of racing the engine with clutch depressed just to scare you away. Give way when your lane is clear and its safe for the vehicle behind to make a safe pass.

When turning or changing lanes etc., i just do hand signals and just turn my neck to see the traffic via peripheral visions. I have got into a habit of turning neck and doing a sort of a shoulder check before changing directions (muscle memory now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tried Decathlon?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8158024_3...tml#/180-235-_

I'm sure lots of other online retailers will have mirrors on offer as well. There are many cycling specific websites today.
Whatever you get make sure its stable on the handle bar and doesn't blur the image due to road vibrations that make their way into the handlebar.

I find mirror placed on the right side below the handle bar to be far more effective than putting it on top of the handle bar

Mirror will help you, but a shoulder check is a must when changing directions.
Old 20th June 2017, 01:49   #3394
BHPian

Can you guys recommend a good digital Odomoter for my bike? I would like this Odometer to record the total miles that I drive on a daily basis. I'm sure an App would work much better, but I prefer to have an Odometer. Any suggestions?
Old 20th June 2017, 10:52   #3395
BHPian

Many available from around 1000k to around 50k, budget first.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 19:53. Reason: Spacing.
Old 20th June 2017, 11:10   #3396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Can you guys recommend a good digital Odomoter for my bike? I would like this Odometer to record the total miles that I drive on a daily basis. I'm sure an App would work much better, but I prefer to have an Odometer. Any suggestions?
Do you have a budget in mind, and also what you want to track? There are simple wired odometers that just show time distance and odo, and there are other meters which have wireless sensors with GPS that also record the route along with much more advanced parameters.
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:50   #3397
BHPian

RAAM 2017 update on Indian riders

For those who have not been following cycling, here is a quick update on this years Race Across America:

http://trackleaders.com/raam17

Two of the Indian riders might become finishers in Solo. No Indian has finished in Solo. Samim Rizvi once finished, but given DNF due to shortage of 40 mins after some time penalty.

Track Colonel Srini : http://trackleaders.com/raam17i.php?...ivas_Gokulnath

Track Dr. Amit : http://trackleaders.com/raam17i.php?...m_Amit_Samarth

Please cheer for them
Old 25th June 2017, 12:08   #3398

Hey guys!

A what-to-buy question- I am planning replace the hercules top gear (yup, I still have one from 2001) cycle that my dad uses.

The problem is - my dad is quite obese (110 kilos) and I am not sure whether a bike like mach city will be able to support that much weight. My budge is max 15K with all accessories included. So brands like Montra are ruled out I guess.

Essentially, would need recommendations for a bike that would stand 110 kilos without any issues and costs < 15k.

Thank you!
Old 25th June 2017, 23:58   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu411 View Post
....Essentially, would need recommendations for a bike that would stand 110 kilos without any issues and costs < 15k.
Hi! I just bought a bike today and yes as of now my excitement might be deluding the actual review for Montra Madrock. I bought it for just under 15k and it's got everything to offer for a beginner. It has an aluminum frame, disc brakes, front suspension,7x3 gear and yes it's a 27.5incher! You can certainly look at Montra Madrock.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2019 at 09:37. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th June 2017, 10:55   #3400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Two of the Indian riders might become finishers in Solo. No Indian has finished in Solo.
And both of them finished within time of 288 hours. Kudos to both of them for breaking the jinx. As they say, things get easier once a barrier is broken. This year saw not just 1 but 2 Indians as solo finishers along with 4-person team of Sahyadri cyclists. Full credit & huge respect to riders & their crew teams.

Ultra cycling has come a long way in India & will continue to grow. Hope to see 'Race across India' in future.

P.S. l had been following them from race start but didn't report here due to DNF in all previous years. Call it superstitious or whatever but it's a different feeling to see a OFCL status on RAAM results page.
Old 27th June 2017, 11:57   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Ultra cycling has come a long way in India & will continue to grow. Hope to see 'Race across India' in future.

P.S. l had been following them from race start but didn't report here due to DNF in all previous years. Call it superstitious or whatever but it's a different feeling to see a OFCL status on RAAM results page.
It is in the making in India https://inspire-india.in/the-great-races/

I was pretty sure that they were going to make it this time. I expected Srini to make last year too. If you want to read how closely I followed with predictions to the minute detail, you can read here : https://groups.google.com/d/msg/bang...k/iKndwU5HBwAJ

Yeah, I know a bit about ultra cycling :-)
Old 27th June 2017, 16:02   #3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Hi! I just bought a bike today and yes as of now my excitement might be deluding the actual review for Montra Madrock. I bought it for just under 15k and it's got everything to offer for a beginner. It has an aluminum frame, disc brakes, front suspension,7x3 gear and yes it's a 27.5incher! You can certainly look at Montra Madrock.

Hey. I had a look at this. Isnt this a MTB? I am looking at hybrid bikes that can handle a lot of weight.

I went to dealer yesterday. I asked whether Mach City will be suitable for a person who is 100 Kilos. And he said initially it will be fine but after 6 months or so, the bike will start giving troubles because of the weight.

He went on to recommend AXN DX cycle by Hercules (Old school cycle). I dont want to buy that because it doesnt have gears + it is MTB. I have no idea what to do now :(
Old 27th June 2017, 21:19   #3403
BHPian

For chennai type of city, you really dont need "multi" geared cycle. Its pretty flat out there, except for the flyovers.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:37   #3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
For chennai type of city, you really dont need "multi" geared cycle. Its pretty flat out there, except for the flyovers.
Hi. Yes I agree. I figured this out after reading your comment. Thanks.

Now looking only for a cycle that can stand weight. Hybrid or MTB is where the confusion still lies.
Old 28th June 2017, 11:01   #3405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu411 View Post
Now looking only for a cycle that can stand weight. Hybrid or MTB is where the confusion still lies.
If you do not have plans to do off-roading, go with hybrid. They are best suited for rides on paved roads. MTBs with the knobby tires and front shocks waste a lot of energy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks